C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Loud BANG from engine @ Highway speeds. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 01:36 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default The luck of the draw!

From my experience if that was a bolt it looks like the head of the bolt which puts the bolt on a slight angle was pointed forward i.e. 'away' from the front of your car/tire so it acted like a mini ramp and flipped up 'after' the tire passed over it hitting the wheel well or side skirt area. I have run over a nail or two along with a couple of smaller/shorter bolts where the head of the nail/bolt was facing 'towards' the front of the car/tire which flapped the nail/bolt into the tire. The last one that speared one of my tires was a new 2 1/2" long nail. A lot of the time it matters how the object is shaped and/or placed. If those bolts or nails had been sideways I would not have gotten the flats.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 07-16-2017 at 01:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Big Lebowski (07-16-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 06:40 PM
Sk8Man_
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Sounds very much to me like a rock striking the windshield. At 84 mph you may not have seen it coming and it may have come from the truck ahead to your right. I recognize the sound as I was once meeting an 18-wheeler (same kind of tuck as that one) going the opposite way, obviously on the opposite side of the road, and just as he is at about a 45-degree angle to me I actually saw the rock come out of his rear dual-tires and come across the road at me like a bullet striking my windshield on the passenger side. I was probably running about 75 to 78 mph and the sound was very much the same, maybe louder than your recording. It left a very small chip in the windshield where it struck and glanced off and looked to be about 2 inches in diameter. If the windshield wasn't so sloped back it would have shattered, I am sure.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:38 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski

I was skeptical it was road debris, because it was so LOUD. Crazy loud,
Like I said, I have had this happen to me.
Most of the time I see it coming, but not always...particularly if I'm not paying close attention.
It really does scare the Holy ***** out of a guy.
And don't worry, it will probably happen again.
Big Lebowski (07-16-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 10:37 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,994 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by Sk8Man_
Sounds very much to me like a rock striking the windshield. At 84 mph you may not have seen it coming and it may have come from the truck ahead to your right.
Sk8man, thanks for the insight. Upon further review it appears it was something on the road that kicked up under the front passenger side tire (I posted a screen grab of it on post #20), and not the windshield. The sound recorded on the video does not do it justice... It sounded like something exploded.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:40 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Like I said, I have had this happen to me.
Most of the time I see it coming, but not always...particularly if I'm not paying close attention.
It really does scare the Holy ***** out of a guy.
And don't worry, it will probably happen again.
The funny thing is, I'm usually scanning for road debris and swerve if I have the room. Didn't even see this one. I could live with out experiencing this again.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:56 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

The funny thing is, I'm usually scanning for road debris and swerve if I have the room. Didn't even see this one. I could live with out experiencing this again.
If it helps at least you get brownie points for helping the rest of us focus more on these road hazards. Like you I am usually scanning for road debris in addition to hazardous drivers but I will try to move usually closer to the always end of the continuum.
Big Lebowski (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 01:10 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

The funny thing is, I'm usually scanning for road debris and swerve if I have the room. Didn't even see this one.
I do too, but all it takes is a blink of an eye to miss it.
I could live with out experiencing this again.
I hear ya...
Old 07-17-2017, 08:27 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

30 minutes into my road trip up North I experienced a yet to be explained VERY loud bang from the front right of the car. As I move into the right lane and approach the semi on my right, you will hear a loud BANG! The top was down, and video does not do it justice. It scared the crap out of me...which is why there is a delay in my expletive.

After a few near miss incidents I began running my PDR regularly, so I captured the attached video with the Bang occurring after 8 seconds...it's hard to miss. I apologize, it is not a direct copy as I have no way of doing so where I am.

I saw no road debris ahead of me or behind me after the bang. Nothing came off the truck. No loss of tire or oil pressure. I was initially concerned it had something to do with the dry-sump. When I pulled off at the next exit I fully expected to find massive damage to something or leaking oil everywhere. Nothing. Nothing to the tires, body, engine compartment, underside (that I can see). I'm at a loss as I don't know what happened. The only thing that appears to happen close to that moment is the car shifts from 6th to 7th...

Needless to say, I drove cautiously after that, keeping an eye on all gauges and I never saw anything change. All things considered, the next 5 1/2 hours were uneventfull. Thinking I must have run over something, I felt I had dodged a bullet. But, after watching the PDR footage when I arrived and did not see any road debris, I became concerned something bigger may be going on.

Has anyone EVER had anything like this happen before?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=Mq9wAA3SCuI
road gator?

Clif
Old 07-17-2017, 10:34 AM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Glad you found what it was, have you pulled the wheel and looked for damage under the car? I hit something like this in my C5 that kicked into the flat floor (which was a composite sandwich) and it was a huge bang that you could feel. I had a nice gouge in the floorboard from below.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:31 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by silver74vette
Glad you found what it was, have you pulled the wheel and looked for damage under the car? I hit something like this in my C5 that kicked into the flat floor (which was a composite sandwich) and it was a huge bang that you could feel. I had a nice gouge in the floorboard from below.
Not yet. I'm on a vacation with family in Northern Michigan, but will have it up on my lift within 10 minutes of getting home. If I find anything, you all will be the next to know. I am curious to see what I find.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:14 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Final update...after all that, I didn't find any significant damage to the underside once I had it up on my lift. Maybe a gash on the underside of the passenger side skirt. IF that was it, the side skirt likely saved me a nice gash on the lower panel or up the side of the passenger door.

I did however pickup this bad boy on the driver side rear tire. Thankfully the bolt was square in the middle of the tread, and Discount Tire here locally does free tire plugs...that and an estimate to replace all four tires after next season.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:19 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Yikes!
Big Lebowski (08-01-2017)

Quick Reply: Loud BANG from engine @ Highway speeds. Ideas?