C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

DSC-Sport suspension pricing released and Katech pre-order started

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 03:42 PM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Yes. DSC Sport says it's a huge difference in ride quality and handling with just the controller. I'll be trying that first on my car, then installing the shocks.
Is the only difference between this and the OEM solution is that it can be programmed? Can you store multiple calibrations?
Old 02-26-2016, 04:25 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Toilets
Wait, what?? Are you saying by installing this controller I can firm up the MR suspension even more that what it currently is? Or less in the rear and more in the front?
Yes, to the limit of the shocks. That is why the next level is a shock upgrade. Not only can you firm it up, but you can map it in different areas based on vehicle speed, G-force, shock velocity, throttle angle, etc. So it can be soft up to a certain point and then firmer. So you could say I want it to be softer than stock up to .5G cornering and then firm up. Or based on shock velocity to handle potholes etc..

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 02-26-2016, 04:25 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by RS4EVA
Is the only difference between this and the OEM solution is that it can be programmed? Can you store multiple calibrations?
Yes, and yes, 3 calibrations.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:43 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,405 Likes on 1,374 Posts

The tuning possibilities with this controller and software are pretty mind blowing. I told Mike that I like Sport mode but I wanted a softer ride with it like Tour.

Rather than soften it up all we time we just plugged in a bigger "hole" in the center of the G curve. So in my case as long as the car is seeing less than .2 Gs the shocks stay very soft. Throw it in to a curve though and firms right up.
The following users liked this post:
4GS7 (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 07:12 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, to the limit of the shocks. That is why the next level is a shock upgrade. Not only can you firm it up, but you can map it in different areas based on vehicle speed, G-force, shock velocity, throttle angle, etc. So it can be soft up to a certain point and then firmer. So you could say I want it to be softer than stock up to .5G cornering and then firm up. Or based on shock velocity to handle potholes etc..
Ok ok this is crazy awesome. So essentially, keeping all things stock, I can firm up the front suspension more while keep the rear the same so that I can have less of a dive during hard braking? See below pic.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:45 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Toilets
Ok ok this is crazy awesome. So essentially, keeping all things stock, I can firm up the front suspension more while keep the rear the same so that I can have less of a dive during hard braking? See below pic.
Yes, you can firm up the front shocks in the negative portion of the G table. You're probably pushing the limit of the stock shocks though so you would benefit from the RT shocks.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:03 AM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Yes, and yes, 3 calibrations.
This is really cool. How do you change the cals?
Old 02-27-2016, 08:09 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,405 Likes on 1,374 Posts

This is really cool. How do you change the cals?
Check out the software tutorial on youtube that Jason posted in his initial post. In the software you have 3 calibrations to work with and they map to Tour/Sport/Track. You read the current config from the controller, make your edits, and then upload them back to the controller.

You can download the software here and play with it.
http://www.dscsport.com/software/
Old 02-27-2016, 08:41 AM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Check out the software tutorial on youtube that Jason posted in his initial post. In the software you have 3 calibrations to work with and they map to Tour/Sport/Track. You read the current config from the controller, make your edits, and then upload them back to the controller.

You can download the software here and play with it.
http://www.dscsport.com/software/
Very cool stuff. I bet the OEM controller could do the same if you had the right tool.

And I assume this doesn't affect any of the ptm tc or sc. Eco mode and weather still work as normal?
Old 02-27-2016, 09:08 AM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

Very cool stuff. I bet the OEM controller could do the same if you had the right tool.

And I assume this doesn't affect any of the ptm tc or sc. Eco mode and weather still work as normal?
Yes Eco and weather are mapped to the same shock calibration as tour.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:29 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,844 Likes on 1,158 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

You're probably pushing the limit of the stock shocks though so you would benefit from the RT shocks.
...assuming the front tires have enough grip to deal with it, of course. That weight transfer is going to go somewhere, and if it's not absorbed by the shocks (via compression), it just means it's transferred to the tires.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:34 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

I had TPC Racing/Mike Levitas install the DSC controller and RTx shocks on my 2010 911T race car over the winter racing season break.

The PCA Sebring race several weeks ago is the first time I’ve had it on track since the install. The DSC system transformed the car. It’s hard to describe the improvement realized with the system. I have been running high end JRZ shocks well tuned/set up for my car prior to the DSC controller and RTx shocks

First session right off the truck after not driving all winter and prior to fine tuning/tweaking the system I knocked over 2 seconds off my prior best time at Sebring. For those that have raced/driven Sebring it is a VERY rough/bumpy track. The DSC system literally made the bumps disappear. It was like driving on a freshly paved highway. Just truly remarkable.

I did a bunch of research prior to committing to the system. Several years have been spent developing the system on race and street Porsche's with impressive results. A 997 TPC Racing IMSA Porsche Cup race car was the test mule. The 997 Cup car ran faster lap times than half the field in newer generation 991 Cup cars!!! Lots of discussion on Rennlist on the DSC system. I've not read a single negative post. Everyone who's bought the system posts impressive results.

They then developed the system for the Viper with the same positive results as on Porsche's. The Viper forum guys also praise the system.

Based upon the years spent developing the system I'd be surprised if the same results realized on Porsche's and Viper's aren't seen on the Z06.

The quality of the shocks is second to none. They are suspension **** and it's a shame they're hard to see once installed.

I started my research here: http://www.dscsport.com/ and then read hundreds of posts found Googling DSC Sport. Lots of info out there. Here's some useful info:

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/07/...cks-in-action/

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-g...ion-forum.html

I've no vested postion with DSC but am an extremely satisfied customer. Game changing.....

Last edited by rikhek; 02-27-2016 at 11:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (02-27-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 06:38 PM
swordsman
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is expected ETA of the controllers
Old 02-29-2016, 10:17 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by swordsman
What is expected ETA of the controllers
May 31st.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:01 PM
vette_fly
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

May 31st.

This looks really cool. Is the idea that there will be canned or default suspension calibrations we would start with? Right now the faculty MRCS has different calibrations depending on if a non-Z07 has or doesn't have the aero package or CCBs. Would the canned tunes be generic enough to apply to all the possible factory combinations?
Old 02-29-2016, 08:17 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vette_fly
This looks really cool. Is the idea that there will be canned or default suspension calibrations we would start with? Right now the faculty MRCS has different calibrations depending on if a non-Z07 has or doesn't have the aero package or CCBs. Would the canned tunes be generic enough to apply to all the possible factory combinations?
Take a look at the tuning software video -- it's much simpler than compression and rebound clicks for standard suspension. The basic premise is that you have a G table square, with a bunch of cubes in it, that represent all of the combinations of positive and negative latitudinal and longitudinal G forces. In each of those squares, you can set the firmness of each damper.

That might sound complicated but it's fairly easy.

Point being, the calibrations are straight forward and usable for different shocks -- I'll post some screen shots later (not on my PC).
Old 02-29-2016, 09:29 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

OK, here's a screen shot -- I have the top right sector selected, which shows the shock settings.

Get notified of new replies

To DSC-Sport suspension pricing released and Katech pre-order started

Old 03-01-2016, 08:06 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by vette_fly
We will have starting calibrations for all options.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:03 PM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

We will have starting calibrations for all options.
I could also upgrade my FE6 dampers with FE7 and the corresponding bushings, etc. The key thing would be to know what the OEM FE7 values are to start with.

Can the DSC software read the OEM controller?

Last edited by RS4EVA; 03-01-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:16 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

I could also upgrade my FE6 dampers with FE7 and the corresponding bushings, etc. The key thing would be to know what the OEM FE7 values are to start with.

Can the DSC software read the OEM controller?

From what I understand, the stiffer rear bushings were to add a bit of balance to the car due to the stiffer front spring. It was cheaper to put in stiffer rear bushings than a stiffer rear spring or rear stab bar. The car was probably prone to understeer with the same FE6 rear stab bushings. The bushings effectively raised the sprint rate of the stab bar.

If you were going to change springs out, you are probably much better off going with coil-overs. This setup takes you way past an FE7 car, so no reason to bolt on FE7 parts - especially because coil springs are not going to be materially more money than OEM FE7 leaf springs.

If you want to adjust stab bar rates, you are probably better off buying an adjustable set of stab bars and starting there.

As far as calibrations go, the DSC module is light years ahead - and it's not really like they are a 1:1 match. The DSC adjusts all dampers independently and adjusts them based upon many more factors than the OEM controller.

**EDIT**

Sorry I just re-read your question.

Yes, you could definitely upgrade the dampers to FE7 dampers, then get the springs and bushings. When I was doing the numbers, the dollar amount was around $2,200 for OEM parts.

You could do this in stages, as I don't now how much more effective the FE7 dampers would be -- you could start with springs and bushings, and then see where you were at. I'd hesitate spending $1,600 on OEM dampers if you can avoid it. Total cost of ownership on the Tractive DDA dampers is probably similar - $4,900 for the dampers, could resell for $2,500 or more, vs. OEM FE7 dampers being mostly worthless.

Last edited by schaibaa; 03-01-2016 at 01:38 PM.

Quick Reply: DSC-Sport suspension pricing released and Katech pre-order started