C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Improved Engine Airflow

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 05:39 PM
garychurch
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Improved Engine Airflow

Has anyone looked at removing the side vents on the Z06 to open up the engine airflow? Yes, if GM thought it would be overall benefical they would have done it. Other thoughts are appreciated.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:16 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Really interesting idea but does the engine bay vent in to that area?
Old 10-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by garychurch
Has anyone looked at removing the side vents on the Z06 to open up the engine airflow? Yes, if GM thought it would be overall benefical they would have done it. Other thoughts are appreciated.
Good thought and may have value. Could be one of the "track prep" items on the list for next summer. Needs to be checked out and removal could be a big help getting fresh air to the hot oil reservoir mounted near the vents.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:14 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

I took out the wheel well liner a couple months back thinking this same idea. Problem was there is a composite body piece that all the ecms and such are bolted to that cant be removed. Was a real pain as well to put the felt liner back in. The side vents are mostly for looks with only the oil tank behind the passenger side. But if one could get some air flow around it and out the side vent might be a help.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:38 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I think the cooling air flows through the radiator and out the hood vent, which also creates down force on the front end...
Some air may get sucked out the side vents, but don't think it is forced air.

Have not really checked on the Z06, but on the Stingray, all the air coming through the grille area is shrouded to go through the radiator. OF course, the Z06 does also have the grille ports to duct air to the brakes.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 10-05-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:16 AM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Take the seal off where the hood lowers to latch at the rear of the engine bay. The heat comes out -- you can see it rising when at stoplights..
Old 10-06-2015, 10:20 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!

Originally Posted by Busa Dave
Take the seal off where the hood lowers to latch at the rear of the engine bay. The heat comes out -- you can see it rising when at stoplights..
Your right it does BUT as someone here tested that air flow goes the opposite direction over 50 mph if I remember right. Much like the old cowl induction hoods of the 70's. Still may help!
Old 10-06-2015, 10:34 AM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
Your right it does BUT as someone here tested that air flow goes the opposite direction over 50 mph if I remember right. Much like the old cowl induction hoods of the 70's. Still may help!

I tested mine on a runs to Florida... Same temps pretty much and when I stopped for gas each time popped the hood the top of the SC was cooler than before removing the seal. Engine has a long time to heat soak--is a 17 hour trip..

What this proves--who knows but my biggest problem is stop and go traffic on a 25 mile drive home from work. Car needs all the help it can get...
Old 10-06-2015, 10:54 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

I'm about to drive my Z from NY to Florida in a few days. Hoping the GT seats will be comfortable on the 24 hour ride ??? Its going on a AM track train from most of the ride home.

For track days I do remove the weather striping at the hood and agree it may help somewhat. Although I put it back in for the trip thinking I rather keep all the dirt out. When the strip is out for 1k miles I did notice a considerable amount of road grime all over the engine compartment. We just installed a Colorado Speed can to and don't want to get the new part dirty!

Get notified of new replies

To Improved Engine Airflow

Quick Reply: Improved Engine Airflow