C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Transmission Fails at 2,000 Miles - GM Won't Respond or Repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 02:48 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Why don't we just wait and see what GM is going to do and stop the finger pointing. Good luck OP.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:49 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2527
Your right genius, abuse may not have caused the issue but continuing to drive with a known issue is abuse.

Don't like GM products? Then why are you here?
Because I own 2 of them, modify, race and enjoy the ones I have. Doesn't mean I have to like GM or praise them just because I own them.

How many times on this board have we seen CE lights pop up and owners been told to reset battery and see if comes back. By the way a lot of people are talking, once a car shows any signs of an issue, it should be shut off ASAP, and towed to a dealer because if the car is operated at all after any sign of a failure that is abuse. If this happened on the street, are you suggesting pulling over and calling a tow truck ASAP because driving it any farther is abuse? What if there is a strange noise in the back, park the car and tow it to dealer because if turns out to be suspension/mechanical issue driving it is abuse?

So any qwerks, or noises at all on a new GM car means shut it down, tow it to dealer immediately and don't operate if or it is being abused to a lot of people here, and that is silly.

Last edited by Unreal; 01-28-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:55 PM
383LPE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

based on what happened during the C6Z06 engine era GM will certainly postpone, ignore , etc.. until there is a mass of complaints made, and then just offering the minimum.

Being the first few makes for a long wait. Going legal means funding out of pocket initially while going toe to toe with the general.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:55 PM
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by rexshon
If he recorded with his PDR, then it was "timed". In all of the HPDEs I have attended, they have forbidden timing devices in-car. Timing it makes it a race, even if it is against yourself.
So then taking one's car to the drags (which is also timed) would be an issue as well?
Old 01-28-2015, 02:58 PM
rexshon
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
So then taking one's car to the drags (which is also timed) would be an issue as well?
I would think so.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:58 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Just got a call from my dealer. Service writer told me he got a call from GM late this morning instructing him to order a new transmission.

I asked him what caused the sudden response. He said it might have been due to all the hits on the Corvette Forum. I DID NOT tell them I started a thread on the issue.

He said it would take 5 to 10 days to get it shipped. Not too happy it's going to take so long but maybe they will get it quicker. Lawdogg had his new engine installed in 3 days. Sad part is if they had done this in a reasonable amount of time I never would have made it public.

Thanks to all who made phone calls and other contacts to their GM contacts to help me!

Last edited by rikhek; 01-28-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:01 PM
383LPE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this from earlier........

But he kept driving it on the track in a high speed environment, multiple times, knowing he had a problem. If he had called it quits after a couple occurrences and taken it in, I don't think GM would have a leg to stand on. Yet the OP continued to flog a malfunctioning tranny, and document the abuse to boot.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:02 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
Just got a call from my dealer. Service writer told me he got a call from GM late this morning instructing him to order a new transmission.

I asked him what caused the sudden response. He said it might have been due to all the hits on the Corvette Forum. I DID NOT tell them I started a thread on the issue.

Not happy as he said it would take 5 to 10 days to get it shipped. Not too happy it's going to take so long. Lawdogg had his new engine installed in 3 days. If they had done this in a reasonable amount of time I never would have made it public.

Thanks to all who made phone calls and other contacts to their GM contacts to help me!
Better news indeed. I wouldn't be surprised to see it sooner. Im thinking also your dealer hasn't been pushing the issue within the proper chain within GM. Wish you had the car at sebring though would love to see some real lap times.

We do have some from within the inner circle of corvette among us.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2015, 03:03 PM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

He said it would take 5 to 10 days to get it shipped. Not too happy it's going to take so long but maybe they will get it quicker. Lawdogg had his new engine installed in 3 days. Sad part is if they had done this in a reasonable amount of time I never would have made it public.

It seems that you should request, and get some kind of loaner.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:05 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by jbondfl
Lawyers or no lawyers.
Racing or not racing.
Warranty coverage or no warranty coverage....

The most disappointing thing I see here is the total lack of response by GM. If they aren't going to cover it they should just say so. If they are, and don't want to cover 1000 of the same,,, they should fix it and post up that it isn't a cover-able item and not everyone should expect a courtesy repair..

BUT SAY SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
totally
Originally Posted by Unreal
Because I own 2 of them, modify, race and enjoy the ones I have. Doesn't mean I have to like GM or praise them just because I own them.

How many times on this board have we seen CE lights pop up and owners been told to reset battery and see if comes back. By the way a lot of people are talking, once a car shows any signs of an issue, it should be shut off ASAP, and towed to a dealer because if the car is operated at all after any sign of a failure that is abuse. If this happened on the street, are you suggesting pulling over and calling a tow truck ASAP because driving it any farther is abuse? What if there is a strange noise in the back, park the car and tow it to dealer because if turns out to be suspension/mechanical issue driving it is abuse?

So any qwerks, or noises at all on a new GM car means shut it down, tow it to dealer immediately and don't operate if or it is being abused to a lot of people here, and that is silly.
Just ridiculous
Old 01-28-2015, 03:07 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Hope it all works out for ya and fast but honestly, if that's indeed the reason for the sudden response, GM should be ashamed.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:09 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Old 01-28-2015, 03:10 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rexshon
If he recorded with his PDR, then it was "timed". In all of the HPDEs I have attended, they have forbidden timing devices in-car. Timing it makes it a race, even if it is against yourself.

What about this ^.

I realize rexshon meant this with regard to HPDE's, but on the subject of warranty's, its a different story!

Still have not seen someone post verifiable proof that this is the case.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:11 PM
camaro_zach
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear it worked out, OP!
Old 01-28-2015, 03:11 PM
Rd16rr
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

certainly good that you did post it....it is always good that others hear about the feedback the factory provides....Good Luck !
Old 01-28-2015, 03:12 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Good stuff. I hope they find a way to repair the transmission though instead of having to replace because it seems like quite a few more people will have this issue and that would suck out of warranty.

Early adopters stigma stays true....
Old 01-28-2015, 03:14 PM
Pro

Glad you are getting a new trans...let's hope they have figured out what is causing some of these to keep popping out of gear in the first place.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Fails at 2,000 Miles - GM Won't Respond or Repair

Old 01-28-2015, 03:17 PM
rexshon
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 500

Great - that should restore some faith with the manufacturer.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:19 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Pretty dbaggy of GM to finally response once something gets seen by a few thousand people, sad it has resorted to making everything public knowledge to get the ball rolling on some things anymore.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:20 PM
Pro

It appears the voice internet of the has once again done justice to the consumer!

Quick Reply: Transmission Fails at 2,000 Miles - GM Won't Respond or Repair