C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Unusual power loss after 20 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 08:04 AM
garychurch
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Unusual power loss after 20 minutes

I have been driving my Z06 in this summer in VA with temperatures hovering around the 100 mark.

After about 20 minutes of driving when I try to moderately accelerate from low RPMs (below 2500), the Z06 lacks powers and the engine will struggle and surge until the supercharger comes on at about 3,000 RPM. The Z06 runs great and normal until this 20 minute window.

It feels suspiciously like vapor lock due to a heat soak problem. I've also suspected that the intercooler may also have reached high temperatures and become ineffective. An air leak passed the throttle body has also been considered.

I have a Dewitt after market intercooler which has more cooling capacity the the OEM, but I don't see how that could affect the problem.

If anyone in Corvette land has had this problem or can suggest a cause and solution, I would be grateful. I have a great dealer mechanic, but he seems to be at a loss to explain what's going on so I tune to the Forum.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:05 AM
MindBend
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

If it's happening due to high IAT's (after running it hard a couple times) try this: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ler-video.html
Old 08-20-2016, 08:27 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Is intake OEM?
Old 08-20-2016, 08:33 AM
garychurch
Advanced

Yes, stock OEM.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:58 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,405 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Hi Gary. I had my car seem really low on power one very hot day but it seemed to be that way from the start. It was the day after I was at the track so I thought maybe I broke something. I was about to take the car to the dealer and things improved so I didn't bother. To this day I'm not sure if it was just my imagination, the heat, or some transient issue.

If you want to try logging some things like IAT2 or fuel trims I have one of these you can borrow. https://www.obdsoftware.net/scantools/obdlinkmxwifi. You'll need to get one of the apps but it seems to work pretty well.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:24 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 485 Posts

Really sounds like the S/C heat exchanger hasn't been purged of all the air IMHO.
Bish
Old 08-20-2016, 12:00 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

What octane gas are you running?
Old 08-20-2016, 12:52 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Really sounds like the S/C heat exchanger hasn't been purged of all the air IMHO.
Bish
Old 08-20-2016, 01:05 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Intercooler pump cavitation? How big is the air bubble on top of the reservoir, bigger than a teaspoon?
Old 08-20-2016, 02:18 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,240 Posts

I think what you are feeling is bypass valve surging. You say moderate accel and low RPM, look at your boost gauge and see if it says 0-2 psi give or take. You are in a gray area and it is building a small amount of boost and the stock bypass valve isn't very good at relieving pressure in that midrange airflow level, IMO. It will hold boost fine if you floor it and it will vent pressure fine if you are very light or off throttle, but if you are building a little tiny bit of boost at low RPM it will flutter.

If you get 20-25 minutes into your drive and just floor it all the way, does it feel powerful and smooth?

The intercooler cavitation issue is evident under road course conditions, this sounds like a perceived power loss on the street at normal RPMs, but I am not sure you have a power loss, rather a strange drivability characteristic.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:20 PM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

Would installing a Vitesse Controller help in this situation?
Old 08-20-2016, 11:53 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Originally Posted by GSNJ
Would installing a Vitesse Controller help in this situation?
no. that won't help anything except a perception of faster throttle response. it doesn't do anything to make the car any faster.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:10 AM
garychurch
Advanced

Default Got It

Poor-sha...

Thanks for the reply. I have an app and can monitor the IAT. I just haven't done that yet, but I will.

I will be at TPC next week to purge and fill the intercooler. Mike did it once, then I replaced the intercooler radiator and didn't do it a second time. May be the nature of the problem.

I'll let you know if that solves it. I haven't had the Z06 on the track since I left VITR early in the Spring. One problem after another al engine related, some self induced. I am targeting an Audi event at Dominion in mid-september. Hopefully cooler and all problems solved.

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Hi Gary. I had my car seem really low on power one very hot day but it seemed to be that way from the start. It was the day after I was at the track so I thought maybe I broke something. I was about to take the car to the dealer and things improved so I didn't bother. To this day I'm not sure if it was just my imagination, the heat, or some transient issue.

If you want to try logging some things like IAT2 or fuel trims I have one of these you can borrow. https://www.obdsoftware.net/scantools/obdlinkmxwifi. You'll need to get one of the apps but it seems to work pretty well.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:00 PM
WhiteSands
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Are you running OEM wheel and tire sizes?
Old 08-22-2016, 08:44 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

I'll let you know if that solves it. I haven't had the Z06 on the track since I left VITR early in the Spring. One problem after another al engine related, some self induced. I am targeting an Audi event at Dominion in mid-september. Hopefully cooler and all problems solved.[/QUOTE]

Especially since you track it, mind letting us know what these problems have been. And any remedies?

Last edited by DLC7; 08-22-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:46 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by DLC7
I'll let you know if that solves it. I haven't had the Z06 on the track since I left VITR early in the Spring. One problem after another al engine related, some self induced. I am targeting an Audi event at Dominion in mid-september. Hopefully cooler and all problems solved.
Especially since you track it, mind letting us know what these problems have been. And any remedies?

Last edited by DLC7; 08-22-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:05 PM
WhiteSands
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Another question Gary, is this issue repetitive all the time after the 20 min. or does it come and go over a period of time?

I am asking these questions because I had the exact same problem at the track a few weeks ago and the temps were not high. Same symptoms that when I applied light to moderate throttle the engine seemed to bog down (no power), floor the pedal and after a few seconds the engine would go to full torque. Brought the car in the pit shut it down for around 10 min. went back out and same issues. No messages or engine lights were present. Brought the car back in and an hour later took it out again and the problem never reoccurred.

Later in the day I even pushed the oil temp to 285 and car ran smooth. We are really having a problem figuring out what happened.

To add to the confusion, I have tracked the car more than 20 days and several this summer during the heat and this is the first time I have ever had an issue of any sort.

Let us know your outcome.
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Unusual power loss after 20 minutes

Old 08-22-2016, 11:53 PM
veech
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The intercooler pump is probably garbage. I had one fail at 2200 miles and the dealer refused to change it... Said they couldn't duplicate the problem after having the car for a month. Needless to say, i changed out the pump with a zr1 pump and it ran awesome again!
Old 08-23-2016, 11:46 AM
garychurch
Advanced

I got some IATs from the three sensors yesterday, after my surging problems began.

OAT: 92
IAT 1: 95
IAT 2: 130
IAT 3: 210

I was noticing as I drove today in 84 degree weather that the IAT 3 Temps continued to rise and after about 30 minutes hit 180 degrees. I also noticed fluctuations of about 20 degrees up and down as the temps climbed.

I have no idea what is normal range is for the IAT sensors. Can someone give me a clue what would be normal?
Old 08-23-2016, 01:28 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,405 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Can someone explain what IAT3 is as well?

Gary, on the road the couple of times I've looked at IAT2 it's been around 20 degrees above of IAT1 (as I recall). That assumes the car is moving under normal driving. A +35 delta in street driving seems high to me.

I can try to get some comparison data tomorrow but as you know it's cooled off a lot.

Quick Reply: Unusual power loss after 20 minutes