C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

'14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 04:18 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
But if you want to upgrade a 2014-2015 to the IO6(which would need to be the 2016 version) and add Apple Car Play you will have to deal with losing Drive Mode and PDR.
I want to be very clear here. You do not lose your drive modes. You can still change the car's performance settings and cluster displays using the center console ****, and you can still customize which cluster displays are shown by using the steering wheel controls and the menus built into the cluster.

The only menu you lose is the one in the center screen under "Settings > Drive Mode" that lets you customize when the exhaust is loud, and which level of steering effort is used. If you do not have this menu, then your exhaust and steering continue to be controlled by whichever drive mode is selected using the center console ****.

You lose a customization option for steering and exhaust, and this only affects Z51 and Z06. Base cars never had this menu to begin with. You do not lose the drive modes themselves.

My 2014 never had PDR, so I can't speak to that. The PDR icon is still shown on cars that upgraded to 2016 IO6, but I don't know if it works any more. I can also confirm that my car now has the icon for the front parking cameras, but pressing it does nothing because I don't have any of the related hardware. Not that I expected it to do anything, but at least it doesn't cause the system to crash or something.

V2.0 is an IO5 and v2.5 is an IO6
This is not correct. As of today, there are 3 versions of HMI. 1.1, 2.0, and 2.5. Those numbers have nothing to do with IO5 or IO6. The module I installed was a HMI 2.5 IO5 unit. If you really want to mess things up, there's IO4 and IOB versions of these modules too.

1.1 was used in 2013 and some 2014 cars. Mostly Cadillacs.

2.0 was used in 2014-2015. It was mostly an engineering change and didn't offer any significant new features vs 1.1.

2.5 was a major hardware upgrade. Android Auto and Carplay require faster processors and more memory. This is why you can't just add those features to the older modules with software alone.

The only hardware difference between IO5 and IO6, regardless of HMI version, is whether or not the navigation GPS hardware is installed on the circuit board. You can tell if an HMI has navigation or not by looking for a small round, blue connector on the outside of the case to the far left of all the other connectors.

IO5 module. Comes in 1.1, 2.0 and 2.5 varieties:

IO6 module. Comes in 1.1, 2.0 and 2.5 varieties:

Just to make things worse, there's IO4 and IOB versions of these modules. The only way to know for sure is to check the part number.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:57 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by monicatomokc
Actually, RPO codes I05 and I06 started with MY2015 (MY2014 RPO code was "RAO" for no-NAV and "UY4" for with-NAV) The HMI module that I pulled out under the "RAO" RPO code was v2.0. The MY2016 I05 HMI module I replaced it with has v2.5 on it, even though it does not have factory NAV. MY2015 started the I05 and I06 RPO codes which signify without Nav (I05) and with Nav (I06). The I06 not only gives you Nav, it also gives you the PDR capability that was not an option in 2014. So, technically, I went from "RAO" to a 2016 "I05" system to get Apple CarPlay; which by-the-way, has been working fine now. My primary purpose for doing this was to get the maps (Nav) which meets by needs just fine. The other phone and text capabilities are just an added benefit, along with the "I Heart Radio" capability.
So since I have a 2015 that came with Nav and PDR, does this mean I already have an IO6 module and can add Apple Car Play without breaking anything else?

This is all contrary to what I have read, but I'm going to go re-read to make sure I didn't misinterpret.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:06 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Yes, you have IO6. Check your RPO label in the trunk if you want to be certain.

The problem is, you have an HMI 2.0 and not a 2.5. Stick your head under the dash and look above the hood release cables. Or put your camera in selfie mode and use it like a mirror. The numbers on the module are huge, so you shouldn't have any trouble reading it. Yours will say NG 2.0 HMI.

You need 2.5 and you need a new radio too.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:20 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Yes, you have IO6. Check your RPO label in the trunk if you want to be certain.

The problem is, you have an HMI 2.0 and not a 2.5. Stick your head under the dash and look above the hood release cables. Or put your camera in selfie mode and use it like a mirror. The numbers on the module are huge, so you shouldn't have any trouble reading it. Yours will say NG 2.0 HMI.

You need 2.5 and you need a new radio too.
This is also different from what I have heard. I heard you only need to replace the modules in the passenger and driver foot wells?
Old 03-06-2018, 05:25 PM
Pckrfan795
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

You need a HMI and a Radio Control Module
Old 03-06-2018, 05:25 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
This is also different from what I have heard. I heard you only need to replace the modules in the passenger and driver foot wells?
Those are the modules in the drivers and passenger's footwells. HMI is on the driver's side above the hood release, and radio is under the carpet on the passenger's side, up against the firewall.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:42 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Those are the modules in the drivers and passenger's footwells. HMI is on the driver's side above the hood release, and radio is under the carpet on the passenger's side, up against the firewall.
Gotcha, so at this point there is no way to update a 3LT with Nav and have everything work 100% is what your saying correct?? I just wanted to add car play.

Last edited by ssidekickbp; 03-06-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:52 PM
itch808
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

I want to be very clear here. You do not lose your drive modes. You can still change the car's performance settings and cluster displays using the center console ****, and you can still customize which cluster displays are shown by using the steering wheel controls and the menus built into the cluster.

The only menu you lose is the one in the center screen under "Settings > Drive Mode" that lets you customize when the exhaust is loud, and which level of steering effort is used. If you do not have this menu, then your exhaust and steering continue to be controlled by whichever drive mode is selected using the center console ****.

You lose a customization option for steering and exhaust, and this only affects Z51 and Z06. Base cars never had this menu to begin with. You do not lose the drive modes themselves.
Am I correct in thinking it will just remember the last setting chose? For example exhaust can be set "OFF" and steering "Auto, linked to drive mode." and it would keep these forever? It's sad that we would spend $1500 to gain AA/Carplay functionality but LOSE other functionalities.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:53 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
Gotcha, so at this point there is no way to update a 3LT with Nav and have everything work 100% is what your saying correct?? I just wanted to add car play.
If you want 100%, then no. Confirmed problems are the Drive Mode menu and steering controls during AA/Carplay calls. There may be problems with PDR on the 2015s, but that's unconfirmed.

Mine is a 2014 2LT that didn't have nav or PDR, and losing the drive mode menu was an acceptable trade off to gain AA and Google Maps. Pandora over USB seems louder and clearer than bluetoooth, but maybe that's a placebo effect.

I have one other idea I might try to fix the missing functions, but I run the risk of bricking my HMI module If I can line up another cheap one, I may try it just for the hell of it. Don't get your hopes up though.
The following users liked this post:
Flame Red (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 06:06 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by itch808
Am I correct in thinking it will just remember the last setting chose? For example exhaust can be set "OFF" and steering "Auto, linked to drive mode." and it would keep these forever? It's sad that we would spend $1500 to gain AA/Carplay functionality but LOSE other functionalities.
It might work that way, but I'm not sure. It might only stay until the next time the battery is disconnected.
Flame Red (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 06:10 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

If you want 100%, then no. Confirmed problems are the Drive Mode menu and steering controls during AA/Carplay calls. There may be problems with PDR on the 2015s, but that's unconfirmed.

Mine is a 2014 2LT that didn't have nav or PDR, and losing the drive mode menu was an acceptable trade off to gain AA and Google Maps. Pandora over USB seems louder and clearer than bluetoooth, but maybe that's a placebo effect.

I have one other idea I might try to fix the missing functions, but I run the risk of bricking my HMI module If I can line up another cheap one, I may try it just for the hell of it. Don't get your hopes up though.
Thanks for all the info. Mine is a 2015 3LT Z51
Old 03-06-2018, 07:48 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

The company I spoke with said that PDR would not work in 2015 cars with this mod.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:10 PM
redvetteman97
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Up date hmi

yes I just did mine last week 2015 no nav I bought on eBay now I have apple car play texting voice texting
Old 03-06-2018, 08:37 PM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

The company I spoke with said that PDR would not work in 2015 cars with this mod.
Hopefully they understood that you currently have the PDR. You were saying in an earlier post that you had an I05 and wanted to upgrade to an I06 and that you had the PDR. Well, you cannot have a PDR with the I05 because it only comes with the I06 that needs factory Nav to function. So if the company thinks you have an I05, they would be correct. If you call them back and say you want to just go from a 2015 I06 to a 2016 I06 just to get Apple CarPlay/AA, they "might" change their tune.

Don't know which company you're dealing with, but here is the company I dealt with back in November 2016 when I bought mine. When I called them they seemed quite knowledgeable on all this upgrade stuff at the time.

http://stores.ebay.com/SPEEDOMETER-S...=p4634.c0.m322
Old 03-06-2018, 11:58 PM
socratesis
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff V., that is some great information on the information path. That makes a lot of sense... I need a how to on the gague cluster install to see if it will solves the steering wheel controls. This thread has some great information...
Old 03-07-2018, 12:16 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Installing the cluster shouldn't require more than a couple of steps past doing a carbon fiber dash install.

Programming it is another matter entirely.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:24 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Don't know which company you're dealing with, but here is the company I dealt with back in November 2016 when I bought mine. When I called them they seemed quite knowledgeable on all this upgrade stuff at the time.

What year car do you have? Z51 or Z06? Did you Nav and/or PDR? Which combo from Speedometer Sales did you install?

Get notified of new replies

To '14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI

Old 03-07-2018, 09:58 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Hopefully they understood that you currently have the PDR. You were saying in an earlier post that you had an I05 and wanted to upgrade to an I06 and that you had the PDR. Well, you cannot have a PDR with the I05 because it only comes with the I06 that needs factory Nav to function. So if the company thinks you have an I05, they would be correct. If you call them back and say you want to just go from a 2015 I06 to a 2016 I06 just to get Apple CarPlay/AA, they "might" change their tune.

Thank you for the clarification! They actually did think I have the IO5. I'm going to double check my RPO code today that it says IO6.

Originally Posted by Flame Red
What year car do you have? Z51 or Z06? Did you Nav and/or PDR? Which combo from Speedometer Sales did you install?
If it matters, mine is a late 2015 Z51 with PDR and Nav.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:03 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Originally Posted by redvetteman97
yes I just did mine last week 2015 no nav I bought on eBay now I have apple car play texting voice texting
Did you lose the drive mode selector in the menu?
Old 03-07-2018, 10:14 AM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Flame Red; I received your PM with the questions and since you asked here as well, I will respond here for all to see.

First, I have a 2014 Stingray Convertible, 1LT, without the Z51 option, that did not come with Nav, PDR was not available in 2014, and no mag-ride. Only 5 options:
Carbon Flash Hood Stripe
Custom Caliper Color - Red
Z51 Style Spoiler-Carbon Flash
Exhaust, Multi-Mode Performance
Battery Protection Package

I purchased this HMI kit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-15-FACTO...item33bb0f17a2

You'll notice that they no longer show this as compatible for the 2014/2015 Corvette and I assume this is because they discovered later that several of the features/functions (talked about in this thread) were lost for those with the Z51 option and the 2015 Z06.

Here is my experience that I posted back in 2016 that pushed me into doing all this:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-for-nav.html

Good luck and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Tom S.
Flame Red (03-08-2018)

Quick Reply: '14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI