C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Camera experiments

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 05:29 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,853 Likes on 1,161 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default PDR Cam, GoPro Rear, AIM Data

Sean gave me a set of his AIM Solo data from one of his Summit Point runs last year. I took a few laps and, using RaceRender, overlaid it on top of another one of my drives. What you'll watch here may cause a bit of a disconnect: it's my drive to a restaurant, while I use Sean's data as an overlay. Don't pay attention to the actual drive, more the layout of the stuff. Specifically the data and the rear view camera.

The more I work with the PDR camera, the less I like it. Scaling it up to 1080p/60 FPS just looks cruddy compared to the GoPro Session 4's native 1080p/60 FPS. And of course that's what you'd expect: creating frames out of nothing. But, what do folks think of the data presentation and layout?

And no, I can't drive Summit as fast as Sean. But this does give me an idea.... >;-)
Old 05-07-2017, 02:52 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Sean gave me a set of his AIM Solo data from one of his Summit Point runs last year. I took a few laps and, using RaceRender, overlaid it on top of another one of my drives. What you'll watch here may cause a bit of a disconnect: it's my drive to a restaurant, while I use Sean's data as an overlay. Don't pay attention to the actual drive, more the layout of the stuff. Specifically the data and the rear view camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O78nAF5FOew

The more I work with the PDR camera, the less I like it. Scaling it up to 1080p/60 FPS just looks cruddy compared to the GoPro Session 4's native 1080p/60 FPS. And of course that's what you'd expect: creating frames out of nothing. But, what do folks think of the data presentation and layout?

And no, I can't drive Summit as fast as Sean. But this does give me an idea.... >;-)
I like the layout. How are you getting the braking information? Is it just coming from the GPS, or is there some sort of brake signal coming in?

I still have yet to see a G-meter as good as the PDR on any of these systems. The PDR G-meter is nice and large, and is very stable.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 05-07-2017 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:20 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Michael A
I like the layout. How are you getting the braking information? Is it just coming from the GPS, or is there some sort of brake signal coming in?
Thanks. I'm working on improving the template even further. Here's a screen shot of what I have so far:

The brake data is coming via the ODB2 port; the AIM sees it as "BRK_PRES_SMO". It's not perfect, but close enough to represent the driver pressing on the brake pedal.

I still have yet to see a G-meter as good as the PDR on any of these systems. The PDR G-meter is nice and large, and is very stable.
The display of the G-meter can be done in any sort of way the software you're using allows. RaceRender (what I'm using) has a ton of different G-meters. The data itself is a bit tougher because the device gathering it isn't as tightly connected physically to the car as the car's built-in sensor. So little bumps or whatever can throw the sensor off.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:37 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,405 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Thanks. I'm working on improving the template even further. Here's a screen shot of what I have so far:

The brake data is coming via the ODB2 port; the AIM sees it as "BRK_PRES_SMO". It's not perfect, but close enough to represent the driver pressing on the brake pedal.The display of the G-meter can be done in any sort of way the software you're using allows. RaceRender (what I'm using) has a ton of different G-meters. The data itself is a bit tougher because the device gathering it isn't as tightly connected physically to the car as the car's built-in sensor. So little bumps or whatever can throw the sensor off.
The aim data should have both the car's G sensor data and the internal sensor from the unit. I don't know if I trust the car sensors either though as they read really high.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:03 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
The aim data should have both the car's G sensor data and the internal sensor from the unit. I don't know if I trust the car sensors either though as they read really high.
I couldn't find the longitudinal sensor reading, just the lateral. Perhaps it's named differently.

Quick Reply: Camera experiments