C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

F1X Procharged Z06 Killed 3 Fuel Pumps!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 09:36 AM
Dameian
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Listen, Im not going back and forth about this bullshit. Your (VR) cam lift was wrong, the cam was installed properly. New cam is in with ZERO issues. Done.

Last edited by Dameian; 08-27-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:45 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Dameian
Listen, Im not going back and forth about this bullshit. Your (VR) cam lift was wrong, the cam was installed properly. New cam is in with ZERO issues. Done.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:04 PM
Oleman
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 08-29-2016, 08:56 AM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dameian

Understood sir. Thank you for the factual information. I would welcome the opportunity to measure the lobe lift on your camshaft and get Cam Motion involved to credit you for the HPFPs and camshaft you have purchased to remedy this situation.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ron@Vengeance Racing:
Ahmed_otb (08-29-2016), CFHay (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 09:10 AM
Ahmed_otb
ICE enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance Racing
Understood sir. Thank you for the factual information. I would welcome the opportunity to measure the lobe lift on your camshaft and get Cam Motion involved to credit you for the HPFPs and camshaft you have purchased to remedy this situation.
thats what I call standing by their customers and products

now I know for where I'll buy my mods
Old 09-23-2016, 03:47 PM
cammotion perf
Supporting Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default LT Mechanical Fuel Pump Lobes & Pump Installation

After reading over this thread, I want to bring some clarity to LT mechanical fuel lobes and LT mechanical fuel pump installation.

First, an LT camshaft fuel lobe cannot be made taller than the bearing journal. If you did make the fuel lobe nose too tall, you would not be able to physically install the camshaft in the engine. From the factory the OEM camshaft’s fuel lobe is about .005-.020” shorter than the camshaft bearing journal. Our max fuel LT fuel pump lobe has the same bearing journal clearance as the factory LT camshaft fuel lobe. When making a higher lift LT mechanical fuel pump lobe you make the fuel pump drive rod stroke longer by reducing the base circle of the camshaft’s fuel lobe not by making the fuel lobe nose taller. Reducing the base circle is the only way it is possible to do it. This is why you sometimes need a lash cap to get pump preload.

The OEM mechanical fuel pump lobe has .240” of lift. Our fuel lobes have .295” of lift. The OEM LT mechanical fuel pump has about .362” of stroke (travel). That means the pump has about .067” more stroke than our fuel pump lobe has lift. In this scenario, the only way you can damage the pump by over compressing the fuel drive rod is if the installer does not get the pump preload, lash cap thickness and/or installed height correct.

When installing the mechanical fuel pump, it is the installer’s responsibility to make sure that you have the proper pump installed height and/or lash cap thickness so that you have some preload but do not bottom out the pump. The simplest way to do this is to follow this procedure:

Rotate the engine and or camshaft until the mechanical fuel pump lifter would rest on the camshaft fuel pump lobe’s lowest lift point or “base circle”. Then install the fuel pump with gasket by hand and see if there is preload between the fuel pump lifter and the fuel pump drive rod. If there is no preload, then you will need to install a lash cap. You will want to achieve some preload just as it comes from the factory.

Next rotate the engine and or camshaft until the mechanical fuel pump drive lobe raises the fuel pump lifter to its peak or highest lift point. Now install the mechanical fuel pump by hand with no gasket. If it will install by hand with no gasket without the fuel pump drive rod bottoming out, then you will have enough clearance when the gasket is installed to not damage the pump. However if the fuel pump drive rod does bottom out before the bolts are tight with no gasket while the fuel pump lobe is at full lift, you will destroy the pump if you run the engine this way.

The lash caps are available in different sizes E.g .060”, .080”. There are also some aftermarket valley covers that may change the mechanical pumps installed height. If you lower the installed height without compensating for this or if you install too thick of a lash cap, you will destroy your mechanical fuel pump. It is the installer job to make sure they have sufficient clearances.
I hope this information is helpful.

I will also add that if anyone has a problem with a product that we manufacture call us. We are glad and eager to help our customers. And, we support our products 100%. In the rare event that there is a problem with the product, we will preplace the product and get it to you quickly. That is how we roll.

~Steven

The Switch Is On To Cam Motion!
40 years of Championship Winning Experience • Superior 8620 Steel Camshaft Cores • Quiet, Smooth & Powerful Lobe Design • Virtually Unlimited Lift and Duration Combinations • Finish Polished For Quiet Operation • Cam Doctor Printout With All Cams
The Industry's Best Customer Service

www.CamMotion.com ☎ 866-461-9536Like Us On Facebook!

Last edited by cammotion perf; 09-23-2016 at 05:21 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by cammotion perf:
ajrothm (09-26-2016), FYREANT (03-01-2017), GapRider (03-19-2023), GSpeed (09-25-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 04:58 PM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cammotion perf
After reading over this thread, I want to bring some clarity to LT mechanical fuel lobes and LT mechanical fuel pump installation.

First, an LT camshaft fuel lobe cannot be made taller than the bearing journal. If you did make the fuel lobe nose too tall, you would not be able to physically install the camshaft in the engine. From the factory the OEM camshaft’s fuel lobe is about .005-.020” shorter than the camshaft bearing journal. Our max fuel LT fuel pump lobe has the same bearing journal clearance as the factory LT camshaft fuel lobe. When making a higher lift LT mechanical fuel pump lobe you make the fuel pump drive rod stroke longer by reducing the base circle of the camshaft’s fuel lobe not by making the fuel lobe nose taller. Reducing the base circle is the only way it is possible to do it. This is why you sometimes need a lash cap to get pump preload.

The OEM mechanical fuel pump lobe has .240” of lift. Our fuel lobes have .295” of lift. The OEM LT mechanical fuel pump has about .362” of stroke (travel). That means the pump has about .067” more stroke than our fuel pump lobe has lift. In this scenario, the only way you can damage the pump by over compressing the fuel drive rod is if the installer does not get the pump preload, lash cap thickness and/or installed height correct.

When installing the mechanical fuel pump, it is the installer’s responsibility to make sure that you have the proper pump installed height and/or lash cap thickness so that you have some preload but do not bottom out the pump. The simplest way to do this is to follow this procedure:

Rotate the engine and or camshaft until the mechanical fuel pump lifter would rest on the camshaft fuel pump lobe’s lowest lift point or “base circle”. Then install the fuel pump with gasket by hand and see if there is preload between the fuel pump lifter and the fuel pump drive rod. If there is no preload, then you will need to install a lash cap. You will want to achieve some preload just as it comes from the factory.

Next rotate the engine and or camshaft until the mechanical fuel pump drive lobe raises the fuel pump lifter to its peak or highest lift point. Now install the mechanical fuel pump by hand with no gasket. If it will install by hand with no gasket without the fuel pump drive rod bottoming out, then you will have enough clearance when the gasket is installed to not damage the pump. However if the fuel pump drive rod does bottom out before the bolts are tight with no gasket while the fuel pump lobe is at full lift, you will destroy the pump if you run the engine this way.

The lash caps are available in different sizes E.g .060”, .080”. There are also some aftermarket valley covers that may change the mechanical pumps installed height. If you lower the installed height without compensating for this or if you install too thick of a lash cap, you will destroy your mechanical fuel pump. It is the installer job to make sure they have sufficient clearances.
I hope this information is helpful.

I will also add that if anyone has a problem with a product that we manufacture call us. We are glad and eager to help our customers. And, we support our products 100%. In the rare event that there is a problem with the product, we will preplace the product and get it to you quickly. That is how we roll.

~Steven

Thank you Steven. We have not received the camshaft back for inspection as of the time of this post. I am completely confident the issue has zero to do with the camshaft/fuel pump lobe.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:17 PM
DP RS
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance Racing

VR always supports our customers before/during AND AFTER the sale.
I'm new around these parts, but I've been grilling VR about pre-conditions to my install...I've not seen any flags and they are constantly responding. I lurked for a while before posting and I'm impressed, so thanks Ron!

Looking forward to November....
Old 09-29-2016, 04:46 PM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DP RS
I'm new around these parts, but I've been grilling VR about pre-conditions to my install...I've not seen any flags and they are constantly responding. I lurked for a while before posting and I'm impressed, so thanks Ron!

Looking forward to November....

Quick Reply: F1X Procharged Z06 Killed 3 Fuel Pumps!!