C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Track modes

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 02:08 PM
DLC Vette
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Track modes

I've taken my car to the track a couple of times. Loads of fun.
What is the difference between Track mode, and Track mode in the sub menu?

Or for that matter, whats the difference between Track mode and Dry and Sport 1 in the sub menu?

Thx
Old 05-10-2017, 03:16 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by DLC Vette
...What is the difference between Track mode, and Track mode in the sub menu?

Or for that matter, whats the difference between Track mode and Dry and Sport 1 in the sub menu?

Thx
Well....I don't quite understand what you're asking, or what your meaning of "Track mode" and "Track mode in the sub menu" mean.

I think by "Track mode" you may mean the mode that you're in when you first turn the **** from Sport to Track - before you do a double-push of the button.

And I think that by "in the sub menu" that you may mean the PTM modes.

Is that correct??

If that's what you mean - that "Track mode" is the basic non-PTM Track mode, then that's a good question that has been asked a number of times here on the forum. There have been a few people that have posted up what they think you get in the basic non-PTM Track mode, but they cannot give any reference source with firm details of what you really have in that mode.

In MHO, the basic non-PTM Track mode is probably something like Sport mode, with perhaps a "Competitive Active Handling" mode, perhaps something like the Competitive mode in the non Mag Ride Control Stingrays, or the C6 Comp mode. However both the TC and AH lights are "out" (not illuminated), so both may be in the full active mode.

Actually, when you go into the PTM modes in a car with MRC, you get the TC and StabiliTrak lights illumintated, however when you select the PTM modes Wet, Dry, and Sport 1 you still get a message in the DIC "Active Handling ON". To what extent it's still on - I dunno!?!? I suspect that in the Wet mode it may be fully on, but in Dry and Sport 1 it's probably in a mode something similar to the Competitive mode in a non-MRC car.

Take a look at the driving mode chart in the Owner's Manual:

In there you can see:
  • Stability Control - Comp Mode Available. (So....before you select Comp or a PTM mode, what mode is it actually in???????)

• Electronic Limited Slip (if equipped) (which of course it is in the Z06) - Modes 2&3. (??????Before you go into a PTM mode, what is the eLSD actually going to do for you????)
Bottom line - I haven't seen any definitive info on exactly what mode some of the various adjustable features are in when you go into the basic non-PTM Track mode before you do a double push of the button.

Last edited by BEZ06; 05-10-2017 at 03:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
snampro (04-22-2019)
Old 05-10-2017, 03:49 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Can't resist, I'll bite. A post like this is just mind boggling. You bought a car like this and also tracked it but don't have a clue how it works. I just can't comprehend how some brains function. I'm really thinking you're just posting a question like this in order to get a response like mine...

If you're not trolling for a reaction, you would be well served to do some reading:

https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmowne...23203317_B.pdf

Last edited by rikhek; 05-10-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:24 PM
DLC Vette
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BEZ06- sorry I was not more clear,,, but yes you got it correct regarding my Track and sub menu comments.
I think your explanation is what I was assuming and learned by playing with it and reading the manual,,, even though I don't think the manual explained it thoroughly.

rikhek- thank you for welcoming me to the forum.

Thanks
C6Peace (02-04-2018)
Old 05-10-2017, 04:24 PM
jswatek
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 113 Posts

It is somewhat more confusing than the C6 Z where you had a choice of all nannies on, traction control off (rear tires spin) stability on, or all off.

As the OP states what mode is the traction and stability when in "Track" before selecting PTM? I assume that all nannies are active but I don't know for sure. I just select "Track" and push the traction control twice to leave on stability. I have not yet tried driving with all nannies off yet to see the difference. In the C6 it seemed the best for me at the track when all nannies were off.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:55 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
Can't resist, I'll bite. A post like this is just mind boggling. You bought a car like this and also tracked it but don't have a clue how it works. I just can't comprehend how some brains function. I'm really thinking you're just posting a question like this in order to get a response like mine...

If you're not trolling for a reaction, you would be well served to do some reading:

https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmowne...23203317_B.pdf
Well, the jury is still out on some of these things. Some folks claim they get the best ET by using "launch mode", while others claim they do best by using other strategies, including launching in "touring" mode (for better weight transfer).

If you happen to be the Orpheus (a movie reference), or Jesus, please enlighten us.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

The best way to describe moving the selector into Track Mode and not pushing the center button twice is undefined. I can certainly feel the suspension and steering stiffen. However, once I push the button twice and select one of the 5 modes suspension and steering change. In Race Mode the suspension doesn't feel as stiff as it did by just turning the selector and steering isn't laborious either.

As they said at Spring Mountain running in Sport 1 is the safe mode unless it is wet. You have some stability control, no traction control and PTM. The only difference between Sport 2 and Race Mode seems to be a difference in throttle progression. My first time on track with my car was on a rainy day so I got plenty of experience in Wet Mode with Cup2 tires and was pleasantly surprised how well it worked. It also helped introduce me to PTM since PTM is so much more aggressive. For people not used to it I usually recommend running a few laps in Wet Mode so they can actually feel it working and get used to it then switch to what ever other mode they want to use.

When I ran an autocross last year I had the car in Sport 1. Although I couldn't use Launch Control because the car was on a steep downslope on the start I was able to rev the engine to about 2300 rpm before the clutch started grabbing. The result was interesting as it almost felt like there was a mini version of launch control working. The rear tires would start to spin, then stop, then spin a little and stop while I was adding throttle heading toward the first turn. It did that for about 70 or 80 ft before the tires stopped slipping.

Bill
Mikec7z (04-21-2019)
Old 05-10-2017, 06:41 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Alright I can't resist either so I'm going to jump in some as well. For drag racing if you have any experience drag racing you should be able to out-perform the launch control. What I mean there is a better 60'. After that drag racing in what mode seems to be best used by how well the track is prepped as well as how good/bad your tires are. In Tour it gives the best weight transfer, but as you go higher into the Sport and Track modes the suspension gets stiffer as you go. Some say that the shifts are harder there, but I can't answer that for certain. If you have enough traction you don't need/want as much weight transfer. So you don't need to soften the launch any more that is beneficial. The only way to answer from there is seat time. Just go to the strip and get in line and take notes on what you feel on each pass.
As for the track/road racing and autoX the nannies can help your driving skill somewhat. You can't rely on it to save your butt. The car can still spin out and lose control even in the tamer settings. Again, it's seat time and experience. Just get in your car and enjoy finding out.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:03 PM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Chart
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2017, 07:09 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
Alright I can't resist either so I'm going to jump in some as well.
Thanks. and fair enough.
Some of us would like to stand on the shoulders of those who have "been there and done that" before us, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel ourselves.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

It isn't uncommon to find people who don't know about the modes. Last year I was at an event and another Z06 parked next to me. This was the guy's 2nd track event in a Corvette and he complained to me that during the first event TC was interfering so much he could only get a 2:05 lap. That brought my eye brows up a little since I was turning 2:10s at the time. I asked if he had been to Spring Mountain and he said no. So I recommended he run in Sport 1 during the next session. He came back and told me he turned a 2:03 a couple of sessions later he said he did a 2:01. I got down to a 2:09.

Bill
Old 05-10-2017, 08:01 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by onfire
Chart
The first time I went out to the track, I was basically stock with slightly worn stock tires...
I ran in just track mode.

I then went to spring mountain, and learned a bit more about the car itself. I came back to spring mountain with my own Z and ran the 3.4 mile course in 233.9, my new PB. With a bit more practice there, I could go lower...

HERE IS MY QUESTION,

From the chart, it looks like there is still some traction control in track mode/race 2, which is what I was running at SM. If I would shift too quickly, the computer would kick in and slow me down just a bit, felt like traction control, IS IT??

Thank you!!
Old 05-11-2017, 08:38 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

The more options you have the more we as humans can get confused and need clarification and last time I checked that is what the forum was for?!?!?

Gm puts all these goodies into the car and then is challenged to communicate what it all does and how it works.

For me the biggest challenge going on to the track is getting everything set each time I roll out. Proper track settings, rev match on, seatbelts tight etc etc. Sometimes I think I need a list to make sure all the boxes are checked!!!

All good..........what a car!!!
C6Peace (02-04-2018)
Old 05-11-2017, 09:02 AM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
The first time I went out to the track, I was basically stock with slightly worn stock tires...
I ran in just track mode.

I then went to spring mountain, and learned a bit more about the car itself. I came back to spring mountain with my own Z and ran the 3.4 mile course in 233.9, my new PB. With a bit more practice there, I could go lower...

HERE IS MY QUESTION,

From the chart, it looks like there is still some traction control in track mode/race 2, which is what I was running at SM. If I would shift too quickly, the computer would kick in and slow me down just a bit, felt like traction control, IS IT??

Thank you!!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590304017

He discussed 'slip targets" in Race Mode.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:06 AM
jswatek
Pro

Thanks for posting Tadge's response! That pretty much answers any questions anyone might have!
Old 05-11-2017, 10:46 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jswatek
Thanks for posting Tadge's response! That pretty much answers any questions anyone might have!
Well......for the PTM modes - yes.

Butt.....for the original question - NO!!!

Tadge's discussion is all about AFTER the double push of the button when you go into the PTM modes.

However, the original question had to do wih what you've got in the basic non-PTM Track mode before you double push the button.

As Tech Contributor Bill Dearborn said in post# 7:

The best way to describe moving the selector into Track Mode and not pushing the center button twice is undefined.
So.....there's still a question out there about the basic non-PTM Track mode. Not really a big deal, because everybody probably goes into a PTM mode when driving on the track anyway.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:26 AM
REDHULK
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

personally I put it in track mode every time I get into the car, that is turning the dial all the way to track, I love how the suspension gets real tight, then I hit the traction button on the top 2 times and put it into sport 1, so in a straight line the tires can spin but if it starts to get un happy then the traction will kick in. also going into a turn you can slide just a little but if to much the traction will kick in. But just like he said if you can still loose it in all these modes and should practice and practice till you get the feel for this car, its a tough car to drive with all the power and should be very carefull

Get notified of new replies

To Track modes

Old 05-11-2017, 11:29 AM
jswatek
Pro

So.....there's still a question out there about the basic non-PTM Track mode. Not really a big deal, because everybody probably goes into a PTM mode when driving on the track anyway.

.[/QUOTE]

Good point!
Old 05-11-2017, 12:01 PM
REDHULK
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Power??

Ok i do have one question, if your going in a straight line is the power the same in one of the ptm modes as it is with the traction tottally off? Now lets assume under full throttle on both that the tires dont slip so no traction kicks on is there a differance in power?
Old 05-11-2017, 02:55 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by REDHULK
Ok i do have one question, if your going in a straight line is the power the same in one of the ptm modes as it is with the traction tottally off?
I'm not sure - but I think so.

Now lets assume under full throttle on both that the tires dont slip so no traction kicks on is there a differance in power?
I don't believe there is a difference - IF YOU'RE GOING STRAIGHT!!

Have you been to Spring Mt? If so, then on their wet skid pad you've probably experienced the PTM mode reducing power.

If not, go into PTM-Wet mode, go around a corner with a wide runoff (just in case something doesn't go right!), and nail the throttle. You'll hear the power come on, then a "sputtering" kind of noise when the power is reduced by the PTM activating to keep the rear tires from losing grip.

The TC (Traction Control) is reactive - when it detects the wheels spinning it pulls power, i.e., it waits until the tires actually do lose traction before doing anything.

The PTM is proactive - if the steering angle, yaw rate, lateral G, etc., are such that the PTM thinks a tire "might" lose traction it will pull power and you'll hear that "sputtering".

My understanding is that, in all the PTM modes, that when you get the steering wheel straight and lateral G just about zeroed out, you'll have full power available (but maybe the PTM-Wet will still limit you a bit - I dunno).

Last edited by BEZ06; 05-11-2017 at 02:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEZ06:
AaronZ51 (05-11-2017), REDHULK (05-11-2017)

Quick Reply: Track modes