C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Xpel installer cut my paint...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 01:08 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by FAsnakes
If it were me i’d cut my losses and just leave it alone.
At the very least you got a refund.
I got a partial refund of $3k but that's what it's going to cost me to fix the paint and get the film done elsewhere. In the end, it's just a bunch of wasted time, gas, mileage, and stress to get what I initially paid for. It's whatever though.... I'm going to enjoy the car and get it all fixed after the holidays.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:18 PM
RobertAshby
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cyi1
I got a partial refund of $3k but that's what it's going to cost me to fix the paint and get the film done elsewhere. In the end, it's just a bunch of wasted time, gas, mileage, and stress to get what I initially paid for. It's whatever though.... I'm going to enjoy the car and get it all fixed after the holidays.
I have fought with my installer since botched job during first week of August.
Working thru Xpel headquarters in Texas I was able to get new Xpel ready to apply thru them and a partial refund from " installer" (Ryan Kates, NJ) of $1500.
Check came last week. Sad situation for my 2018 GS with less than a 100 miles on it at the time and over 3000 mile drive home in front of me.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:22 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

What is involved with repairing the cut clearcoat?
Old 11-21-2017, 01:28 PM
cyi1
Drifting

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 383vett
What is involved with repairing the cut clearcoat?
Not completely sure. I'll take a look at the estimate later. I went to 2 Chevy dealer body shops and got quoted $1490/1500. I believe it was remove film + paint/blend/clear? They're also pretty sure that once they remove this film on there now that there will be more cuts since the bottom parts of the panels appear to all be trimmed.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:59 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Not completely sure. I'll take a look at the estimate later. I went to 2 Chevy dealer body shops and got quoted $1490/1500. I believe it was remove film + paint/blend/clear? They're also pretty sure that once they remove this film on there now that there will be more cuts since the bottom parts of the panels appear to all be trimmed.
If the cut areas will be covered with the new expel, will they be visible? If the new expel masks the cut areas and renders them invisible, maybe just leave it alone and not risk another can of worms.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:48 PM
cyi1
Drifting

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

If the cut areas will be covered with the new expel, will they be visible? If the new expel masks the cut areas and renders them invisible, maybe just leave it alone and not risk another can of worms.
The cuts from the shops 2nd attempt at xpel is visible right now currently. The bumper cut is half an inch away from the film now and easily visible. The fender cut is a long and visible black line that you can see 2/3 of next to the current film and it extends under the film and can be seen through the film close up.

If they just removed the current film and installed new film correctly, you'd see the cuts under the film.

I won't know if the film can be installed to mask the cuts until this current film is removed to see if there are more cuts. Even so, the bumper cut is pretty far from the edge so a proper install wouldn't go along the edge of it.

Last edited by cyi1; 11-21-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:16 PM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

I am sorry to hear about your install. Mine was a fantastic job here in Indy. I hope you get everything corrected and fully reimbursed. Keep us informed.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:33 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,277 Likes on 795 Posts

Waow, amazing. How is that possible? I have seen that in the USA, xpel is very expensive, more expensive than in France. I thought it was impeccable work, considering the very high price. Here, the film is cut beforehand by computer following the car but never cut on the car, never. Look for such an installer, even if it's more expensive.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:30 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,567 Likes on 861 Posts

So maybe a silly question why not remove the xpel yourself, I did it on my front bumper when I had to get it replaced and although it takes some effort it can be done. This way you save on the cost of someone else doing it and you can check out the whole car easier to see just how many cuts there are. Just a thought.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:31 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Some use precut panels, some use on the job precut panels that allow a bit of overage to be cut and some use actual rolls of wrap and cut on the car. My neighbor has a wrap company and he says the guy that taught him how to cut the wrap taught them how to do it, then demonstrated by laying wrap on his arm and starting at the crook of his elbow cut the sheet in half down to his wrist. No blood. He was pretty impressed. Some of these guys have not taken that class. Also an exacto cut can be repaired on the car. But again it takes a professional. Spend some time on Youtube watching AmmoNYC's videos. His work is totally amazing. The things he can repair on exotics without a panel repaint can't be imagined.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:43 PM
RobertAshby
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

XPEL factory trains each installer and certifies they know how to do the job right.
Sad when installer ruins install and does not have to answer for it thru company that has you use their trained installers.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:26 PM
cyi1
Drifting

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I'm not sure what this company uses. It looks pre-cut because some corners flow perfectly with the body lines but the same panel will have a corner that looks butchered to hell. I always thought xpel was pre-cut and installed on each panel but every install from this car has had different results on every panel.

I supposed at this point I can remove the film myself, but I told myself to forget about it until after the holidays. I've been stressing over it for the last 2 months and it's been a pain in the *** having 1 day off a week and dedicating it every week to dropping off or picking up my car from this shop.

Once I remove the film, assess the damage, get it in the shop or try to fix it at a detail shop without painting like the above user posted (videos by AMMO), and get it taken to derek at Atlanta protective films. It gives me anxiety even thinking about having to take care of all this every Monday(my only day off) for a month or two.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:03 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles

I think that before entrusting a car of this price, rather than a telephone interview, it is better to take and be wasting time traveling by surprise visit and realizing on the spot. consult with people who have already done this work in the store you want to choose. That's what I would do.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:40 PM
dkz
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I would avoid respraying the panels and just have a detailer try to minimize the damage. i've had my car dinged and respraying has it's own headaches too even when done by the so called pros.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:08 PM
mowe
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 108 Posts

To the OP

i am truly sorry for your experience. I have used shine auto on all 5 of my cars and have never had an issue.

Good luck with everything !
Old 01-18-2018, 11:27 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

I had the entire front of the corvette covered, including the fenders,and all the aero parts around. The guy used an Xpel equivalent, much cheaper, US made. Everything was cut by digital machine as in a textile factory. the most impressive is the film around the Corvette logo, stealth !
Old 01-18-2018, 12:40 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Such BS! I took mine to the dealer and my installer came to the dealership and did the whole deal in one afternoon. Perfect no issues. This guy owes you a lot and next time just know no more than 1-2 days to install or sometime is a miss hope you get your money back!

Get notified of new replies

To Xpel installer cut my paint...

Old 01-18-2018, 12:57 PM
Cercone
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I couldn’t live with that...I learned the hard way(like you), just paint as needed and save your money. I’ve had two rock chips in the last 7 years driving at least 35k miles a year. Sorry for that bs work you had done.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:19 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Just one more reason why I used Expel once but will never use it again.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:40 PM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow! What a sad story this is. Feel bad for the OP. After reading this thread I will never get a wrap or Expel install. It’s just not worth the risk and aggravation. Thanks for the education OP.

Quick Reply: Xpel installer cut my paint...