C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Info From Actual Z06 Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 09:40 PM
tkbigsky
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Info From Actual Z06 Owners

I just secured an early allocation for a '16 Z06 and would appreciate some honest feedback on your cars. There seems to be a ton of Z bashing on the forums and find it hard to believe that GM got it that wrong. I don't expect many changes for the new model year and want a M7 so could jump ship for a '15 holdover at the right price.

Is the car everything you expected and is the horsepower noticeably greater light to light than my C7? On paper the hp gain is huge but, hard to drive test articles. I don't keep my cars in the garage except for the occasional cruise. I like to drive them hard, like they were built for, pushing my driving skills and struggling to wipe the grin off of my face. Really would like your honest thoughts. Thank you.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:48 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

If you do a search thru this forum you will find plenty of reviews by owners of this car and comparisons to other high profile cars they have owned.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:57 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

[QUOTE=tkbigsky;1589223265]

Its more of the same. Kinda like the difference between the 20oz T-bone and the 24oz porterhouse.

If you honestly like your Stingray you will love your Z. Bet on it.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:03 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I am very happy with my Z06. It is everything my C7 Z51 was with more of it. It is, as expected, substantially faster than the base or Z51 C7. My buddy's C7 Z06 with the A8 and DR's was convincingly quicker and faster than my 991 911 Turbo at the drag strip, same day, same lane. I have no real complaints about the car, other than some minor details that I think GM could improve.
I would consider the source of most of the bashing. The vast majority not only don't own or haven't driven a C7 Z06, but they're not C7 owners either.
S.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:19 PM
fpfaeth
Burning Brakes

Received 422 Likes on 194 Posts

As a Ferrari owner and previous owner of several Porsches (including a GT3), I think the Z06 is the most superb combination of sports car capabilities available anywhere, at any price. No car has given me such enjoyment, even while driving in horrendous weather here in the northeast. (Winter mode actually allowed me to get up my ice-covered driveway -- I was amazed.) You cannot go wrong.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:24 PM
tkbigsky
Instructor

Thanks so far, love my Z51 just want more. I was a Porsche guy in the past and love the twin turbos, especially the awd piece. Then Z is about half the price which leaves room for other toys.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:26 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The 911 Turbo is a fantastic car, probably one of the best out there. The Z06 compares VERY well to it.
S.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:46 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

Brutal, terrifying beast, yet refined....

Since you requested honest thoughts .....

If you are buying it so you can get stoplight to stoplight more quickly then it may get expensive with the po-po....the stingray would be as quick stoplight to stoplight, unless you are contemplating full on WOT launch/ pulls on a city street....

But this is a beautiful machine and I love everything about it!!!
Old 03-19-2015, 10:50 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Anyone that doesn't love this car's performance & handling hasn't driven one! I was a diehard C6 427 guy, which I still love the C6 styling more, but this C7Z does just about everything (99%) better and effortlessly.

I think GM unwittingly built one of the best GT cars at any price. It is an excellent DD, touring, drag race, road race, canyon carver, show car, etc. It is so comfortable, so smooth, so powerful, so technologically advanced, and maintains the fun factor while being able to be driven by anyone's granny.

Things I don't like are the paint (which I Expelled), the creaking roof (I bought washers), and I just don't like the rear end styling (most do, I prefer the C6 styling). I looked very hard at the Viper, GTR, and Porsche GTS (2011-2012), but in the end, I would not have been as happy overall.

I have zero regrets buying this car at MSRP, and I would say at this early juncture (3k miles), it is the best car I've ever owned taking into context all the pluses and minuses.

The power is there, especially the 650 ft. lbs of torque (@3600 rpm), when you want it, but if you just want to putt around it is very smooth and well mannered. The valve train, is quiet as is the SC, (as I prefer), and the car is more configurable for the driver's preference than most of the competition.

Well worth the 94K I paid!

2 yrs free maintenance and 5yr 100k warranty, are you kidding me????
Old 03-19-2015, 11:41 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by tkbigsky
I just secured an early allocation for a '16 Z06 and would appreciate some honest feedback on your cars. There seems to be a ton of Z bashing on the forums and find it hard to believe that GM got it that wrong. I don't expect many changes for the new model year and want a M7 so could jump ship for a '15 holdover at the right price.

Is the car everything you expected and is the horsepower noticeably greater light to light than my C7? On paper the hp gain is huge but, hard to drive test articles. I don't keep my cars in the garage except for the occasional cruise. I like to drive them hard, like they were built for, pushing my driving skills and struggling to wipe the grin off of my face. Really would like your honest thoughts. Thank you.
Hear you, but man.....it's the internet......I kind of expect things to be fairly nasty as it a window into the human mind.....

The real question is why is everyone so sensitive these days. .?

On the question at hand.....you asked for owners responses....I am not.....Yet....but have a build/vin, as of today.

Apparently that was all my buddy needed to know, and he actually let me drive his today.
I had only been a passenger until today.

All I can say is.....been in some fast cars....this thing is sick! Bring extra undies!

Last edited by DLC7; 03-19-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:52 PM
phoenix1017
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love everything about the car except the paint (and this would be nit-picking). Worst paint I've ever seen on a $90,000 car. I'm just saying.... But I sure do love driving it!
Old 03-20-2015, 12:05 AM
tkbigsky
Instructor

Very familiar with the paint as I have a Z51 now. Nothing a quick color sand and buff can fully remedy. Most of all the new vehicles struggle with paint. It is amazing how a great custom paint shop can lay down the color but, you are then looking at a $10,000+ cost.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:14 PM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Quick solution to your question: Find one in a dealer lot, test drive it, then order it. 100% positive you will have no doubt. The hard part is the wait between the test drive and the delivery of your new Z06.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

I am on the fence -- between ordering a 2016 Z06 or 2015 GenV viper.

April car and driver gives a good write up -- almost too good for the Z06 - praised its handling.

I am not an owner -- but the biggest technical concerns I have is the displacement on demand, direct injection and 1st year for the a8 and m7 - thats why i would wait for the 2016. I would also hope they work out the paint issues. If it were the quality of my c6Z i would be more than satisfied.

Lets see what the recent owners are saying.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:43 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,654 Likes on 414 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

It's a terrible car.

First of all it is waaaay too fast, handles so well it disproves Newtonian physics, and forget about any tooth fillings if you brake too hard. It sounds like a leopard boinked a bear, and you can't keep it clean with all the women throwing their gross panties at it.

It's a nightmare!
Old 03-20-2015, 04:10 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

Default Actual Owner

I am a 66 year old gearhead who has owned numerous muscle cars in my short "LOL" life. 66 Vert, 69 427, 435hp Vert and 2002 Vert. Let me tell you what a smoking hot machine the C7 Z is. It is plant you in your seat, shrivel your ***** fast! As soon as I saw it I had, had , had to have it. It take a lot for cars to make my heart beat fast, but the Z does it in spades.

Vic

My new baby in the showroom

My 69 L71 Vette. It was a great ride. Sold it 6 years ago.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:11 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
It's a terrible car.

First of all it is waaaay too fast, handles so well it disproves Newtonian physics, and forget about any tooth fillings if you brake too hard. It sounds like a leopard boinked a bear, and you can't keep it clean with all the women throwing their gross panties at it.

It's a nightmare!
Now that's funny. LMAO.

Get notified of new replies

To Info From Actual Z06 Owners

Old 03-20-2015, 04:18 PM
zo6 08
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
It's a terrible car.

It's a nightmare!
Ha!
Old 03-20-2015, 04:21 PM
zo6 08
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 125 Posts

Get it! Get Z07 if you have the$$ I would get comp seats!! In didnt order these things and regret!
Car STILL AMAZING!!
PROMISE YOU! Funnest ride you'll ever own!!
Old 03-20-2015, 04:37 PM
tpapablo
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To answer your questions - yes, the extra horse power is noticeable. That's putting it mildly. Bat out of hell comes to mind. And it more than met my expectations. It's capabilities amaze.

Quick Reply: Info From Actual Z06 Owners