C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

R8 V-10 owner looking at Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 10:18 AM
taxdr1965
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 36 Posts

Default R8 V-10 owner looking at Z06

I currently drive an r8 which is a great car, but every 3 years I get the itch to try something new. Mainly been driving Porsche, bmw and now Audi.

I love the feel and refinement of the German cars. The z06 intrigues me from a performance stand point and I love the looks. Hate the look of 911, but it drives awesome.

Does the z06 have the refinement and build quality of the German cars? Or is it just pure brute force. I enjoy my r8 because it has the mag ride control like the vette, mine is a 2012, so not like the new mag ride.

Is the z06 going to start to squeak and rattle after a year?

The r8 can drive like a super car if you want or like an A6, it has that level of refinement.

So if people can comment in coming from German cars to the Z06, would appreciate it.

Popular Reply

12-06-2015, 02:05 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Obviously everyone has their own opinion on the topic...Here is mine...

I've had family members who have always owned Vette's, going back to the 1960's...and I was always the guy who bought German/Italian cars. It's not that I didn't respect Vette's but to me they never put together a 'complete package' UNTIL the C7Z.

The styling is fantastic (put a Ferrari badge on it instead of a Vette) and people would be going nuts over how sexy this car looks.

The interior is a VAST improvement over past models, and it's the MAIN reason I finally took the plunge into Vette ownership. Is it as good as an R8, no. Is is as good as a 911 or 458, NO. BUT, it's still very nice. This is coming from someone who has owned Porsches, Audi's, BMW's and a Ferrari. While I wouldn't put it in that league with regard to fit and finish, there isn't much to complain about in the new Vette. If you really want to go over the top, then send it to Caravaggio.

Performance = WOW! For me the most enjoyable part of the Z06 performance is the low end torque which you simply don't get in the German/Italian cars. Perhaps the 911 Turbo is close, and maybe the new turbo'ed 488 Ferrari...but overall, most Euro cars need to be revved to get maximum performance...that isn't the case with the Vette...this makes it SO much more enjoyable to drive around town. There is ALWAYS power all the time at just about any RPM. That's probably my favorite part about the car. "There is no replacement for displacement." It's true. The performance envelope of this car is truly fantastic.

Handling/Breaking, there simply isn't a better car on the road, period. Maybe an ACR with extreme aero, but that's it. No point in saying anymore, it is as good of a handling/breaking car as is available on the market today.

Comfort/Ride. Amazing. Truly shocking really. With the mag ride and the different exhaust settings, it's impressive. Track mode isn't even that 'rough', but touring mode feels like a compliant 4 door sedan. I can't imagine a car being more performance oriented, yet still so comfortable on the road. There is a setting for just about every environment.

Lastly...this is where I disagree with others...My DSOM Z06 gets attention...and I think it's a beautiful car, and hands down the best bang for your buck on the road today, PERIOD. PERIOD. PERIOD. But...it absolutely WILL NOT get the attention of a Ferrari, or Lambo, and probably not an R8 either. I live in Scottsdale, AZ and to 'most' people it's just another Vette...because the average person doesn't know the difference between a Z06 and a Stingray, so to them 'it's just a vette.' Whereas with my Ferrari, it would get attention 99% of the time I took it out, the Vette is 50/50.

Having said that, I can't think of a car (under $200k) that I'd rather own than the C7 Z06...I wouldn't take a 991 Turbo over it, I wouldn't take a Viper over it (although they are badass), I wouldn't take an R8 over it, I wouldn't take a GTR over it, I wouldn't take an AMG GTS over it, maybe a GT3RS, maybe a 458/488 or a 650s, Huracan etc...But that's about it...

I really think it's 'that' impressive. This is coming from a previous Euro only person. GM has stepped up their game, especially with fit and finish and their interior quality. NO, it's not up to German/Italian standards, but it's close enough to NOT spend an extra $100k++ on one of those cars...Btw, I love the R8's, I think they are very nice...

If you can 'mentally' get over the 'it's just a vette' mentality...then I promise you will not have more fun in any car out there...the Z06 is 'that' good. Most of the haters are simply people who have never driven one, or track their cars hard and have had over heating issues...
Old 12-06-2015, 11:07 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

I owned a 2010 V10 R8 and loved that car to bits. The Corvette, whilst not being quite up to the interior standards of the Audi; (few cars are), is very well put together. The only issue I have is a slight noise from the rear hatch area that happens infrequently over really rough roads. Just need to take it back to the dealership, but mine's a 2015 Z07 version; the 2016's have an electronically closed hatch that might take care of any noise issues compared to the 2015's.

Even my Z07 rides very well in Touring mode around town. Not as compliant as the R8 when the Audi is in 'Normal' suspension mode, but very tolerable. Truth is it's almost magical how Audi were able to get the R8 to ride very comfortably on rough roads one minute, and then handle extremely well the next when switched to Sport.

The exhaust sounds fantastic on the Z06 when switched to Sport/Track, but nothing sounds like a NA 5.2 litre V10 revved out to 8,000 rpm, so you might miss that aspect.

Go and find a 2016 that a dealership will let you test drive. If you pull up in the R8 you'll have no problem them allowing you one. I think you'll really like the car btw.

Bish

Last edited by thebishman; 12-06-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:13 AM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

A buddy of mine has 6-7 Porsche's, and a 2016 GT3 RS on the way. Overall the corvette is lower quality than all of the Porsche's. Body panel fitment, interior fitment, etc. That said, it is faster than all of them. It's also more versatile than all of them with the removable top.

I've considered switching but I'd have to own 3 Porsche's to get the same capability of the Z06 - and even then it would be a compromise every time. I know I'm in the minority, but the versatility was more important to me than body panel fitment. I don't have any squeaks or rattles, but nobody can guarantee that they won't develop. I think the C7 gets much closer to the quality of German cars, but there is still a gap.

For me though, a LOT more performance plus more versatility meant more the superior body panel and interior panel fitment/quality.

Last edited by schaibaa; 12-06-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:14 AM
taxdr1965
Instructor

Thanks for your thoughts, might be tough to let the r8 go. I have an aftermarket gmg exhaust on it so it sounds awesome. I live in ny so the roads can suck. Does the z06 suspension get upset over rough crappy pavement. Which felt faster r8 or the Z06?

Power is up high in the r8 rev band.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Cauhauna
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Another thing you may miss is the "x factor" that comes with owning an R8. The R8 is a supercar. The corvette, while it does have supercar (or better) performance, is still a corvette.

What does that mean? The average person will see your car like every other corvette. Only enthusiasts and kids will know the difference. To some, this is a good thing. To others, it isn't.

But my biggest question is - how do you find the 911 turbo ugly!? It's the best looking and best bang for the buck in automobiles north of $100k.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:30 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Cauhauna
Another thing you may miss is the "x factor" that comes with owning an R8. The R8 is a supercar. The corvette, while it does have supercar (or better) performance, is still a corvette.

What does that mean? The average person will see your car like every other corvette. Only enthusiasts and kids will know the difference. To some, this is a good thing. To others, it isn't.

But my biggest question is - how do you find the 911 turbo ugly!? It's the best looking and best bang for the buck in automobiles north of $100k.
I think the X factor is geography dependent. The R8 performance is quite bland and I don't know many that consider it a super car. My Z06 gets more attention than most other cars. An Aventador was parked next to me in a valet circle a few months ago and the Z06 got much more attention.

In my opinion, The 911 turbo looks great from the back but mostly uninspired and dated in the front. I haven't seen the new body style yet but perhaps the front will improve.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:47 PM
taxdr1965
Instructor

911 still reminds me of the VW bug. R8 does get tons of attention, but I don't really care about that. For me it's about the drive and handling. I like the connected feeling of the German cars. Many people think the R8 is a Ferrari since mine is bright red and it's a vert.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The difference still is when you drive through the neighborhood and pass the kids waiting at the bus stop you will get a thumbs up when driving the Vette. Does your R8 or any Audi get that kind of respect?

If you tracked your car you would know what it is to be Z06ed by earlier models of the Z. There is a reason why they are so popular with track rats. They are fast and put the hurt on Porches (I spelled that correctly as it stands for the thing attached to your house), BMWs and Audi's. A buddy of mine attends lots of PCA events and when he decided to trade from an 02Z to an 07Z the add he placed on his windshield while at the events stated the following: "If you want to go faster, buy this car!" The same statement holds today.

Bill
Old 12-06-2015, 01:47 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Does your R8 or any Audi get that kind of respect?
Your earn respect with your actions not by buying a car.

Last edited by TARANTULA; 12-06-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:47 PM
T-Z06-J
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The difference still is when you drive through the neighborhood and pass the kids waiting at the bus stop you will get a thumbs up when driving the Vette. Does your R8 or any Audi get that kind of respect?

If you tracked your car you would know what it is to be Z06ed by earlier models of the Z. There is a reason why they are so popular with track rats. They are fast and put the hurt on Porches (I spelled that correctly as it stands for the thing attached to your house), BMWs and Audi's. A buddy of mine attends lots of PCA events and when he decided to trade from an 02Z to an 07Z the add he placed on his windshield while at the events stated the following: "If you want to go faster, buy this car!" The same statement holds today.

Bill
Old 12-06-2015, 01:56 PM
RAGS747
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

R8 vs the Vette, I take that R8 mid engine exotic all day long. Vette vs Aventador, no comparison in the looks department no matter what the people at the valet circle are saying. Love the ZO6 but rather have the Hellcat.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:05 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Obviously everyone has their own opinion on the topic...Here is mine...

I've had family members who have always owned Vette's, going back to the 1960's...and I was always the guy who bought German/Italian cars. It's not that I didn't respect Vette's but to me they never put together a 'complete package' UNTIL the C7Z.

The styling is fantastic (put a Ferrari badge on it instead of a Vette) and people would be going nuts over how sexy this car looks.

The interior is a VAST improvement over past models, and it's the MAIN reason I finally took the plunge into Vette ownership. Is it as good as an R8, no. Is is as good as a 911 or 458, NO. BUT, it's still very nice. This is coming from someone who has owned Porsches, Audi's, BMW's and a Ferrari. While I wouldn't put it in that league with regard to fit and finish, there isn't much to complain about in the new Vette. If you really want to go over the top, then send it to Caravaggio.

Performance = WOW! For me the most enjoyable part of the Z06 performance is the low end torque which you simply don't get in the German/Italian cars. Perhaps the 911 Turbo is close, and maybe the new turbo'ed 488 Ferrari...but overall, most Euro cars need to be revved to get maximum performance...that isn't the case with the Vette...this makes it SO much more enjoyable to drive around town. There is ALWAYS power all the time at just about any RPM. That's probably my favorite part about the car. "There is no replacement for displacement." It's true. The performance envelope of this car is truly fantastic.

Handling/Breaking, there simply isn't a better car on the road, period. Maybe an ACR with extreme aero, but that's it. No point in saying anymore, it is as good of a handling/breaking car as is available on the market today.

Comfort/Ride. Amazing. Truly shocking really. With the mag ride and the different exhaust settings, it's impressive. Track mode isn't even that 'rough', but touring mode feels like a compliant 4 door sedan. I can't imagine a car being more performance oriented, yet still so comfortable on the road. There is a setting for just about every environment.

Lastly...this is where I disagree with others...My DSOM Z06 gets attention...and I think it's a beautiful car, and hands down the best bang for your buck on the road today, PERIOD. PERIOD. PERIOD. But...it absolutely WILL NOT get the attention of a Ferrari, or Lambo, and probably not an R8 either. I live in Scottsdale, AZ and to 'most' people it's just another Vette...because the average person doesn't know the difference between a Z06 and a Stingray, so to them 'it's just a vette.' Whereas with my Ferrari, it would get attention 99% of the time I took it out, the Vette is 50/50.

Having said that, I can't think of a car (under $200k) that I'd rather own than the C7 Z06...I wouldn't take a 991 Turbo over it, I wouldn't take a Viper over it (although they are badass), I wouldn't take an R8 over it, I wouldn't take a GTR over it, I wouldn't take an AMG GTS over it, maybe a GT3RS, maybe a 458/488 or a 650s, Huracan etc...But that's about it...

I really think it's 'that' impressive. This is coming from a previous Euro only person. GM has stepped up their game, especially with fit and finish and their interior quality. NO, it's not up to German/Italian standards, but it's close enough to NOT spend an extra $100k++ on one of those cars...Btw, I love the R8's, I think they are very nice...

If you can 'mentally' get over the 'it's just a vette' mentality...then I promise you will not have more fun in any car out there...the Z06 is 'that' good. Most of the haters are simply people who have never driven one, or track their cars hard and have had over heating issues...
The following 8 users liked this post by ZoratZ06:
DanTex (12-06-2015), Fastmikefree (07-31-2016), KustomsbyKev (12-06-2015), Lrn2Swm (12-06-2015), Madsen (12-06-2015), r00t61 (07-30-2016), SLWRNU (12-07-2015), Z06BHM (12-07-2015) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-06-2015, 02:20 PM
taxdr1965
Instructor

Great write up. Aim going to give it a test drive. If your asking if the R8 gets attention. The answer is YES. Pretty much every time I drive it. I think because it's a rare car that people hardly ever see. The v10 is awesome, but like u said the power is at 3500rpm and above. Of course u can wind it out to 8500rpm
Old 12-06-2015, 02:42 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

A lot of things are subjective.

Interior, fit and finish is viewed different, and Z06 still might not be on par with Audi... but at least its not crappy anymore.

Panel fitments etc. i have seen so many that those who claim its not up to par must do an eye exam.

And Z06 has two different suspension alternatives, and while both have MR and can go from cruise comfort to track animal, there is no doubt that even the Z07 pkg will give good comfort but not as optimal as std suspension.
And on track the Z07 will be better.....

When someone in an R8 claim they have a supercar, i dont get it..
Even Mustangs are faster.
Last shootout at VIR, the R8 was ... what ? 13 seconds slower......
Audi R8 plus is the 30th fastest,
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...d-more-feature

want a more quality ride and not so fast car but still faster than R8, buy a Caddilac

As a track toy they are not even in the same league....

So IF supercar is based on usability on road and best car around a track... Corvette is ALOT more supercar.
IF its mid engine and slightly better interior, then you already have it

just my

Old 12-06-2015, 02:53 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by taxdr1965
Great write up. Aim going to give it a test drive. If your asking if the R8 gets attention. The answer is YES. Pretty much every time I drive it. I think because it's a rare car that people hardly ever see. The v10 is awesome, but like u said the power is at 3500rpm and above. Of course u can wind it out to 8500rpm
Never felt the power of torque.. ?

R8 has 389 max TQ and around 3500 its less than 340 ?

at 3500 RPM the Corvette has 630 TQ..

Its not even close... Drive the two and let me know ?

Power in R8 is only there because you wind her out to 8500 RPM, there is power low down but in a different league than Corvette.

Hell, Corvette makes more TQ from idle than max TQ in Audi...
Old 12-06-2015, 03:09 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I suppose I will put in my perspective just in case what other people think of you aren't you main motivator in owning a car. It seems people that own Corvettes frequently own them for perception, versus because they are an actual "enthusiast". Enthusiasts often flock toward German for that reason, the crowd is driven by other factors.

I will say, Corvette has worked hard to chisel away at that European dominance in certain sectors with certain demographics. I think the biggest thing you stand to enjoy is the cost of ownership. As you know, the german cars are HEAVILY dependent upon maintenance/upkeep schedule to maintain reasonable depreciation (which still sucks). Good thing about the Corvettes is they don't have that same standard ingrained, generally because they aren't so complex.

End of day, Z06 will likely have some ups and downs versus the R8, but it's absolutely on its level in terms of overall experience, not to mention reduced pressure to feed the dealer money in order to be able to sell the car later.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:24 PM
ramyk
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by taxdr1965
I currently drive an r8 which is a great car, but every 3 years I get the itch to try something new. Mainly been driving Porsche, bmw and now Audi.

I love the feel and refinement of the German cars. The z06 intrigues me from a performance stand point and I love the looks. Hate the look of 911, but it drives awesome.

Does the z06 have the refinement and build quality of the German cars? Or is it just pure brute force. I enjoy my r8 because it has the mag ride control like the vette, mine is a 2012, so not like the new mag ride.

Is the z06 going to start to squeak and rattle after a year?

The r8 can drive like a super car if you want or like an A6, it has that level of refinement.

So if people can comment in coming from German cars to the Z06, would appreciate it.
To directly answer your questions, no it doesn't have the refinement and you won't have to wait a year for it to start rattling. Like many others who posted I've driven lots of European sedans and sports cars and the build quality isn't close (miles closer than previous generations, yes, but definitely not THERE yet). The roof rattles, the deck lid rattles, the head up display assembly rattles, and sometimes the passenger door rattles. Some of these are more audible than others but they are definitely loud enough to be heard.

The buttons in the center console move around within their confines when touched and aren't as firmly in place as they would be in the corvette's European counterparts. The rear tail lights creak when I apply slight pressure to them with a mitt when I'm washing the car. These are all little things but they add up.

Having said this, these are all objective facts and it's important to take a step back and look at what you're getting in terms of value here. I bought this car because it can hold its own on the road with pretty much anything I come across, for a ridiculously low price. When you look at it logically, the value provided by GM in terms of the performance will have to be detracted from another area of the car which happens to be the fit and finish. It all depends on how much lack of finesse you are willing to withstand for the package on a whole.

Best of luck.

Last edited by ramyk; 12-06-2015 at 03:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
prinzSD455 (12-07-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To R8 V-10 owner looking at Z06

Old 12-06-2015, 03:49 PM
taxdr1965
Instructor

Thanks for input. Will have to drive it. Not saying my r8 does not have a rattle or two. Just had one fixed the other day, but now my rear shocks are leaking at 15k. Hopefully the warranty covers it. The shocks are $1800 a piece, ouch.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:54 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

people buy corvettes because they cant afford high end Italian, and german cars.

I would stick with the R8.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:06 PM
KustomsbyKev
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

"people buy corvettes because they cant afford high end Italian, and german cars."

Very ignorant statement!

Last edited by KustomsbyKev; 12-06-2015 at 08:20 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by KustomsbyKev:
Micster (11-04-2016), MMM15ZO6 (12-07-2015), StingerBG (01-04-2016)

Quick Reply: R8 V-10 owner looking at Z06