C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Blown engine??? Post up

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 10:57 PM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by xkilo16x
Did they have a field engineer come down? Surprised it's so fast. When did you drop the car off to the dealer?
Don't have all the details yet. He did say it would require an investigation, but I dropped the car off two weeks ago. The engine was pulled and pan dropped last week.

He said the cam was loose or something and it was tearing up the motor.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:25 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default I didn't see the C6 ZR1 mentioned!?

I don't recall ever hearing anything bad about the LS9! That engine was really Hand Built, and bullet proof. Too bad the car wasn't a big seller like the new mass produced$$$ SC. They've planned on it blowing some! It's mathematically accurately predictable!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 05-19-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:14 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by mulalleybs
Don't have all the details yet. He did say it would require an investigation, but I dropped the car off two weeks ago. The engine was pulled and pan dropped last week.

He said the cam was loose or something and it was tearing up the motor.
Ask if they are changing the oil lines and drysump as well. It's a small investment to make sure no metal shavings gets transferred to the new motor.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:26 AM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 5thGear
Ask if they are changing the oil lines and drysump as well. It's a small investment to make sure no metal shavings gets transferred to the new motor.
Good call! I appreciate it. I asked about everything except that.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:17 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 135 Posts

Sometimes I wonder if the dry sump approach on a "track car" that is rarely used on the track in the real world introduces more problems than it solves.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:42 PM
tbasco 6
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't know how much good it does, but on all my vehicles I use a large round magnet (designed for the bottom of oil filters). If it does any good at all it's worth the $10 cost.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:39 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by tbasco 6
I don't know how much good it does, but on all my vehicles I use a large round magnet (designed for the bottom of oil filters). If it does any good at all it's worth the $10 cost.
This is not enough to clean oil tank (dry sump) and oil lines after a massive engine failure. I am sure the dealer would flush these components but that's not their specialty so why risk it. It's better to replace old plumbing with the motor. GM didn't have problem with this request when they replaced my Z06 motor.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:18 PM
tbasco 6
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

This is not enough to clean oil tank (dry sump) and oil lines after a massive engine failure. I am sure the dealer would flush these components but that's not their specialty so why risk it. It's better to replace old plumbing with the motor. GM didn't have problem with this request when they replaced my Z06 motor.
I was not referring to after a failure. I do it from day one in hopes of capturing metal shavings before they do much circulation.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:30 PM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Terry@BMS
Sometimes I wonder if the dry sump approach on a "track car" that is rarely used on the track in the real world introduces more problems than it solves.
Just bought one of your filters in celebration of getting the car back sometime this year

spoke with the dealer today, they were already planning on replacing the dry sump system and lines. Thanks again for the heads up.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:09 AM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 135 Posts

Just bought one of your filters in celebration of getting the car back sometime this year
Haha nice!
Old 06-05-2017, 12:12 PM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

Drove the car for 3 days and it was acting funny.. turns out they're replacing the motor again. This one lasted 180 miles. The rep told me the thrust bearing failed. What gives?

This is frustrating. Bought the car in Jan with 5k miles, it's just under 10k now and has had 2 motor replacement, supercharger issues, water pump issues, a loose steering rack, etc.

Car has been in the shop 6 times.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:21 PM
xkilo16x
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 51 Posts

Drove the car for 3 days and it was acting funny.. turns out they're replacing the motor again. This one lasted 180 miles. The rep told me the thrust bearing failed. What gives?

This is frustrating. Bought the car in Jan with 5k miles, it's just under 10k now and has had 2 motor replacement, supercharger issues, water pump issues, a loose steering rack, etc.

Car has been in the shop 6 times.
This makes me worry as my car is also getting an engine replacement next week. You should definitely pursue the lemon law route.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:34 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Wow, this is unfortunate. Is it an M7? If the thrust bearing has failed multiple times I'd start to suspect something not set up correctly in the clutch or torque tube, perhaps putting too much load on the thrust bearing.

Total random guess, but it's pretty weird for a production engine thrust bearing to go!
Old 06-05-2017, 07:07 PM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Wow, this is unfortunate. Is it an M7? If the thrust bearing has failed multiple times I'd start to suspect something not set up correctly in the clutch or torque tube, perhaps putting too much load on the thrust bearing.

Total random guess, but it's pretty weird for a production engine thrust bearing to go!
it's an a8 actually. It seems there have been some lt1 failures due to it also.

Hopefully third time's the charm.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:23 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

thrust fails with misalignment of torque tube. also happened with early C7s getting torque tube replacements.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:50 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Have any of you looked at thrust bearing in old design small block it was at rear of crank both halves of bearing had thrust washer made into it. New design move to center main bearing only half thrust bearing. When tolerances are to tight crank throw can hit edge of thrust bearing wiping it off allowing movement of bearing surface hello blown engine bad design. Oh it's number six connecting rod thru the block.
z51vett
Doug

Last edited by z51vett; 06-06-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:07 AM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
Have any of you looked at thrust bearing in old design small block it was at rear of crank both halves of bearing had thrust washer made into it. New design move to center main bearing only half thrust bearing. When tolerances are to tight crank throw can hit edge of thrust bearing wiping it off allowing movement of bearing surface hello blown engine bad design. Oh it's number six connecting rod thru the block.
z51vett
Doug
I noticed that when I built my engine, I asked why, but they didn't realize the significance, seems like a simple way to beef up the lower end.

Quick Reply: Blown engine??? Post up