C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tune required

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 10:07 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by dar02081961
You are correct and it is just that simple.
At least on the 2 or 3 ZO's I have played with and all the other GM ECM controlled cars over the years.

The PCM can correct up to 25%. It wont even throw a code for high or low fuel trims until it gets above 7% correction factors in the LTFTs maybe more.

If you think about it the PCM compensates all the time by its nature. That's it's job. If you take the car to Pikes peak, it runs all day without codes or running lean. You take it to the Bonneville salt flats, it runs all day without setting codes or running rich. Anyone think the addition of a filter or a CAI is going to get outside of the swing from Bonneville to Pikes peak?

No it wont, but folks will argue to the cows come home.
Is a tune good? Absolutely.
Is it mandatory for minor mods? Absolutely not.

However I would recommend an AFR verification with a scan and data log anytime you do any mod. But with a filter change or CAI from any reputable company I wouldn't be concerned. If the computer cant compensate it will tell you within a few miles of driving the car.
great explanation and the truth.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:15 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by lordofwar
great explanation and the truth.
used to be partially correct but not since the E78 ecm came out in 2010.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:37 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
used to be partially correct but not since the E78 ecm came out in 2010.
can you explain E78 ecm in 2010 please.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:21 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by CONMAX
wrong! show me a case of a legitimate voided warranty claim from a tune. not one with all kinds of obvious bolts ons, headers, NOS and a long duration cam.
A GM dealer cannot provide a warranty block/engine without providing screenshots of the Tech2 system (or GDS) showing the absence of aftermarket tunes. This is documented GM policy. I posted screenshots of the letter and the policy, if you care to dig.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:10 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by lordofwar
can you explain E78 ecm in 2010 please.
see post 20
Old 06-05-2017, 09:22 PM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm about to give up on this Diablo hand held not working on my 2017. Has anyone with a HPT tune gone in for a general reflash like an airbag and were denied even though the stock tune was reinstalled? Not woulda, coulda, shoulda, hearda, but first hand denial of service ? I understand the tech2 for powertrain warranty.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:27 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Check DS 'may' have made some updates.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:32 PM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
Check DS 'may' have made some updates.
Brother, I've received a another new unit this afternoon, wasted 4 hours with updates, tech support,email,etc etc. E92A is kicking their butt on "some" vehicles. Would take me five minutes to set my fan and increase cot 200F. I'm almost at my limit to say f it.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:08 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by onfire
Brother, I've received a another new unit this afternoon, wasted 4 hours with updates, tech support,email,etc etc. E92A is kicking their butt on "some" vehicles. Would take me five minutes to set my fan and increase cot 200F. I'm almost at my limit to say f it.
Those changes you mention you would do through the Diablo of HPT? I ask because I have a 2015 and a Diablo for my Tahoe and have been on the fence about using the Diablo on the Z so I could make the adjustments you mention. Not willing to go HPT on my DD. I was hoping you would get the Diablo worked out on yours so I could learn from you.

Best,
Gene
Old 06-05-2017, 10:12 PM
onfire
Burning Brakes

You're good to go with Diablo and a 15 !
The following users liked this post:
phantasms (06-06-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 11:11 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
A GM dealer cannot provide a warranty block/engine without providing screenshots of the Tech2 system (or GDS) showing the absence of aftermarket tunes. This is documented GM policy. I posted screenshots of the letter and the policy, if you care to dig.
why would anyone with a major drivetrain issue take it to a dealer with the tune installed?
Old 06-24-2017, 09:11 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

why would anyone with a major drivetrain issue take it to a dealer with the tune installed?
reflashing a stock tune doesn't hide it anyways. it's futile. once the network detects an update to the code the change event is stored, GM doesn't look at the actual code. put the stock tune back on and now you have two deviations from GM's record for your VIN.
The following users liked this post:
RFBHD (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 01:33 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Maybe it breaks down on a trip where you don't have your laptop and it gets towed to the nearest dealer?

Your "personal" tune is still in the history of last 10, unless you flashed 10 legit tunes. So you can run home and reflash the stock tune, but that doesn't hide it entirely.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:47 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Maybe it breaks down on a trip where you don't have your laptop and it gets towed to the nearest dealer?

Your "personal" tune is still in the history of last 10, unless you flashed 10 legit tunes. So you can run home and reflash the stock tune, but that doesn't hide it entirely.
Even then I would guess GM would ask, "Why did you flash 10 stock tunes on your car?"
Old 06-24-2017, 03:31 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Even then I would guess GM would ask, "Why did you flash 10 stock tunes on your car?"
Yep... and I can only assume there's dupe elimination, so you'd at least need two factory tunes to go back and forth with.

I just flashed a tune on mine yesterday for the first time, setting my own warranty fuse so to speak. I let the dealership know in advance what and why I was doing it, for what that might be worth (nothing or everything, I don't know).

I -think- the onus is on GM to establish that what you did caused the failure. I could accurately argue that the change I made was unrelated to the failure, but GM has more and better lawyers and deeper pockets than me. They could stonewall and decline until I was an old man.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:43 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Yep... and I can only assume there's dupe elimination, so you'd at least need two factory tunes to go back and forth with.

I just flashed a tune on mine yesterday for the first time, setting my own warranty fuse so to speak. I let the dealership know in advance what and why I was doing it, for what that might be worth (nothing or everything, I don't know).

I -think- the onus is on GM to establish that what you did caused the failure. I could accurately argue that the change I made was unrelated to the failure, but GM has more and better lawyers and deeper pockets than me. They could stonewall and decline until I was an old man.
The popular argument is that they have to prove the mod caused the failure but when they can't see if you simply updated the speedo for different tire size or decided to run 40 degrees of timing and 15:1 AFR at WOT and rearranged the firing order they are obliged to make sweeping assumptions and therefore rules and state such in the owners manual and letters to dealers: "Any sign of PCM alteration = blocked warranty."

I still tune my cars while the salesman is showing me how to use Bluetooth though.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:46 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

I edited the sales agreement to remove the clause that prevents you from reverse engineering or modifying the electronics. Salesman even initialed my change! Probably means nothing, and isn't really related to the warranty issue, but goes to show I too was planning in advance... though last time around the only change I ever made was for tire size, and that's about what I expected this time too.

I should generate and print out a delta of the change I made (it's only one bit). Can't hurt to document in advance. May not help either, but...

For posterity, and to timestamp it, here's my delta!

Last edited by davepl; 06-24-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:24 PM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Corvette Camaro Tuner in Tampa

I get a lot of questions about the warranty and the tuning. From my experience, its hard to screw up a bolt ons tune, but ive seen shops in Florida that are out of business because they screwed up the simple stuff while cutting and pasting other shops tunes they worked at into your car. That's where the problem starts. Don't cut corners on $70K cars. Its not rocket science but you do need to know a little math, chemistry, and physics. You pretty much always have to stay up with what the manufacturer puts out......that's the hard part.

from the manufacturer, the tunes are pretty much the same whether your in Tampa, New York, Colorado, or LA. The tune has to pass in different states and at different elevations.

In the stock tune, I can pretty much expect about four degrees of Knock at 4400-4800 RPMs with an AFR at WOT in the high 11s. That the norm, and that's why you are paying to get fixed.

Shops are different, but I don't like to remote calibrate a FI or NO2 vehicle if no wideband is connected. To much can happen to fast. I like those to be in real time because to much can happen to fast.

Changing the air intake and adding headers most likely wont cause you a driving issue, but youll throw a couple codes because of relation the cat. Nothing crazy to address, but it needs it or your remote starter wont work.

I do see GM's point

www.TampaTuning.com

Last edited by Tampa Tuning; 06-25-2017 at 08:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Tune required