C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tony Mamo Ported TB installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 11:46 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 907 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by MRHTRD
I have an aFe cold air box, the throttle body and corsa x pipe and axle back exhaust. I also have the Vitesse throttle body controller installed and an MGW shifter on my 2016 Z06 Z07.
Guys,

I appreciate all the positive comments etc....thank you

Regarding the issue with MRHTRD, I think its likely the vitesse thats creating or should I say compounding things coupled with all the other mods (quite a few on this car) where the computer finally says "Uncle". Now the Vitesse controller is quickly opening a far more efficient TB that's moving alot of air and I think its just going to be an issue unless you can address this in the tune (or just address the light function in the tune).

I suspect without the Vitesse it would work OK and at the end of the day having the better flowing TB is going to make big changes in your airflow and your actual power output where the Vitesse does none of that....it just plays with the opening speed of the TB....the volumetric efficiency and the output of the engine hasn't changed a bit which is not the case with the ported TB.....that gives you the extra response and a bunch more power and torque from the real improvements in actual airflow.....your engine is moving more air with a ported TB bolted to it.

I would try deleting the Vitesse from the equation and see how that goes.....its the first thing I would try (with the exception of disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and seeing what happens after).

I could port something less aggressive but I think the best play is to tune it out or ditch the Vitesse and get the most gains in airflow from the TB swap

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com
The following users liked this post:
MRHTRD (06-21-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 01:09 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Seems NyVetteguy007 is my unluckiest customer....LOL

The first TB I sent him was damaged in shipping....USPS dropped the package and it cracked the extended plastic housing area where the wire harness plugged into (in spite of really good packing in the box....those who have received one of my units can vouch for how well I pack them). So I sent him a replacement unit right away and for whatever reason he is dealing with this idle hunting issue which is a first with approaching a couple of hundred units out in the field.

Anyway as the saying goes, Im hoping three is the charm! Working on his 3rd unit this week. Im not sure what other mods or conditions might have created the idle hunting he is experiencing (possibly even a bad TB), but hopefully we get it right this time!

Regards,
Tony
UPDATE

Third time is a charm!

Received the TB this morning and installed it...no idle issues and holy crap..what a difference in throttle response...definitely a worth while..killer mod

Loving it and can't wait to drive it more
Old 06-17-2017, 01:50 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,838 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007
UPDATE

Third time is a charm!

Received the TB this morning and installed it...no idle issues and holy crap..what a difference in throttle response...definitely a worth while..killer mod

Loving it and can't wait to drive it more
Can you describe what the "hunting" for idle feels like? I've noticed with mine that when I rev it sometimes there is a feeling like a stutter or a dead spot and I'm wondering if that's the same thing that you experienced. I put Tony's TB on the car right when I got it last month, but due to travel and bad weather I really haven't had the chance to drive it much. In my limited experience with the car, however, I've noticed that issue with the idle so I'm wondering if maybe I got a bad TB like you did.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:33 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BMadden
Can you describe what the "hunting" for idle feels like? I've noticed with mine that when I rev it sometimes there is a feeling like a stutter or a dead spot and I'm wondering if that's the same thing that you experienced. I put Tony's TB on the car right when I got it last month, but due to travel and bad weather I really haven't had the chance to drive it much. In my limited experience with the car, however, I've noticed that issue with the idle so I'm wondering if maybe I got a bad TB like you did.
Doesn't sound like you have an issue...when I say "hunting" it was literally going from 500-700 rpms up and down, up and down...you would notice, in my case it was probably a defective TB...

Sounds like what you have when you rev is normal, you mean just sitting there and hitting the throttle?
Old 06-17-2017, 03:08 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,838 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007
Doesn't sound like you have an issue...when I say "hunting" it was literally going from 500-700 rpms up and down, up and down...you would notice, in my case it was probably a defective TB...

Sounds like what you have when you rev is normal, you mean just sitting there and hitting the throttle?
Yes, when revving it with the trans in park it seems to stutter sometimes so I thought maybe that was what you were talking about. Mine doesn't go up and down the way yours was doing, though, so it's probably not an issue after all. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:43 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by BMadden
Yes, when revving it with the trans in park it seems to stutter sometimes so I thought maybe that was what you were talking about. Mine doesn't go up and down the way yours was doing, though, so it's probably not an issue after all. Thanks for the explanation.
That's whats left of the OEM issues and it likely only happens when you goose the throttle harder with no load (free rev). Put your stock unit on there and see how much worse that stumble becomes!

In real world applications and driving around the ported TB eliminates most of the annoying stumble the OEM TB is plagued with and the tip in response and power and torque are enhanced significantly.

Mr. NyvVetteguy.....I'm very pleased the the new TB I sent you cured the idle hunting issue!!. Im actually going to try that TB on a local C7Z and see if I get the same issue. Never had one hunt for idle before....if that happens again Im going to toss it in the trash and chalk it up to a bad unit which would be the first one I have received (and I have purchased hundreds of OEM new throttle bodies). Should be an interesting test

Last thing I thought I would address is letting you guys know the GM supply is completely exhausted. They are changing vendors and changing part numbers and I don't know when there will be availability again and whether they will increase the price (due to the high demand they probably never counted on).

Not sure whats happening. I have started a back order list which will be handled on a first come first serve basis so when I finally do get inventory again I will start shipping to the guys that committed earlier (older orders) but I have no idea when the next wave of TB's will actually arrive.

This is a total disaster on this end as it creates alot of extra emails and PM's sorting all this out and I will be playing catch up for a very long time if GM takes many weeks (or months) to start shipping the new units. I really hope this gets resolved soon!

Regards,
Tony
Old 06-18-2017, 11:14 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

That's whats left of the OEM issues and it likely only happens when you goose the throttle harder with no load (free rev). Put your stock unit on there and see how much worse that stumble becomes!

In real world applications and driving around the ported TB eliminates most of the annoying stumble the OEM TB is plagued with and the tip in response and power and torque are enhanced significantly.

Mr. NyvVetteguy.....I'm very pleased the the new TB I sent you cured the idle hunting issue!!. Im actually going to try that TB on a local C7Z and see if I get the same issue. Never had one hunt for idle before....if that happens again Im going to toss it in the trash and chalk it up to a bad unit which would be the first one I have received (and I have purchased hundreds of OEM new throttle bodies). Should be an interesting test

Last thing I thought I would address is letting you guys know the GM supply is completely exhausted. They are changing vendors and changing part numbers and I don't know when there will be availability again and whether they will increase the price (due to the high demand they probably never counted on).

Not sure whats happening. I have started a back order list which will be handled on a first come first serve basis so when I finally do get inventory again I will start shipping to the guys that committed earlier (older orders) but I have no idea when the next wave of TB's will actually arrive.

This is a total disaster on this end as it creates alot of extra emails and PM's sorting all this out and I will be playing catch up for a very long time if GM takes many weeks (or months) to start shipping the new units. I really hope this gets resolved soon!

Regards,
Tony
Thanks again Tony!

I can't say enough how this is truly game changing as far as throttle response...great stuff

It will be interesting to see if the TB I sent back to you has the idle hunting problem on another car...

As for the supply issues, happy I have mine now
Old 06-19-2017, 04:00 AM
Seannyc
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

HEY tony I'm intrested in the ported Tb but I did read u port different on the lt1 vs. LT4 supercharger I have a stingray putting the LT4 blower on it so which port will u think is better to go with
Old 06-19-2017, 05:30 PM
bd377103
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

I got my TB today installed on my 17' Z06. I feel like 90% of the hesitation between 1k-2.5k rpm and light throttle is gone. I did about 5 WOT runs up to 100mph and no CEL with BMS filter + TB.

Last edited by bd377103; 06-19-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:53 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bd377103
I got my TB today installed on my 17' Z06. I feel like 90% of the hesitation between 1k-2.5k rpm and light throttle is gone. I did about 5 WOT runs up to 100mph and no CEL with BMS filter + TB.
Great stuff
Old 06-19-2017, 06:47 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Seannyc
HEY tony I'm intrested in the ported Tb but I did read u port different on the lt1 vs. LT4 supercharger I have a stingray putting the LT4 blower on it so which port will u think is better to go with
I would roll with the more aggressive port job I do for the LT4 applications (cause if that works you see the most benefit from the porting work).

Worst case, in the event you have an issue I swap it for something milder like the LT1 applications get....no big deal.

Originally Posted by bd377103
That's about right....most guys say the same thing....some say its gone completely....others like yourself that say its significantly improved and almost all gone....its really a matter of how perceptive you are and I think some of it is in the varying sensors on the car and the slight differences from one TB to the next.

Glad you were pleased with it

-Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 06-19-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:25 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

I slept at the wheel and have to wait for the next round of supplies. Looking forward to getting this and installed.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:05 AM
Seannyc
Drifting

Sounds good when I get a chance I'll put a order in

would u say you port the most out of all the TB's or claim the Most Hp Not Tryin To make a TB War Just Tryin To Figure it out
Old 06-20-2017, 06:41 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Seannyc
Sounds good when I get a chance I'll put a order in

would u say you port the most out of all the TB's or claim the Most Hp Not Tryin To make a TB War Just Tryin To Figure it out
I would say you get what you pay for in life....(and in TB's.....LOL)

I specialize in airflow....been involved in the performance industry for over three decades. Im a cylinder head and intake manifold designer by trade....was head of the R&D Department and handled most of the AFR (Airflow Research) cylinder head and intake manifold development for 15 years before embarking on my own gig running Mamo Motorsports almost three years ago. I have logged thousands of hours in front of a flowbench. Google my name if your unfamiliar with my background.

Compare the quality of the execution of my units to my competitors.....that's not something easily done but would encourage you to seek out others who have. I have invested alot of time experimenting and perfecting this product....for the select few that have issues I modify if necessary to make sure its right....no one leaves unhappy.

This thread has how many positive and glowing reviews about my products and customer service??.....LOL (Honestly if your not feeling comfortable at this point Im not sure what more I could say to help).

And I offer a money back guarantee as well....if you don't feel it was/is worth every penny I will refund your money.

That's it....the rest is up to you but as I have stated previously, GM is out of new cores at the moment and the best I can do right now is put you on the pre-order list I have going already that I will be filling on a first order first served basis once supply from GM is available again. For others reading that might be interested as well, I only need your info....wont be processing credit cards till the day the the TB is in a box and ready to ship.

Hoping the General doesnt bobble the ball too long...

Will update this thread with any new developments as they pan out

Regards,
Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 06-20-2017 at 06:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports:
Chalky (06-20-2017), Is2scooby (06-20-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 03:15 AM
Seannyc
Drifting

Sounds good I'm in no rush
Old 06-21-2017, 01:28 PM
MRHTRD
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Guys,

I appreciate all the positive comments etc....thank you

Regarding the issue with MRHTRD, I think its likely the vitesse thats creating or should I say compounding things coupled with all the other mods (quite a few on this car) where the computer finally says "Uncle". Now the Vitesse controller is quickly opening a far more efficient TB that's moving alot of air and I think its just going to be an issue unless you can address this in the tune (or just address the light function in the tune).

I suspect without the Vitesse it would work OK and at the end of the day having the better flowing TB is going to make big changes in your airflow and your actual power output where the Vitesse does none of that....it just plays with the opening speed of the TB....the volumetric efficiency and the output of the engine hasn't changed a bit which is not the case with the ported TB.....that gives you the extra response and a bunch more power and torque from the real improvements in actual airflow.....your engine is moving more air with a ported TB bolted to it.

I would try deleting the Vitesse from the equation and see how that goes.....its the first thing I would try (with the exception of disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and seeing what happens after).

I could port something less aggressive but I think the best play is to tune it out or ditch the Vitesse and get the most gains in airflow from the TB swap

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Tony
Tony,

Sorry for taking so long to answer here. I did remove the Vitesse product and the check engine light quick went away and I have not seen anything further.

quick note......The car runs far better without the Vitesse and with the new throttle body than it has ever run !! Very smooth acceleration, no lag to speak of (at least I cannot notice it) and the throttle power is just as good without the Vitesse and fuel mileage is way better, although I did not buy this car for fuel mileage !!

Your product is second to none and so far I am very happy with the results. We may need to look at my 02 Z06 again in the future....................

Dave
Old 06-28-2017, 01:01 AM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I thought it was interesting that someone installed a Katech TB and also is having idle surging problems.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...b-install.html

Get notified of new replies

To Tony Mamo Ported TB installed

Old 06-28-2017, 05:45 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wonka12_98
I thought it was interesting that someone installed a Katech TB and also is having idle surging problems.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...b-install.html
Very interesting...with the law of averages I guess there have to be some defective units out of the box from GM supplier...
Old 06-28-2017, 09:20 AM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Are they really defective or the way they were ported? I actually have no idea.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:43 PM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts
Default 17 Z w TM and BMS

FYI- my 17 Z A8 runs just fine w no codes thrown etc. I have the infamous Tony Mamo ported throttle body and the BMS filter. Very happy w both at this point.

Quick Reply: Tony Mamo Ported TB installed