C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Question on side skirts

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 10:20 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Question on side skirts

I've got a 2016 Z06 1LZ and I am considering installing side skirts.
I'm interested in opinions and recommendations including vendors to buy from.

Do they collect dirt?
Do the interfere with getting in and out?
Anyone have issues with scuffing / wear and tear?
Old 06-22-2017, 01:03 AM
jrwood
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm in same boat. I want carbon fiber ones and would love to hear input also
Old 06-22-2017, 08:09 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,425 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by dckotwicki
I've got a 2016 Z06 1LZ and I am considering installing side skirts.
I'm interested in opinions and recommendations including vendors to buy from. Purchased mine directly for ACS, which I recommend

Do they collect dirt? No more than any other body part...
Do the interfere with getting in and out? You definitely have to be aware that they are there, but you will get use to it...
Anyone have issues with scuffing / wear and tear?I haven't noticed an wear... You just have to step out a little further, and advise your passenger as well
^^^
Old 06-22-2017, 08:31 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Like sTz another ACS buyer here and I am happy with them. You will quickly get used to the slight extension when getting in/out of the car but as long as you aren't parked in a place where you cannot fully open the door they don't get in the way. If you are parked in a tight garage then you will have to be a little more careful in aiming your feet getting out.

Note that with no or GM wheel guards in front the leading vertical edge of the skirt will be exposed to debris thrown by the tires so if you don't want a "flap" at the front wheel use a bit of Expel on the front edge of the skirt. I bought direct from ACS and had them shipped to the museum to be installed before pickup and they warned me about the front edge at the time of order but this is true of any skirt mounted to the Z06 without also having wide flaps at the front wheels.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:26 AM
Bgriz
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the side skirts. For protection they are a must.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:48 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Get the skirts. There are no significant downsides, except for when I go to put my car on my lift. But I was able to remedy that with taller standoffs, so no big deal.

Otherwise, they do not collect dirt, do not wear faster than the rest of the car, and do not impede access when getting in. They do not present clearance or scraping issues.

I'd say the obvious "They should come on the car", but now they do come with at least 3/4 skirts.

Last edited by davepl; 06-22-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:01 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

I had noticed some light colored marks like something had been scraped down (length-wise) on them in several places each side of car (not continuous/3" here 10" there, not straight & so on). No one rides in passenger seat. It is not from getting in/out of car, they are fwd/center/aft of door opening & again run laterally not left/right. Yesterday I got tired of looking at them & used a lite polishing cream & mf cloth & they came out with a little elbow grease. I then waxed over the skirts. I first thought they were some type of stress cracks in top coat from flexing while driving but since they buffed out not sure now. They still may be that, but color goes all the way thru so they can be buffed out. Don't know but they are gone for now! Thoughts? Anyone else seen this?

Last edited by madrob2020; 06-22-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:08 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

Originally Posted by madrob2020
I had noticed some light colored marks like something had been scraped down (length-wise) on them in several places each side of car (not continuous/3" here 10" there, not straight & so on). No one rides in passenger seat. It is not from getting in/out of car, they are fwd/center/aft of door opening & again run laterally not left/right. Yesterday I got tired of looking at them & used a lite polishing cream & mf cloth & they came out with a little elbow grease. I then waxed over the skirts. I first thought they were some type of stress cracks in top coat from flexing while driving but since they buffed out not sure now. They still may be that, but color goes all the way thru so they can be buffed out. Don't know but they are gone for now! Thoughts? Anyone else seen this?

If you can polish them out I am not sure I would worry about them.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:20 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

If you can polish them out I am not sure I would worry about them.
Agree about I'm not concerned since they buffed out, just curious if anyone else noticed them showing up. Must be from constant flexing, so I figure I can't be only one. I'll be able to sleep at nite tho!
Old 06-23-2017, 03:22 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

Any opinion of these?
Stainless steel should wear well.
Also sounds like there are no additional holes drilled for installation.

https://www.corvettemods.com/C7-Corv...cW4wAodiX4FrA#

I sent a question into Corvette Mods asking if these skirts interfere in any way with installation and use of lift pucks. No answer yet.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:34 PM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

I went for body colored side skirts from RPI Designs. Excellent value, good company to work with and they fit my "Stealth" approach with body colored vents. Also very much recommend the wide mudflaps to cover the full front wheel (Lots of posts on this elsewhere). I just completed two road trips totaling 3,200 miles (including a [careful]mile or two on a gravel road) and did not get any stone chips on the rear quarters.

As to your other questions, My experience so far (8,000 miles) is that you do have to be a little bit more aware when getting out to try to avoid scuffing them. Mine got a little scuffed but the scuffs were minor and they polished out fairly easily. It might make some sense to put Xpel on them to avoid this, but I have not done that. Make sure you don't actually step on a side skirt because that will probably break it. But overall I do not feel they make any difference as to how I get in and out of the car. I am always careful and these don't require any more care.--Bob
Attached Images  

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 06-24-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:57 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=ZR1Bob;1595012052]I went for body colored side skirts from RPI Designs. Excellent value, good company to work with and they fit my "Stealth" approach with body colored vents....." Beautiful car color with matching accents. Even love the chrome wheels w/that color
The following users liked this post:
ZR1Bob (06-26-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 06:19 PM
atvBob
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

C7 Carbon Z06 side skirts in carbon fiber. Love them. Installed them myself in less than an hour ... and I've only got one leg!

Name:  2017-05-13 13.19.47.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  1.31 MB

Last edited by atvBob; 06-25-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:00 PM
cdh027
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by atvBob
C7 Carbon Z06 side skirts in carbon fiber. Love them. Installed them myself in less than an hour ... and I've only got one leg!

Attachment 48106802
What brand splash guards are those?
Old 06-26-2017, 08:28 AM
atvBob
Racer

Originally Posted by cdh027
What brand splash guards are those?
CRE 24" x 12" black textured splash guards. About $34 from where I got them.

I followed gve's thread. The template and drill holes (in the guards) were pretty close.

They essentially stop 100% of anything coming from the front tire. Nobody notices them unless I point them out. The white discoloration in the photo is simply car wax.

Here's the thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sh-guards.html

Here's where I got them from: https://www.realtruck.com/cre-splash-guard-mud-flaps/
Old 06-26-2017, 09:27 AM
davester
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

Love mine but they do make jacking up the front of the car problematic. They are so low that very few jacks will clear them for front jacking points. I know there some jack options out there with low profile and extra long reach, but they are really big and heavy jacks (90-100 pounds). OK for the garage but not something you will want to haul to the track in the rear hatch of the Z06. Any wisdom out there RE front jack point accessibility with skirts?
Old 06-26-2017, 11:13 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by davester
Love mine but they do make jacking up the front of the car problematic. They are so low that very few jacks will clear them for front jacking points. I know there some jack options out there with low profile and extra long reach, but they are really big and heavy jacks (90-100 pounds). OK for the garage but not something you will want to haul to the track in the rear hatch of the Z06. Any wisdom out there RE front jack point accessibility with skirts?
When I mounted my wide flaps I actually mounted them directly on the stock trim pieces. It was easier to fashion them on my work bench and if you need to remove them, just remove the stock pieces they are attached to with the one bottom screw and the clips.--Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Question on side skirts

Old 06-30-2017, 01:20 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

Default dirt

do they collect dirt where the side skirt and the body mate???
Old 06-30-2017, 01:30 PM
atvBob
Racer

do they collect dirt where the side skirt and the body mate???
Not any more than any other part of the car.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:47 PM
taylosw
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have 3/4 quarter side skirts, thinking about ordering some full length ones from fleabay, you can save quite the penny.

Quick Reply: Question on side skirts