C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

I predict the ZR1 will be a failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 12:05 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by irun4cops
I predict the ZR1 will be a failure respectively speaking.
I predict that not a lot of time was spent on English while being home-schooled...of course, respectively speaking.

Enlighten us on how the "failure" you describe will be measured. Is it safe to assume that you believe the C7 Z is also a failure? If so, by what metrics?
Old 07-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Dave Hrejsa
Instructor

Received 198 Likes on 40 Posts

im not in your thread. If i bore you, leave. Pretty simple.

And i work to upgrade these cars. I was one of the first people on this forum to implement the idea of running multiple in tank pumps on the drivers side tank of a C5 along with nick who also invented it on his own. (long before lingenfelter or RHS ever did it)

You have no clue. My criticisms are legit, and if you don't think so, just wait until chevy finally gets off their *** and adds 2 turbos to one of these cars, and when you get all hyped up and cheer like a 4 year old on the way into a disney movie...

remember that was my criticism... that they should have added turbos... on the z06, and especially the ZR1.

That is my complaint. its valid. And youre too stupid to understand what the car does once turbos replace the current blower. You have no clue what youre talking about, you just come in here to dream and pretend you know as you read what those of us who upgrade the cars DO... while you READ.

Don't write here again.

Maybe they are looking at turbos for the next generation car? A mid engine turbo charged Vette would be interesting....
Old 07-03-2017, 12:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I doubt we will see a SC in the ME.
If there is FI, it most likely will be a powerplant similar to McLaren's or Ferrari's 488 (small displacement TT).
I don't believe that GM wants to be in competition with itself(a FE C8 against a ME whatever), thus they want to build two different cars for two different markets.

To me, offer a lower cost front engine(with a large V8) C8 for the existing crowd and then an expensive TT V6 mid engine car for those that love the European cars(and buy the European cars) is what we will see.

For the mid engine car I believe they will use the existing 464 HP TT 3.6L V6 from the ATS-V for the base car, and then a high horsepower(say, 650) TT V6 for those that want to compete with the best that Europe has to offer. Double down on that if a mid engine Cadillac is offered first as Cadillac doesn't want to be known as a rebadged Chevrolet anymore. Cadillac is going after the people that buy European cars, not American made Lincolns, thus they want to be identified alongside the European luxury car manufacturers, and not identified as an "upgraded" rebadged Chevrolet.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:36 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Great! ;)

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Yeah, that probably was a real factor. GM is making the dough now, but when the 7 was in development it was in a different spot.

Interestingly, some manufacturers are using both SC and turbo together, utilizing the former for the low end torque coverage, and the latter to come on-line (and the SC to go off-line) to handle the higher rpm hp production. Doubt we'll see that (there is after all, limited packaging room), but the concept struck me as fairly clever.
GM's not doing anything about their mistakes, but, they are now in the position to do so. Clever you are, and some of us can add!

And

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 07-03-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:39 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I don't believe that GM wants to be in competition with itself(a FE C8 against a ME whatever), thus they want to build two different cars for two different markets.
Of course, Corvette would then become a Brand instead of a Model.
Keep the SC in the C7 FE and use the TT for the C8 ME.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:42 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,496 Likes on 2,284 Posts

Here's Volvo's current supercharged/turbocharged engine:

The following users liked this post:
tbrenny33 (07-04-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 04:02 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Yep, and it seems real!?

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Here's Volvo's current supercharged/turbocharged engine:

The turbo seems to be feeding the SC. Based on the kind of pressure they are developing it must be so. Cool:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-supercharger/

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...y&p=1595070280

Production done like this NSM!
Old 07-03-2017, 04:26 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 500 Likes on 219 Posts

fortunately you have no life, so you come to my thread and play referee
There's no need for that man. You're trying to make a point and I understand, but by undermining and being derogatory towards other members is just not classy. Bottom line, only time will tell in regards do the success and performance numbers of the new ZR1. Until then, everything written is pure speculation and should be treated as such.
Hirohawa (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 04:30 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

I'm predicting that the ZR1 will have the normally aspirated twin cam small block.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:34 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I have no idea what it will have, although if I was betting it would be larger blower 6.2L DI motor, but whatever it is, I think it is high time to announce it. It is also high time to announce a Ring Time unless maybe it is having trouble beating the ZL1 1LE that Chevrolet has over there. It certainly should be an 18 model and it is mid 17 now. Time to sh*t or get off the pot Tadge.
sunsalem (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 07:09 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,785 Likes on 4,199 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Guys, this thread is coming under personal attack. If you don't agree with the OP, you have every right to express you opinion.

What we DON'T need are personal attacks on one another. I've issued Warnings for personal attacks in this thread. If we're done here, I'll just close the thread.
Dave Hrejsa (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 07:14 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fastnow
I bet you most of the racers come hear to rant about overheating ON A RACE TRACK. I bet there's 20 people across the racing world overheating. Who cares! The rest of us enjoy a super car at bargain prices.
Live in the real world and stop dreaming.
All the other supercars have a 4000 dollar extended warranty standard. No one buys Euro cars without them either. Because they break regularly. All you cry babies just want to dump on the car without mentioning the overwelming great points like the ones on top of your heads...grow up!

YOU ARE ALL CORVETTE HATERS YOU DON"T FOOL ANY OF US!

GET LOST!!!

^^^This is where YOU are totally wrong. I been to multiple track days at WSIR where 4 different Z06 Vetts overheated on the SAME day. Including mine.

BTW.....i absolutely love corvettes so dont go there.

Originally Posted by 2fastnow
I bet you most of the racers come hear to rant about overheating ON A RACE TRACK. I bet there's 20 people across the racing world overheating. Who cares! The rest of us enjoy a super car at bargain prices.

i think its okay to call out the clueless, as being wrong. But the personal attacks have no place here. Stick to pictures. Like your post track day pics after a hot day....

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-03-2017 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
sam90lx (07-04-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 07:42 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,218 Likes on 1,787 Posts

I
They were already having overheating issues with the z06.

The only 2 things chevy did right on the zr1, are the wing on the back, and the intakes on the front.

They would have released their Nurburgring times had the car performed well.
This reads like a hater with no solid information to substantiate the opinion.

However, you can not deny the silence from GM is deafening. A release was first rumored for the Auto shows...then the bash in April...than at LeMans. And still, no Nuremberg Ring time?

The lack of release information makes you wonder if something is amiss in development of the ZR1.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:42 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 642 Likes on 360 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

removed my comments

Last edited by firstgear; 07-03-2017 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Can't say anything nice, don't say it!
Old 07-03-2017, 07:43 PM
ZR1North
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks FourOneFive, and others that responded similarly to the original, JUVENILE post. I won't waist any more time commenting on a post that stoops to calling people "idiots" when they have no idea of the bureaucratic context within which these engineers work while producing a world-class product that works extremely well mechanically and within the business model required of a large, mass-production automotive entity. The initial author also needs to spend a few days at Spring Mountain driving the hell out of the '17 Z06 w/o overheating issues (like I did); they have the issues resolved already on the Z06!
Old 07-03-2017, 07:46 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Thought i would also point out. I dont trailer-in to local tracks......

Flatbed of shame pics should say just about all anyone needs to know about the overheating issues.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:17 PM
JEllis1
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think "fixing" the C7Z is a matter of GMs engineering ability but more a matter of money. Re-tooling an assembly line isn't cheap. Additionally, any changes to impact locations, like the bumper/crash bar, of the car may require further crash testing/certifications, complicating any possible "fix" and adding more cost. Costs that can be more easily absorbed when rolled into pre-production/re-tooling that is associated with new platform rollouts.

IF the ZR1 (if its called that) contains cooling fixes for the LT4 in the C7 platform (since its fixed in ZL1), then I would be surprised if GM doesn't offer them to current C7Z owners in their GM performance parts catalog.

I doubt that the ZR1 suffers from the "issues" inherent in the C7Z.

Get notified of new replies

To I predict the ZR1 will be a failure

Old 07-03-2017, 08:56 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,251 Likes on 2,023 Posts

This thread is so sad.
Threads with this level of venom did NOT exist 10 years ago. Did folks complain? Sure. But they didn't stoop to self promotion in attempt to prove how smart they are, while running rough shod over anyone who called them on it. Have an opinion? GREAT. But that's all it is...YOUR OPINION. To call engineers, fellow forum members, etc IDIOTS because they aren't hip to your coolness...well, maybe the OP should re-read his post before hitting "submit reply". We are adults here, the fact that Steven is issuing warnings because folks can't ACT like adults is pretty lame.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:20 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The factory installed Roots blower on my Mercedes has an air-to-air heat exchanger located in front of the radiator.
heat exchanger is not the same as an air to air intercooler, in which the boosted air flows through.

heat exchanger is much less efficient at cooling the boosted air.

For those of you talking about a turbo and a supercharger combo... i agree they exist, but they suck. We've played with the idea already, years ago. It sucks on a vette.

V8 don't need supercharged, they make plenty of torque for first gear. All the SC does is add heat to the equation. Car goes faster by removing it and keeping only the turbo... every time.

Every gear after first gear, you're not running at 2000 rpm, unless you are trying to go slow. Turbos make plenty of torque by 2500rpm. You don't need the torque of the screw blower below 2000rpm. Thus every gear after first, the SC is just in the way, dead weight, adding heat, and robbing crank power. Plenty of other shops have proven this true as well.

For those that say turbos are more expensive to maintain than the superchargers? Sure, if you have tunnel vision...

You missed the part about the engine overheating apparently. You missed the part about chevy being able to charge more money for a higher hp 950hp car that does not overheat and will lap nurburing faster than anyone thought a production car could.

For those of you who say that the c7 is an amazing piece of machinery... sure... but look how much of it was innovated by the creators of the C5.

Thus... my statement stands... the current generation of vette engineers, are idiots... to put it mildly. They are the same caliber of loser that existed with the c4 corvette... a car everyone hated once the c5 came out. That will soon be the story with the c7... once some actual innovative human beings, step back in the room.

If i met the engineers at the top of the c7 program, i would laugh in their face and make fun of them until they left my presence. I mean it when i say this... i feel like i know more about making their cars faster and reliable than they do.

I have a genuine hate for them at this point.

They are either lazy... or they are stupid... or they are both.

Last edited by irun4cops; 07-03-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:24 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

and the mid engine thing is overrated. Im not happy they are doing that either.

The vast majority of you are excited about overrated ideas. Front engine cars are not obsolete.

Last edited by irun4cops; 07-03-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Quick Reply: I predict the ZR1 will be a failure