C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

First HPDE - need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 04:15 PM
jnc4558
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
Default First HPDE - need help

I've done some research about getting my car ready for my first HPDE. I just got back from Spring Mountain school and I am hooked. I will start slow by attending SCCA Track Night in America novice group. I am in Georgia and I have a 2016 automatic (stage 2) Z06 so I am expecting it to overheat.

I have compiled a list of things I think a need to do after reading several posts but I would like recommendations from you all. The list below might be too much or too little. I am not sure, so please give me your suggestions.

I am mostly concerned with brakes. My Z has iron discs and the original pads.

Replace engine oil - Mobil 1 15W50 and overfill it by a quarter. (Replace it again every 8-10 hours of actual track time)
Replace rear axle fluid (Replace it again every 24 hours of track time).
Replace coolant mix 90% water + 10% coolant.
Replace brake fluid with DOT 4 (Most recommended is Motul 8068HL RBF 600 or Castrol SRF).
Bleed brakes before and after track day.
Replace brake pads. Most recommended is Carbotech XP (I have read that Spring Mountain runs stock GM pads and rotors. True???) Do I need to bed the new pads? If I need to do this, would I need to machine the rotor?
Track Alignment.
GMPP brake ducts and backing plates.
Track insurance.
Drop the 'cold' psi to 26 lbs

Last edited by jnc4558; 05-16-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:52 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Depending on the mileage and what pads you had on before you will probably need to bed the pads. If the mileage is low you might get by with not sanding or cleaning the rotors. If you go with Carbotech they also have dustless street pads that will work and you won't have to worry about rebedding the brakes. Their street pads and race pads are compatible.
I'd use the srf. I tried the Motul this year and didn't like it as well at VIR. It didn't boil but I had more pedal travel than I liked. YMMV.
There are guys with a lot more experience than me that will probably chime in.
Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
jnc4558 (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 04:52 PM
AstroRR
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

All Spring Mountain's Z06's are Z07 pkg, so yes, they run them the way they came from GM. On the Stingrays, they swap out the pad to Hawks.
jnc4558 (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 04:57 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

Most important: drive only in 'M' mode and short shift a little, say around 5,000-5,500 rpm. You'll prevent the A8 from overheating and you'll still be very fast.

Drop the 'cold' psi to 26 lbs btw.

Have fun, and stay hydrated! lol

Bish
jnc4558 (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 05:19 PM
jnc4558
Racer

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
Depending on the mileage and what pads you had on before you will probably need to bed the pads. If the mileage is low you might get by with not sanding or cleaning the rotors. If you go with Carbotech they also have dustless street pads that will work and you won't have to worry about rebedding the brakes. Their street pads and race pads are compatible.
I'd use the srf. I tried the Motul this year and didn't like it as well at VIR. It didn't boil but I had more pedal travel than I liked. YMMV.
There are guys with a lot more experience than me that will probably chime in.
Good luck!
My Z has 6500 miles. So before I bed the new pads, I would need to machine the rotors to remove the old (brembo) compound?

Does anyone run hpde with their original pads (non-Z07 package)?
Old 05-16-2017, 05:19 PM
jnc4558
Racer

Originally Posted by thebishman
Most important: drive only in 'M' mode and short shift a little, say around 5,000-5,500 rpm. You'll prevent the A8 from overheating and you'll still be very fast.

Drop the 'cold' psi to 26 lbs btw.

Have fun, and stay hydrated! lol

Bish
Added to my list.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:30 PM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 272 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Your brakes will be fine, many prefer the non ccb due to the extreme expense of pads and rotors. I know several very advanced and pro drivers that run the stock z06 brakes, many due use hawk pads with them. Have fun and be safe. Take time to learn the line. Work on increasing your 'situational awareness' much of that will come with track time. Be progressive in your learning and get instruction especially on new tracks and technical tracks.

Its a great (but expensive) hobby. Enjoy and welcome to the club, see you at the track.
jnc4558 (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 05:35 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

If the pad you're going to be using is a lot more aggressive than the stock pads just burnishing the pads may work. The aggressive pad will probably wear the stock pad deposits off. If not a rotor hone will work if you can find one. Scotchbrite and brake cleaner might work but that's a lot of work!
Not sure how well the stock pads will work. A lot depends on how hard you push the car. If it's your first HPDE you might want to just see how well you like it before you change a lot of expensive parts. That said changing your brake fluid is a good idea.
I'd also change the clutch fluid. You can bleed it or there's an alternate way, in one of the stickys, that seems to work well.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:38 PM
jnc4558
Racer

Originally Posted by AVETTE
Your brakes will be fine, many prefer the non ccb due to the extreme expense of pads and rotors. I know several very advanced and pro drivers that run the stock z06 brakes, many due use hawk pads with them. Have fun and be safe. Take time to learn the line. Work on increasing your 'situational awareness' much of that will come with track time. Be progressive in your learning and get instruction especially on new tracks and technical tracks.

Its a great (but expensive) hobby. Enjoy and welcome to the club, see you at the track.
Thanks. Indeed expensive. I am planing to do just what you suggested. I will (try) to do a 2 or 3 hpde per year to keep it within budget.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:42 PM
jnc4558
Racer

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
If the pad you're going to be using is a lot more aggressive than the stock pads just burnishing the pads may work. The aggressive pad will probably wear the stock pad deposits off. If not a rotor hone will work if you can find one. Scotchbrite and brake cleaner might work but that's a lot of work!
Not sure how well the stock pads will work. A lot depends on how hard you push the car. If it's your first HPDE you might want to just see how well you like it before you change a lot of expensive parts. That said changing your brake fluid is a good idea.
I'd also change the clutch fluid. You can bleed it or there's an alternate way, in one of the stickys, that seems to work well.
The pads are the original pads. I will see how they do. I will take it easy and learn the lines first.

I have an automatic, do you recommend replacing the AT fluid? Before, after or interval?
Old 05-16-2017, 05:53 PM
davester
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

Sounds like you have your ducks in a row and are ready to go! Question for the group RE the 26psi cold tire pressures for the stock super sport michelins. Has anyone found a better cold starting pressure for those tires? I tend to hear a lot of tire squealing using that pressure and the factory "track suspension alignment" setting. Wonder if a couple more pounds of cold pressure might be any better?
Old 05-16-2017, 05:59 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by jnc4558
My Z has 6500 miles. So before I bed the new pads, I would need to machine the rotors to remove the old (brembo) compound?

Does anyone run hpde with their original pads (non-Z07 package)?
As far as brakes no need to machine the rotors. Use some 60 grit sand paper and break clean on the rotors than put your new pads on. XP10 front and XP8 rear are going to work best at your skill level.

Yes change your brake fluid I would say SRF but its expensive on the other hand it may work best for you because beginners tend to over work the brakes.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

Last edited by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com; 05-16-2017 at 06:03 PM.
jnc4558 (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 06:02 PM
jnc4558
Racer

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
As far as brakes no need to machine the rotors. Use some 60 grit sand paper and break clean on the rotors than put your new pads on. XP10 front and XP8 rear are going to work best at your skill level.
Thanks Adam. I was afraid I would have to machine them.
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 06:07 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

If you are running in a novice group then I wouldn't worry about anything. The car is very capable in factory trim. If you start running much faster then brakes become an issue.
jnc4558 (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 07:53 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by davester
Sounds like you have your ducks in a row and are ready to go! Question for the group RE the 26psi cold tire pressures for the stock super sport michelins. Has anyone found a better cold starting pressure for those tires? I tend to hear a lot of tire squealing using that pressure and the factory "track suspension alignment" setting. Wonder if a couple more pounds of cold pressure might be any better?
Dave,

I think that the MPSS are going to be at their best at a hot psi of 32, the same as the MPSC2s. This on track of course. The squealing goes along with them being a street tyre, even an 'Ultra High' performance one.

Certainly starting at 28 psi would be fine, but I'd fine tune the psi based on how much of the tread surface I was actually using. At HPT a couple of weeks ago I started cold with 26 psi in all my tyres except the RF which I dropped to 24 psi as it takes a pounding there. All ended up at 32 psi.

Lastly: make sure you're getting a really good track alignment, especially the rear caster. PM me for a fantastic place here in town to get your car set up if you want to.

Bish
Old 05-16-2017, 10:35 PM
Federot
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by schaibaa
If you are running in a novice group then I wouldn't worry about anything. The car is very capable in factory trim.
This. Go out, take it slow and learn.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:01 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

For your first HPDE event, jnc4558, leave your car as close to its stock configuration as possible. Change the car's brake fluid before the event, certainly, but don't worry about tinkering with brake pads, tire pressures, and alignment. You'll be running in the Novice Group, and establishing a baseline for your car's performance strengths and weaknesses is essential before you start making adjustments.

Focus primarily on your car's most important performance component: the driver. Short of a mechanical issue, your car is incapable of doing anything incorrectly by itself. Your inputs with your car's load transferring devices--with the steering wheel, the throttle, the brake pedal, and the transmission--will determine the car's attitude and balance on the track.

Did your car's brakes fade because of inadequate brake pads or because you abused the brakes? Did the car understeer on corner exit because of questionable tire pressures or because of aggressive steering angle past a corner's apex? Did the car oversteer on corner exit because of the stock alignment or because of excessive throttle application? By concentrating on what you do behind the wheel of your car, you'll be able to assess your and your car's performance more effectively.

Just my two cents....
jnc4558 (05-17-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To First HPDE - need help

Old 05-17-2017, 08:38 AM
jnc4558
Racer

Originally Posted by Doc V.
For your first HPDE event, jnc4558, leave your car as close to its stock configuration as possible. Change the car's brake fluid before the event, certainly, but don't worry about tinkering with brake pads, tire pressures, and alignment. You'll be running in the Novice Group, and establishing a baseline for your car's performance strengths and weaknesses is essential before you start making adjustments.

Focus primarily on your car's most important performance component: the driver. Short of a mechanical issue, your car is incapable of doing anything incorrectly by itself. Your inputs with your car's load transferring devices--with the steering wheel, the throttle, the brake pedal, and the transmission--will determine the car's attitude and balance on the track.

Did your car's brakes fade because of inadequate brake pads or because you abused the brakes? Did the car understeer on corner exit because of questionable tire pressures or because of aggressive steering angle past a corner's apex? Did the car oversteer on corner exit because of the stock alignment or because of excessive throttle application? By concentrating on what you do behind the wheel of your car, you'll be able to assess your and your car's performance more effectively.

Just my two cents....
Very sound advice. Thanks
Old 05-17-2017, 10:37 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by jnc4558
I've done some research about getting my car ready for my first HPDE. I just got back from Spring Mountain school and I am hooked. I will start slow by attending SCCA Track Night in America novice group. I am in Georgia and I have a 2016 automatic (stage 2) Z06 so I am expecting it to overheat.

I have compiled a list of things I think a need to do after reading several posts but I would like recommendations from you all. The list below might be too much or too little. I am not sure, so please give me your suggestions.

I am mostly concerned with brakes. My Z has iron discs and the original pads.

Replace engine oil - Mobil 1 15W50 and overfill it by a quarter.
(Replace it again every 8-10 hours of actual track time)

Per OM use the 15W50 it will help from a durability standpoint. I change mine out after 8 or 9 track days. Don't know the number of hours but it is more than 8 or 9 hours.

Replace rear axle fluid (Replace it again every 24 hours of track time).

Check rear axle fluid level to make sure it is filled properly. Don't replace until after the event per OM.

Replace coolant mix 90% water + 10% coolant.
At your driving level that may not be necessary but if you want to reduce chances of the auto over heating the engine then do it. You really don't need to drain all of the coolant. Just enough so when you add water it dilutes the solution from 40% to 10%. Don't worry about distilled water. GM recommends nothing more than drinkable water.

Replace brake fluid with DOT 4 (Most recommended is Motul 8068HL RBF 600 or Castrol SRF).
You can also choose Wilwood 600 EXP and Ferodo brake fluids and several others. Pay attention to dry boiling point Vs wet boiling point. If you want a boiling point near 600 degrees then even SRF has to be flushed after a month

Bleed brakes before and after track day.
I don't bleed the brakes after a track day unless I have a soft brake pedal issue.

Replace brake pads. Most recommended is Carbotech XP (I have read that Spring Mountain runs stock GM pads and rotors. True???) Do I need to bed the new pads? If I need to do this, would I need to machine the rotor?
This depends on how hard you run the car in the Novice Group. Even with a couple days at Spring Mountain you may not be pushing the car all that hard. You are still on a steep uphill learning slope and will be on a different track with different driving conditions, flaggers and totally different corners. The stock pads may get you through 2 days

Track Alignment.
GMPP brake ducts and backing plates.
Track insurance.
Drop the 'cold' psi to 26 lbs
Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-17-2017 at 10:49 AM.
jnc4558 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 10:56 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,026 Posts

If you are going for maximum performance you should consider the Powerstop Track Day pads and rotors. If you can't swing the rotors right now at least change your pads. There are other brands of pads, but my car works awesome with the Powerstop's. You are also correct about the brake fluid= changing it is a MUST DO!
The most important thing in enjoying and improving this kind of driving is seat time. The more you get, the better you will be. Warning though...this is habit forming. Have fun. Also since this is your " first time " you may not have the over heating problem as that usually occurs as your driving gets better and you begin to drive your car at its maximum.
JMHO
jnc4558 (05-17-2017)

Quick Reply: First HPDE - need help