C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

HPDE at VIR video

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 10:48 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Default HPDE at VIR video

I put this up in the AutoX/Roadrace section, but for those of you that don't frequent that section here's a PDR video of my C7 Z06 on the track during the NCM HPDE at VIR June 27-28.

I haven't been to Spring Mt yet, and I just turned 1500 miles on the car (the Owner's Manual recommendation before tracking it), so this was my first experience with the C7 on the track. I've tracked my C6 Z06 and ZR1 extensively, but my first impression of the C7 is - WOW!!!

Forum member JDillon was with me, and we switched seats after I drove a couple laps. He has a C7 Z06 also, but hasn't tracked it (he has an all-out racecar for track duty!), but he was very impressed as well with the fantastic track manners of C7 Z06.

I don't know when the next track event I'll attend is, but I know I'll be going to my home track at Daytona to run the Rolex 24 roadcourse at forum member Henry Gilbert's event Sep 30th-Oct 2nd - check out his site for info if you want to run that track:

http://www.performancedrivinggroup.com/events

Here's the PDR video of VIR. I thought I had marked the start/finish line during previous sessions, but I guess it didn't take so there's no track map or lap times:

Old 07-01-2016, 11:41 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Old 07-01-2016, 02:31 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,170 Likes on 5,991 Posts

My home track... good fun isn't it. Work on carrying more speed through the esses (these cars can go through there in the 130s) and keep your foot down all the way down the hill on the back straight. Hit the brakes in the valley and then use the compression into the uphill section to really stop the car.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:45 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Next time be sure to mark the finish line, so you get your lap times and moving map. I always do it during the warmup lap, unless I forget.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:09 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
My home track... good fun isn't it. Work on carrying more speed through the esses (these cars can go through there in the 130s) and keep your foot down all the way down the hill on the back straight. Hit the brakes in the valley and then use the compression into the uphill section to really stop the car.
Yeah - I only had the Stage 2 end plates on the splitter and Stage 1 extensions on the rear spoiler. JD commented that he was sure that the full Stage 3 would really help out in keeping the speed through the esses. I left my street aero on the car - wasn't planning on running it real hard. But, the car is easy to drive hard and fast, so next time at VIR I'll have the Stage 3 on it.

The car has the carbon ceramic brakes, and they are really fantastic (until I need to replace them!), but first time on the track with car I was still feeling out its manners and capabilities - which are beyond mine! But I know what you mean about going deeper into the brake zone into the dip after the hump over the top of the hill - the compression in the dip will give you real good traction for excellent braking.

Originally Posted by ElCid79
Next time be sure to mark the finish line, so you get your lap times and moving map. I always do it during the warmup lap, unless I forget.
Yeah - it's one of those learning experiences as I try to figure out all the great features of the car. If I don't head down to Sebring in the next month or so the next event will be Daytona for Henry Gilbert's event Sep 30-Oct 2. I'll make sure I get the S/F line set for future events!

Old 07-02-2016, 10:49 PM
SharkgrayVetteZ06
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Yeah - I only had the Stage 2 end plates on the splitter and Stage 1 extensions on the rear spoiler. JD commented that he was sure that the full Stage 3 would really help out in keeping the speed through the esses. I left my street aero on the car - wasn't planning on running it real hard. But, the car is easy to drive hard and fast, so next time at VIR I'll have the Stage 3 on it.

The car has the carbon ceramic brakes, and they are really fantastic (until I need to replace them!), but first time on the track with car I was still feeling out its manners and capabilities - which are beyond mine! But I know what you mean about going deeper into the brake zone into the dip after the hump over the top of the hill - the compression in the dip will give you real good traction for excellent braking.Yeah - it's one of those learning experiences as I try to figure out all the great features of the car. If I don't head down to Sebring in the next month or so the next event will be Daytona for Henry Gilbert's event Sep 30-Oct 2. I'll make sure I get the S/F line set for future events!

How much did it cost to replace the carbon ceramics?
Old 07-02-2016, 11:30 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for posting, sounded like y'all were having a blast!
Old 07-03-2016, 12:35 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SharkgrayVetteZ06
How much did it cost to replace the carbon ceramics?
Oooohhh - if you have to ask!!!

I haven't replaced them yet,

Butt....a quick look shows the cheapest rotors are around $1675 each (so multiply by 4 for an estimate on them), and the pads are about $585 for a set for the front, and $540 for a rear set.

I hope to get 4 or 5 track events (8 or 10 days) out of a set of pads, and I hope the rotors last through several sets of pads.

Bottom line - they ain't cheap!!!

Old 07-03-2016, 12:52 AM
SharkgrayVetteZ06
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Oooohhh - if you have to ask!!!

I haven't replaced them yet,

Butt....a quick look shows the cheapest rotors are around $1675 each (so multiply by 4 for an estimate on them), and the pads are about $585 for a set for the front, and $540 for a rear set.

I hope to get 4 or 5 track events (8 or 10 days) out of a set of pads, and I hope the rotors last through several sets of pads.

Bottom line - they ain't cheap!!!

Damn that's expensive. I just ordered a 17' with Z07 package. I won't be tracking the car so I won't be replacing them ever or for a very long time Was curious to know how much they cost to replace tho. Thanks for letting me know!!
Old 07-03-2016, 07:01 AM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

I put this up in the AutoX/Roadrace section, but for those of you that don't frequent that section here's a PDR video of my C7 Z06 on the track during the NCM HPDE at VIR June 27-28.

I haven't been to Spring Mt yet, and I just turned 1500 miles on the car (the Owner's Manual recommendation before tracking it), so this was my first experience with the C7 on the track. I've tracked my C6 Z06 and ZR1 extensively, but my first impression of the C7 is - WOW!!!

Forum member JDillon was with me, and we switched seats after I drove a couple laps. He has a C7 Z06 also, but hasn't tracked it (he has an all-out racecar for track duty!), but he was very impressed as well with the fantastic track manners of C7 Z06.

I don't know when the next track event I'll attend is, but I know I'll be going to my home track at Daytona to run the Rolex 24 roadcourse at forum member Henry Gilbert's event Sep 30th-Oct 2nd - check out his site for info if you want to run that track:

http://www.performancedrivinggroup.com/events

Here's the PDR video of VIR. I thought I had marked the start/finish line during previous sessions, but I guess it didn't take so there's no track map or lap times:

https://youtu.be/eEDqMGOYJ2Y

Nice driving. That thing is fast!

Last edited by BWFitz; 07-03-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:11 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Yeah - it's one of those learning experiences as I try to figure out all the great features of the car. If I don't head down to Sebring in the next month or so the next event will be Daytona for Henry Gilbert's event Sep 30-Oct 2. I'll make sure I get the S/F line set for future events!

Bob...you'll notice a big difference with even just the Stage 2 wickers on the back. The car will have much more rear grip and allow you to get back on the throttle a little sooner.
As for the PDR, once you set the S/F if you are using the same SD card you won't have to set it again. A 32G card will give somewhere around 800+ minutes of recording time.

Looks like you are enjoying the C7Z as much as I enjoyed mine!
S.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:16 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Snorman
...Looks like you are enjoying the C7Z as much as I enjoyed mine!
S.
Hi Sean

Oh yeah - I'm lovin' this car!!!

I got the car in March, but the Owner's Manual says get 1500 miles on it before tracking it. I ran the ZR1 at the Daytona event in April, and also at the NCM HPDE at the Motorsport Park in Bowling Green in May.

But I got 1500 miles on the C7 so I was able to get it on the track at the VIR event.

My next event probably won't be until Henry's Daytona event Sep30-Oct2, and I'll definitely be running the C7 then. Will you be attending that one?

Anybody who's interested in running an HPDE on the Daytona Rolex 24 roadcourse, there are several events every fall, and I just posted up some info about that Sep30-Oct2 event in the AutoX/Roadrace section of the forum. If you're interested, check out that thread at:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...this-fall.html

The C7 is a GREAT track car, so I hope to see lots of you at the track!!

Last edited by BEZ06; 07-03-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:12 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to see you're tracking the car. What a waste if you didn't. Can't wait to get mine! Enjoyed the full screen video on Youtube. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:45 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,558 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Nice job Thanks for sharing the video. We visited the Museum track on the way back from Fla this past winter. Looks like a great track. I am looking forward to doing the Spring Mountain course. I've only had mine for a couple of weeks.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:26 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Bob...you'll notice a big difference with even just the Stage 2 wickers on the back. The car will have much more rear grip and allow you to get back on the throttle a little sooner.
I decided to try another experiment this weekend at Summit Point with the rear aero. I'd been running with the stage 3 aero all the way around and was really pushing the car so I had a good feel for the limit.

I decided to run a session without the rear wickers (effectively stage 1) to see what effect it had on the handling and straight line speed. It was YUUUGGGEE! In the high speed sweepers (T3 and T10 on Summit Main) the car was much looser and I had to wait a lot longer to get back to power. The result was slower lap times and about the same VMAX on the front straight since I was coming out of T10 so much slower.

I have some Aim data that I'm still trying to figure out how to present but you can see where starting at around 130 MPH the stage 1 aero starts gaining speed on the stage 3 and it really shows about 140 MPH. This matches my SOTP impressions from VIR on the back straight.

I tried stage 2 v stage 3 at VIR and while I could feel a difference in the uphill essess I didn't notice any realy difference in VMAX on the back straights.

At this point I'm just sticking with the stage 3 aero unless someone makes a track with long periods above 140 MPH in a straight line (Le Mans? ).

Last edited by Poor-sha; 07-04-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:02 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
...At this point I'm just sticking with the stage 3 aero unless someone makes a track with long periods above 140 MPH in a straight line (Le Mans? ).
Come on down to Daytona for the PDG event Sep30-Oct2. Or there will be another good event Dec 9-11.

I'll be running my C7 Z06 in the PDG event, but I don't know what to expect. My C6 Z06 did 160+ into the brake zone for the chicane on the back straight, and 175 over the S/F line where you start to think about braking for the turn into the infield. My ZR1 does about 5 mph faster on the back straight, and 185 across the S/F line. Those are at the Dec event where you can run with the windows up - I'm a few mph slower with the windows open at the other events here that make you run with them down, so a little bit of extra drag can make quite a bit of difference.

At the PDG event I'll probably try different variations of aero to see what works best at Daytona. The problem is that the front splitter end plates are a bit of a PITA to swap - the rear spoiler extensions are no problem (mine are not stuck on with the double-sided tape, so easy to swap).

Bottom line - you're above 140 mph for a quite a good period of time going around the 31° banking and down the SuperStretch (back straight) and the front straight (really a kink that is still banked about 15° at the S/F line).

C'mon down - you'll love really turning the Vette loose for pretty extended periods of WOT!!

Last edited by BEZ06; 07-04-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I didn't think about Daytona. That sounds like a great test. If I can find a way to get down there in December I will. Daytona and Sebring are both on my bucket list.

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE at VIR video

Old 07-04-2016, 12:39 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I didn't think about Daytona. That sounds like a great test. If I can find a way to get down there in December I will. Daytona and Sebring are both on my bucket list.
If you can't make the Sep30-Oct2 event, here's a link to where you can get a little bit of info about the Dec Daytona event - scroll down to the bottom:

http://www.audiclubohiovalley.org

You can see there's a link to an application form, or it refers you over to www.motorsportreg.com to register.

Get ready for the sticker shock!! It costs about twice as much to run here as most other events. I've heard it costs something like $35,000 per day to lease the track, but when running here we get almost the full NASCAR staff of crash-rescue vehicles, tow trucks, corner workers, etc. That's why several of the Daytona events have co-sponsoring track day organizers - the Dec event is co-sponsored by that Audi club and also Hooked-on-Driving. PDG used to co-sponsor, but the Audi club runs a little more restrictive type of event than PDG likes to run!!

Last edited by BEZ06; 07-04-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:22 PM
deeplateapex
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I missed Sean, (btw, I was with Mike L supporting GT3 Sebastian Landy first and 2nd place at Montreal) and took my Z07 to visit with Pat, Mike and others and had a great time, even though my car was not prepared for the event at VIR I couldn't miss this opportunity.
BTW, Craig Leighty runs the Daytona event, great guy, but the event costs alot to rent track.

I will try to include a short one lap video later, as I am on a mac, and the video is on a MS Surface.

My initial comments follow, and I take different lines around track, but you will see later in video. Also, good to see you run to red-line, I occasionally used 5-5,500 shift points, so I know there was alot more in the car, especially the brakes, as the CCB's were 3/4s used so
I did not want to loose a pad so was easy on the brakes so that I could make it through the weekend. Great track conditions, even the slight rain was no bother.

Initial comments ( I am sure Sean will spank me!):

2015 Z06/7 A08 run hard, delivered perfect results
while I am listed as new, I did't realize I had two user names. Exiled!
I have eagerly watched others with overheating claims of the Z06/7 issues especially with A08 trans. I have run, selectively last year in cool weather, so tests were not valid.
Just came back from NCM event at VIR. Very well run, Congrats Pat & Mike for a great event. Weather was 90 deg first day.

Temps were consistently:
Water: 220
Oil:235
Trans: 190
Tirepressures cold 26; hot 33-34

I was on track giving student and other instructor rides, and car performed perfectly except I need more neg camber on front -1.7 setting is too conservative for Cup2's. I was prepared to encounter limp mode. Not even close. I am used to paddle shift race cars: Radical, BabyGrand, R8V10, and the A08 performed in RACE mode flawlessly! Shift points were limited to 5,500-6,000 rpm so next gear would be in torque curve. Fast competitive lap times, ahead of most all street cars and GT3 Porsche. I am used to racing full race-prepped cars, so this was an experiment. Car was so easy to drive hard, as last year I tested myself at VIR and drove the rain day with Cup2's instead of PS2's.
Several ex-corvette engineers were present and they appreciated my data, but recommended powersteering mod. Remember this report covers a 90 degree sunny day.
Not sure if I am just fortunate to have a well constructed machine, or if aggressive, committed driving, proper shifting, etc. makes the difference. My CCM brake pads need replacing, so the last two runs the second day, milder temps, had me checking pad wear closely. Despite other horror stories, I have to say, GM got close to the mark. I think the suspension settings require modification and TPC may be my next step, however the Z06 is eclipsed for track duty by my SCCA race cars. But I really enjoy the fast up/downshifts from a Torqueconverter trans? and ignore the complaints about not being a DSG. My Audi is DSG, but the 650# torque makes up for an inefficiencies. VIR is the perfect track as these machines easily top 160 mph on back straight and 145+ front.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:25 PM
deeplateapex
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Why does a moderator have to approve my posts;
I guess I am not old enough to be trusted to be civil?

Quick Reply: HPDE at VIR video