C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

'14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 12:03 PM
itch808
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
UGH! Just wanted to make sure I got this right. You ordered some cheaper (than $1400) unit and they did not ship it to you and told you it would not work and so they did a complete refund?

You ordered some other cheaper one and did not order this one:

https://www.infotainment.com/collect...ant=1025047957

I am going to email them back and get a clarification. If all I loose is the settings described here, I'm ok with it. But if I loose the PDR I want a complete refund. I'm not willing to do a $210 experiment for them.

The other question I have is, does AA/Carplay work through Bluetooth or just USB? Or do only the 2019 cars support Android Auto through Bluetooth?
I ordered their unit through ebay at the time when there was a significant discount (15% off). The listing didn't state anything about an updated module and it was being sold by infotainment. I am not sure about the PDR functionality as I have a '14.

AA/Carplay doesn't work on any cars through bluetooth AFAIK, USB is the main connection. However, AA has just updated recently being the first to allow functionality wireless functionality (through wifi) on specific cars/headunits. There are not many cars with the hardware equipped to do this yet and only Nexus/Pixel devices are supported presently--I'm sure this will expand shortly to other phones as that is mostly software related on the mobile end. I personally would be disappointed about losing drive mode functionality as I can't stand the loose steering in touring mode and usually default it to sport or track. NPP and exhaust noise is not something I'm enthusiastic about giving up with the "upgrade."
The following users liked this post:
Flame Red (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 12:18 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I could swear I remember someone saying on a fairly recent thread on this forum they got AA to work via BT but of course I could not find that and I have no idea what year car they had. But searching the internet, it does appear that the 2016 needed a USB connection for AA. Perhaps some later year supports that.

Now I am beginning to think it is not worth $1400 given the risks.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:27 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Jeff V. Can you confirm for me if the PDR still works fine and post a video on the speed at which icons and such load??? Thank you!!!
Old 04-14-2018, 02:30 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

I have a 2014. So no PDR regardless of which HMI I have installed. I'll try to take a video later today.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:30 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
I have a 2014. So no PDR regardless of which HMI I have installed. I'll try to take a video later today.
Awesome, thanks!
Old 04-14-2018, 07:39 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Go easy on me. This is the first time I've done anything on YouTube.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff V.:
dmaxx3500 (04-15-2018), itch808 (04-15-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 07:55 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Thanks! That definitely is faster than mine. There's no lag at all really!

Now if only I can confirm if there's a way to upgrade mine and have my PDR still work. That's my biggest fear.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:47 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Also Jeff, that's odd to me that there is a camera icon but no PDR icon? Or is that just a blank on yours cause there is no PDR??? Is that camera icon just for the 16 and up front cameras?? Like why wouldn't the PDR icon show up as blank too?? Now I'm really confused.

Last edited by ssidekickbp; 04-14-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Freerider969 (09-08-2021)
Old 04-15-2018, 09:59 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

I went with the IO5 hardware, and I programmed it accordingly. You only get PDR with IO6.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:29 AM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

I went with the IO5 hardware, and I programmed it accordingly. You only get PDR with IO6.
So in theory if I have the IO6 hardware, and replace everything else I should be fine other than shelling out $1400.00 for everything I need.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:45 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
So in theory if I have the IO6 hardware, and replace everything else I should be fine other than shelling out $1400.00 for everything I need.
That's how it should work.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:54 AM
itch808
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks Jeff V for the video, really demonstrates the improved touch response. If I could replicate your deal and reprogram the head unit myself then I would be able to justify it to myself losing drive mods and nav (I have factory Nav). I was surprised that you were able to retain HD radio as others made it seem like you would also be giving this up with AA/CP update. In my area HD radio is abundant and I use it quite a bit. Sadly, it seems like infotainment and digital-dash-solutions are the only two options who will reprogram unit for the C7, meaning 1k+ for the update.

How did you have access to the equipment to reprogram the headunit?

Last edited by itch808; 04-15-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:24 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Jeff, thank you very much for that video. That really helped me understand better! Fantastic vid.

One question. It looks like your On-Star is greyed out? My '15 came with 5 years of On-Star and I do use it for remote start and unlock car. Did you remove Onstar? I hope I would not loose that.

My other question is about XM which I have a subscription to. I did not see that present.

Yours is MUCH more responsive than mine. So since I have NAV, I probably have IO6 already. Still not sure if I would loose PDR. That would suck.I'll email them again, but I think they will just give me the yeah, yeah BS that I'll loose nothing and the risk is mine for the 15% restocking fee for returns.

As far as the exhaust and steering drive mode settings, that video made it really clear. I use them as GM defaulted, so I would not miss them at all.

You are quite correct about the camera's. I installed the '16 dual camera grille with my aftermarket setup and it really sucked. I got all the '16 schematics for Delco's shop web site and there are extra modules and harnesses that are necessary to get the camera to work. It would be a massive thing to retrofit. I eventually disconnected the cameras and just went with a high quality single camera in the grill and it is much better.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:53 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Jeff, thank you very much for that video. That really helped me understand better! Fantastic vid.

One question. It looks like your On-Star is greyed out? My '15 came with 5 years of On-Star and I do use it for remote start and unlock car. Did you remove Onstar? I hope I would not loose that.

My other question is about XM which I have a subscription to. I did not see that present.

Yours is MUCH more responsive than mine. So since I have NAV, I probably have IO6 already. Still not sure if I would loose PDR. That would suck.I'll email them again, but I think they will just give me the yeah, yeah BS that I'll loose nothing and the risk is mine for the 15% restocking fee for returns.

As far as the exhaust and steering drive mode settings, that video made it really clear. I use them as GM defaulted, so I would not miss them at all.

You are quite correct about the camera's. I installed the '16 dual camera grille with my aftermarket setup and it really sucked. I got all the '16 schematics for Delco's shop web site and there are extra modules and harnesses that are necessary to get the camera to work. It would be a massive thing to retrofit. I eventually disconnected the cameras and just went with a high quality single camera in the grill and it is much better.

Flame, I have a 2015 Z51 3LT so it has PDR and Nav already. Since I already have the IO6, I think I'm gonna but the rest and it should keep PDR?

I assume you have PDR and Nav as well so we are essentially in the same boat.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:19 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
Flame, I have a 2015 Z51 3LT so it has PDR and Nav already. Since I already have the IO6, I think I'm gonna but the rest and it should keep PDR?

I assume you have PDR and Nav as well so we are essentially in the same boat.
Yes, sounds like we both have the same configuration. I don't know if PDR, XM and Onstar will still work afterwards. I read this thread and others about 10 times and there seems conflicting information. On the one hand:

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
The company I spoke with said that PDR would not work in 2015 cars with this mod.
and on the other hand:

Originally Posted by monicatomokc
Hopefully they understood that you currently have the PDR. You were saying in an earlier post that you had an I05 and wanted to upgrade to an I06 and that you had the PDR. Well, you cannot have a PDR with the I05 because it only comes with the I06 that needs factory Nav to function. So if the company thinks you have an I05, they would be correct. If you call them back and say you want to just go from a 2015 I06 to a 2016 I06 just to get Apple CarPlay/AA, they "might" change their tune.

Don't know which company you're dealing with, but here is the company I dealt with back in November 2016 when I bought mine. When I called them they seemed quite knowledgeable on all this upgrade stuff at the time.

http://stores.ebay.com/SPEEDOMETER-S...=p4634.c0.m322
I went through this with Speedometer Sales and Service and the lady there (I forget her name) actually had blocked me on Fleabay from purchasing this unit based on my questions. After talking to her on the phone, she stated the same thing that Jeff V. did that you loose the Drive Mode settings and most Vette people would be upset with that and so she blocks people that inquire about it with our configuration. She also confirmed that base 1LT cars their upgrade does work perfectly since they do not have exhaust or steering settings to start.

I was going to try to email infotainment.com back again and specifically ask them if they will wave their 15% restocking fee if this $1400 upgrade breaks PDR, XM or OnStar. I don't care about the drive mode settings since I use the default GM ones. So I am assume those will be MIA just like Jeff's video shows even though Infotainment.com says I'll loose NOTHING.

I really wish I could do this on the "cheap" like Jeff did but I am several levels below Jeff skill level. I'm a decent parts swapper but this stuff is confusing as heck and I don't know anyone local that can program the VIN into these modules for me on the cheap.

If I had a local friend that had the GM programmer tool setup I would be ecstatic to pay them the $250 for the right used (non-vette) compatible HMI and be happy to give them $500 pocket money to program it to my VIN, but I don't.

Last edited by Flame Red; 04-15-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:27 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Yes, sounds like we both have the same configuration. I don't know if PDR, XM and Onstar will still work afterwards. I read this thread and others about 10 times and there seems conflicting information. On the one hand:and on the other hand:I was going to try to email infotainment.com back again and specifically ask them if they will wave their 15% restocking fee if this $1400 upgrade breaks PDR, XM or OnStar. I don't care about the drive mode settings since I use the default GM ones. So I am assume those will be MIA just like Jeff's video shows even though Infotainment.com says I'll loose NOTHING.

I really wish I could do this on the "cheap" like Jeff did but I am several levels below Jeff skill level. I'm a decent parts swapper but this stuff is confusing as heck and I don't know anyone local that can program the VIN into these modules for me on the cheap.
Yes, I would think if you supply them with the right VIN, everything should work as we have the IO6 but want to retain our PDR's. That's the bottom line of what we need to find out.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:39 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by itch808
Thanks Jeff V for the video, really demonstrates the improved touch response. If I could replicate your deal and reprogram the head unit myself then I would be able to justify it to myself losing drive mods and nav (I have factory Nav). I was surprised that you were able to retain HD radio as others made it seem like you would also be giving this up with AA/CP update. In my area HD radio is abundant and I use it quite a bit. Sadly, it seems like infotainment and digital-dash-solutions are the only two options who will reprogram unit for the C7, meaning 1k+ for the update.

How did you have access to the equipment to reprogram the headunit?
If you use the 'correct' 2016 Corvette radio module, you lose HD. But I took a gamble and used the part number mentioned in the Cadillac ATS-V Android/Apple upgrade bulletin. It interchanges with a few different GM vehicles. Mine actually came out of a Silverado.

As far as the tools, I bought my MDI on eBay. I got lucky and found an authentic one on some flea market type eBay store and the seller had it listed as "GM scan tool" or some similar generic nonsense. I stumbled on it and was the only bidder. I got it cheaper than the Chinese clones.

I bought my car used and never signed up for OnStar. I'd assume it's grayed out because my OnStar module doesn't have active service. The XM is still there. You just need to press the Radio button to change bands. FM/AM/XM. I don't have service for that since I use Pandora. The screen loads and shows the preview channel, but it doesn't play any audio because the satellites are blocked while it's indoors. I think the only terrestrial repeaters in KC are closer to downtown. I'll try to remember to test it next time I have it out of the garage.

Eh, it's not really a fair comparison. I spent a few years in a job where I worked with this stuff daily. Fortunately GM hasn't changed much since those days. Honestly, getting the radio module out and replaced was way worse than the actual programming side of things.

Get notified of new replies

To '14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI

Old 04-17-2018, 12:50 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

UPDATE!!! Here's what I was told:
Attached Images  

Last edited by ssidekickbp; 04-17-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:43 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

BTW, I confirmed XM works. At least on the preview channel.

Flame Red (04-18-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 03:24 PM
hairymeister
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Temptng. I have a 2015 3LZ Z06... with PDR.

Quick Reply: '14/'15 Z51, Z06 Owners - Chime in if you updated your HMI