C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Top Gear comparison - ACR, Z06, GT350R

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 02:15 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Default Top Gear comparison - ACR, Z06, GT350R

I'm sure there will be 16 different threads discussing it before the next day but as I haven't seen it mentioned yet, here is the latest article comparing the ACR, Z06 and GT350R.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/road...vs-viper-acr#1

Was a bit troublesome reading it until you get to page 7 with another "not again....." moment.

Thankfully, they get their act together resulting in the following quote, "and I mean totally, 100 per cent – morphs the Vette into the precise nuclear weapon we know it can be."

Last edited by fleming23; 02-15-2016 at 02:26 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by fleming23:
Blvdbrawler (02-19-2016), Fastmikefree (02-19-2016), PANHANDLE96CE (02-19-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 02:22 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

I think they did a good job at summing up each car. The Viper is pretty much the fastest street legal car around a track. The Z06 is such a good bargain and very capable around a track (even if it overheats). The Shelby is a great car for the money, if you don't pay ridiculous amounts of adm.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:46 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Amazing what the brand "Top Gear" gives you despite having little journalism talent. Best 3 American cars on 2 tracks. I believe my initial review of the Z06 was higher quality and more useful than this. Total amateurs.
The following users liked this post:
RonBurgAM (02-18-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 02:48 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 272 Posts

blah

Last edited by vtknight; 02-15-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:00 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Did I miss all of the test results from that article? Where are they?
S.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:05 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Originally Posted by Snorman
Did I miss all of the test results from that article? Where are they?
S.
Please disregard - our local fanboy got this "from a source - and lets just say my suspicions about the 10.6 seem obvious now...

Sigh.

Last edited by vtknight; 02-15-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:22 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vtknight
Please disregard - our local fanboy got this "from a source - and lets just say my suspicions about the 10.6 seem obvious now...

Sigh.
Yeah...I didn't think there were any results of this testing. And 10.6 in a car with an obvious track alignment with an M7 would be very, very quick for a lift-shift magazine test which usually occurs on an unprepped surface.
S.
vtknight (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 03:23 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

There is apparently a post in the C7 tech forum I missed.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-top-gear.html
Old 02-15-2016, 03:26 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Originally Posted by fleming23

Yup - this is where our fanboy got it from..:
Old 02-15-2016, 03:30 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fleming23

I thought I saw a similar post elsewhere...
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...3s-standing-km

S.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:50 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Front page news!

Definitely thought the front page crowd would be interested in this one...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...shelby-gt350r/
Old 02-18-2016, 04:03 PM
mystoxup
Cruising

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing about the Mustang gets me excited. Even at $50k there are other cars I would rather own. Every time I think of Mustang, I think "rental car." I was just in Hawaii and it's literally the only car they rent there. Obviously, the 350 is a different iteration, but it's still a Mustang. (Apologies to many of the Mustang lovers out there. I probably need to learn a thing or two about Mustangs, so please share!)

I'm a huge fan of the Viper, but you can slap a wing on any car and get better times around a track. It would be interesting to see how a ZO6 with an extra 1000 pounds of downforce would compare to the ACR. As I recall, the ZO6 and the Viper TA are literally splitting hairs around many of the tracks out there.

The article wraps up by asking which is the "best car." Best car on a track, best car to get the ladies, best car to pick up groceries, best car to **** of your wife? The ZO6 is hands down the best car. It's going to win 16/20 categories against the Viper or the Mustang...

Last edited by mystoxup; 02-18-2016 at 04:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mystoxup:
Dan.S (02-20-2016), REDZED2 (02-19-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 05:12 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mystoxup
Nothing about the Mustang gets me excited. Even at $50k there are other cars I would rather own. Every time I think of Mustang, I think "rental car." I was just in Hawaii and it's literally the only car they rent there. Obviously, the 350 is a different iteration, but it's still a Mustang. (Apologies to many of the Mustang lovers out there. I probably need to learn a thing or two about Mustangs, so please share!)

I'm a huge fan of the Viper, but you can slap a wing on any car and get better times around a track. It would be interesting to see how a ZO6 with an extra 1000 pounds of downforce would compare to the ACR. As I recall, the ZO6 and the Viper TA are literally splitting hairs around many of the tracks out there.

The article wraps up by asking which is the "best car." Best car on a track, best car to get the ladies, best car to pick up groceries, best car to **** of your wife? The ZO6 is hands down the best car. It's going to win 16/20 categories against the Viper or the Mustang...
Having owned multiple SVT vehicles I was invited to one of the Track Tours sponsored by them at various tracks around the country. I got to drive the GT350 for several laps on the Sebring short course. It's a little odd...because you're getting into a car you've never driven, sitting next to a driver you don't know (in this case Gunnar Jeannette was with me) and you don't really know how hard they'll let you push the car.
But, it seemed to be a very, very capable car. You have to adjust your mental shift points because at the point you think you should shift, there is another 1200-1400 rpm (8250 rpm). The brakes are, quite simply, the most impressive set of iron brakes I've seen on a production car. 15.5" 2-piece, radially mounted, cross drilled rotors and huge calipers; multiple fluid coolers on the "Track Pack" cars; multiple underbody aero "up kicks" for brakes, tunnel, coolers; lightweight suspension components; bespoke Recaros (far, far better than previous SVT Recaros); actual working aero/downforce; PSS and PSC2 rubber; Magnaride shocks and that damn Voodoo 5.2 FPC V8...they really took it up a notch even from the last SVT Mustang, the '13/'14 GT500.
The car is a little big, and it's heavy at close to 3800#, but it feels light on track. Steering feel and feedback, body motion, power, brakes...just a really balanced and impressive car. I drove a 350, but the R's are supposed to be even better, as one would expect with a much lighter wheel, PSC2's, enhanced aero (rear air foil, front splitter). The neat part is that it should be a very nice track car. Consumables will be reasonable (those badass huge rotors? About $900/set of 4 or $500 for a set of fronts ) because it's a Ford and there is going to be a pretty decent aftermarket for the car...it's already started. Very neat car...and also selling very well. Ford has the SVT sales plan down pretty damn well. They'll sell every damn one they build with very little (if any) discounts off MSRP.
S.
Attached Images     
bredle (02-22-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 05:31 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

The C7 Z06 is the heaviest car I'll ever use on a track again. For that reason alone the Mustang is dead to me. I ran out of gas in the Z on track in my second session starting at a full tank. That's less than 40 minutes of run time on a 18.5 gallon tank. Now I fill up gas after every 20 minute session. Since I have to fill up on the track and I mix in half 100 octane it's something like $300 in gas alone. The Ford likes better fuel from what I've seen out of the dyno.

I agree that the cost of those rotors is low for what it is, bravo Ford, but what about the whole cost of running it? How many people would risk cracking a carbon fiber wheel on track? How many runs do you get out of the rotors, they are cheap for the size sure, but how long can you run them before they warp and crack? Would any good driver get more than 4 track days out of a set of $2,000+ tires?

And then you can say well, it's just money. Ok. Spend it. But what about the tires getting greasy trying to work under that tank? There are only a few street/track tires in production that allow you to run a full session and even then you'll be slower significantly in the last few laps.

It doesn't really have the makings of a track car due to weight alone is my verdict.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:13 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
The C7 Z06 is the heaviest car I'll ever use on a track again. For that reason alone the Mustang is dead to me. I ran out of gas in the Z on track in my second session starting at a full tank. That's less than 40 minutes of run time on a 18.5 gallon tank. Now I fill up gas after every 20 minute session. Since I have to fill up on the track and I mix in half 100 octane it's something like $300 in gas alone. The Ford likes better fuel from what I've seen out of the dyno.

I agree that the cost of those rotors is low for what it is, bravo Ford, but what about the whole cost of running it? How many people would risk cracking a carbon fiber wheel on track? How many runs do you get out of the rotors, they are cheap for the size sure, but how long can you run them before they warp and crack? Would any good driver get more than 4 track days out of a set of $2,000+ tires?

And then you can say well, it's just money. Ok. Spend it. But what about the tires getting greasy trying to work under that tank? There are only a few street/track tires in production that allow you to run a full session and even then you'll be slower significantly in the last few laps.

It doesn't really have the makings of a track car due to weight alone is my verdict.
Then go buy a Miata. Or stick with your S2000. Then you don't have to worry about fuel consumption or brake and tire wear. And you'll be slower. The last I checked, there was an extremely small selection of 500+ horsepower offerings out there that have the speed and abilities of the GT350. It'll stomp either one of those cars. Alternatively, you can go buy a ~$140k Porsche 991 GT3 (used now, because you won't find a new one). According to Ford, the GT3 is about as fast as the GT350 same track, same day, same driver and the GT3 is only about $85k more.
S.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:22 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Then go buy a Miata. Or stick with your S2000. Then you don't have to worry about fuel consumption or brake and tire wear. And you'll be slower. The last I checked, there was an extremely small selection of 500+ horsepower offerings out there that have the speed and abilities of the GT350. It'll stomp either one of those cars. Alternatively, you can go buy a ~$140k Porsche 991 GT3 (used now, because you won't find a new one). According to Ford, the GT3 is about as fast as the GT350 same track, same day, same driver and the GT3 is only about $85k more.
S.
Whenever I get back "go buy x car and it will be worst at doing y" response I know that's just the nicest way corvette forum members can say "I agree."
Old 02-18-2016, 06:30 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Whenever I get back "go buy x car and it will be worst at doing y" response I know that's just the nicest way corvette forum members can say "I agree."
Well then you're completely misunderstanding my post.
The bottom line is that you're not going to find a car that fast, with low fuel consumption that's going to make you happy, and tire/brake wear like a Miata/S2000.
Perhaps you can tell me what such car exists new, off the dealer showroom floor. Let's keep this to cars that will run GT350/GT3 lap times just for fun...go.
S.

Get notified of new replies

To Top Gear comparison - ACR, Z06, GT350R

Old 02-18-2016, 06:43 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Well then you're completely misunderstanding my post.
The bottom line is that you're not going to find a car that fast, with low fuel consumption that's going to make you happy, and tire/brake wear like a Miata/S2000.
Perhaps you can tell me what such car exists new, off the dealer showroom floor. Let's keep this to cars that will run GT350/GT3 lap times just for fun...go.
S.
The bottom line is that I made no mention to lap times or sticker prices and most of all I didn't ask for car advice. Because that's not at all what I was discussing it is not relevant, nor I am interested in debating these separate points.

You brought up the point that the rotors were fairly cheap given their construction, and my point was that you can't just look at the rotor alone to count consumables cost on a 3,700 lbs car. What you are trying to stop is just as important as what you stop it with. You have to look at it as a whole.

If you disagree that the Mustang 350/R will have exorbitant consumables cost when driven at speed or that most street tires will get greasy when used with a car over 3,700 lbs then shoot.

Am I really the first person to say tracking a 3,700lbs+ car is silly?
Old 02-18-2016, 06:50 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

While weight is a big part of how a car drives, the Z06 is very fast around a track, even @ 3500 lbs.

I guess it's silly to track a Z28 (3800 lbs) and an Aventador SV (3900 lbs) too because of their weight, even though they set fast times...

Last edited by four0nefive; 02-18-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:02 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

The bottom line is that I made no mention to lap times or sticker prices and most of all I didn't ask for car advice. Because that's not at all what I was discussing it is not relevant, nor I am interested in debating these separate points.

You brought up the point that the rotors were fairly cheap given their construction, and my point was that you can't just look at the rotor alone to count consumables cost on a 3,700 lbs car. What you are trying to stop is just as important as what you stop it with. You have to look at it as a whole.

If you disagree that the Mustang 350/R will have exorbitant consumables cost when driven at speed or that most street tires will get greasy when used with a car over 3,700 lbs then shoot.

Am I really the first person to say tracking a 3,700lbs+ car is silly?
I see.

So you can offer no cars as an alternative, particularly when an alternative would have to offer similar performance. Got it.

I don't want to go to Sebring and run mid :30's, or :50's at Road Atlanta so I can stand around the paddock and tell everyone how long a set of tires and brakes last me. And since other than the GT350, various Camaro models (Z28, 1LE...both close to or heavier than the GT350), Corvette and 911's, nothing in a reasonable price range (911 variants are borderline) is going to offer similar performance the choices are limited.
S.

Quick Reply: Top Gear comparison - ACR, Z06, GT350R