C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Let's talk Ported TP, X-pipe, CAI/filter with NO TUNE

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 10:23 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by george vee
Yes it did, I had no issues until I installed it.
I have the AFE which I installed the blue "High Flow" air filter at first but did not have a ported TB or an aftermarket X-pipe at the time and it did not throw a code running 93 octane. However the car ran best down the 1/4 mile using the AFE "Low Flow" gray filter that was also supplied with the CAI.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 03-31-2017 at 10:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
george vee (03-31-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 12:51 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default VERY good point.....

Yes it did, I had no issues until I installed it.

VERY good point..... While the old K&N oiled filter idea always seemed to be a great idea.....

Most of us tuners (and consumers) now know that they are a really bad idea.

Pretty much everyone now offers DRY filters because the MAF is "THAT SENSITIVE" and extremely important to the

way a GM engine and trans work.... Sucking oil off the filter gause and letting it settle on the tiny MAF sensor wire

only causes it to attract dirt and debris the same way the filter material captures dust....

And for what it's worth the little CLEAN very sensitive wire starts to look like a CORN DOG at 7-11 with the crust all over it

and there should be no wonder why the ECM can't read or calculate fuel correctly and then the TRANSMISSION

misbehaves because it gets the wrong torque signal from the engine....

YES, all because of an OILED Air Filter..... That we all used to think was such a smart idea....

Thank you George for bringing that up.....

More people need to know how this stuff works to avoid problems.

Chuck CoW
The following 2 users liked this post by Chuck CoW:
Blvdbrawler (04-03-2017), george vee (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 01:02 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

AFE & Halltech offer "oiled" high flow air filters. The Green filter I believe is also oiled and some other higher flow OEM replacements. Check the brand your interested in to see like that new "Blue" filter.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 04-01-2017 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:41 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,837 Likes on 660 Posts

Wait, so the Green Filter(#7225) is an oiled filter? I just ordered one based on the recommendations of other members here thinking it would be OK to use on my new Z.
Z0HS1CK (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 02:16 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Default No worries.

Originally Posted by BMadden
Wait, so the Green Filter(#7225) is an oiled filter? I just ordered one based on the recommendations of other members here thinking it would be OK to use on my new Z.
I have used the green filter, its good enough for Lingenfelter's 720 HP stage 1 package. My car ran flawlessly and well. Did a lot of A$$ Kicking down the track. Look it over good. You would most likely think it was a dry filter by looking at it. I had no problems using it, period. And I know all about oil getting on MAF sensor wires, "not".

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 04-01-2017 at 02:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by C7/Z06 Man:
BMadden (04-01-2017), Z0HS1CK (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 11:54 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by fleming23
I am currently running the combo you refer to in your post.

Halltech intake
Corsa X-pipe
Mamo ported TB
Axleback exhaust

I posted not too long ago that I switched to the 2017 blower lid and on the dyno my car was reporting conditions which were too lean for my liking. I removed the intake to keep the 2017 lid but recently, as in last week, swapped the lid back to the stock 16 and put my Halltech back on. I intend to go back to the dyno soon to see how this combo reports. I've never had any issue and I run my car pretty hard, and I'm not talking about on the street hard like some people claim. If I dyno the car again and the air fuel is still 13+, the intake will come off for good and be sold.
Very much looking forward to your results!

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Gene,

I have a full Corsa Extreme exhaust, a Halltech CAI, and a Throttle Body spacer. Yesterday I ordered a ported throttle body from WeaponX. It should arrive next week and then will get immediately installed.

I'll let you know how things go.
Looking forward to your results as well. Off topic a bit but what's the deal with the TB spacer? How would such a thing be beneficial?

Originally Posted by Joetib07
I have a side question, will a drop in green filter and ported TB void a warranty? And would you need a tune for running that combo? My Z is currently bone stock with a Borla Xpipe
No.

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Good thread.

I have an x-pipe and a green filter that will be going on once the weather shapes up.

I too wanna know if a tune is necessary. Don't want to void the warranty for such minor mods. If that's the case, might as well go all out then lol
For those two minor mods you'll be totally fine.

I don't track my 15 Z A8 just like spirited driving. I'm not looking to tune my car either.
I did the Tony Mano TB and drove for a few hundred miles, I felt the the difference in throttle response and more power. I then did the Borla X pipe, a week later, car was definitely louder in sport mode and felt a bit stronger and nice and quiet without drone in touring, no drone in S or Track mode.
I then installed the AFE, a week after the X pipe, which comes with the high flow oiled filter and the lower flow dry filter. I installed the oiled filter, started the car and got a check engine light, code P228 and code P227 , barometric pressure sensors, no clue what that is since I'm new to this technology. Car was also running lean.
I reset the chk eng light and drove 100 miles and stopped at my dealer to get oil changed and NY inspection, car failed because of oxygen sensor reading. Drove home and installed my stock CAI and car now passed inspection after putting on 100 miles which help recalibrate the MAF sensor. Car showing no codes.
Today I reinstalled the AFE with the dry filter and got no codes and car was not running lean, well within parameters. I couldn't go for a spirited drive because its raining here but I will on Sunday and give you my views.
Much like you I'm looking forward to sunny Sunday George!

From what many others have said on here those 3 mods will not void your warranty....and I hope that's the case because those are the first 3 things I'm doing when mine gets here in the next couple of weeks.
At this point I'm also excited for you to get your car!

Originally Posted by bob53
Gene,

I too would love to see actual data on the variables that affect how far you can lean out the car using the stock program before throwing a code. Loss of warranty from a tune is the one thing preventing me from diving in and going full tilt with bolt-ons (ported blower, mid-length headers, ported tb, x-pipe, exhaust, intake, pulley, and e85). I wish they were more mod friendly like Ford (or supported more factory performance upgrades like Ford). While I am not advocating fraud, I think GM has become too heavy handed re: dealing with mods. If DiabloTune was more flexible with these mods, I would buy their tuner as it would be nice to not face warranty denial for a simple checksum when the failure and modification may have nothing to do with each other.
I totally agree with you. I certainly see their point but give us something right?! I was born and raised a Chevy guy but when I was in automotive journalism I must say that the Ford guys were wayyyy cooler and more true car guys than the GM guys were. Just look at their cars. Focus RS....Raptor....new GT. Amazing! But...like I said...I bleed bowties.

Originally Posted by ACS55
Um, I don't have two tanks with a switchover valve.. :-)

But seriously, how could octane booster affect the AFR??
I have no idea! Don't overestimate my knowledge on these things.

Originally Posted by Blvdbrawler
Great thread! I currently run all of the mods (Except the ported TB) plus the TRIC. Im thinking I just want to go ahead and tune the car to get the the maximum impact/effect of the mods. Not too worried about what dealer will say. I had a Chuck Cow tune done on my C6Z with ZERO issues so I will probably go in the same direction and perhaps add a ported TB while Im at it.
Nice!

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
To the OP: I don't think it's a good idea to put all kinds of bolt ons on a C7 (and especially the Z) and think that it's "OK" because it's

"ONLY BOLT ONS"..... While exhaust mods can add some power, they have little effect on the tuning when
compared to the potentially significant changes to the AFR and (for the automatic guys) the behavior of the trans
when changes are made to the intake or throttle body without logging and re-tuning as necessary.
With the cost of exhausts and even 5 and 600 dollar intakes now a days, the potential gains from those
mods is minimal, especially when not properly re-tuned and in my opinion hardly worth the trouble.
In other words, my suggestion would be to either TUNE THE CAR with NO MODS which will change it dramatically....
or bite the bullet and add the mods WITH the intention of tuning it.... I think you would be much better off
if the longevity and durability of the car was your concern. Secondly, if you're after performance, putting parts on the
car WITHOUT TUNING is silly because the potential gain is far less than the benefits of tuning alone.

I realize that there are always people that don't consider tuning for fear of warranty issues, but but quite realistically.....
Most of us in the business of tuning tune many more vehicles that are between 1-3 years new (and still warrantied)
than all of the vehicles out there that are OVER 3 years old and no longer warrantied.
In other words, our biggest customer base of "tuning customers" is for BRAN NEW cars.
Sadly too many people get freaked out over warranties and don't tune their cars when the vast majority of people
do it and there are virtually never ever and problems.
That's just my 2 cents.....
Chuck CoW
There's a double space formatting option to the forum? Chuck that's cool and all but that's not the point of the thread. I have a manual 10 second car with a 5 year 100k warranty that I daily drive. Personally I think it would be stupid of me to get rid of my warranty for some very small gains. The nature of this thread is finding out exactly how much we can reasonably safely push the car till we start getting into dangerous conditions or pulling too much timing.

The X-pipe makes the car sound like it should have from the factory.
The Ported TB makes the throttle feel like it should have from the factory.
The CAI makes it pull like it should have from the factory.

Do all these things work together with the stock tune? It seems we will find out shortly.

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
There is little doubt (in my mind) that an aftermarket "OEM replacement" air filter like a K&N, etc., in the stock housing from any of the various manufacturers will not void the warranty but other stuff may cause issues.

Example: Now you go "modifying" the factory throttle body or the exhaust system by removing the factory x-pipe/rear cats or even changing the factory cold air intake system to one that has not received approval, then you "may" have a problem with GM covering a OEM warranty replacement. These "Bolt-on" are all connected to engine operation, right?
This is dealership to dealership. I had mine install the X-pipe and they said no worries on the CAI. As far as the PTB you can't even tell it's been swapped. Some dealers aren't as fly.

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
I have the AFE which I installed the blue "High Flow" air filter at first but did not have a ported TB or an aftermarket X-pipe at the time and it did not throw a code running 93 octane. However the car ran best down the 1/4 mile using the AFE "Low Flow" gray filter that was also supplied with the CAI.
Do you think the low flow AFE filter flows less than the CAI? Not sure if you would have any reason to know this. Part of my theory is that this combo will work better if it's pushing a little less air....though of course still far more than stock.

You'll be fine. Most people are fine. I think the majority of the issues are when people re-oil it themselves and put too much on.

All the best,
Never tuning Gene
george vee (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 01:10 PM
ACS55
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 147 Posts
Default I have BAD NEWS!!

Well, I have been running a Halltech CAI and torco with phenomenal results.. my car has been a best of 10.38 at 250DA +\-.
Also, my car dyno'd 591/635 at the wheels with this above combo.

Well, I decided to add the Mamo ported TB and the Borla X-pipe.. and took it straight to the same dyno to make sure the AFR was safe and to also see if there were any power gains..

The results: the car is now running too lean (on the stock tune) with these additional mods. These AFR readings are using a tailpipe sensor..which will typically read .2 +\- AFR points leaner than the pre-cat reading, which would actually be more accurate.

The tuner (dyno operator) stated that the car was losing some power due to being too lean.
Now, I'm gonna have to remove one or both of the mods, or get a tune :-( and compromise the GM warranty.

Red line=stock

Blue line=CAI and torco only

Orange line=Borla x-pipe, ported throttle body, CAI and torco.
The following 4 users liked this post by ACS55:
91ZR1 (04-02-2017), Blvdbrawler (04-03-2017), Chuck CoW (04-01-2017), phantasms (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 01:13 PM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

What was the AFR before and after your last mods?
Old 04-01-2017, 01:17 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Never tuning Gene...

Originally Posted by phantasms
There's a double space formatting option to the forum? Chuck that's cool and all but that's not the point of the thread. I have a manual 10 second car with a 5 year 100k warranty that I daily drive. Personally I think it would be stupid of me to get rid of my warranty for some very small gains. The nature of this thread is finding out exactly how much we can reasonably safely push the car till we start getting into dangerous conditions or pulling too much timing.

The X-pipe makes the car sound like it should have from the factory.
The Ported TB makes the throttle feel like it should have from the factory.
The CAI makes it pull like it should have from the factory.

Do all these things work together with the stock tune? It seems we will find out shortly.

You'll be fine. Most people are fine. I think the majority of the issues are when people re-oil it themselves and put too much on.

All the best,
Never tuning Gene
Never tuning Gene...

I have a neurological disorder that causes the double spacing. I'd prefer that you didn't tease or bully me about it.

For those so concerned about warranties, it strikes me as odd that you would roll the dice....Adding bolt ons

without any "tuning assistance or datalogging", hoping that the car will go faster.....AND HOPING IT WILL NEVER FAIL.

Seems that your ideology of "keeping my warranty" is in direct conflict with your actions....and mods.

Point being, while some (or more) bolt ons might be "safe" to a point.... "Hoping" nothing will fail as a result

of those innocent bolt ons is silly. The combo that works for stick cars...

The nature of this thread is finding out exactly how much we can reasonably safely push the car till we start getting into dangerous conditions or pulling too much timing.
So, you are "finding out".....Exactly how? When you create a warranty situation??? and you yank off your bolt ons and presenmt the car to GM for warranty service?

Might just cause a trans failure in the A6 or A8.

Interested persons might read "Verifying Repairs: This is where we dropped the ball..." in

TRANSMISSION DIGEST Vol 36 #7 - March 2017.

The article talks about how the MAF directly effects the Transmission and a NEW MAF of a different brand caused

the trans to lose 30+psi of line pressure. Good read for guys interested in how these cars work.

Off to my SAFE SPACE where nobody will tease or taunt me....
Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 04-01-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:17 PM
ACS55
Pro

Originally Posted by HNK
What was the AFR before and after your last mods?
blue line is a representation of The AFR with the CAI and torco, but without the PTB&x-pipe.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:19 PM
1rawTA
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I think the combo of the ported TB with CAI may be so free flowing that it caused the car to run lean.

I have decided i am going to buy mods, install all at once with a tune! i feel like its the only propper way to do such things. I may throw the TB on by itself. But i will wait for all other mods until im ready for tuning.
Chuck CoW (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 02:58 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Well, I decided to add the Mamo ported TB and the Borla X-pipe.. and took it straight to the same dyno to make sure the AFR was safe and to also see if there were any power gains..

The results: the car is now running too lean (on the stock tune) with these additional mods. These AFR readings are using a tailpipe sensor..which will typically read .2 +\- AFR points leaner than the pre-cat reading, which would actually be more accurate.

The tuner (dyno operator) stated that the car was losing some power due to being too lean.
Now, I'm gonna have to remove one or both of the mods, or get a tune
:-( and compromise the GM warranty.
My point exactly. It's good that you checked the dyno first before "finding out" on the street or track.

Most humans don't have the ability to see the infrared spectrum... or airflow thru an air intake...

It's not always about MORE or LESS air.... It's just simply how the MAF perceives it.

You can have a "bigger" air intake which flows MORE air and given the same volume flows thru it.... The air simply SLOWS DOWN.

The MAF and the PCM perceive this as LESS AIR.... So LESS FUEL is added..... LESS TORQUE is calculated by the pcm....

The engine runs LEAN and detonates..... and the TRANS SLIPS or FLAIRS because the pcm told the trans

that there was LESS TORQUE coming at it..... So the trans responds with longer shifts and less pressure.

Just because you changed your air filter....

C7's don't always open the throttle 100% when the driver wants it..... Largely because the engine achieves "WOT" at a lesser

throttle opening because WOT to the consumer (driver) and WOT to the PCM are different things..... The PCM is at WOT when

engine INTAKE PRESSURE is 100kpa (or zero vacuum) and the C7 can make 100kpa at 80% throttle opening so there is no need to

open the TB futher if it got what it wanted..... Opening the throttle 100% isn't necessary and can hurt performance.

Clearly, on a boosted C7 the ported TB can help.... but tuning is strongly advised to monitor what's happening.

Ported Throttle Bodies and not something I believe in as the perceived gains can cause other issues you might not be aware of.

Not spooking people into TUNING if they are against it.... BUT, 3 or 4 times a day I have this conversation

with people that call me with problems..... Especially the Auto Trans guys.

It seems not everyone is up on their engine management tech.... Even many tuners....

Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 04-01-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:24 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,837 Likes on 660 Posts

What kind of issues can a ported TB cause? It seems like everyone on here who has done that mod said it made a noticeable difference in throttle response. How is that a bad thing?
Old 04-01-2017, 03:28 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Well, I have been running a Halltech CAI and torco with phenomenal results.. my car has been a best of 10.38 at 250DA +\-.
Also, my car dyno'd 591/635 at the wheels with this above combo.

Now, I'm gonna have to remove one or both of the mods, or get a tune :-( and compromise the GM warranty.

Red line=stock

Blue line=CAI and torco only

Orange line=Borla x-pipe, ported throttle body, CAI and torco.
Fascinating! Thank you very much for doing this. I can't say I'm terribly surprised. So what's your plan? Pull one or two of the three and which? This certainly explains how my car was acting last summer. Looks like I'll either be selling two ported TBs or a CAI and a pTB. Damn! I never had only the CAI and X-pipe. The CAI was never on the car without the pTB. Did you find the CAI to help a lot with the throttle response? It may sound crazy but if I had to decide I'd probably take the better throttle response over the increased power. In my experience with high HP cars you always eventually get used to the new HP.

So what's next for you?

BTW for everyone playing along ACS55's car is a 2016.

Never tuning Gene...

I have a neurological disorder that causes the double spacing. I'd prefer that you didn't tease or bully me about it.

For those so concerned about warranties, it strikes me as odd that you would roll the dice....Adding bolt ons

without any "tuning assistance or datalogging", hoping that the car will go faster.....AND HOPING IT WILL NEVER FAIL.

Seems that your ideology of "keeping my warranty" is in direct conflict with your actions....and mods.

Point being, while some (or more) bolt ons might be "safe" to a point.... "Hoping" nothing will fail as a result

of those innocent bolt ons is silly. The combo that works for stick cars...

So, you are "finding out".....Exactly how? When you create a warranty situation??? and you yank off your bolt ons and presenmt the car to GM for warranty service?

Might just cause a trans failure in the A6 or A8.

Interested persons might read "Verifying Repairs: This is where we dropped the ball..." in

TRANSMISSION DIGEST Vol 36 #7 - March 2017.

The article talks about how the MAF directly effects the Transmission and a NEW MAF of a different brand caused

the trans to lose 30+psi of line pressure. Good read for guys interested in how these cars work.

Off to my SAFE SPACE where nobody will tease or taunt me....
Chuck CoW
Chuck,

My absolute sincerest apologies. In no way was I trying to tease you or taunt you. Honestly I just figured you did it to use more space on the page and make your post more visible in an attempt to drum up business. I had no idea it was due to any sort of issue. Again, my deepest apologies.

Moving on...While we all appreciate your knowledge your posts continue to not be productive towards the intent of the thread. ALL of us are aware that tuning the car is the best way to go for the car. However as we're humans and tend to err we are seeing how far we can push the envelope. This is what that thread is about. Note that ACS55 was running low 10s with CAI, Torco and no tune. His car is fine. He is fine. It's fine. I understand what you say about the automatic trannies and if I had one I would take that into considering but I have a manual. If I had started a thread asking about how to get my stock PSS tires to hook the best on the drag strip and you came in and said "get drag radials" yes you would be right but you also wouldn't be helping. Please for the sake of the thread stop highjacking it with the tuning conversation. If you want to start another thread about why someone should tune with mods I'm sure many would find it to be very insightful.

Originally Posted by 1rawTA
I think the combo of the ported TB with CAI may be so free flowing that it caused the car to run lean.

I have decided i am going to buy mods, install all at once with a tune! i feel like its the only propper way to do such things. I may throw the TB on by itself. But i will wait for all other mods until im ready for tuning.
Wonderful.

Back to the purpose of the thread it would seem there are a few options for the many of us with X-pipes on our car and other mods on or on order and don't want to tune.

1. Keep stock TB and use CAI.
2. Keep ported TB and use stock intake.
3. Above but with aftermarket filter.
4. AFE intake with low flow???? An obvious act of desperation after the recent reports. George Vee how can we get you to test your car with a wideband on the dyno?

FWIW my car is currently setup with #2 and is running like an absolute champ.

Last edited by phantasms; 04-01-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:37 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Chuck,

My absolute sincerest apologies. In no way was I trying to tease you or taunt you. Honestly I just figured you did it to use more space on the page and make your post more visible in an attempt to drum up business. I had no idea it was due to any sort of issue. Again, my deepest apologies.

Moving on...While we all appreciate your knowledge your posts continue to not be productive towards the intent of the thread. ALL of us are aware that tuning the car is the best way to go for the car. However as we're humans and tend to err we are seeing how far we can push the envelope. This is what that thread is about. Note that ACS55 was running low 10s with CAI, Torco and no tune. His car is fine. He is fine. It's fine. I understand what you say about the automatic trannies and if I had one I would take that into considering but I have a manual. If I had started a thread asking about how to get my stock PSS tires to hook the best on the drag strip and you came in and said "get drag radials" yes you would be right but you also wouldn't be helping. Please for the sake of the thread stop highjacking it with the tuning conversation. If you want to start another thread about why someone should tune with mods I'm sure many would find it to be very insightful.
No need for apologies... For anyone who knows me, I do not have a neurological disorder that causes the double spacing.

(or at least I don't think I do...)

Please understand also, I have more than enough work that I don't need to "hijack" your thread to solicit business and I was not

trying to undermine your intelligence or "topic". My comments were not directed at or taunting you either.

Some regard me as an authority on this forum and look to me for advice and answers.

I have no problem with how you do what you do, and I do understand that you drive a stick....

But, please understand that there are many people reading what you write (and don't post in your thread) and can often

be mislead by the things they read and when I see opportunities to interject an opinion or clarification....

Please forgive me, but I take those liberties to try and help clarify things for the benefit of those that potentially

don't know what you know.

I can understand how an OP might occasionally be offended by my intrusion into your commentary, but

please understand that I'm not selling or showing off.... I have a 10+ year history of helping educate forum members

about these wonderful cars, and when I have the time to do so, I use the opportunity to help people out.

I'm sorry if you felt intruded upon, but that was not my intention.

Chuck CoW
The following 3 users liked this post by Chuck CoW:
Blvdbrawler (04-03-2017), george vee (04-01-2017), jovette (06-04-2018)
Old 04-01-2017, 04:45 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

No need for apologies... For anyone who knows me, I do not have a neurological disorder that causes the double spacing.

(or at least I don't think I do...)

Please understand also, I have more than enough work that I don't need to "hijack" your thread to solicit business and I was not

trying to undermine your intelligence or "topic". My comments were not directed at or taunting you either.

Some regard me as an authority on this forum and look to me for advice and answers.

I have no problem with how you do what you do, and I do understand that you drive a stick....

But, please understand that there are many people reading what you write (and don't post in your thread) and can often

be mislead by the things they read and when I see opportunities to interject an opinion or clarification....

Please forgive me, but I take those liberties to try and help clarify things for the benefit of those that potentially

don't know what you know.

I can understand how an OP might occasionally be offended by my intrusion into your commentary, but

please understand that I'm not selling or showing off.... I have a 10+ year history of helping educate forum members

about these wonderful cars, and when I have the time to do so, I use the opportunity to help people out.

I'm sorry if you felt intruded upon, but that was not my intention.

Chuck CoW
We all thank you my friend!

Last edited by phantasms; 04-01-2017 at 04:45 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by phantasms:
Chuck CoW (04-01-2017), Jbugg (03-28-2020), MP&RPZ06 (06-03-2018)
Old 04-01-2017, 04:56 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Default The system needs to be tuned to the ECM programing

It's the diameter of the OEM air tube that the MAF sensor and ECM is calibrated for, so if you install a better flowing air filter in the OEM air box the ECM will make the correct changes for the increased airflow.

I remember Halltech saying that the OEM setup without a filter flowed what their larger diameter tube intake system flowed with a filter. What I gathered from that is the stock setup with no filter is still metering correctly and would be making the safest power and calibrating the A8 trans correctly so you don't burn it up through slipping "AND" possibly more HP buy not running too lean due to incorrect air flow measurements. A larger tube flowing more air but at a slower speed past the MAF sensor makes the ECM think it's flowing less air so it gives the engine less fuel leaning the AFR.

I have not been keeping up with this stuff but I think Halltech and maybe AFE made some adjustments to their air tube diameter in the later models. The aftermarket CAI made more hp due to GM keeping the fuel curve on the rich (safe) side so a little leaning is a good thing but too lean and BOOM!

PS: There is a "new" OEM replacement high flow air filter in town. It's blue and may outflow the green filter. I really don't know but I would check it out before buying which one flows the best.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 04-01-2017 at 05:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by C7/Z06 Man:
george vee (04-01-2017), phantasms (04-01-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Let's talk Ported TP, X-pipe, CAI/filter with NO TUNE

Old 04-01-2017, 05:15 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,552 Likes on 529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Gene,

I will be doing #3 on my 2017.

Mamo TB
borla x pipe
Green filter

The other guy who has a 2017 is running the same with no issues. The aftermarket filters add approx. .5 boost. I think filter with the other 2 is the best combo and the most you can do on stock tune.

Last edited by Z0Sick6; 04-01-2017 at 05:17 PM.
phantasms (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 05:21 PM
ACS55
Pro

Fascinating! Thank you very much for doing this. I can't say I'm terribly surprised. So what's your plan? Pull one or two of the three and which? This certainly explains how my car was acting last summer. Looks like I'll either be selling two ported TBs or a CAI and a pTB. Damn! I never had only the CAI and X-pipe. The CAI was never on the car without the pTB. Did you find the CAI to help a lot with the throttle response? It may sound crazy but if I had to decide I'd probably take the better throttle response over the increased power. In my experience with high HP cars you always eventually get used to the new HP.

So what's next for you?

BTW for everyone playing along ACS55's car is a 2016
My initial plan is this:

1. Remove PTB and dyno it again to check AFR. Probably Wednesday.

Why? Because it's easy.

Did the PTB help with the "off idle hesitation"? It absolutely did.

Why not remove the x-pipe? Because it's more work on my back in the garage, and I'm curious to see which one is the largest culprit.

Which do I expect to be the largest culprit? Probably the X-Pipe.

Also, it may be interesting to note that I installed a wide band bung pre-cat in the LH lead pipe and I am working on getting it mounted and wired. I have read (and been told by the tuner today) that the AFR reading at the tailpipe is typically 0.5 points leaner at the tailpipe (than the more accurate reading at the pre-cat location). I have had another tuner on this forum flame 🔥 me for making this statement and it is his assertion that it is NEVER more that 0.2 points leaner. This is a valuable piece of information related to your current topic.

I am am more concerned with WOT power than throttle response, as my car was bought for drag strip action. Maybe this is another contributing reason why I'm hoping the PTB is the main culprit.

I am not completely ruling out a tune at this point.

Who is the best to use for tuning in Texas, not only for maximizing power, but more specifically for programming the A8 for maximum drag performance, anyone?
phantasms (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 05:34 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

My initial plan is this:

1. Remove PTB and dyno it again to check AFR. Probably Wednesday.

Why? Because it's easy.
Ohhhh goody. I was hoping this would be your answer and due to ease I figured it would be. I'm sure if you had the stock unit on you, you would have made the swap while it was sitting on the rollers.

Best,
Gene

Last edited by phantasms; 04-01-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Let's talk Ported TP, X-pipe, CAI/filter with NO TUNE