C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7.R Edition bent rim!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 07:13 AM
vetteheadracer
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 26 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default C7.R Edition bent rim!

Needed new tires for my C7.R Edition as the original set of Cups had 3 track days and over 6,000 miles on them in total. While at the tire fitters they alerted me to the fact that the passenger side rear rim was bent!
On the wheel balancer you could see a slight hop as the wheel spun. There was no visible damage to the inside of the rim and I know hand on heart I've not dropped the car off track or hit any herbs etc.

Every since I bought the car back in March 2016 my wife when in the car said she could feel a slight vibration on her side at the rear (her family business is wheels and tires in the UK so I guess she is probably more sensitive to these things than most). I never noticed it from the drivers seat or because it was always there dismissed it as "how the car was".

Anyway long story short, took the car back to Castriota Chevrolet and they got the wheel replaced under warranty (I had to pay a $100 excess) and it is amazing how much smoother the car now drives, with the brand new Pilot Sports and the new rim on it.

New rim and new Pilot Sport

Anyone else had a bent rim from the factory?
Old 01-25-2017, 07:15 AM
DP RS
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteheadracer
Needed new tires for my C7.R Edition as the original set of Cups had 3 track days and over 6,000 miles on them in total. While at the tire fitters they alerted me to the fact that the passenger side rear rim was bent!
On the wheel balancer you could see a slight hop as the wheel spun. There was no visible damage to the inside of the rim and I know hand on heart I've not dropped the car off track or hit any herbs etc.

Every since I bought the car back in March 2016 my wife when in the car said she could feel a slight vibration on her side at the rear (her family business is wheels and tires in the UK so I guess she is probably more sensitive to these things than most). I never noticed it from the drivers seat or because it was always there dismissed it as "how the car was".

Anyway long story short, took the car back to Castriota Chevrolet and they got the wheel replaced under warranty (I had to pay a $100 excess) and it is amazing how much smoother the car now drives, with the brand new Pilot Sports and the new rim on it.

New rim and new Pilot Sport

Anyone else had a bent rim from the factory?
Are you sure hitting the herb wasn't the cause of your bent rim?
Old 01-25-2017, 08:47 AM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by DP RS
I would think that the ride would be smoooth. But getting the cheetos stains off the seats is a bear...

Glad GM took care of you, love those Jake center caps!
Old 01-25-2017, 09:08 AM
golgi
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I also had a bent rim, but it was the dealer that pointed it out to me when I brought it in for the 500 mile oil change. The outer lip was just slightly out of round. After seeing it, I was shocked I didn't notice it myself.

Dealer replaced under warranty, as well. Didn't really notice a driveability improvement though.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:15 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,780 Likes on 3,188 Posts

Originally Posted by golgi
I also had a bent rim, but it was the dealer that pointed it out to me when I brought it in for the 500 mile oil change. The outer lip was just slightly out of round. After seeing it, I was shocked I didn't notice it myself.

Dealer replaced under warranty, as well. Didn't really notice a driveability improvement though.
ah... the dowsing of low profile tire and lightweight wheels.

you can't win this battle. It's a crap shoot.

enough switching to non rf doesn't help as sidewall flexes more and counteracts any benefit of the solid sidewall of rf both ways rims will bend on the potholes.

makes me rethink the wheel/tire insurance I didn't opt for?

anyone have any experiences with that benefitting them with a situation like the OP's? Or do they beat you anyway unless it happens on the 2nd Monday of December in a leap year?
Old 01-25-2017, 10:57 AM
Rd16rr
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
ah... the dowsing of low profile tire and lightweight wheels.

you can't win this battle. It's a crap shoot.

enough switching to non rf doesn't help as sidewall flexes more and counteracts any benefit of the solid sidewall of rf both ways rims will bend on the potholes.

makes me rethink the wheel/tire insurance I didn't opt for?

anyone have any experiences with that benefitting them with a situation like the OP's? Or do they beat you anyway unless it happens on the 2nd Monday of December in a leap year?
...i have a Tire & Wheel protection pkg i bought for my GolfR Volkswagen - 1 rim has already paid for the pkg - however, most companies will refuse replacement if the wheel still holds air - not a great concept - i had a huge dent on the rim, which would surely make you cringe, and not want to drive the car for fear of a blow out - my tire shop insured that the rim would not hold air, and it was replaced

Last edited by Rd16rr; 01-25-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:31 AM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

One of the most heartbreaking discoveries I made when changing the wheel/tires on my Z06/Z07 was to find my "Made in USA/American Icon" had wheels made in China. IMHO, I'm surprised that so few bent/out of round wheels are found. I did see a post saying, as of very late 2015 MY, the wheels were sourced from Mexico opposed to China. I know most "American" made cars source parts and assemblies outside the US but please, our icon/halo? Well, maybe our new President will have some influence on these practices.
The following users liked this post:
23/C8Z (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 12:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,963 Likes on 5,349 Posts

Originally Posted by foreverfuelie
One of the most heartbreaking discoveries I made when changing the wheel/tires on my Z06/Z07 was to find my "Made in USA/American Icon" had wheels made in China. IMHO, I'm surprised that so few bent/out of round wheels are found. I did see a post saying, as of very late 2015 MY, the wheels were sourced from Mexico opposed to China. I know most "American" made cars source parts and assemblies outside the US but please, our icon/halo? Well, maybe our new President will have some influence on these practices.
You do know that making a wheel using defined procedures and policies makes production quality independent of the location where the wheel was made.

Bill
Old 01-25-2017, 01:15 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 91 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Did have a bent rim on my C7R - mine was right rear rim and was found when I decided to replace the cup tires. The dealer took care of replacing the rim, and I do have tire/rim package. Ya'll need to remember any pothole you hit, etc. especially if you have roads like here in Repuklik of Maryland will "probably" result in a bent rim and for sure throw your alignment off.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:17 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by DP RS
The stuff is now legal in many states. Definitely could have cased the op to bend his rim.

Get notified of new replies

To C7.R Edition bent rim!

Quick Reply: C7.R Edition bent rim!