C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 01:45 AM
Catchmeifyoucansam
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snorman
So I am not misunderstood, I am simply looking for data that correlates with these failures you have stated occurred on-track. VinnieA just placed first in a NASA event at NJMP with a stock C7 Z06 without such issues. A number of us have ran these cars pretty hard without such failures.
I would like to know if these issues are unique to you and your car.
S.
I have seen 2 other cars run similar times at cota and all of us had the same issues. Don't know what to say outside of that. The guys from spring mountain posted an entire thread a while back in jan. The other guy just started running similar times and is complaining about the same thing. My car is completely stock other than the CCW's and take off slicks
Old 05-25-2015, 05:27 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

So I am not misunderstood, I am simply looking for data that correlates with these failures you have stated occurred on-track. VinnieA just placed first in a NASA event at NJMP with a stock C7 Z06 without such issues. A number of us have ran these cars pretty hard without such failures.
S.
Vinnie admittedly only ran 3 laps a session, which is about all you get in Time Trials. He was also on stock tires which provide less roling resistance, and require more throttle feathering and wiating during cornering. And NJMP isnt nearly as long as COTA nor has as many complex turn sequences or time at WOT.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:34 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S.
While I can't speak to the day he ran on, it has also been a pretty darn cool spring here in the Philly / NJMP area. Small number of laps in TT + cool ambient temps could explain the difference.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:08 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Catchmeifyoucansam
Once you start running it hard you'll see it. Most guys don't see any issues right away. Once they get faster and used to the car everything starts failing. I agree with the handling. The chassis is great and the suspension is some of the best I've felt on a street car. Car does need more negative camber though. Crazy amount of potential but I don't see gm taking responsibility for its problems. This is the last gm car I'll buy. I've convinced myself 3 times now to buy gm and each time the cars required modifications just to run properly
So all Z06s owners that run on the track fast will mean everything falls apart?
Old 05-25-2015, 08:37 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm not trying to prove anything. I am asking if you have PDR data to support your statements regarding lap time, limp mode, etc.
You apparently don't, then claimed that your 3LZ car didn't have a PDR after previously stating you couldn't figure out the PDR.
Are you hiding something?
S.
I'm not sure why a few of you always try and discredit someone who posts their issues here. The entire "guilty until proven innocent" stuff gets old. It is well documented that these cars are having overheat issues on the track. Asking the grilling questions is just an attempt to try and find someone lying about something.

Your own car has had the heating issues, which you resolved by doing a few heat management and coolant tricks, and having to short-shift it manually to keep it out of the rpm. Vinnie only ran 3 laps at a time.

BTW, 2'23 is flat out hauling *** on COTA. It is obvious this guy drives very well and can push a car hard. Anything sub-2'30 on that track is very fast.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:56 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NineBall
I'm not sure why a few of you always try and discredit someone who posts their issues here. The entire "guilty until proven innocent" stuff gets old. It is well documented that these cars are having overheat issues on the track. Asking the grilling questions is just an attempt to try and find someone lying about something.

Your own car has had the heating issues, which you resolved by doing a few heat management and coolant tricks, and having to short-shift it manually to keep it out of the rpm. Vinnie only ran 3 laps at a time.

BTW, 2'23 is flat out hauling *** on COTA. It is obvious this guy drives very well and can push a car hard. Anything sub-2'30 on that track is very fast.

"Vinnie only ran 3 laps at a time".

Yes and others running 25 min sessions seems a few minor adjustments really help - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-issues.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...underbolt.html

Last edited by GP1224; 05-25-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:02 AM
Jwood02
Intermediate

Once you start running it hard you'll see it. Most guys don't see any issues right away. Once they get faster and used to the car everything starts failing. I agree with the handling. The chassis is great and the suspension is some of the best I've felt on a street car. Car does need more negative camber though. Crazy amount of potential but I don't see gm taking responsibility for its problems. This is the last gm car I'll buy. I've convinced myself 3 times now to buy gm and each time the cars required modifications just to run properly
Has anyone tried running distilled water and Water Wetter? I am switching to Water Wetter before next weekend to see the changes in temps. I know it won't make a significant difference but every little bit will help.

If needed I will go with a larger tank for cooling. Weapon X has one that looks easy to install. Maybe Meth injection as well.

I am fine with these simple mods and I love the car. Racing is tough on cars but my 2013 ZL1 ran hot but never pulled power on the track last summer and it was hot out at the time. The car was great but a heavy pig for the track. Why does that car not need mods to run 9/10ths for 25 min sessions in 95 degree heat but the most capable track Corvette made does?

Do not tell me that I should need to mod the Z06 to track it. No matter what all of you say, you should not need to mod this car to run hard at HPDE's.

I am not a pro. My 10/10ths is no where near Randy P's. Mine is more like 8/10ths of his.(maybe). My point is that I can't run it to its full potential and it shouldn't overheat with me driving.

Again, I have only run once and had no issues. Car is awesome. I will report back after this weekend. I am not a basher. I own two Z06's bc I was so impressed. One is s dedicated track car and one for street. I wasntvplanning on modding the track car except for weight reduction and saftey equip.(roll bar, race seats, gut interior...)

Report coming soon.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:05 AM
Catchmeifyoucansam
Racer

Originally Posted by GP1224
So all Z06s owners that run on the track fast will mean everything falls apart?
Yes, as far as I've seen on the c7zo6. The other two guys I mentioned had the exact problems as me. One had a problem I didn't have which was some power steering issue. All had over hearing, fuel starvation, ceramic rotors falling apart and shifter popping out of gear
Old 05-25-2015, 09:12 AM
Catchmeifyoucansam
Racer

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Vinnie admittedly only ran 3 laps a session, which is about all you get in Time Trials. He was also on stock tires which provide less roling resistance, and require more throttle feathering and wiating during cornering. And NJMP isnt nearly as long as COTA nor has as many complex turn sequences or time at WOT.
The other two I spoke of were on stock tires. MSR Houston is a 17‑turn 2.38 mile course and Texas world speedway is a 2.9 mile course with longer sweeping turns. If I don't ease off every other lap it will goes in to reduced power mode after 3 laps max. I tried once doing back to back run sessions switching with a friend and that's just not possible.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:25 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

"Vinnie only ran 3 laps at a time".

Yes and others running 25 min sessions seems a few minor adjustments really help - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-issues.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...underbolt.html
I think you just like to argue.

Despite what you might think, I'm glad to see actual racers out there trying to figure out what works, and seeing some positive results. We aren't in the hottest part of the year yet, however. I'm more curious about what changes Chevy makes, as they have begun to recognize these issues.

All that being said, it still doesn't fix the issue of my post above. The attacks on people that post problems about their cars here. That needs to stop. People being vocal about it are what drive solutions to be found.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:30 AM
Catchmeifyoucansam
Racer

Again, I have only run once and had no issues. Car is awesome. I will report back after this weekend. I am not a basher. I own two Z06's bc I was so impressed. One is s dedicated track car and one for street. I wasntvplanning on modding the track car except for weight reduction and saftey equip.(roll bar, race seats, gut interior...)

I'm not trying to bash the car guys. I'm just warning ya'll because I never got a warning. It's an expensive mistake for anyone to make. I love the chassis, balance and how it requires a driver to tame it when everything is off but like I said before. The bad out weighs the good for me. This was supposed to be a car I planned on using for the next couple yrs after removing weight and safety equipment
Old 05-25-2015, 09:33 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

The other two I spoke of were on stock tires. MSR Houston is a 17‑turn 2.38 mile course and Texas world speedway is a 2.9 mile course with longer sweeping turns. If I don't ease off every other lap it will goes in to reduced power mode after 3 laps max. I tried once doing back to back run sessions switching with a friend and that's just not possible.
One after another in the last few weeks have been using the 80/20 mix and water wetter and running full sessions. That might help.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:36 AM
Catchmeifyoucansam
Racer

One after another in the last few weeks have been using the 80/20 mix and water wetter and running full sessions. That might help.
I'll give it a try if I get the car back from the dealer
Old 05-25-2015, 09:49 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

I think you just like to argue.

Despite what you might think, I'm glad to see actual racers out there trying to figure out what works, and seeing some positive results. We aren't in the hottest part of the year yet, however. I'm more curious about what changes Chevy makes, as they have begun to recognize these issues.

All that being said, it still doesn't fix the issue of my post above. The attacks on people that post problems about their cars here. That needs to stop. People being vocal about it are what drive solutions to be found.
I think you just like to hear yourself talk alot!!

Regardless, the 80/20 mix and WW is looking very good so far. When you see guys saying they cant run more than 3 laps when others as shown running 15-25 min sessions and even winning at TTU then a coolant adjustment might just be the ticket. Very simple as well.

All that being said, I never said that Catchme was not telling truth, but that you cant tell people that their Z06s will simply just "fall apart" just because your car and 2 others had a few issues that were the same. That doesnt really make sense and not when there are 8000 a year made, but I think he will try the mix and hopefully have a better run next time. Failure rate is simply a numbers game.

Last edited by GP1224; 05-25-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:56 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Save the crap.
I asked if he had PDR data, which is a very reasonable question. A few comments he made were not consistent, which I questioned. I would like to know how quickly his car is heating up and why (outlap temps to limp mode/262*). His car has had some very unique problems including destroying a set of CCB's, which is very uncommon AFAIK, and having a fuel pressure issue, also very uncommon thus far.

Some of us are out tracking our cars and sharing data and steps we are taking to control temps. Some are sitting in the sidelines b$tching about other members and providing nothing but white noise (not referring to Catchmeifyoucan).
S.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:58 AM
tambeng
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you just like to hear yourself talk alot!!

Regardless, the 80/20 mix and WW is looking very good so far. When you see guys saying they cant run more than 3 laps when others as shown running 15-25 min sessions and even winning at TTU then a coolant adjustment might just be the ticket. Very simple as well.

All that being said, I never said that Catchme was not telling truth, but that you cant tell people that their Z06s will fall apart just because you and 2 others had a few issues? That doesnt really make sense and not when there are 8000 a year made, but I think he will try the mix and hopefully have a better run next time. Failure rate is a numbers game.
I think to be more objective, the problem is only when people are pushing the car to the max on the track. Therefore if we want to check the failure rate, it will be based on how many people are tracking this car and how many are experiencing the overheating issue. I am not sure if anyone knows that number but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit high.

I agree with you though that hopefully the 80/20 mix and WW will solve the issue.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:09 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

I have seen 2 other cars run similar times at cota and all of us had the same issues. Don't know what to say outside of that. The guys from spring mountain posted an entire thread a while back in jan. The other guy just started running similar times and is complaining about the same thing. My car is completely stock other than the CCW's and take off slicks
Okay. You have clearly had some different problems from the rest of us. I think I clarified why I thought it would be good to see the data from the PDR.

A few of us have discussed on and offline some solutions and are still in the process of seeing results. I can tell you I was at SM in January and spoke with a few of the instructors about the Z06's (they had their cars for about a month or so at the time). What they told me seems consistent with what we are seeing. One of them told me a GM engineer who accompanied the A8 cars for media testing stated that switching to "straight water and Water Wetter" for track use was a solution they recommended.

But there are a couple of other idiosyncrasies that have popped up including overheated PS units. In the coming months we may see more of that (or not). I still think much of this can be remedied with relatively simple solutions and have a new Dewitts in my garage awaiting install. However, I would like to get a few more days on-track before taking more steps. These won't solve some of your issues, but it is part of the overall effort to cool down the cars a bit.
S.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 05-25-2015, 10:11 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tambeng
I think to be more objective, the problem is only when people are pushing the car to the max on the track. Therefore if we want to check the failure rate, it will be based on how many people are tracking this car and how many are experiencing the overheating issue. I am not sure if anyone knows that number but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit high.

I agree with you though that hopefully the 80/20 mix and WW will solve the issue.
Im sure it is higher than what it should be and GM need to take care of that, but the coolant mix adjustment is a very easy thing to do. The failure rate I was talking about is anything you can think of in your car. Imagine how many random issues say BMW has at dealerships all over this world with just the M3/M4 alone. As good as the M is really, that would be an eye opener to see all the warranty issues with that car world wide , so again its a numbers game.

Last edited by GP1224; 05-25-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:12 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NOSLO6
While I can't speak to the day he ran on, it has also been a pretty darn cool spring here in the Philly / NJMP area. Small number of laps in TT + cool ambient temps could explain the difference.
I live in New Jersey. The spring has been pretty much normal temps, with this weekend being pretty warm.
S.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:17 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Personally, I hope the folks who are having issues will keep posting about their problems. In the same vein, I hope the folks who are finding fixes will also keep posting their findings. It's pretty obvious to folks who are still on the fence, like me, that there are some issues which need to be addressed.

From what I have observed over the last 1.5 years, the overheating issue is the one that continues to raise its ugly head. Most others are, to me, teething issues with the new platform and hopefully GM will make running changes to take care of them.

So, folks with issues please keep posting. It can get ugly here but you are doing us all a great service.

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***