C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Ported heads or aftermarket heads? Anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 10:19 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Ported heads or aftermarket heads? Anyone done it?

Doing a cam in my car so might as well do heads. Does anyone have aftermarket lt4 heads out yet and or who ports the stock ones?

Want the best bang for buck.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:43 AM
LuckyC7Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by NORCAL-SS
Doing a cam in my car so might as well do heads. Does anyone have aftermarket lt4 heads out yet and or who ports the stock ones?

The shop that did my mods told me gains were very minimal porting the stock heads as he had done several. So I declined he did cam and dual valve springs nonetheless.
When it was over my car actually made a little more HP and Tq than previous builds with exact mods except they had ported heads and I had the Akra exhaust being the only differences so go figure.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:05 AM
MCK_Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Check Texas Speed (A Vendor on this site.) I think they will port your heads for just under $1K & have other options available for what looks like decent prices.

But I think all of the tuner shops on the site sell heads for your car.

I did a ported blower/TB and heads at the same time and only gained about 40whp. I had a cam and bolt-on's prior to that.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:29 AM
0FrankensteinE.D.
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

NORCAL-SS,

This is why we're here. PM sent!

-Russ
Old 04-25-2017, 06:45 AM
entrenched
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

LME in Houston did mine.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:20 AM
Taz Golf
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Katech did my heads and very happy !
Old 04-25-2017, 10:23 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Tunetime performance in Lakewood has a CNC machine on site and they do tons of heads. He's doing a bunch of Viper Heads now also.

they just won some engine build off in Abu dahbi last month. Beat the world. Beat the old record by 40 wheel hp or something. Pretty cool thing they do every year over there. Use same truck just swap engines out and run on the dyno.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 04-25-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:52 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

http://store.katechengines.com/gen-5...eads-p550.aspx

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 05-05-2017, 02:21 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

Still looking.

gave a email to AI just now. I'm just looking whata available
Old 05-06-2017, 06:31 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Still looking.

gave a email to AI just now. I'm just looking whata available

I haven't seen any aftermarket castings out yet. I'm sure Mast probably has something in the works but....In the mean time, a GOOD head porter should be able to get 360/240 cfm with stock valves on the LT4 heads...On boost, you'll make over 900+rw with that. (not with a stock blower mind you).
Old 05-06-2017, 08:43 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I haven't seen any aftermarket castings out yet. I'm sure Mast probably has something in the works but....In the mean time, a GOOD head porter should be able to get 360/240 cfm with stock valves on the LT4 heads...On boost, you'll make over 900+rw with that. (not with a stock blower mind you).
What's the 'normal' gains from heads on the LT4, understanding there are a ton of variables. Would a 332/239 be worth $3K? I see a lot of builds swapping heads but a ton of builds making good power on stock heads.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:32 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BooSSted
What's the 'normal' gains from heads on the LT4, understanding there are a ton of variables. Would a 332/239 be worth $3K? I see a lot of builds swapping heads but a ton of builds making good power on stock heads.
I haven't done anything to my C7Z yet, so I can't tell you real world gains for heads but....."typically", a good ported head will gain you roughly 20-30 rwhp over stock, ofcourse this is dependent on how much power you are making. 20-30 rwhp at 700 rwhp could be 50-60 rwhp on a 900 rwhp car so...It all depends on how efficient the combo is. The camshaft has a LOT to do with this.

The exhaust ports are not good on the LT heads, I think thats where a good portion of the gain is.

$3k is pretty high for a CNC ported stock casting head honestly...definitely not worth that money. TEA, WCCH, and a host of other GOOD porters would get you more then 332 cfm for MUCH less money... Usually around $1500-$2k using your heads.

I bought some Mast 245 LS heads with 2.16 hollow stem stainless intake valves, 1.6 Inconel exhaust valves with rocker stands new for $2800. These were .750" decks...Pretty much the best cathedrals you can buy, for less money then you are talking for ported stock casting, stock valve heads.

On a budget, you could try these:
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4308-pr...der-heads.aspx Thats outright with new castings, or send yours in and have them done for $900 if you can live with the down time. Make sure you specify LT4 heads though as the castings are different.

If it was me, I would send my heads to a GOOD head porter and have them done professionally. You'll get better results for less money. I can wait a month longer to get more power for less dough. Here is some nice heads for $2k (exchange):
https://www.latemodelengines.com/ind...ads-group.html

This is a reputable engine company that utilizes the latest technology on everything they do so...I'd say these numbers are pretty realistic. Lots of local speed shops here use LME for heads.

To be honest, on a mild boosted application (700-750 rwhp), I wouldnt even bother porting the heads, the power per dollar is not there. You'll gain more by doing a custom camshaft. However, the heads are off anyway for the lifter/spring swap so, the "while youre in there" scenario takes place.

Last edited by ajrothm; 05-07-2017 at 06:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RJ-92 (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 06:53 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/first...led-tensema16/

Just saw these.... may be interesting in the near future.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:15 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I haven't done anything to my C7Z yet, so I can't tell you real world gains for heads but....."typically", a good ported head will gain you roughly 20-30 rwhp over stock, ofcourse this is dependent on how much power you are making. 20-30 rwhp at 700 rwhp could be 50-60 rwhp on a 900 rwhp car so...It all depends on how efficient the combo is. The camshaft has a LOT to do with this.

The exhaust ports are not good on the LT heads, I think thats where a good portion of the gain is.

$3k is pretty high for a CNC ported stock casting head honestly...definitely not worth that money. TEA, WCCH, and a host of other GOOD porters would get you more then 332 cfm for MUCH less money... Usually around $1500-$2k using your heads.

I bought some Mast 245 LS heads with 2.16 hollow stem stainless intake valves, 1.6 Inconel exhaust valves with rocker stands new for $2800. These were .750" decks...Pretty much the best cathedrals you can buy, for less money then you are talking for ported stock casting, stock valve heads.

On a budget, you could try these:
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4308-pr...der-heads.aspx Thats outright with new castings, or send yours in and have them done for $900 if you can live with the down time. Make sure you specify LT4 heads though as the castings are different.

If it was me, I would send my heads to a GOOD head porter and have them done professionally. You'll get better results for less money. I can wait a month longer to get more power for less dough. Here is some nice heads for $2k (exchange):
https://www.latemodelengines.com/ind...ads-group.html

This is a reputable engine company that utilizes the latest technology on everything they do so...I'd say these numbers are pretty realistic. Lots of local speed shops here use LME for heads.

To be honest, on a mild boosted application (700-750 rwhp), I wouldnt even bother porting the heads, the power per dollar is not there. You'll gain more by doing a custom camshaft. However, the heads are off anyway for the lifter/spring swap so, the "while youre in there" scenario takes place.
Sorry I should have specified in my original post, the $3K was for a new pair of heads. As you stated I just haven't seen the returns per dollar, when the time comes I may go with LME for a port job. Thanks for the informative post!!

Get notified of new replies

To Ported heads or aftermarket heads? Anyone done it?

Quick Reply: Ported heads or aftermarket heads? Anyone done it?