C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Best tire for Z06? Who knows?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 02:07 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

Continental ECS..... BEST rain tire (after Hoosier H20....ask any hardened autocrosser), and very good in the warm/dry
(again autocrossing). Of course they are non-runflat. I would say they are pretty equal to or better than the MPSS
for warm/dry autocross.
Therefore, given the above, I also use them for regular street driving.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (11-23-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 02:16 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I have some friends who just put the 4S's on, although they weren't the exact stock size, maybe just the rear's, but they love them so far. Probably been on their car 4 months. They haven't had any issues with AH or TC either, due to slightly larger diameters.

If I were buying new tires right now, the 4S would be my #1 choice.

Last edited by Thomasmoto; 11-21-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:12 PM
Clspht
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm real happy with AS3+... Stock sizes and no issues in the wet and or cold... So much better cold weather grip than the original MPSS's....
The following 3 users liked this post by Clspht:
dpfaff (02-16-2019), Lyn Go Fast (02-18-2019), taylosw (11-29-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 06:02 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

My Corvette is a 2012 Grand Sport but still asking YOUR (all) opinions

I am ordering new Forged Wheels in either 19x12 Rear OR 20x12 Rear AND 19x10 Front

Ive been wanting to avoid the short 25 ratio side walls vs the 30 ratio sidewalls
so I've been thinking 345/30-19 Michelin Super Sport NON Run Flats in the Rear
and 285/30-19 Front .....but just realized that Michelin doesnt mfg a 285 in NON RunFlat

My question is WHAT do people think/know about the Michelin SUPER SPORT NON Run Flat
vs The Michelin SUPER SPORT Run Flat
Old 11-21-2018, 06:11 PM
centennialGS
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LagunaSecaZ06
I also run the MPSS (non-run flat) 325 rear and 275 front. I went through three sets of MPS Cup 2. I was only getting 2 tracks days out of these tires and daily driving until the second track day, then replacement. I have now driven about 6,000 miles on the MPSS (non run flats) + 6 track days and they are maybe 50% worn. I consider them the best bang for buck and they work well on the track and street. I live in Northern California (San Jose) so winters are mile 40*-50* are typically the low temps I drive in, and they work fine if you given them 10 minutes to warm up.

Shameless plug of me (Silver Z06) passing a buddy during a track day on the MPSS (non-run flats).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkooytgyOiQ
Nice, do you have a picture of what they look like on the car with the smaller size?

Originally Posted by Edwardz

I think the Continentals are the best all around tire. They grip much better in cool weather than SS. Kind of like the rounded look. I feel the run flats bend the rim with their stiff inner sidewall.
Well, I was thinking of the Pilot Sport 4S, the updated version of the SS. I like the pricepoint of the Continentals, but the cold weather grip sucks on them too (they're summer tires after all). I just dont like that my tires look stretched with a 335 on back LOL

Originally Posted by NTMD8R
Continental ECS..... BEST rain tire (after Hoosier H20....ask any hardened autocrosser), and very good in the warm/dry
(again autocrossing). Of course they are non-runflat. I would say they are pretty equal to or better than the MPSS
for warm/dry autocross.
Therefore, given the above, I also use them for regular street driving.
Yeah I've actually never driven a vette with Michelins, so I have nothing to compare them too. Im happy with the grip of my Continentals, but i have a warped front tire and almost bald rears. Maybe its not worth it for me to pay the extra $$ for the PS4S since I do mostly street driving and the occasional drag strip 1 or 2 times a year.

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
I have some friends who just put the 4S's on, although they weren't the exact stock size, maybe just the rear's, but they love them so far. Probably been on their car 4 months. They haven't had any issues with AH or TC either, due to slightly larger diameters.

If I were buying new tires right now, the 4S would be my #1 choice.
​​​​​​​They are only available in smaller sizes for the C7 Z06 wheels. I'd love to see a pic of them. I want to avoid a stretched look

Last edited by centennialGS; 11-21-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:45 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Michelin A/S 3 for (almost) all year driving.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:03 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I really like the new Michelin SC2 N1 model. Unfortunately, it's the Porsche GT3 spec tire, and not readily available. Visually, it's almost identical to the "regular" SC2 ZP that comes OEM on the Z06/ZX07, but the grooves are slightly (but very noticeably) deeper. I was talking to two GT3 guys this weekend, and the gist of it was that Porsche, acknowledging a Euro-centric market, and more varied driving conditions, more or less developed an "all season" version of the Cup 2.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:25 AM
gymdoc
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I ran the R7's on my viper for 10 years and now that they came out with the z size I just got a set installed yesterday. Yes, not exactly "all season" tires, but damn the grip is phenomenal. So far I've had the SC2 and pirelli P zero corsa system. The Pirelli was great at the beginning but after a few thousand miles the traction went to crap as if the rubber got hard. The SC2's were OK but too stiff like most run flats.

My vote: R7

Old 11-22-2018, 02:13 AM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by CamarosRus
My Corvette is a 2012 Grand Sport but still asking YOUR (all) opinions

I am ordering new Forged Wheels in either 19x12 Rear OR 20x12 Rear AND 19x10 Front

Ive been wanting to avoid the short 25 ratio side walls vs the 30 ratio sidewalls
so I've been thinking 345/30-19 Michelin Super Sport NON Run Flats in the Rear
and 285/30-19 Front .....but just realized that Michelin doesnt mfg a 285 in NON RunFlat

My question is WHAT do people think/know about the Michelin SUPER SPORT NON Run Flat
vs The Michelin SUPER SPORT Run Flat
There is a tire thread on here somewhere where an individual spoke with Michelin and they were told the compounds are the same between the two.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:32 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by gymdoc
I ran the R7's on my viper for 10 years and now that they came out with the z size I just got a set installed yesterday. Yes, not exactly "all season" tires, but damn the grip is phenomenal. So far I've had the SC2 and pirelli P zero corsa system. The Pirelli was great at the beginning but after a few thousand miles the traction went to crap as if the rubber got hard. The SC2's were OK but too stiff like most run flats.
Back in my track and autox days I used to drive with Hoosiers on the street. One thing I carried was a copy of Ca Vehicle Code 27465. (a) No dealer or person holding a retail seller's permit shall sell, offer for sale, expose for sale, or install on a vehicle axle for use on a highway, a pneumatic tire when the tire has less than the tread depth specified in subdivision (b). This subdivision does not apply to any person who installs on a vehicle, as part of an emergency service rendered to a disabled vehicle upon a highway, a spare tire with which the disabled vehicle was equipped.
(b) No person shall use on a highway a pneumatic tire on a vehicle axle when the tire has less than the following tread depth, except when temporarily installed on a disabled vehicle as specified in subdivision (a):
(1) One thirty-second (1/32) of an inch tread depth in any two adjacent grooves at any location of the tire, except as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3).

Just in case I got stopped by somebody that was upset at the nearly treadless tire on a street car.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:16 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Please let us know what kind of mileage you get out of these. Won't they heat-cycle out quickly with street driving?
Old 11-23-2018, 09:42 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,145 Posts

I agree with everyone suggesting continental.

For the STREET, it's a better tire. Quieter, rides softer, won't bend or crack your wheels from the stiff sidewalls, longevity and same performance (FOR THE STREET). And they're cheaper.

It's a win all around. The only thing people like to bring up, track performance aside, is that the PSS's have a blocky shoulder, giving the tire a more aggressive look. I honestly noticed it after i switched to conti. But after a couple of days/drives, i got used to it and don't notice it anymore. I have aftermarket wheels now with more aggressive offsets so that negated that "rounded" shoulder very well. Car looks amazing now. Although i wanna drop the car at least 1/2" on the stock bolts for the perfect look.

The PSS's when i had it, in 2 corvettes, rode hard, front tires skipped at full lock at slow speeds, was SUPER noisy (maybe that's why they're called super sports? LOL) and they're expensive and they don't last as long.

You make the choice. If you're going to do more track than street, PSS. If you do more street than track, conti.

If you do basically just street, like myself, CONTI ALL THE WAY.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:22 PM
Z06Brucey
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the Toyo R888Rs and so far i love them!
Old 11-24-2018, 04:02 AM
baystealth2430
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Winner 2021

Hey Z06 Brucey
Glad you like the R888R so far. I am loving them so far as well. Far better ride and great traction to boot.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:06 PM
5150 BRD
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Clspht
I'm real happy with AS3+... Stock sizes and no issues in the wet and or cold... So much better cold weather grip than the original MPSS's....
I was at the Spring Mountain Corvette Owners school last week and they suggested this tire as a replacement for the stock tires.
The following users liked this post:
Emmdmd (12-23-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 10:33 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

After talking with LUKE at TIRERACK.com Ive made the decision to use the below Tire Sizes on my 2012 Grand Sport......
NOBODY else suggested these tire sizing alternatives

Front 295/30-19 (26" Dia/11.6" Wide) Michelin Super Sport on Front 19x10.5 Wheels (possibly off set of 42???)
Rear 345/30-19 (27.1" Dia/13.6" Wide) Michelin Super Sport on Rear 19x12 Wheels Offset/ET 50

This above combo has the same Difference in Dia (1.1") as the OE 275/35-18 & 325/30-19 has (25.6" Dia / 26.7" = 1.1 Difference)
This above combo has +33 more Revs/Mile for Front Tire vs the rear & the OE set up was +34 more Revs/Mile on Front Tire.
Same dia diff 1.1"/-4.1% should play nice with sensors, Active Handling, Traction Control yada yada

From misc threads/posts/Vendor Emails the 295/30-19 Will fit "OK" but I expect to have to RAISE my 2012 Grand Sport from its
lowered on Stock Bolts position!!!!!
Old 11-29-2018, 12:28 AM
andreas g.
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by lgodom
Haven't seen any posts of members running Toyos. I went to their site and the Z06 only has front tires showing in the right size.
i’m Running Toyo T1R’s. No issues. Ran them at the Mojave 11/2 mile at 197 mph. Smooth as glass.

Get notified of new replies

To Best tire for Z06? Who knows?

Old 11-29-2018, 04:23 PM
taylosw
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Any suggestions for spirit-driving tires living in Vegas? Only drive the car on the weekends, and our lows don't get much below 40. R7's seem decent with what one poster said but...those are for tracks/autocross only =(.

I currently have MPSS but after 10k miles..the traction is nearly gone unless it's 120 out.

Last edited by taylosw; 11-29-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:50 PM
gymdoc
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
Please let us know what kind of mileage you get out of these. Won't they heat-cycle out quickly with street driving?

I had 3K on the SC2's before changing to Pirelli and the performance was same through the whole 3k. The Pirelli - got about 15K out of them to my surprise rated at only 60 tread wear. They ran very good for the first few thousand miles then turned into slip and slide. I averaged about 5k on the R7's in the viper and the grip loss was about 30% towards the end. I'm curious how many miles I'll get out of them on the Z. So far 500 miles and they've been unreal grip.

Downside to the R7, once it lets go you're f**ked. Make damn sure the nannies are on to save your ***.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:47 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

R7s as is Hoosier R7s? As in this effing RACE tire?? https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...wall=Blackwall There's no way that would provide ANY kind of wet weather traction.

Quick Reply: Best tire for Z06? Who knows?