C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

R8 V-10 owner looking at Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 09:03 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

^^^^ looks great
Old 12-06-2015, 09:03 PM
taxdr1965
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 36 Posts

One more
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2015, 09:05 PM
DanTex
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
people buy corvettes because they cant afford high end Italian, and german cars.

I would stick with the R8.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
haaha, funny guy!
Old 12-06-2015, 10:00 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by taxdr1965
I currently drive an r8 which is a great car, but every 3 years I get the itch to try something new. Mainly been driving Porsche, bmw and now Audi.

I love the feel and refinement of the German cars. The z06 intrigues me from a performance stand point and I love the looks. Hate the look of 911, but it drives awesome.

Does the z06 have the refinement and build quality of the German cars? Or is it just pure brute force. I enjoy my r8 because it has the mag ride control like the vette, mine is a 2012, so not like the new mag ride.

Is the z06 going to start to squeak and rattle after a year?

The r8 can drive like a super car if you want or like an A6, it has that level of refinement.

So if people can comment in coming from German cars to the Z06, would appreciate it.
Where in NY are you? Maybe you can check mine out.

Last edited by phantasms; 12-07-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:06 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,985 Likes on 935 Posts

people buy corvettes because they cant afford high end Italian, and german cars.

I would stick with the R8.
You could not be more wrong!!
The following users liked this post:
2014C7 (12-15-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 10:08 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,985 Likes on 935 Posts

I own a 2013 M3 and C7 z51.

the C7 more raw, more fun, still easy to daily drive. I am sure the Z06 would be the same thing as the Z51 just a lot faster.

the M3 and other german cars i have driven feel more premium. a 911 "feels" worlds better than the corvettes, but its not as fun to drive. if that makes sense.
An M3 has a more premium feel??? LMAO and a 911 is worlds better?? SMH......keep thinking that!!
Old 12-06-2015, 10:44 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by taxdr1965
Thanks for input. Will have to drive it. Not saying my r8 does not have a rattle or two. Just had one fixed the other day, but now my rear shocks are leaking at 15k. Hopefully the warranty covers it. The shocks are $1800 a piece, ouch.
The shocks generally aren't covered under warranty even with Audicare from what I remember.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:35 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
You could not be more wrong!!
Your right the 70k corvettes on the road(production number). MOST of those people can probably afford a 200k turbo S or 300k 488. right ...........

ya I am sure there are guys like jay leno who will have corvettes in their "collection".

Give me 30 million dollars, i will be at the lambo dealer before the chevy dealer. like 95% of car guys. hell like 95% of the general public! corvette is a working mans car (like my self)

Last edited by MikeLsx; 12-06-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:50 AM
T-Z06-J
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Your right the 70k corvettes on the road(production number). MOST of those people can probably afford a 200k turbo S or 300k 488. right ...........

ya I am sure there are guys like jay leno who will have corvettes in their "collection".

Give me 30 million dollars, i will be at the lambo dealer before the chevy dealer. like 95% of car guys. hell like 95% of the general public! corvette is a working mans car (like my self)
Your initial statement was partially correct. You should have said "Most People...."
There are people with Corvettes parked next to their "high end italian and german cars"
And then there are those of us who cant afford to spend $250k on a toy.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:36 AM
Victor
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's funny is I'm going the other way.

I had a Corvette for about a decade before I had kids, lost my job, moved, needed money, and sold it. I've been without it for about 4 years now and this last summer I really started to miss it, so I've been looking around for about 6 months now.

The three big things that stop me on the Corvette are: 1) there are no back seats, 2) rear wheel drive wont cut it in the winter - its mostly a good weather only car, 3) the looks are atrocious in my opinion.

I would need a daily driver if I bought one and I don't want to have to get a daily driver too. I want to drop my kids off at school then go hit the roads hard on my way to work.

I can't argue that the ZO6 is about as fast or faster than anything out there. In the hands of a capable driver, it blows away everything. However, not everyone is a champ when it comes to rowing gears and driving. The Porsche with the PDK can make anyone seem like they are a good driver - and it can pass for "practical".

Anyways, deciding between one awesome car and another awesome car is a nice dilemma to have in your life. Honestly I've been having fun researching, visiting dealers, and figuring out what I'm going to buy for myself.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:38 AM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Funny, when at car shows and get togethers this year, my all black Z06 always seemed to get special attention over the exotics. Put a few Porshes and Ferraris in the same parking lot and the Z06 gets the looks. GM did one heck of a body style change on this car. I have never owned a German sports car. The Audis are sweet. Neighbor has a A8 in black. Gorgeous car but he just loves mine. I can't compare drivability or power either but those chiming in who can are saying the Z06 has it. Mine is at Callaway right now. That will add a little more WOW factor at the shows.

Last edited by hootowlc7; 12-07-2015 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:04 AM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

If image is your main concern then head to the lambo dealership...but if you want a 'driver's' car then you'll be at the Chevy dealership before the Lambo dealership...Sounds like your more interested in a 'trophy' than a true drivers car. Sure, the Huracan has stepped up it's game, but generally Lambo's aren't great drivers cars. They are show pieces. It's basically like saying once you have money you'll dump your nice faithful wife who treats you like gold, rocks your world in the bedroom and you have a great time with, just so you can have a Victoria Secret model arm piece that is potentially high maintenance and a PITA...Enjoy...! Your statement is telling.

True car guys like cars, and don't just buy a badge. But the general public is shallow at best and don't really know cars anyway. My Z06 would smoke my Ferrari and is a lot more fun to drive (although the Ferrari was fun to drive too),and yet the neighbors think I'm on crack when I tell them so...To each their own.

Btw, I know plenty of people who have 'more' than enough to afford any car they want...and they don't all own Lambo's/Ferrari's ;-) Sadly most people care too much about image and what their neighbors think...Life is about enjoying what YOU like.
The following 6 users liked this post by ZoratZ06:
hootowlc7 (12-07-2015), KustomsbyKev (12-07-2015), Lavender (12-07-2015), phantasms (12-07-2015), ramyk (12-07-2015), StingerBG (01-04-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-07-2015, 11:28 AM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

To the OP---have you gone crazy? The Z06 is still a Chevy. Yes I like the looks but they have crappy paint, suck oil into the SC, have some heating issues. The snarl the V10 has makes the Vette sound tame unless you modify it which I am doing.

The reason I have the Z06 is simple--it was cheap and will be easy to mod to turn into a 1000hp rear wheel monster. The interior is not even in the same league as the Audi. We just traded a TTRS for a Porsche for my wife and GM is GM when it comes to interior materials and fit and finish they just cannot compete because of price point.

One more thing to consider---the cars are stacking up on dealer lots like cord wood here. Sales last month were in the toilet so prices will be coming down shortly.

Last edited by Busa Dave; 12-07-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:15 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06
If image is your main concern then head to the lambo dealership...but if you want a 'driver's' car then you'll be at the Chevy dealership before the Lambo dealership...Sounds like your more interested in a 'trophy' than a true drivers car. Sure, the Huracan has stepped up it's game, but generally Lambo's aren't great drivers cars. They are show pieces. It's basically like saying once you have money you'll dump your nice faithful wife who treats you like gold, rocks your world in the bedroom and you have a great time with, just so you can have a Victoria Secret model arm piece that is potentially high maintenance and a PITA...Enjoy...! Your statement is telling.

True car guys like cars, and don't just buy a badge. But the general public is shallow at best and don't really know cars anyway. My Z06 would smoke my Ferrari and is a lot more fun to drive (although the Ferrari was fun to drive too),and yet the neighbors think I'm on crack when I tell them so...To each their own.

Btw, I know plenty of people who have 'more' than enough to afford any car they want...and they don't all own Lambo's/Ferrari's ;-) Sadly most people care too much about image and what their neighbors think...Life is about enjoying what YOU like.
Very well said! The modern lambos are terrible driver's cars. They are 100% for posers. A lot of posers buy Ferrari's...but they are damn good drivers cars too.

FWIW A friend of mine has TWO McLaren F1's and is very excited about the Z06 he just got. ...and he owns no modern Lambos.
4GS7 (07-31-2016)
Old 12-07-2015, 02:52 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06

dude come on, use some common sense. Dont sit here and tell me that most people who are buying corvettes have the means to buy higher end cars. Most driving corvettes today are working class people or retired working class people who have monthly car payments. These same people probably couldnt afford a 300k car, even if they had enough money in the bank to cover it. It would take more wealth than they would like.

Yes there are people who prefer vette over Lamborghini, and people who buy both. When i say Lamborghini. I mean any high end car. Like McLean or 911 GT3 R.

My dream car was never a chevy.

Last edited by MikeLsx; 12-07-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:16 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
Very well said! The modern lambos are terrible driver's cars. They are 100% for posers. A lot of posers buy Ferrari's...but they are damn good drivers cars too.

FWIW A friend of mine has TWO McLaren F1's and is very excited about the Z06 he just got. ...and he owns no modern Lambos.
I'm not sure modern Lambos are "terrible driver's car" to be honest. The new Huracan is supposed to be an excellent driving/handling car although with perhaps a little too much understeer, and the more extreme Gallardos were great cars, quite a few of which made it to road courses.

I am referring to the SLs of course.

Last edited by thebishman; 12-07-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:38 PM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Lambos are just plain ugly.

Get notified of new replies

To R8 V-10 owner looking at Z06

Old 12-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Dylan Bigg
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone else cross-shopping the new NSX like me?
Old 12-07-2015, 08:05 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by thebishman
I'm not sure modern Lambos are "terrible driver's car" to be honest. The new Huracan is supposed to be an excellent driving/handling car although with perhaps a little too much understeer, and the more extreme Gallardos were great cars, quite a few of which made it to road courses.

I am referring to the SLs of course.
From people I've spoken to they say while the Huracan produces great numbers it's very far from a drivers car. As far as the Gallardo every one of those I drove I hated. Amittedly I did not drive the Superleggara. When the Aventador first came to the states, which I visually think is one of the best modern cars made, my wife drove the **** out of one in Corsa mode and said it was pretty boring. She said that afterwards the dealer that gave her the car to drive admitted the car isn't really made for that sort of thing....i.e. Driving dynamics. If I had unlimited money I'd throw an Aventador body on a LaFerrari and call it a day. lol. Of course this would be after I get my MANUAL challenge straddle.

In my meaningless opinion the Murci SV with a stick is the last true Lambo...and I'd love to have one.

Last edited by phantasms; 12-07-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:21 PM
Frnk4tr
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My daily driver is a 997TT (6-speed manual, PCCBs) because it's AWD and is not phased by rain or slippery road conditions. Great car, extremely well built, dependable, low maintenance intervals, although expensive when it does require maintenance.

But my 2016 Z06 (3LZ interior, which I think rocks, I love it) is way more fun to drive.

You need to test-drive one to see how you like the drive/handling part. Best bang for the buck in all other areas (I think most car enthusiasts agree on that point), but what is fun for me might not be fun for you.

But I love American muscle car V8s, and the new Z06 just carries on that tradition in a modern package for me.
hootowlc7 (12-08-2015)

Quick Reply: R8 V-10 owner looking at Z06