C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Another pre purchase question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 07:58 AM
Blwnc6
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Another pre purchase question

Ok I found another z06 I am thinking about buying. Its a 16 2lz it drives great and when I got back to the dealer looked under the hood and found it has a AFE cold air intake. Will this void the engine warranty? Does anyone have a stock air box they would like to sell? Also do I need to make them check the PCM to see if it has been tuned?
Thanks in advance Tim
Old 06-25-2017, 08:36 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by timrivette
Ok I found another z06 I am thinking about buying. Its a 16 2lz it drives great and when I got back to the dealer looked under the hood and found it has a AFE cold air intake. Will this void the engine warranty? Does anyone have a stock air box they would like to sell? Also do I need to make them check the PCM to see if it has been tuned?
Thanks in advance Tim
I don't think it would void the warranty, but you can't take an opinion to the bank. Ask the dealer that has the car if he/she is an authorized Chevrolet dealer. Someone with more intimate knowledge of the warranty will most likely provide a better response to your question.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:05 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Ask the dealer also if the car has the factory tune.
Also get something in writing stating the mods to the car that they are selling it with, and that it is sold with the full factory warranty. This won't guarantee anything (the final decision will still be up to GM), but it might help if there's ever an issue.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:32 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

If you are concerned about a warranty then I would have Chevy pull the ECM data to confirm it's still stock. Few threads around where buyers unknowingly bought used tuned cars and suffered powertrain blocks when looking for warranty service. If you continue just ask the dealer to put a new stock airbox on...it's all negotiable.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:36 AM
h3mpking
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Thanks in advance Tim
I have a stock air box that I am about to post up for sale. I would definitely have them run the car through service and check to make sure it was not tuned. I'd almost be willing to bet you can find a new Z06 for the price you are paying for the used one. Definitely check that option out as well.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:12 PM
tjaic7
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by h3mpking
I have a stock air box that I am about to post up for sale. I would definitely have them run the car through service and check to make sure it was not tuned. I'd almost be willing to bet you can find a new Z06 for the price you are paying for the used one. Definitely check that option out as well.
what makes you say he can get a new 2lz z06 for the price hes paying for the used one? I am currently trying to find a new z06 for high 60s or 70k which is what a used one goes for.... no luck so far BUT i did find a leftover "NEW" 2016 2lz z06 for sale with a msrp of 86k..... do you think its possible to get them to get into the 60s?

PS. dont meant to thread jack =]
Old 06-25-2017, 12:39 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I'd sure want a note on the "we owe" sheet or similar that the car, equipped as sold to you, does not have any warranty blocks or modifications that inhibit warranty, something to that effect. Be worth them hooking it up to their Tech2/GDS to make sure the tune is stock as well.

Rest assured it doesn't matter what anyone TELLS you.

Last edited by davepl; 06-25-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:40 PM
Blwnc6
Instructor

Thanks for the input. Going to try and have them hook it up and make sure know tunes.

If you know where there is a 16 2 LZ and don't want to buy it plz let me know. I plan on closing a deal by wednesday
tim
Old 06-25-2017, 02:42 PM
Blwnc6
Instructor

Originally Posted by h3mpking

let me know what you want for if you don't mind
Tim
Old 06-25-2017, 02:57 PM
h3mpking
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

let me know what you want for if you don't mind
Tim
. Zip code?
Old 06-25-2017, 03:49 PM
Blwnc6