C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Confused in buying C6 Z06 or C7 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:14 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,149 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Do you know WHY the C4 became the car to avoid?

Because the C5 was revolutionary not evolutionary and moved the Corvette brand into contention with the best cars available at the time. The C4 came to represent the old Corvette brand, lifestyle, connotations, gold chains, etc and the C5 and newer was a legitimate sports car instead of a poser.

The C7 is the best Corvette generation to date with regards to performance and tech. Yes, they are heavier, but EVERYthing is heavier, thanks Obama. Yes, it's harder to cool 650/650 but not every car overheats, it is not a problem with the car's existence, it is an issue of specific geographical use. Is it bad press? For sure!! And it sucks if it happens to you, I am sure.

But overall, all things considered, taking into account performance, design, technology, useability, etc, there is not a better Corvette today. The C6 was better than the C7 in June of 2013, but after that, not so much.

Of course if you base it on style or auction value or nostalgia or some other arbitrary factor then it just goes down to whatever one prefers and why they buy anything they buy at all, much like paintings and photos on the wall, everyone is unique and no one is wrong.

But saying that a high ambient 10/10ths track only cooling issue dooms the C7 is borderline retarded. It's an easy fix not unlike how easy the fix is when 400 HP isn't enough people spend way more money "fixing the issue" with aftermarket parts to get 500 (or whatever) HP and it never fails they always state, "This is how the car should have come from Chevy." Same thing with suspension changes or tires (who likes the run flats?) or whatever example you want to use.

The point is, any car you buy, when you want to use it at any type of limit, even a Jeep Wrangler off road isn't all that good without lifts and 35s and so on and even has a tendency to overheat when crawling, will find the limits of the weakest link and require an upgrade. Big deal, it's nothing new.

Condemning a generation of Corvette because it literally has ONE shortcoming from being absolutely perfect has to be the most short-sighted notion proposed. Open your eyes, put in eye drops if needed. The C7Z is compared with, and often bests, cars 3 or 4 times it's price range, that says A LOT. And even those cars aren't perfect. 911's need whole engines, C6Z's need head work (or engines), and so on and you want to complain about a minor, fixable, non catastrophic, low percentage on track heat management issue.

Seems like all the C6 trolls marched together in this thread. I mean i understand why they're defensive, because their "king" was dethroned many years ago, even when the C6 ZR1 came out. But they accepted that because that was still a C6. But now the C7 z06 came around and since it carries the z06 badge, oh no no way, it can't be better than the C6Z. It doesn't have round tail lights!!! And it's heavier!! Oh no!

People need to stop being insecure and enjoy what they have.

We all drive corvettes so no matter what year or gen it is, it's still family.

But people REALLY need to stop arguing at what is clearly an inferior car, and think it's still better. Because it's not.

The C6Z is a great car. But the C7Z is greater.

End of story.

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 04-26-2017 at 06:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
VettScience (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:27 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Maximus68
I guess 100,000 C7 Z06 owners are wrong
Might want to check your math on that. There are nowhere near that many C7 Z06s made. And the C7 generation has never sold as well as the C6 did. Corresponding years, totals etc.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:02 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by grcor
The C7 Z06 is using 71% more gas than the C6 Z06 at the track(C6 Z06 gets 6 mpg and the C7 Z06 gets 3.5 mpg). I am not sure if I can say that translates directly into 71% more heat the cooling system has to dissipate, but I think we all can agree it is substantially more heat that the cooling system has to dissipate. Now it should be painfully obvious why the C7 Z06 has such an overheating problem. On top of that the C7 Z06 has the intercooler radiator setting in front of the engine radiator. Not only does the intercooler radiator slightly restrict airflow to the engine radiator but it is heating up the air before the engine radiator gets it. After market Radiator manufactures have tried higher capacity radiators with little to no effect because of the issues I have mentioned above with the intercooler radiator and the large belly pan further restricting airflow. The only way a higher capacity radiator can work is if there is a sufficient flow of cool air. LG and GSpeed are putting additional openings in the front of the car with separate air inlets for each radiator/cooler. I think they will eventually be successful in solving the cooling problem, but unfortunately they will have created 3 new problems. The new air inlets will create substantially more drag and lift and the additional radiators/coolers with add weight in front of the front tires skewing the balance of the car. The Chevrolet engineers are no dummies and I am sure they have already looked at this approach and discarded it because of all the new problems that it creates. So what you will see from Chevrolet are more band aids like the rear mounded cooler, power steering scoop, and larger hood openings in the 2017 Z06. None of which totally solve the problem. The Chevy engineers got themselves into a vicious circle of adding Comfort features>Weight>Performance features>Weight>Supercharging>Weight>Gas mileage enhancements>Weight>Cooling solutions>Weight, so you guys are wasting your time and money.

The C7 will go down in history, much like the C4, a car to avoid!
95%, maybe 99% didn't buy this thing to be a track rat. I can have more fun on the track in a gutted and caged C6 grand sport than any new car. And if you look at track times this thing is insanely fast. Look what randy pobst has done with the c7, it's a great car!! Plus i have suede on my removable carbon hard top so its sexxyyyy​.

Quick Reply: Confused in buying C6 Z06 or C7 Z06