C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Looking for a good dealership in or around AZ

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 02:40 PM
VetterFlyer
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

www.taxrates.com/state-rates/arizona/
Maricopa county is 6.3% plus City taxes 2.0 to 3.0%
Yavapai county is 6.35% in VOC plus 3.0% in Sedona ( somehow it gets to 10.7% in Sedona).
Also, note that the A8 transmission is $1750. Option Plus a Gas guzzlers tax of $1300. Or a $3000 pop over the M7 (no gas guzzler tax).
Old 04-19-2015, 04:41 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I know what the tax rates are.

What i want to know is: Does the state attempt to collect city and county tax when you register a car bought out of state, or do they just want to collect the state tax rate?

I am in unincorporated Yavapai, though for mail delivery the address is Camp verde.

I do not live in the city, and have no wish for DMV to try and collect 4% for a city I don't actually live in.

Doug
Old 04-19-2015, 05:14 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

DMV just collects the registration/yearly fee.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:46 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Unreal
DMV just collects the registration/yearly fee.
I found the info on the AZ DOR site.

State tax only gets paid. DMV wants proof it has been paid.

"If you purchase a vehicle from an out-of-state dealer or
manufacturer, the Department of Transportation will
require, at the time of vehicle registration, proof that tax
was paid in the state of purchase and that the amount of
state tax paid is equal to or greater than the applicable
Arizona use tax rate. If tax was not paid in the state of
purchase or was less than the Arizona use tax, the
Department of Transportation will require that the use
tax be paid at the time you register the vehicle"

Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 04-19-2015 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Found out answer
Old 04-20-2015, 02:06 AM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Default State tax only...

Originally Posted by AZDoug
I was wondering how that works.

Do you just pay sate sales tax when you register the car since it was bought out of state?

How about county tax?

I think AZ state sales tax is 5.x%, which is better than paying 8.x% when county and city taxes are added.

Doug
I paid state tax only since I didn't buy it locally in Gilbert where I live. I saved $2,200 by buying out of state.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:08 AM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Default I agree....

I would just order out of state. There is no local dealership worth dealing with.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:38 AM
Fawk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to give Doug a call from Gilbert Autonation, based on Awesome King's positive experience. He sounds like he knows what he is talking about and is read to work directly with me. I plan to take my CSR/CSC in for appraisal, but have a feeling that the "rarity" factor is not going to give it any more leverage in trade in. I'll probably get the trade in value of a Z51.

I guess their dealership doesn't have any additional 2015 allocations for the year, but the Scottsdale location still has 3. I'm a little torn on getting the extended 2 year warranty on the 2015 through the Scottsdale dealership and holding out for a 2016 and getting a shorter warranty. What would you guys do in my position, wait it out for the 2016 and just get on the list now?

I plan to order the 7M, blue laguna, upgraded seats, black stripes, black wheels and probably the A2 package...possibly with the transparent roof. I'm not sure if the transparent roof is going to be rough during Arizona's summer times. Any opinions are always appreciated on my "dilemmas".
Old 04-20-2015, 11:48 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

As far as warranty, I doubt I will drive my car more than 2-4K miles per year, so it really isn't an issue, though shortened years in effect, may be a consideration.

In my experience, things usually either fail early, or after quite a while, not in between.

The ONLY reason I am buying another new GM product, is because of the Z06. I swore GM off after various, though relatively small problems, with 7 prior new GM vehicles and said to hell with GM and bought a Toyota Tacoma instead for my last vehicle.

My experience with my other GM stuff was problems in the first 6K miles, or after 80K miles or ridiculous stuff like 10 cents plastic push in trans cooler line connectors that break and you need to drop the trans to change....

Doug
Old 04-20-2015, 11:57 AM
Fawk
Instructor

I'm probably looking at 6k miles per year. I was in heavy debate on a Viper vs a z06 for my next car, but my wife's experience with multiple Dodge dealerships on her Durango and corporate Dodge has made me cast aside ever getting a Dodge again. Plus I was conflicted and wanted to stay loyal to the Corvette.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:50 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

I live across the street from that Gilbert Autonation, and would never step foot there. My one experience was enough to make me put them on the list of crappy chevy dealers that seem to be more common than good ones.

Good luck.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:02 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Default Gilbert Auto Nation

I also live near Gilbert Auto Nation. I stopped by there once to inquire about service on my C7 (bought at Kerbeck) and when I asked the Service Advisor if they had a certified C7 tech on staff his answer was..."gee, I don't know, I'll have to ask"...I got back in my car and left. Overall, they didn't seem to interested in servicing my C7. I'll continue to use Thorobred in Chandler, even though they aren't the best either. At least I have a long working relationship with the service advisor and he takes good care of me.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:05 PM
Fawk
Instructor

It sounds like it will be a rocky purchasing experience if I buy from a local dealership. I'll test the waters with the Auto Nation in Gilbert on Friday, and I may stop by Vans again on Thursday. If I'm not satisfied I'll explore ordering from out of state. It is unfortunate that such an expensive and nice vehicle is likely going to be a relatively stressful process.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:30 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Ordering out of state will save you money and hassle.

I went into the Gilbert one for recall on my 06, they had no parts on the shelf, took 4 weeks to get. Then told me only way to have it done was drop car off for the whole day for a 15 minute job. Took it to Coulter Cadillac who had all the vette recall parts in stock, and did it in 15 minutes as I waited.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:53 PM
Fawk
Instructor

Ordering out of state will save you money and hassle.

I went into the Gilbert one for recall on my 06, they had no parts on the shelf, took 4 weeks to get. Then told me only way to have it done was drop car off for the whole day for a 15 minute job. Took it to Coulter Cadillac who had all the vette recall parts in stock, and did it in 15 minutes as I waited.

I'm unsure about the total cost savings, but it is worth exploring. The trade in value on my current car is a bit over $30k, so that will offset some costs on taxes. Your recommendation is go with Kerbeck and then have it shipped to AZ? Does Kerbeck help arrange delivery or do you go with a third party? I'm just very unfamiliar with ordering out of state. (thanks in advance).
Old 04-20-2015, 02:16 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Fawk
The trade in value on my current car is a bit over $30k, so that will offset some costs on taxes.
That is true in AZ, but not all states.

AZ credits the value of your trade in towards sales tax assessment.

If you buy a $100K car,and have a $30K trade in vehicle, you only pay sales tax on $70K. They figure you already paid sales taxes on that vehicle, so you won't get double taxed. Unlike CA, for example.

In Gilbert, you would save about 2.x % if you buy a car out of state, so with your trade in, it may, or may not be worth it to you, to ahve car dumped of at a receiving dealer vs buying one locally,and having them do all the good stuff like go over it with you, fill it up with gas, etc.

Doug
Old 04-20-2015, 03:04 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Kerbeck is one good dealer, there are tons of others.Check out the forums sponser area. I would buy one then just fly in and drive it home personally.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:12 PM
Fawk
Instructor

Well I got final approval from my wife to proceed with ordering one. I'd entertain buying out of state and flying out to pick it up...but I'd have to find a reliable dealership relatively close to Arizona. I'll try to look through the sponsor area, thanks for the recommendation Unreal. I'm leaning more towards getting on the list for the 2016s than trying to order a 2015. There are a few features I am unsure of, but this is my likely build out:

1LZ, Laguna Blue, Black Rims, 7M, dual carbon flash stripes, transparent roof, Competition Sport seats. I'm undecided if I'll get one of the ground effects packages added. I think they look great, but I worry about road conditions ruining them.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a good dealership in or around AZ

Old 04-21-2015, 06:17 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Just checked with USAA buying service to get a price on a Z to see if they honor a USAA discount. Two dealers in Phoenix allege to honor it but both are over MSRP. One was $10K over MSRP. What a joke.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:41 PM
Fawk
Instructor

I've been making the rounds at the local dealerships and had some face time with Doug from Gilbert Autonation. Nice guy, seems genuine etc. Unfortunately there are 2 folks who have orders pending allocation at the dealership, and if I commit to a deposit I am third in line. I'm not liking the idea of having to wait possibly months for an allocation to become available, and then go through the build and delivery process. My current Corvette is not getting as much in trade-in value as I'd hope, so I will have to test the waters by selling it privately.

I'm going to continue to check around some of the forum sponsors....This is a weird experience since my past car purchases were for cars readily available on lots, and I had dealers swarming to make a sale.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:36 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Who were the over MSRP dealers?

Thanks,
Doug

Originally Posted by jim2092
Two dealers in Phoenix allege to honor it but both are over MSRP. One was $10K over MSRP. What a joke.

Quick Reply: Looking for a good dealership in or around AZ