C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

LG MOTORSPORTS Supercharger and Engine cooling Perfected!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 02:12 AM
LSs1Power
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Lou, have you thought about switching the two intercoolers with the oil cooler (so two oil coolers on the side and one larger intercooler in the middle)? I would think that would cool the oil better than 270 as it will add more oil capacity and heat dissipation.

Also would M7 owners be able to add a larger diff and transmission cooler in the back? We have owners here who overheated the diff and transmission on M7 when doing prolonged highspeed runs 160+mph between cities.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:11 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
Lou, have you thought about switching the two intercoolers with the oil cooler (so two oil coolers on the side and one larger intercooler in the middle)? I would think that would cool the oil better than 270 as it will add more oil capacity and heat dissipation.

Also would M7 owners be able to add a larger diff and transmission cooler in the back? We have owners here who overheated the diff and transmission on M7 when doing prolonged highspeed runs 160+mph between cities.
Hi

One of the main problems with the whole system was caused by having the intercooler in the middle pushing 220 degree air into the engine radiator which was the cause of some of the high water temps.

We also removed the OEM oil to water cooler from the engine and replaced it with a Oil to Air cooler.
270 oil temp is not that bad actually. and we are happy with keeping the water down to 223 where we have it.

We kept the OEM diff cooler in place but added a second trans cooler. The Second Trans cooler may be of some help with your high speed runs.
AND for sure we have solved the Supercharger intercooler issue.

Thanks

Lou Gigliotti
Old 09-05-2016, 11:07 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default What if!?

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Hi

One of the main problems with the whole system was caused by having the intercooler in the middle pushing 220 degree air into the engine radiator which was the cause of some of the high water temps.

We also removed the OEM oil to water cooler from the engine and replaced it with a Oil to Air cooler.
270 oil temp is not that bad actually. and we are happy with keeping the water down to 223 where we have it.

We kept the OEM diff cooler in place but added a second trans cooler. The Second Trans cooler may be of some help with your high speed runs.
AND for sure we have solved the Supercharger intercooler issue.

Thanks

Lou Gigliotti
GM's meet the more or less supposed 100 degree threshold with:

1.) Cooler SC

2.) Race gas tune

And that missing A8 link, something like your awesome, but, relatively simple cooling fix.

And GM's putting that in the hands of existing owners one way or another.

An interesting bit of affairs one can't help but wonder about!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 09-05-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:39 PM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

[QUOTE=LG Motorsports;1592991497]
Originally Posted by rsilver

Hi,

Ok back to business and real questions!

Our stage one system does not add any extra weight. WE remove the stock intercooler and replace it with 2 coolers that are just slightly larger than 1/2 of the original cooler for each LG Cooler.
Then we add our LG Super Cool Radiator which is just slightly heavier from the added water capacity.

The main focus was to remove the 220 degree air from in front of the original radiator.

We do not have the before and after specs on the hood and how much it adds to the cooling but from our experience it will be significant.
Since the OEM hood is also Carbon fiber, we felt it necessary to make our LG C7 Hood out of carbon Fiber as well.

If you add our radiator with our fan system just as we did, I think the OEM hood will still allow some air/heat to escape from the louvers but the stock OEM hood was not optimized for extraction.

I will look into making a hood from "S Glass" to reduce the cost later. Our hoods are all "Pre-Preg" carbon which is an aero space grade carbon.

Give us a call and we can discuss your car as the "Stage 1 Test bed"

Thanks for the question

Lou Gigliotti
Thanks for the response Lou & company. I will give you guys a call. I had spoken with Anthony earlier before some of the issues were sorted but got side tracked with a difficult shoulder surgery. Back to you soon.

Last edited by rsilver; 09-05-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:16 AM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I thought that the 2003 Audi RS6 used dual air-water intercoolers. Not sure why this isn't more common. Anyway, is there a thread showing the test results for before/after fluid and air temps?
Old 09-06-2016, 05:36 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Sure!? $

Originally Posted by rwheelz
i thought that the 2003 audi rs6 used dual air-water intercoolers. Not sure why this isn't more common. Anyway, is there a thread showing the test results for before/after fluid and air temps?
(Money!)

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 09-06-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:47 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,839 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by spinkick
Do you think GM may have not done this due to crash test needs or some other budget concerns?
Lou's likely going to argue with me, but: GM won't do this on a Z06 because of FE concerns. Like it or not, they have a target they have to hit with the Z06, otherwise we'll get nailed with (higher) GG taxes across both the auto and manual.

What LG and others that cook up similar solutions have done is create 2 large cups, essentially, where air is coming into the front end of the car and slamming into the wheel well. The air will escape the wheel well, but not nearly as smoothly as it would if it had just been allowed to go around the car.

Aero drag at speed will be increased with this solution. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it. And with that increased aero drag will come a decrease in FE.

"Who cares about FE in a 650HP sports car?!" GM has to. That's who. I don't expect a loss in FE for every-day/real-world driving. But if the car were put through the official testing procedure, I'd bet a paycheck that the car would see a 1-2MPG drop. And that would be enough to bump the GG tax on the auto, and have one levied on the manual.
The following 2 users liked this post by jvp:
CFHay (09-06-2016), truth.b (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 07:54 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 785 Likes on 457 Posts

Has this "aero drag" been proven?

Originally Posted by jvp
Lou's likely going to argue with me, but: GM won't do this on a Z06 because of FE concerns. Like it or not, they have a target they have to hit with the Z06, otherwise we'll get nailed with (higher) GG taxes across both the auto and manual.

What LG and others that cook up similar solutions have done is create 2 large cups, essentially, where air is coming into the front end of the car and slamming into the wheel well. The air will escape the wheel well, but not nearly as smoothly as it would if it had just been allowed to go around the car.

Aero drag at speed will be increased with this solution. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it. And with that increased aero drag will come a decrease in FE.

"Who cares about FE in a 650HP sports car?!" GM has to. That's who. I don't expect a loss in FE for every-day/real-world driving. But if the car were put through the official testing procedure, I'd bet a paycheck that the car would see a 1-2MPG drop. And that would be enough to bump the GG tax on the auto, and have one levied on the manual.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:55 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by h3mpking
The response looks like your smart *** son wrote it as he is famous for doing on social platforms such as Facebook, etc. I understand your past and think that is commendable, but just because you did something x amount of years ago, does NOT mean that is valid today or even relevant in the conversation. At some point, you have to make your mark in the present and stop hanging on to the past. Don't let my 1 year on this forum fool you on my knowledge of these cars or aftermarket companies. I enjoy ya'lls products, but ya'lls attitude this past year towards the entire industry is quit snobbish and very amateur in my opinion. If your product is what you say it is, then let the product prove it and let the consumers make that choice after they are able to make an analysis of what is on the market and best fits their needs.
You said in your first post on this thread you were "fooled once." How were you "fooled"?
Old 09-06-2016, 10:15 AM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by jvp

I guess that they should not build a car that promises X & Y if they are not going to deliver X & Y.

But lets address the drag. The air entering the center grill goes into the engine bay and causes more drag than you could imagine. In the wind tunnel with our Corvette race car, the car with no hood opening had more drag because the only place for the air to exit was around the engine. That area does not flow like a "Ported Cylinder Head", it flows like a rock filled river with white water and turbulence everywhere.
(did you like the "rock filled river analogy?)

Now the air does not "Slam into the wheel well. in fact the air flows pretty well with the front lips on the leading edge of the wheel well and the Aero tested wheel well louvers that we install.

Normally the air around the tire and suspension is very turbulent and in fact the tire "Squishes" the air and pushes it forward so our louvers took that into consideration and diverted our air around that area. (Ouch, my back hurts from me patting myself on it)

keep in mind that other manufacturers regularly have front turbo intercooler openings on each side of the front fascia and they overcome any issues that might attract some BUREAUCRAT in the GOVERNMENT who thinks he is a genius and finds a new regulation to stop commerce. BUT I digress...

If you have seen the new "Spy Photos, GM is already including 2 side ducts for coolers of some sort.

It takes X amount of air to cool the engine and other systems. Reducing the opening sq in total so the "LeMans" GT race car can get down the Long straight is not the way "Tech Transfer" is supposed to work, Killing the cooling efficiency to accommodate what the race car wants is "Reverse Tech Transfer".

So, in summary, if they remove the entire grill opening and allow ZERO air to enter the engine area, they will also reduce Drag further.

But we all know that there is a balance. And the balance lends itself to first cool the car. OR put a 4 cylinder in the car to eliminate the GG tax.

I hope that was not too harsh. facts don't argue, they convince. SPY PHOTOS was the key word

Thanks and please ask any questions that you want I will ALWAYS take every question seriously. really, thanks,.

Lou Gigliotti
LG Motorsports
972-429-1963
CALL TODAY!!!
Old 09-06-2016, 10:39 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
The air entering the center grill goes into the engine bay and causes more drag than you could imagine.
That doesn't matter with this, specific discussion Lou. The FE tests have already taken that drag into consideration.

Now the air does not "Slam into the wheel well. in fact the air flows pretty well with the front lips on the leading edge of the wheel well and the Aero tested wheel well louvers that we install.
At speed, it absolutely will slam into the wheel well. There's nothing aerodynamic about the inside of the wheel well, specially with that spinning tire in the way.

Normally the air around the tire and suspension is very turbulent and in fact the tire "Squishes" the air and pushes it forward so our louvers took that into consideration and diverted our air around that area.
But you're adding significantly more air to the wheel wells than what was expected/tested. I'm not saying that it's a bad idea, just one that is going to create extra aero drag and cause a loss in highway FE as tested. It's why GM can't just change the Z06 to have those intakes like that.

keep in mind that other manufacturers regularly have front turbo intercooler openings on each side of the front fascia and they overcome any issues that might attract some BUREAUCRAT in the GOVERNMENT who thinks he is a genius and finds a new regulation to stop commerce.
Completely irrelevant to this discussion. But please keep trying to divert attention away if you like.

If you have seen the new "Spy Photos, GM is already including 2 side ducts for coolers of some sort.
So? It won't be for a Z06. It'll be for some other model that will have to undergo its own FE testing.

(And that was my point if you read my previous post carefully enough).

So, in summary, if they remove the entire grill opening and allow ZERO air to enter the engine area, they will also reduce Drag further.
Again: completely irrelevant to my point.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:00 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

JVP, any aero mods that didn't come from GM effect the FE, along with tons of other mods that adjust the fueling and tuning, yet people don't get hung up on it. I don't see why this is an issue for this, yet not the thousands of other mods.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:08 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Unreal
JVP, any aero mods that didn't come from GM effect the FE
My OP in this thread was answering someone that asked "why wouldn't GM do this for the Z06?" That's all.

Carry on.
The following users liked this post:
truth.b (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 11:30 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
My OP in this thread was answering someone that asked "why wouldn't GM do this for the Z06?" That's all.

Carry on.
I don't understand your sniping at LG Motorsports. They have marketed a solution for the cooling issues. They are not forcing anyone to buy it yet you like to dissect and attack their posts. I have to give them and other companies credit for offering up solutions after GM sat on their butts for 2 years and did absolutely nothing until now.

Last edited by b4i4getit; 09-06-2016 at 11:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LG Motorsports (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 11:46 AM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by jvp

Carry on.
That is not why GM did not solve this issue. They built the Corvette to help the LeMans car, not the street car.

They could care less what they passed out to the public as long as it went to the grocery store, looked like a Corvette and passed the Government tests.

Now they have no choice but to fix it or get sued.

CARRY ON

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 09-06-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:04 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by jvp
That doesn't matter with this, specific discussion Lou. The FE tests have already taken that drag into consideration.

At speed, it absolutely will slam into the wheel well. There's nothing aerodynamic about the inside of the wheel well, specially with that spinning tire in the way.

But you're adding significantly more air to the wheel wells than what was expected/tested. I'm not saying that it's a bad idea, just one that is going to create extra aero drag and cause a loss in highway FE as tested. It's why GM can't just change the Z06 to have those intakes like that.

Completely irrelevant to this discussion. But please keep trying to divert attention away if you like.

So? It won't be for a Z06. It'll be for some other model that will have to undergo its own FE testing.

(And that was my point if you read my previous post carefully enough).

Again: completely irrelevant to my point.
Wow, Nothing is relevant ?

You said, "At speed, it absolutely will slam into the wheel well. There's nothing aerodynamic about the inside of the wheel well, specially with that spinning tire in the way."

The relevant choice is wether to push the turbulent air into the engine compartment OR into a wheel well. The Engine compartment is NOT MORE aerodynamic than the wheel well and in fact has more twists and turns to get the air out than a wheel well with a lip on the leading edge that was designed to pull air out of the wheel area.

NOTE: the spy photos were exactly for the Z06 with two side openings. not some future model.

notice the high pressure (Red) in front of the wheel well then the low pressure SUCKING air out of the wheel well.

ALSO notice the hood extractor with a red high pressure in front of the opening causing the low pressure area removing air that has entered from the grill area. On the race car, NO AIR is allowed into the engine compartment because of the inefficient air flow and turbulence. Where on the street car only about 20% of the air entering leaves through the louvers, the rest tumbles around the engine compartment. j

In fact, putting the air into the wheel well will probably produce less drag, especially with our LG Hood because we are sucking most of the engine compartment air out the hood REDUCING drag. The race car did not pump just 20% of the grill air to the hood, they ducted 100% of the air to the hood. Our hood does around 90% which is a good guess until we get to the wind tunnel.

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 09-06-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:50 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 785 Likes on 457 Posts

Looks good Lou!

Get notified of new replies

To LG MOTORSPORTS Supercharger and Engine cooling Perfected!

Old 09-08-2016, 08:42 AM
BladeZ06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

The engineering on this solution looks good. I tend to be a skeptical conservative person when it comes to the aftermarket. (I am looking at all you catchcan and "ported" throttle bodies vendors.) Maybe to many years of modding hi-po cars hearing the same old baseless stories.

If my car was a track rat spending tons of time on a track I personally would do this to my car. I would love to see some wind tunnel time but the setup looks sound.

I do have a quick question. If you are bypassing most air out of the engine bay how is underhood cooling accomplished? My only worry would be hot spots with the reduced airflow.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:17 AM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by BladeZ06
The engineering on this solution looks good. I tend to be a skeptical conservative person when it comes to the aftermarket. (I am looking at all you catchcan and "ported" throttle bodies vendors.) Maybe to many years of modding hi-po cars hearing the same old baseless stories.

If my car was a track rat spending tons of time on a track I personally would do this to my car. I would love to see some wind tunnel time but the setup looks sound.

I do have a quick question. If you are bypassing most air out of the engine bay how is underhood cooling accomplished? My only worry would be hot spots with the reduced airflow.
Blade Z06, you are right to suspect about 1/2 of the aftermarket suppliers. Some come and go.

There could never be a totally sealed engine compartment. The idea is to remove as much air pressure as possible but that does not remove air flow to accomplish the under hood cooling.

620 hp makes heat and in some cased undesirable heat that the OEM systems can not remove when driven in anger.

We used my 45 years of racing experience plus the time I already spent in the wind tunnel to arrive where we did.

The main idea is to keep high air flow through all the coolers without packing that air under the hood. When air packs up, the flow slows down.

Hope that helps

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti
Old 09-08-2016, 09:27 AM
LG Motorsports

LG Motorsports in the GM Wind Tunnel,

End of the testing for 8 hours, the "Smoke Wand" was brought out and used at about 45 miles per hour wind speed.

IT does show the path the air takes that enters the grill opening. Plenty of air coming out of our hood louvers.

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 09-08-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Quick Reply: LG MOTORSPORTS Supercharger and Engine cooling Perfected!