C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 C7.R vs 2016 Viper ACR

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 07:00 AM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
That is one freaking ginormous wing!

Attachment 47883983
Look my wing is bigger than yours.....who gives a f...
Old 05-09-2015, 07:27 AM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdm23
I'm trying to figure out why people keep acting like the C7.R Edition Z06 is anything other than an appearance package. The car is a Z07 with a Jake decal on the hood. The ACR Viper is a hard core track car that hardly anyone wants to live with for day to day driving. The Viper will be good for its intended purpose and it should be. No comparison between the two cars imo. They just have different purposes overall. I think Chevy wasted the C7.R name on this car. It would've been cool had this car been a hard core track machine like the ACR. But using that storied name just for a decal and some sill plates is kinda lame.
Great reply. This is the discussion I was hoping would follow. It's almost 10 years now since the C6 Z06, which was a focused effort to take on the Viper. We know GM has the capability to do something brilliant, but it seems to lack the will now. Yes, I know sales of such cars are low, but these are the machines that maintain the credibility of the brand and are bought by club racers and a few guys like myself who want an unapologetic *** kicking sports car.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:02 AM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by racezx9
Are you buying one or the othe. What's your point
While the Viper ACR is very tempting, I am actually embarking on a program to keep my C6 Z06 competitive while we wait for GM to pull it's head out it's corporate *** and recognize that even a couple hundred highly focused cars will do an enormous amount to keep the whole Corvette brand from becoming a flaccid poser of a track car. While Dodge introduces another incredible and capable ACR Viper GM gives us this?

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...-z06-c7-r.html

"Chevrolet Introduces 2016 Corvette Z06 C7.R Edition
Track-to-street connection honored with limited production model
"

I would rather they honored the "Track-to-street connection" with some serious hardware. The last time I looked at the real C7.R I must have missed the "yellow contrast stitching and striped wheels with yellow brake calipers". What I saw was AP Racing, BBS, Pratt-Miller, and whole raft of serious performance components that could be incorporated into a real track capable Corvette in same way they were in the Z06X concept car of a few years ago.

At some point, if you ignore customers long enough, they will go elsewhere.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:24 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 393 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
While the Viper ACR is very tempting, I am actually embarking on a program to keep my C6 Z06 competitive while we wait for GM to pull it's head out it's corporate *** and recognize that even a couple hundred highly focused cars will do an enormous amount to keep the whole Corvette brand from becoming a flaccid poser of a track car. While Dodge introduces another incredible and capable ACR Viper GM gives us this?

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...-z06-c7-r.html

"Chevrolet Introduces 2016 Corvette Z06 C7.R Edition
Track-to-street connection honored with limited production model
"

I would rather they honored the "Track-to-street connection" with some serious hardware. The last time I looked at the real C7.R I must have missed the "yellow contrast stitching and striped wheels with yellow brake calipers". What I saw was AP Racing, BBS, Pratt-Miller, and whole raft of serious performance components that could be incorporated into a real track capable Corvette in same way they were in the Z06X concept car of a few years ago.

As much as I agree with you on the C7.R Edition, Chevrolet is playing to its niche of a mass produced brand versus the limited Viper. Viper has to do an ACR to keep it's limited market coming back. Corvette can afford to lose some of the fringe in a trade for more mainstream buyers. It ends up being more $$$ for them. Not saying that's how it should be done but it's business first.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:30 AM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 147 Posts

And $10k in decals make the Z how much faster????ACR all the way coming from a guy who's had both.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:45 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

So, do you think the Z06 C7.R will beat the ACR? That was the question I posted, not if the Viper sucks or if the brand is going to go out of business, or if it's a better road car than a Corvette. Will the Z06 C7.R be faster? After all Chevrolet told us it's the most track capable Corvette ever.
The C7R is no better or faster than any other Z06, so why ask this? If and when GM come out with a hard core track pack Z06 which was mentioned is possible in future then we can talk. The C7R is nothing but looks.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:00 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 145 Posts

As a z07 owner, the ACR should **** all over my car at the track. So what?
Old 05-09-2015, 11:12 AM
mfain
Drifting

Received 890 Likes on 404 Posts

Anybody see the weight listed for the ACR?
Old 05-09-2015, 11:23 AM
Flyboy22
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

IMO, the new ACR is really limiting its potential by not adding more power. All that aero needs more grunt to really get the most out of the platform.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:54 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 881 Likes on 451 Posts

I'm trying to figure out why people keep acting like the C7.R Edition Z06 is anything other than an appearance package. The car is a Z07 with a Jake decal on the hood. The ACR Viper is a hard core track car that hardly anyone wants to live with for day to day driving. The Viper will be good for its intended purpose and it should be. No comparison between the two cars imo. They just have different purposes overall. I think Chevy wasted the C7.R name on this car. It would've been cool had this car been a hard core track machine like the ACR. But using that storied name just for a decal and some sill plates is kinda lame.
Thank you! Those who are comparing ACR to "C7.R" (as GM's ultimate track weapon) is fooling themselves. Consider this, I think the Viper has 3 variations:

Viper: SRT, T/A, ACR.

Corvette: Stingray, Z07, ???
Old 05-09-2015, 12:23 PM
rocknroller
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The real question is:

Why do the mods on this forum continue to allow these obvious bait threads?
Old 05-09-2015, 01:24 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Nurburgring!

Originally Posted by bpsmokinhot
How many road courses are hitting higher than 180?
The last straight has freee time! The ZR1 last sat at around 185, which, is a good extra safe speed for the Z06 now! The 918 probably hit 200 there juicing it up!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 05-09-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:36 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, I know sales of such cars are low, but these are the machines that maintain the credibility of the brand and are bought by club racers and a few guys like myself who want an unapologetic *** kicking sports car.
You make good points. Problem is for every serious track guy there are 500 wanna be guys who drive the car for image and an occasional burst of acceleration. There is no reason gm could not ship stripped cars to a firm like katech, pratt&miller, etc. and have them finish the car in an off road package. I think this could be ecomonically feasible for 100 to 150k per car. GM would not provide a warranty and the car would not have to be certified for street use. It would weigh a lot less and could have decent cooling and aero. It is ridiculous to expect the car to be all things to all enthusiasts and still be a great all day track car. Does anyone with a brain think gm would or could warranty a car that has the p-ss run out of it all day at a track and not have some limiting factors in place?
Old 05-09-2015, 02:27 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by bpsmokinhot
For those that keep saying the ACR can't be driven every day you are totally wrong and anyone who has owned an ACR will tell you the same thing.

What is comical is whether it be an ACR or a Z06 who would want to drive it everyday anyway, real sports cars should be driven as a treat not a DD.

The fact is you can cry about wings and use ability all you want, the ACR will set the bar real high and GM has never had an answer for it.
Come on now!!!! We all know that reducing the number of radio speakers to three and having to live with "lightweight" carpet will make the ACR undrivable on the street.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

This didn't take long the ACR looks like a bad boy but Dodge has practically died on the vine with their new Viper sales, despite it being a pretty bad ace car. ACR isn't anything new though... get me their Hellcat-Viper blown version and I'd find myself in my first Dodge ever
Old 05-09-2015, 02:36 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm trying to figure out why people keep acting like the C7.R Edition Z06 is anything other than an appearance package. The car is a Z07 with a Jake decal on the hood.
I'm trying to figure out why people keep acting like the C7.Rice Edition is anything LESS than a Z06 with Z07. That's a pretty good car.

The ACR Viper is a hard core track car that hardly anyone wants to live with for day to day driving. The Viper will be good for its intended purpose and it should be. No comparison between the two cars imo. They just have different purposes overall. I think Chevy wasted the C7.R name on this car. It would've been cool had this car been a hard core track machine like the ACR. But using that storied name just for a decal and some sill plates is kinda lame.
I'm sure YOU would actually buy such a "hard core track machine," but the next 29,999 people who demand one won't, no matter how tough they talk online. Only if Z06 sales tank at some point would I guess we'd see a Corvette ACR.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:44 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

They sure will ... hmmm, 2015 YTD sales:

Viper 231
Z06 8,000+

Looks like Bowling Green IS the elsewhere.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 C7.R vs 2016 Viper ACR

Old 05-09-2015, 03:22 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
They sure will ... hmmm, 2015 YTD sales:

Viper 231
Z06 8,000+

Looks like Bowling Green IS the elsewhere.
Lets not pretend that the "gotta have it now" crowd will keep that up for the Z06. Numbers will drop off dramatically if history is any indicator after the first 1-2 years. After the first two for the ZR1 they fell into "Viper" territory for numbers moved a year.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:42 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by harlold
Lets not pretend that the "gotta have it now" crowd will keep that up for the Z06. Numbers will drop off dramatically if history is any indicator after the first 1-2 years. After the first two for the ZR1 they fell into "Viper" territory for numbers moved a year.
The ZR1 went through a bad time for all. It was GM's limited car.
To be begin with.
Nothing to do with sales of this Z06. Better times less expensive of a car. The Z06 should sell more look at the history of the Z06 not ZR1.
Don't compare dismal Viper sales either!
Old 05-09-2015, 03:45 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
The ZR1 went through a bad time for all. It was GM's limited car.
To be begin with.
Nothing to do with sales of this Z06. Better times less expensive of a car. The Z06 should sell more look at the history of the Z06 not ZR1.
Don't compare dismal Viper sales either!
Then go look at sales of the C6Z as well if you want, because it is the same exact thing.

Sales won't continue at this brisk pace. Just the way it is. To think so is crazy.

Good for Chevy for now, but it just ain't going to happen.

Quick Reply: Z06 C7.R vs 2016 Viper ACR