C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

7:13 'Ring Lap time from the C7 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 12:11 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
interesting. thought the ZL1 was as quick around a track as the GS? that would make the GS mid 7:20's?
The GS wouldn't have near the top speed of the ZL1 at that track but a GS Z07 on Cup tires would have much higher cornering limits and better braking as well. I think the GS would end up being a little quicker.

Last edited by Kappa; 07-16-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:33 AM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

The following was just posted today by a forum member who claims to speak German.
I am just the messenger.

Originally Posted by Z-OH-6 View Post

"First post here ... already reading for a while.

I own a '17 Z06 A8 so I WANT it to be good.

That being said I read the full article in the Sport Auto magazine (one benefit of being born in Germany ) around the 7:13 time on the Nuerburgring. And as good as the time might be - I don't like a the surrounding article at all. First, they throw the M7 under the bus - they say it's nowhere close to the competition. They actually got a modified version from GM that locks 7th gear. Even worse - they had 3 test mules, two M7 and one A8. The M7's dynoed about 30HP short - the A8 120HP(!!!!!) short. I know that's just a dyno number and the proof is on the track - they dyno all cars in the super test and lots and lots actually come in higher!. The acceleration is also pretty bad ... 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 3.8 sec and 0-200 km/h (124 mph) in 12.1 sec. That's nuts for a car with that power! A BMW M4 (in the same issue) with 455hp does it in 4.1 and 13.3 - a Mercedes E63 with 605hp and the weight of a condo blows the Z06 out of the water with 3.5 and 11.5. They claim that had NO overheating issue at all! That's pretty disappointing if you ask me ... please somebody tell me that the euro-spec cars are different ...

Again .. not bashing the Z06 (own one and love it!) ... but still ... WTF?"

Last edited by Hemi Dave; 07-16-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:36 AM
Leonie
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Some rough translations from the article for you, which might clear up some questions brought up here:

- They already made an attempt with an A8 in the past, after pegging the engine oil temperature to 160 degree (320 F), they quit that try, and "GM would not give them an A8 to test on the ring again".
- Jim Mero did an attempt with the same car under the same circumstances, and managed a 7.11, so much for the < 7.10 assumptions.
- The shifting quality of that M7 is - well - not so fine. That seems to be not only the opinion of a german journalist, but also the one of Jim Mero itself, who insisted that all test mules have his "mod", consisting of a small mechanical barrier making it impossible to shift into 7th unintentionally, the sport auto test car was so-equipped also.
- Jim Mero mentioned the third time: they praised him for beeing a really cool car guy, because he even said "please mention these shifting issues, so GM is forced to improve on this issue".
- The seats - well, a neverending story with the Corvette? They tested it with aftermarket racing seats and a brace for the harnesses. For clarification: Porsche made their "official" laptimes also with aftermarket racing seats for safety reasons, although in this case, the racing seats were heavier than the lightest stock seats. The sport auto test of the GT3 though, was made with stock seats.
- Apart from the test, just a general information for those who are not so close into this topic: for a better understanding of the tires of the Corvette - there are Michelin Cup 2`s and then there are Michelin Cup 2´s made for the Corvette. The regular Cup 2 - like on the GT3, the AMG GT-R without the "special option tires", and on some other top-tier sportscars -are the one thing. The "option tires" on the AMG GT-R are with the same thread and mixture like the Corvette ones. AMG does not sell them regularly from the factory, you have to special-order them, and let them be approved individually by the TÜV, to say it simple, AMG does not want you to drive daily with these tires. A sister magazine of sportauto tested the GT-R with the "regular" Cup 2 and the "Corvette" Cup 2 on the small Hockenheim Ring, with a 1.5 sec. difference in laptimes on a sub 1 min 10 sec. lap. Even if you can not upscale from Hockenheim to the ring linear, experienced track drivers in Germany say that this will calculate to about 5 to 6 seconds on the the ring.
But - well, we all know this is "run what 'ya brung", so no criticism on this tire choice by GM, just some information for the nerds...
BTW: the AMG 7.11 was of course driven with the option tires.

Still, what I wanted to say, it is really nice to hear that GM managed such a great result, but - and this is the keyword - if (another keyword) GM could only manage to achieve a laptime without any "ifs" and "buts"...

I will not even mention the duct-taped US license plate on the side of the test car, to open the grille opening for cooling...

Best regards, Bernd
The following 2 users liked this post by Leonie:
Achmed (07-16-2017), topspeedPT (07-16-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 09:41 AM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Leonie
Some rough translations from the article for you, which might clear up some questions brought up here:

- They already made an attempt with an A8 in the past, after pegging the engine oil temperature to 160 degree (320 F), they quit that try, and "GM would not give them an A8 to test on the ring again".
- Jim Mero did an attempt with the same car under the same circumstances, and managed a 7.11, so much for the < 7.10 assumptions.
- The shifting quality of that M7 is - well - not so fine. That seems to be not only the opinion of a german journalist, but also the one of Jim Mero itself, who insisted that all test mules have his "mod", consisting of a small mechanical barrier making it impossible to shift into 7th unintentionally, the sport auto test car was so-equipped also.
- Jim Mero mentioned the third time: they praised him for beeing a really cool car guy, because he even said "please mention these shifting issues, so GM is forced to improve on this issue".
- The seats - well, a neverending story with the Corvette? They tested it with aftermarket racing seats and a brace for the harnesses. For clarification: Porsche made their "official" laptimes also with aftermarket racing seats for safety reasons, although in this case, the racing seats were heavier than the lightest stock seats. The sport auto test of the GT3 though, was made with stock seats.
- Apart from the test, just a general information for those who are not so close into this topic: for a better understanding of the tires of the Corvette - there are Michelin Cup 2`s and then there are Michelin Cup 2´s made for the Corvette. The regular Cup 2 - like on the GT3, the AMG GT-R without the "special option tires", and on some other top-tier sportscars -are the one thing. The "option tires" on the AMG GT-R are with the same thread and mixture like the Corvette ones. AMG does not sell them regularly from the factory, you have to special-order them, and let them be approved individually by the TÜV, to say it simple, AMG does not want you to drive daily with these tires. A sister magazine of sportauto tested the GT-R with the "regular" Cup 2 and the "Corvette" Cup 2 on the small Hockenheim Ring, with a 1.5 sec. difference in laptimes on a sub 1 min 10 sec. lap. Even if you can not upscale from Hockenheim to the ring linear, experienced track drivers in Germany say that this will calculate to about 5 to 6 seconds on the the ring.
But - well, we all know this is "run what 'ya brung", so no criticism on this tire choice by GM, just some information for the nerds...

Still, what I wanted to say, it is really nice to hear that GM managed such a great result, but - and this is the keyword - if (another keyword) GM could only manage to achieve a laptime without any "ifs" and "buts"...

I will not even mention the duct-taped US license plate on the side of the test car, to open the grille opening for cooling...

Best regards, Bernd
Were they testing a 2015/2016 Z06..... or a 2017+ with the improved cooling?
Old 07-16-2017, 09:45 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 880 Likes on 450 Posts

Where can I read said article?
Old 07-16-2017, 12:23 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by keagan
Where can I read said article?

Last edited by TARANTULA; 07-16-2017 at 12:24 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by TARANTULA:
furiousox (07-16-2017), Hemi Dave (07-16-2017), Hirohawa (07-16-2017), Is2scooby (07-26-2017), keagan (07-16-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 12:27 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,118 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Can you translate the article to English for us?
Old 07-16-2017, 12:32 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Nope sorry.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:36 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
C7... Z06....M7...7:13

Thats the best I can do.

Last edited by Hemi Dave; 07-16-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:43 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,118 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave

Thats the best I can do.
Thanks that is GOOD enough for me!
The following users liked this post:
Hemi Dave (07-16-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 12:47 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave

Thats the best I can do.
Nice concise summary! If only local politicians had your ability but this is the "speechifyin" time of year
Hemi Dave (07-16-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 12:51 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

More notes from the article (my German is pretty rusty):

"This particular example we tested was problem-free" (implying others were not)

"This car exhibits neutral handling. Only under very late braking does it exhibit some "push" (understeer)"

"As at Hockenheim, best Nordschliefe results are obtained with TC-Off under nearly all conditions. Even so, the Z06 exhibits unbelievable amount of power and traction coming out of corners"

"And, the car allows very late braking into the apex"

"The Corvette gearbox still falls short of the Porsche gearboxes ease of shifting and precision, and requires significant concentration (and workload) from the driver" [to not botch a shift, upsetting the car-my interpretation]

"Perhaps we could have established a top time for the car had we used the Automatic with its closer ratios and faster shifting. But as it stands now, Corvette will have to be content with winning a new category: fastest Manual equipped [production] car"

From conclusion section (paraphrased)

"I hope we never again face such a complicated and drawn-out test process as we have had with the Z06" and then cites issues with scheduling, the already cited issues with certain cars, and availability of cars from GM. He then refers to the tranny, concluding:
"the issues encountered with shifting are not that big a deal in the scheme of things"
and "overall, team Corvette should be applauded for bringing such a stupendous performance car to market"

Last edited by TTRotary; 07-16-2017 at 01:42 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by TTRotary:
capevettes (07-16-2017), furiousox (07-16-2017), Hemi Dave (07-16-2017), Is2scooby (07-26-2017), keagan (07-16-2017), Lenman59 (07-29-2017), okaythen (07-19-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-16-2017, 01:06 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary

"This car exhibits neutral handling. Only under late braking does it exhibit some "push" (oversteer)"

"I hope we never again face such a complicated and drawn-out test process as we have had with the Z06" and then cites issues with scheduling, the already cited issues with certain cars, and availability of cars from GM. He then refers to the tranny, concluding:
"the issues encountered with shifting are not that big a deal in the scheme of things"
and "overall, team Corvette should be applauded for bringing such a stupendous performance car to market"
Push = understeer
Boba Fett (07-16-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 01:10 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Push = understeer
Yes, sorry. Corrected.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:18 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Leonie

Best regards, Bernd
Thanks for typing all that detail for us.

Question - did they give Jim Mark's actual time or only rounded to the nearest second? I think that would make it the fastest manual record
Old 07-16-2017, 01:19 PM
Flyboy22
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary

"This car exhibits neutral handling. Only under very late braking does it exhibit some "push" (understeer)"

"As at Hockenheim, best Nordschliefe results are obtained with TC-Off under nearly all conditions. Even so, the Z06 exhibits unbelievable amount of power and traction coming out of corners"

"And, the car allows very late braking into the apex"

"Push" is understeer, not oversteer. I actually drove a Z06 off the track at the Spring Mountain doing exactly that. It was bewildering until I analyzed the PDR data pretty closely and concluded that excessive braking stole lateral grip from the front tires mid corner and sent me right off the track. Good lesson learned.

After watching the video, it does appear there is quite a lot of time on the table still... 7:05 is within reach on a perfect lap. Those little slides cost a fair bit of time each and every time. I can't wait to see what the ZR1 can do with another 1000 lb of downforce and a better engine
Old 07-16-2017, 01:20 PM
Jsilvester81
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa
I'm also interested to see what the GrandSport runs as well. Should be a low 7:20 car.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was right on the heels of the C6 ZR1.
it would also be interesting to know how many GS owners actually have the z07 stage 2 car as that would be the most track worthy.

no doubt the GS/z07 is very capable but
$95k for 460hp is a tough pill to swallow
i can't imagine GM making many this loaded.
Might as well get a z06.

but you can spend $90+k for a 4 cylinder Porsche boxter, so it could be worse

Get notified of new replies

To 7:13 'Ring Lap time from the C7 Z06

Old 07-16-2017, 01:57 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Was the 7:11 that Mero did, the only run he did? I wonder how is it that SportAuto can come out and say that time and GM is still hush about it? If 7:11 is the end all for GM then I suppose a lot of us who hoped or guess sub 7:10 is in for some hurt. Lol! Either way the car did great with no issues, so that's a good sign!
Old 07-16-2017, 02:18 PM
G fix needy
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

It's like the 7:13 that didn't get recorded by the ZL1 1LE?
Old 07-16-2017, 02:29 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by G fix needy
It's like the 7:13 that didn't get recorded by the ZL1 1LE?
That works

Quick Reply: 7:13 'Ring Lap time from the C7 Z06