C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

"Limp mode" issue solved

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 05:24 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Default "Limp mode" issue solved

Those of you that have seen my other posts have seen me comment that on 3 occasions now I've had my car go suddenly in to some kind of low power mode. There's no DIC message or CEL light but the car won't rev over 4000 RPM and only allows very light throttle input.

The issue wasn't specifically tied to fluid temps but did seem to always happen near the end of the day. Letting the car sit and cool had no effect but if you kept driving the car it would gradually improve. Since I have to get fuel after every session I previously thought it was bad fuel but having the issue recur meant that likely wasn't the case.

When I took the car to the dealer the only codes they found were related to knock sensor performance. GM's initial attempt to fix it was to replace the ECU but the problem returned.

This time though I noticed a loud ticking sound from the car and suspected an exhaust leak. Sure enough, the exhaust has a long crack in it just upstream from the first O2 sensor and was shooting hot exhaust gas on the coolant line leading to the oil cooler and also on to the knock sensor. In fact, the protective wrapper has burned off the sensor connector and the plastic from the connector was literally dripping down like a candle.

The dealer had to replace the sensor wiring and coolant line since they were melted together. My track event last weekend went well so I think this may have solved the mystery.

I suspect my car was a fluke but it's something to keep an eye on if you have a similar problem.
The following 11 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
DFW_Z06 (10-23-2015), gurneyeagle (11-07-2015), Hemi Dave (10-21-2015), JackTripper (10-23-2015), Lavender (10-23-2015), phantasms (10-21-2015), rsilver (11-06-2015), Runs11s (10-23-2015), Shysterman69 (10-23-2015), stevestig (10-24-2015), WaFp (10-21-2015) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-21-2015, 05:36 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Glad you figured this one out. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:49 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

So does that mean the exhaust leak may be leading to heat issues then?
Old 10-21-2015, 06:54 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Glad you got it fixed!
Old 10-21-2015, 08:06 PM
VT_Z06
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad your issue may be fixed. However, what are the odds that all the cars with heat issues have cracked exhaust, rather than simple inadequate cooling and air flow?
Old 10-21-2015, 08:14 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Honestly I haven't a clue but I'd be surprised to see a bunch of failures like I had. I didn't see the pipe but it was described as a smile shaped crack.

Also remember that I never had my car overheat over the 20 track days I've run it this year. I wouldn't be surprised if the exhaust leak was creating higher fluid temps though.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:53 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Bad news.. good news. I agree this is most likely a finite issue but one that would pop up on tracked cars only. Exhaust temps increase alot in comparison to street driving. Although the noise is the easy way to know. I would still put some cat covers on your car from DEI to help temps.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:14 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

That is good news for you. From your posts, your car has suffered from overheating more than anyone else who has posted here.

For all of us, it is good to know that at least one overheating problem is due to a component failure rather than a design issue.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:27 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CONMAX
That is good news for you. From your posts, your car has suffered from overheating more than anyone else who has posted here.

For all of us, it is good to know that at least one overheating problem is due to a component failure rather than a design issue.
Hmm.... actually my car has never overheated. I've had this reduced power thing happen 3 times though and usually it was at the end of day 2. I am hoping though that this info is useful for someone else having problems down the road.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:47 PM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by CONMAX

Old 10-23-2015, 08:12 AM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

That is great news...
Old 10-23-2015, 09:48 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Hmm.... actually my car has never overheated. I've had this reduced power thing happen 3 times though and usually it was at the end of day 2. I am hoping though that this info is useful for someone else having problems down the road.
Good news for sure... but the fresh air ducting and cat shields mod that MD24 tested is still the way to go even if you have not actually overheated. You always want as low as you can get oil temps and coolant temps and that mod seems to drop them by quite a bit.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:24 AM
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

it was described as a smile shaped crack.
OK...this LOL drove coffee up into my nose.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:12 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Was the crack on the top side of the exhaust? Reason I ask, I also have knock sensor code stored in the ECU and am in limp mode and found that the wiring connector to the actual O2 sensor is touching the cat and melted on my car:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ut-no-cel.html

Wondering if I also have other wiring melted that I cannot see. Where exactly is the knock sensor and wiring?
Old 11-06-2015, 09:36 PM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Those of you that have seen my other posts have seen me comment that on 3 occasions now I've had my car go suddenly in to some kind of low power mode. There's no DIC message or CEL light but the car won't rev over 4000 RPM and only allows very light throttle input.

The issue wasn't specifically tied to fluid temps but did seem to always happen near the end of the day. Letting the car sit and cool had no effect but if you kept driving the car it would gradually improve. Since I have to get fuel after every session I previously thought it was bad fuel but having the issue recur meant that likely wasn't the case.

When I took the car to the dealer the only codes they found were related to knock sensor performance. GM's initial attempt to fix it was to replace the ECU but the problem returned.

This time though I noticed a loud ticking sound from the car and suspected an exhaust leak. Sure enough, the exhaust has a long crack in it just upstream from the first O2 sensor and was shooting hot exhaust gas on the coolant line leading to the oil cooler and also on to the knock sensor. In fact, the protective wrapper has burned off the sensor connector and the plastic from the connector was literally dripping down like a candle.

The dealer had to replace the sensor wiring and coolant line since they were melted together. My track event last weekend went well so I think this may have solved the mystery.

I suspect my car was a fluke but it's something to keep an eye on if you have a similar problem.
Better inspect my exhaust system and wiring just to be sure!
Old 11-06-2015, 09:54 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rwheelz
Was the crack on the top side of the exhaust? Reason I ask, I also have knock sensor code stored in the ECU and am in limp mode and found that the wiring connector to the actual O2 sensor is touching the cat and melted on my car:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ut-no-cel.html

Wondering if I also have other wiring melted that I cannot see. Where exactly is the knock sensor and wiring?
I was just replying to your other thread but the symptoms sound the same. I only saw the connector once it was out of the car but the tech described it as up in there so you wouldn't see it unless you looked behind the exhaust. I'd take it to the dealer and have them check that out.

Get notified of new replies

To "Limp mode" issue solved

Quick Reply: "Limp mode" issue solved