Why do C7 Z06's pull to the right violently when breaking loose...WTF - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do C7 Z06's pull to the right violently when breaking loose...WTF

Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do C7 Z06's pull to the right violently when breaking loose...WTF

Old 10-28-2016, 07:11 PM
  #1  
RussC243
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Posts: 103
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default Why do C7 Z06's pull to the right violently when breaking loose...WTF

Saw lots of videos/threads of people wrecking their new z06's so I am being careful. After my 500 mile oil change I got on it about 10 times today in 1, 2 and 3rd. Never rung it out as I will hold off on that untill about 2k miles.

In 1st the wheels break loose and the car just slides along straight as expected. In 2nd and 3rd, it violently jerks to the right. I let off it right way and the car jerks straight again.

My old supercharged c4 broke loose in 1st, 2nd and 3rd and I could floor it as much as I wanted and it continued to track straight while the wheels were slipping. It would get squirrelly at the top of 3rd at 100 mph but I could just correct with steering and stay on it. Done it a million times with the c4.

The c7 is asking to wrap itself around a tree. I am in touring mode it that matters

This is not right!!

Edit: I was on an empty private road.

Last edited by RussC243; 10-28-2016 at 07:21 PM.
RussC243 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to RussC243 For This Useful Post:
Kimonord (02-21-2017)
Old 10-28-2016, 07:14 PM
  #2  
spearfish25
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Location: Naples FL
Posts: 2,963
Thanked 597 Times in 418 Posts
Default

Check your alignment. Mine doesn't do that.
spearfish25 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to spearfish25 For This Useful Post:
Flyingscot (11-01-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 07:27 PM
  #3  
DAVE396LT1
CF Senior Member
 
DAVE396LT1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2003
Location: Redmond WA
Posts: 7,217
Thanked 1,365 Times in 910 Posts
Default

The Snap Oversteer Monster will be along shortly to blame rear caster. Maybe it's even true - but do people who get that "fixed" no long have to worry about the rear end coming around? I'd pay for an alignment if I believed it made the car more stable in street scenarios (I have had no issues on the track, so maybe my car is randomly set up properly from the factory).

Why would the gear make a difference as to why the rear end steps out? Any theories? That part strikes me as odd, and I can't say I've experienced the same.

Last edited by DAVE396LT1; 10-28-2016 at 07:28 PM.
DAVE396LT1 is offline  
Old 10-28-2016, 07:34 PM
  #4  
RussC243
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Posts: 103
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1 View Post
The Snap Oversteer Monster will be along shortly to blame rear caster. Maybe it's even true - but do people who get that "fixed" no long have to worry about the rear end coming around? I'd pay for an alignment if I believed it made the car more stable in street scenarios (I have had no issues on the track, so maybe my car is randomly set up properly from the factory).

Why would the gear make a difference as to why the rear end steps out? Any theories? That part strikes me as odd, and I can't say I've experienced the same.
I did have a theory on that actually. In 1st, once they break loose they both spin so much that there is no traction on either wheel. In 2nd and third one wheel is still gripping.... With the c4 I always felt the wheels slipping together. Maybe the electronic diff has something to do with it.
RussC243 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to RussC243 For This Useful Post:
pdiddy972 (02-11-2017)
Old 10-28-2016, 08:09 PM
  #5  
Niemienator
CF Senior Member
 
Niemienator's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2016
Location: TX
Posts: 294
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RussC243 View Post
I did have a theory on that actually. In 1st, once they break loose they both spin so much that there is no traction on either wheel. In 2nd and third one wheel is still gripping.... With the c4 I always felt the wheels slipping together. Maybe the electronic diff has something to do with it.
I would agree with this theory. My ZL1 did the same but always tended to turn or float to the left under hard throttle with wheel spin.

Regardless, I strongly recommend you get a good feel for the split second you have before the car goes to potentially violently out of control - the other lane, ditch.... Shift, back out of it and don't end on YouTube.
Niemienator is offline  
Old 10-28-2016, 09:09 PM
  #6  
Bad Dad
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Bad Dad's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2014
Location: Naples Florida
Posts: 655
Thanked 63 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RussC243 View Post
Saw lots of videos/threads of people wrecking their new z06's so I am being careful. After my 500 mile oil change I got on it about 10 times today in 1, 2 and 3rd. Never rung it out as I will hold off on that untill about 2k miles.

In 1st the wheels break loose and the car just slides along straight as expected. In 2nd and 3rd, it violently jerks to the right. I let off it right way and the car jerks straight again.

My old supercharged c4 broke loose in 1st, 2nd and 3rd and I could floor it as much as I wanted and it continued to track straight while the wheels were slipping. It would get squirrelly at the top of 3rd at 100 mph but I could just correct with steering and stay on it. Done it a million times with the c4.

The c7 is asking to wrap itself around a tree. I am in touring mode it that matters

This is not right!!

Edit: I was on an empty private road.
Maybe lack of control ?
Bad Dad is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Bad Dad For This Useful Post:
BigBird440 (02-19-2017)
Old 10-28-2016, 09:10 PM
  #7  
thebishman
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Overland Park KS
Posts: 2,488
Thanked 294 Times in 216 Posts
Default

Alignment check ASAP
thebishman is offline  
Old 10-28-2016, 09:22 PM
  #8  
jaden61
CF Senior Member
 
jaden61's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: Fair Oaks, California
Posts: 2,089
Thanked 299 Times in 217 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by Bad Dad View Post
Maybe lack of control ?
Had a little scare with mine a 2 weeks ago. Slight throttle input at the same time I hit the hydroplane puddle at 65mph on the freeway. All of the sudden looking left looking at center wall, eased it back with a quick whip and sliding 2 lanes toward the rear wheels of the 18 wheeler's trailer, to the fishtail correction finally. No skill, just pure luck. No poop, very happy today. used weather mode on the rest of ride home.

Last edited by jaden61; 10-28-2016 at 09:25 PM.
jaden61 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to jaden61 For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad (12-19-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 10:07 PM
  #9  
feeder82
CF Senior Member
 
feeder82's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Mazomanie Wisconsin
Posts: 1,594
Thanks: 0
Thanked 117 Times in 105 Posts
Default

your c4 didn't have over 500 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheels
feeder82 is online now  
Old 10-28-2016, 10:55 PM
  #10  
gatti-man
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: round rock tx
Posts: 2,444
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Default

My c6z has 550 at the wheels NA and it doesn't slide right. Powers right through wheel spin straight ahead. Non run flat super sports, stock suspension.
gatti-man is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to gatti-man For This Useful Post:
RussC243 (10-30-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 11:21 PM
  #11  
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor
 
Bill Dearborn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 1999
Location: Charlotte (formerly Endicott, NY) NC
Posts: 32,000
Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,958 Posts
Default

When both rear wheels are spinning they have no lateral traction and the back end of the car will go in whatever direction the physics of the surface dictate. If you are on a crowned surface with the car on the right side of the crown the back end will go right, if you are on the left side it will go left. There can be other things on the surface or part of it that can affect which way the back end goes.

If you are on a low grip surface it can be possible to have the back end swing back and forth like a pendulum as the driver countersteers.

Bill
Bill Dearborn is offline  
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Dearborn For This Useful Post:
360Lemans (11-04-2016), BigBird440 (02-19-2017), BWFitz (08-08-2017), furiousox (04-05-2018), Harbgrogan (10-17-2018), Jus Cruisin (02-14-2017), MassGT (02-18-2017), MindBend (10-29-2016), MP&RPZ06 (05-22-2018), RGT (08-07-2017), SterlingDrive (09-28-2017)
Old 10-29-2016, 12:05 AM
  #12  
Greg00Coupe
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Canton Ohio
Posts: 5,360
Thanked 257 Times in 198 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn View Post
When both rear wheels are spinning they have no lateral traction and the back end of the car will go in whatever direction the physics of the surface dictate. If you are on a crowned surface with the car on the right side of the crown the back end will go right, if you are on the left side it will go left. There can be other things on the surface or part of it that can affect which way the back end goes.

If you are on a low grip surface it can be possible to have the back end swing back and forth like a pendulum as the driver countersteers.

Bill
I'd agree with this. However I've been on numerous surfaces and it always breaks right. I've learned to expect it. If it broke left I'd probably crash or keel over due to shock
Greg00Coupe is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg00Coupe For This Useful Post:
RussC243 (10-30-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 03:37 AM
  #13  
RussC243
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Posts: 103
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Lots of great answers. Thanks! Will study up on how alignment comes into play. I always only considered alignment when my daily drivers would not track straight hands off the wheel or the tire guy talks me into a badly needed alignment.
Don't really care to use more than about 200hp 99.9% of the time. Got the z over the base because I like fine machines but I do like to understand them and have them set up right. Sunny today...can't wait to try out the stack of new microfiber towels and wax.
RussC243 is offline  
Old 10-29-2016, 07:00 AM
  #14  
marc0779
CF Senior Member
 
marc0779's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2014
Location: Naples
Posts: 215
Thanked 53 Times in 26 Posts
Default Rear alighnment

If you only drive the car on the street have your rear camber adjusted to zero or as close as you can get it will more than double your traction in a straight line and you will double the life of the tires.

Last edited by marc0779; 10-29-2016 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Missing words
marc0779 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marc0779 For This Useful Post:
Harbgrogan (10-17-2018), SterlingDrive (12-07-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 08:32 AM
  #15  
MindBend
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: PA
Posts: 356
Thanked 42 Times in 34 Posts
Default

It happens even on $200K AMG's when drivers run out of talent.
I was leaving a local cars and coffee event couple weeks ago and some dude captured this as I was leaving. I left gentlemanly, in order to try to troll in the GT to follow me for some "fun", but he turned the other way... check out the results.

Sorry....the stupid YouTube embed function REFUSES to work.
MindBend is offline  
Old 10-29-2016, 08:33 AM
  #16  
MindBend
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: PA
Posts: 356
Thanked 42 Times in 34 Posts
Default

As a follow-up, this is how the Z crowd rolls (or should!)

MindBend is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MindBend For This Useful Post:
BigBird440 (02-19-2017), C5 Hardtop (12-21-2016), cheapthrills (04-16-2018), dmaxx3500 (12-07-2016), snow (04-04-2018), WildRide357 (02-19-2017)
Old 10-29-2016, 10:37 PM
  #17  
bondo55
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2016
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I can relate. I can run the car hard at roadcourse trackdays with no issues at all.

But when on the getting on a freeway on ramp, the e-diff seams to hunt for traction between the left and right tires at times on uneven surfaces. A very different feel vs a normal "posi" limited slip diff.
bondo55 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to bondo55 For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad (12-19-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 11:06 PM
  #18  
rikhek
CF Senior Member
 
rikhek's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Location: Tulsa Oklahoma
Posts: 3,851
Thanked 755 Times in 351 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
Alignment check ASAP
Originally Posted by RussC243 View Post
Lots of great answers. Thanks! Will study up on how alignment comes into play. I always only considered alignment when my daily drivers would not track straight hands off the wheel or the tire guy talks me into a badly needed alignment.
Don't really care to use more than about 200hp 99.9% of the time. Got the z over the base because I like fine machines but I do like to understand them and have them set up right. Sunny today...can't wait to try out the stack of new microfiber towels and wax.
Originally Posted by marc0779 View Post
If you only drive the car on the street have your rear camber adjusted to zero or as close as you can get it will more than double your traction in a straight line and you will double the life of the tires.
DAVE396LT1, great idea isn't it?
rikhek is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to rikhek For This Useful Post:
Plstxmd (04-16-2018)
Old 10-30-2016, 01:30 AM
  #19  
tail_lights
CF Senior Member
 
tail_lights's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: SE TEX
Posts: 10,492
Thanked 202 Times in 175 Posts
Default

I can relate. My first Z ended up in a ditch I am more scared of this car than my old C5 that was making over 700 RWHP and I only ran Bridgestone all season 275 tires on that At least when that car spun it would track straight. Not sure if it is an alignment or a E-LSD issue but there is an issue for sure.
tail_lights is offline  
Old 10-30-2016, 01:58 AM
  #20  
omar510
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2013
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

In my opinion it's because in 1st gear you have no traction all due to torque multiplication. 2nd and 3rd the gear tires start to gain traction due to less torque multiplication. This coupled with the fact that the tires can now spin up to 93 mph in 2nd and 124 mph in 3rd so whatever instantaneous traction the tires do catch thrust the car harder and further. With one tire gripping it makes the car yaw to either side.
omar510 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to omar510 For This Useful Post:
tomtoro (04-14-2018)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do C7 Z06's pull to the right violently when breaking loose...WTF


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: