C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

991 GT3 RS and C7 Z at mid-Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 10:35 PM
sp330
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

The car in the video is an RS and they are $210k+ cars. The GT3 range generally sell above MSRP new or used.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:41 PM
txapezl1
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

Just within the first 2 minutes of the 1st video. Porsche driver was jerky as all get out. Braking too early and staying on the brakes too late coming out of the corner. Smh.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:48 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
It's quite interesting that the journalist who rant the C7Z at the ring was less than a second behind the race car driver in the new GT3. Shows how accessible the C7Z's performance is to the common man. Mero would've put 4 seconds on that journalist easy.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:01 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by lrobe22
Lighten up noob.
Lighten up? How about you "wise up" before you attempt to straighten someone out. You were clearly wrong here.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:27 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You'd have a lot more fun here if you learned how to share opinions without being an emotional basketcase.

Back to relevant discussion. I've preferred PTM Sport 2 over Sport 1 in the Z06 with the gained authority to rotate the car while increasing throttle yet provide a safety barrier for any uncontrolled inputs. I've yet to really try Race in the Z06. The other regulars I participate with have found even Race too intrusive for their liking. In an LT1 car, I've preferred Race.

Last edited by 64drvr; 09-14-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:44 PM
Bigg Slimm
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Back at mid ohio with Cup2 tires

I was back at mid ohio this past weekend and the only change to the car was adding pilot sport cup2 tires. The white 991 gt3 rs in the video is the same car and driver in my previous video. Please excuse the audio as the PDR froze for some strange reason towards the beginning.

I tried working on getting back to the gas sooner, for some reason the carousel didn't seem to have as much grip as 2 weeks prior when I was comfortable staying flat out.

the second video, from the same session, was my fastest lap of the weekend after a cool down lap.

fast lap
Old 10-04-2017, 06:05 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
The GT3 costs twice as much as the Z06 and judging from these videos is an extremely poor value as a track machine.
Not a bad value when you consider the big picture and overall cost of ownership. Check out the pricing of used Porsche GT cars. It's not unusual for them to sell for more than the original MSRP or close to it.

You really need to consider resale/retained value belore making a statement like this. The GT cars really hold thier value. The C7Z, not so much...

I think overall cost of ownership of a Porsche GT car is significantly less than a C7Z.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:18 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Slimm
I was back at mid ohio this past weekend and the only change to the car was adding pilot sport cup2 tires. The white 991 gt3 rs in the video is the same car and driver in my previous video. Please excuse the audio as the PDR froze for some strange reason towards the beginning.

I tried working on getting back to the gas sooner, for some reason the carousel didn't seem to have as much grip as 2 weeks prior when I was comfortable staying flat out.

the second video, from the same session, was my fastest lap of the weekend after a cool down lap.

https://youtu.be/vkk4m__v8mc

fast lap
https://youtu.be/WNFpTGNTt3w
Nice!

What psi were you using cold on the SC2s? And what ever it was, do you think you should probably be running the left front 1-2 psi less?

Bish
Old 10-04-2017, 06:19 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

MUCH, MUCH more better!!! Hell of an improvement. I love seeing those green bars all the way to the top when tracking out. Next area for improvement is braking. You can go quite a bit later before braking just about everywhere. You can tell you're braking early as you're waiting on a number of corners (i.e., you've braked early and slowed the car enough that you're coasting to the apex). Try working on deepening your braking zone and trail braking to the apex.

Theoretically you want to see either "red" or "green" on the data brake and throttle display. Anytime you don't see "any color" you're losing time.

I'm impressed with the improvement shown. You had the Porsche covered and he knows it. He's overdriving the car and driving his mirrors. You can see his car becoming unsettled due to his efforts to stay ahead of you. Hell, his rear is near stepping out a number of times. The only thing saving him from spinning is the PASM. At the same time, you're smooth and in control.

One step at a time...

Rick
Old 10-04-2017, 06:38 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

I love Mid-Ohio. Such a great track and people. FWIW, I have the track race record at Mid-Ohio in PCA racing's GT1 class. I race a fully prepped 997.2 911 Turbo. I think the video below might help you find some time. The lap record lap is lap 6 of the video which starts at the 6:05 minute mark. Interesting enough I turned this fast lap 3/4 of the way through a 90 minute Enduro race. Tires were hot and not at their prime but I was able to knock off a 1:28.5. Would have been a bit quicker but I had to change my line going into T2 due to a slower car.

Again, ONLY posting as I think it might help you find some time. You might also notice there are a couple turns that don't require braking, however, most do.... LOL, It's all in the 1/10's, one here, one there...

Last edited by rikhek; 10-04-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Bigg Slimm
Instructor

Originally Posted by thebishman
Nice!

What psi were you using cold on the SC2s? And what ever it was, do you think you should probably be running the left front 1-2 psi less?

Bish
I use 29 to 30 cold because the tire is rolling over a lot. The left side is usually 1 to 2psi higher. Left front is 30 all others are 29.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:54 PM
Bigg Slimm
Instructor

Originally Posted by rikhek
MUCH, MUCH more better!!! Hell of an improvement. I love seeing those green bars all the way to the top when tracking out. Next area for improvement is braking. You can go quite a bit later before braking just about everywhere. You can tell you're braking early as you're waiting on a number of corners (i.e., you've braked early and slowed the car enough that you're coasting to the apex). Try working on deepening your braking zone and trail braking to the apex.

Theoretically you want to see either "red" or "green" on the data brake and throttle display. Anytime you don't see "any color" you're losing time.

I'm impressed with the improvement shown. You had the Porsche covered and he knows it. He's overdriving the car and driving his mirrors. You can see his car becoming unsettled due to his efforts to stay ahead of you. Hell, his rear is near stepping out a number of times. The only thing saving him from spinning is the PASM. At the same time, you're smooth and in control.

One step at a time...

Rick
thanks.

believe it or not I will be back there again this weekend and I will focus on a couple of things you mentioned. I know I can brake later into turn 1 and at the end of the back straight. I will review the video to see where I'm coasting, most notable going into the chicane.

I have a video following the gt3 in the video along with a buddy of his in another gt3 that's pretty entertaining
Old 10-04-2017, 10:54 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

I use 29 to 30 cold because the tire is rolling over a lot. The left side is usually 1 to 2psi higher. Left front is 30 all others are 29.
Honestly I think these are way to high to start, as you want hot psi to be around 30-32 at all four corners. Try dropping to 26 at every corner except the left front where you should be at 24/25. You want the tyre to “roll over” until it hits the circumferential line the demarcates the tread area from the sidewalk. You can use chalk to help see how far you’re pushing the tyre, although using a high quality tyre pyrometer is by far the best way to measure tyre performance across the tread surface. Takes a little work but worth it. Easier to do with a hot pit helper.

Bish
Old 10-04-2017, 11:04 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Nice!

Bish
Honestly I think these are way to high to start, as you want hot psi to be around 30-32 at all four corners. Try dropping to 26 at every corner except the left front where you should be at 24/25. You want the tyre to “roll over” until it hits the circumferential line the demarcates the tread area from the sidewalk. You can use chalk to help see how far you’re pushing the tyre, although using a high quality tyre pyrometer is by far the best way to measure tyre performance across the tread surface. Takes a little work but worth it. Easier to do with a hot pit helper.

Bish
Interesting. I've done quite a bit of testing and have found the following to work best for me:

MPSC2 and Nitto NT-01 (R Compound tires)
F: 25 cold; 36 hot
R: 27 cold; 36 hot

Pirelli Slicks
F: 22 cold; 30 hot
R: 22 cold; 30 hot

Rick
Old 10-05-2017, 02:33 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Interesting. I've done quite a bit of testing and have found the following to work best for me:

MPSC2 and Nitto NT-01 (R Compound tires)
F: 25 cold; 36 hot
R: 27 cold; 36 hot

Pirelli Slicks
F: 22 cold; 30 hot
R: 22 cold; 30 hot

Rick
Rick I’d take your advice over mine any day of the week as you’re a pro and I’m just a weekend warrior. But for my car, especially at HPT and MAM, it seems that my fastest times are set with the MPSC2s at no more than 32-34 hot. Anything higher and they get ‘greasy’ fast.

Bish
Old 10-05-2017, 03:24 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Rick I’d take your advice over mine any day of the week as you’re a pro and I’m just a weekend warrior. But for my car, especially at HPT and MAM, it seems that my fastest times are set with the MPSC2s at no more than 32-34 hot. Anything higher and they get ‘greasy’ fast.

Bish
Bish,

Sort of strange. I tried them at temps above and below the 36 I finally settled on. I used lap times and "feel" to determine the pressure they are fastest for me. All my testing was done at Hallett. Very rarely does track surface dictate better performance at a different pressure/temperature. I was nearly a second off running 34 pounds.

Only difference between our cars is I believe yours has the Z07 option? This really shouldn't mandate a different pressure. I'm curious what others have found to be their optimum with the Cup 2's.

FWIW, Levitas runs his at 36 hot. I wonder what Sean/Poor-Sha found his to work best. Your lap times indicate you're getting along at a very respectable rate and I'd think you and I would see the best performance at the same temps.

I hope some others will jump in here.

Are you running the DSC Aggressive Street/ Track alignment?

Rick
Old 10-05-2017, 03:45 PM
Bigg Slimm
Instructor

I use to start at 26 cold and work to 33 hot but I was rolling over the tire to much. Now I start at about 30 cold and work to 37 hot. I seem to get my best laps at the end of the session.

i will try to get a pic of the left front tire later.

Get notified of new replies

To 991 GT3 RS and C7 Z at mid-Ohio

Old 10-05-2017, 03:52 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Bish
Bish,

I just checked with Mike to confirm his settings and I was wrong. He runs closer to your settings. He likes 28 cold shooting for 34 - 35 hot. I'll revisit this issue next time I run the Cup 2 ZP's. Mike runs them lower than the Hoosiers but higher than slicks.

I have a set of the Cup 2 ZP's mounted on my 19/20 OEM wheels for backup to my 18" wheels with the Pirelli slicks. If I cord/heat cycle out a Pirelli I can throw the 19/20 Cups on and not miss a session waiting on the Race Shop to mount new slicks.

I know I tried the lower pressure (i.e., 34) as I keep detailed notes. I also know I was running 36 after testing different pressures but maybe I missed the setup.

I'm just not sure when I'll get to run them again as just yesterday a pallet of slicks, 12 tires, was delivered to my house....

I have a track day in a couple of weeks on 10/18 at Hallett. Maybe I'll just throw them on for a session or two.

Thanks for the input. Now you have me second guessing myself and if I'm leaving time on the table.

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 10-05-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:24 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Bish,

I just checked with Mike to confirm his settings and I was wrong. He runs closer to your settings. He likes 28 cold shooting for 34 - 35 hot. I'll revisit this issue next time I run the Cup 2 ZP's. Mike runs them lower than the Hoosiers but higher than slicks.

I have a set of the Cup 2 ZP's mounted on my 19/20 OEM wheels for backup to my 18" wheels with the Pirelli slicks. If I cord/heat cycle out a Pirelli I can throw the 19/20 Cups on and not miss a session waiting on the Race Shop to mount new slicks.

I know I tried the lower pressure (i.e., 34) as I keep detailed notes. I also know I was running 36 after testing different pressures but maybe I missed the setup.

I'm just not sure when I'll get to run them again as just yesterday a pallet of slicks, 12 tires, was delivered to my house....

I have a track day in a couple of weeks on 10/18 at Hallett. Maybe I'll just throw them on for a session or two.

Thanks for the input. Now you have me second guessing myself and if I'm leaving time on the table.

Rick
I’ll be super interested to hear your thoughts when running a few psi less cold, as it makes a difference as you well know. I’m running the aggressive DSC settings btw
Old 10-07-2017, 09:35 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Bish
We've done a lot of tire pressure\temp testing with a quality pyrometer running the MPSC's. I agree with you these tires get greasy when they get over 36 hot. We've ended up with cold 24 to 25 rear and 25 to 26 fronts. If I don't let the car push in the corners my hot numbers are 32 to 33.5 which for my car is great running PB times. With higher pressure numbers we found the center of the tire temps higher than we wanted.

I always use shoe polish to gauge tire roll. Even when starting with lower pressure numbers I still don't get to the circumferential line and short by an 1\8 at least. Front to rear is very consistent too. I would like to know how important it is to get to that tire line on the side wall.

Glad to hear others like using these lower numbers. Most guys seems to be well over 36 hot, doesn't work for me.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (10-07-2017)

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS and C7 Z at mid-Ohio