C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Any advice, new to Corvettes...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 11:00 PM
C7GrandSportC7
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolin98
I am not positive I am writing this in the right section or not so Mods please move if need be.
I've never been into v8's or corvettes for that matter, but I'm thinking about taking the plunge.
I'm a HUGE fan of forced induction, normally turbos. When the c7 first came out I fell in love with it, been in love with it since. I'm really considering purchasing a c7z. I've been floating on this forum for months, just signed up today.
I wanted to see if anyone had advice for me before buying one. I want to get a new one, but my budget is about 75k. I refuse to buy used, it has to be new.
Some things I plan on doing if I find one in my price range
-Have the car street aligned
-Install rear air duct covers along with front wheel rock guards
-Put some clear protective film on the mirrors and rear quarter panels
-500 mile oil change

Any other advice for me?
I'm going to be honest, I'm getting a car that I probably shouldn't be getting, its literally tapping the budget. I cant afford a 4k exhaust and 2k intake, but I love the car and I really want one.
Buy a 2017 off the lot, they are for sale at enormous discount. Even the 2018 leftovers are getting massively discounted as thee 2019's roll in. Better yet, buy a Grand Sport fully loaded, it makes no sense going for the 650 HP motor. You can even drop in FI at a later date if you want to.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:55 AM
SLEEKVET
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. This is an expensive purchase so get what you want and be patient so you don't later wish you would have not compromised on an option.
Get a 2017 2LZ w/PDR or 3LZ at a discount, new or very low miles, it will be tight, but close to your budget. I would rather get ALL the features I want by maybe going very lightly used. I see cars with 1,000 miles on them discounted because they are "used" but that is barely used. Either way you'll get a warranty and may fit your budget. Just consider the insurance, tax & license on the car as well since you have a tight budget. All will be lower when purchasing used.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:17 AM
CallawayC
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

It's all relative to what you want.

I wanted a Z06 convertible, and was looking for a specific color combo and the highest available trim level. It was extremely difficult to come even close to a new one without spending close to 6 figures. I searched and searched and searched for months, and finally found a 15 3LZ Z06 package with every possible option white vert with red comp seats and carbon ceramics for $65k at a Mercedes dealer that they literally just took in on trade. Asking was $69k and I paid less than that out the door after taxes and fees.....

Be patient and get what you want. As aforementioned, this is an expensive purchase - you want to be as happy as you can possibly be. Don't settle.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:35 PM
spoolin98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Getting anything other than a z06 is kind of out of the question. The stingray doesn’t apeal to me as much.

I have searched and really can’t find anything that has what I want for the price I want.
I ended up going to the dealership to talk numbers on a 2019 Z06 2lz. After dealing with about 5 different dealers I think I’ve found a dealer with a pretty fair price.
They don’t have what I want so they will have to order it, good thing is I can get it exactly how I want. When I built the car online I don’t really want any options besides 2lz, black wheels, and yellow calipers. Does anyone have any suggestions for options that are a must have that I am missing?

For those of you who are wondering, I can get it out the door for $80,700

Everywhere I read people talk about the PDR. I read about it in on chevys website and I think I’m going to order the car without it. Can anyone explain to me why I should get it? Is there something about it that the website doesn’t tell you?
i just don’t get what all the hype is about.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:51 AM
Chi_weezy
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

That sounds like a great deal. I have the PDR and I’ve never used it lol. I don’t really get the hype but I’ve never messed with it and only had the car a couple months.

I have a 15’ 2LZ Z07 M7 with 1600 miles. I abs love this gearbox. And one of my favorite things about this car, besides everything, is the alcantara wrapped steering wheel and shifter. And the performance seats with the alcantara centers. I do miss not having the CF interior package I think that’s pretty nice. I would almost still advise waiting for the right low mileage used car if you can’t afford all the nice options
Old 03-15-2018, 07:30 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,001 Likes on 1,150 Posts

In a nut shell around PDR.........save the $1700 and look to a 3rd party camera....Blackvue is very popular, assuming you need or want a camera. Even if you track the car there are cheaper and better alternatives.
The following users liked this post:
spoolin98 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 07:57 AM
spoolin98
Pro

Originally Posted by Chi_weezy
That sounds like a great deal. I have the PDR and I’ve never used it lol. I don’t really get the hype but I’ve never messed with it and only had the car a couple months.

I have a 15’ 2LZ Z07 M7 with 1600 miles. I abs love this gearbox. And one of my favorite things about this car, besides everything, is the alcantara wrapped steering wheel and shifter. And the performance seats with the alcantara centers. I do miss not having the CF interior package I think that’s pretty nice. I would almost still advise waiting for the right low mileage used car if you can’t afford all the nice options
At the prices I have seen for used I can get brand new for around the same price. So many people bought new at way higher prices, there are a ton of used ones out there priced at the cost of a new one.
There aren’t any options I want that I’m not getting when I order. I just wanted to make sure I’m not missing anything special by skipping the PDR and see if anyone had other suggestions for options that are a “must have”.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:15 AM
SLEEKVET
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

I have a 2LZ and can say I love my PDR. It is an all or nothing option in my opinion. Yes, you can get some aftermarket item but it will not be the factory PDR . Great performance and fun tool, awesome Valet mode, that records video when you leave your car for service and a great dash cam. I ordered my 2LZ with the PDR and would do it again. Also helps to have it if you ever sell your car in the future. It is an option that was a must have for me.

Last edited by SLEEKVET; 03-15-2018 at 09:21 AM.
spoolin98 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 09:18 AM
Jsilvester81
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

LOL, Im not single and Im way too old to move home. My wife is on board, I'm just trying to get the car without a loan
i love the Unamerican anti debt stance buying the American sports car

these cars are more enjoyable owned outright IMHO
Bank owned or consumer owned either way America makes it easy to have a lot of car with relative little $$$
Old 03-15-2018, 09:27 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 529 Likes on 357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

At the prices I have seen for used I can get brand new for around the same price. So many people bought new at way higher prices, there are a ton of used ones out there priced at the cost of a new one.
There aren’t any options I want that I’m not getting when I order. I just wanted to make sure I’m not missing anything special by skipping the PDR and see if anyone had other suggestions for options that are a “must have”.
Just picked up a 2016 Z with 30K miles for <$60K. It is loaded and the one must have is the comp seats. I would never have ordered those but am extremely glad this car has them.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:23 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
As for the exhaust there isn't much around that can beat the stock NPP system from a performance standpoint. When the C7 NPP exhaust is set in track mode the exhaust valves are open all the time and you basically have a straight pipe running through a muffler shell. They are fairly loud (I get complaints about mine all the time) and they don't cost anything extra. Despite what some people say there is no need to pull a fuse to get the valves to open just go to exhaust settings on the center screen and set the mode to track.

Bill
I saw something about this in another thread which said you need to pull exhaust fuse #2 even in track mode. I haven't tried that yet.

Last edited by Carvin; 03-15-2018 at 10:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-15-2018, 10:53 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

There is a 2018 new for 72K not far from me, 1LZ.
From what I read people are getting horrible tire wear from the factory, hence why I want to check the alignment.
I also read that the rear ducts are expensive to repair, so why not protect them?
I do my own work, I'm not new to cars, I'm new to corvettes.
Yep 1 lz the best value for the money!
Tire wear on the Z06 is fine the Z07 tires are not as good for the street.
Rear brake ducts are no issue just make sure the car has side skirts.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:57 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Getting anything other than a z06 is kind of out of the question. The stingray doesn’t apeal to me as much.

I have searched and really can’t find anything that has what I want for the price I want.
I ended up going to the dealership to talk numbers on a 2019 Z06 2lz. After dealing with about 5 different dealers I think I’ve found a dealer with a pretty fair price.
They don’t have what I want so they will have to order it, good thing is I can get it exactly how I want. When I built the car online I don’t really want any options besides 2lz, black wheels, and yellow calipers. Does anyone have any suggestions for options that are a must have that I am missing?

For those of you who are wondering, I can get it out the door for $80,700

Everywhere I read people talk about the PDR. I read about it in on chevys website and I think I’m going to order the car without it. Can anyone explain to me why I should get it? Is there something about it that the website doesn’t tell you?
i just don’t get what all the hype is about.
I have PDR on one car and have found it is like the HUD I'm not using it.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:12 PM
spoolin98
Pro

Originally Posted by Carvin
Just picked up a 2016 Z with 30K miles for <$60K. It is loaded and the one must have is the comp seats. I would never have ordered those but am extremely glad this car has them.
If you don't mind me asking why are the comp seats a must have? I have sat in the factory seats, I thought they were nice. I have not sat in comp seats.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:14 PM
spoolin98
Pro

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Yep 1 lz the best value for the money!
Tire wear on the Z06 is fine the Z07 tires are not as good for the street.
Rear brake ducts are no issue just make sure the car has side skirts.
From my understanding the Z06 comes with side skirts from the factory? They just aren't full length, correct me if im wrong.
When I build it on the website it shows side skirts and a front splitter. I do plan on getting full length side skirts eventually.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:15 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

If you don't mind me asking why are the comp seats a must have? I have sat in the factory seats, I thought they were nice. I have not sat in comp seats.

The comp seats envelope you much more. Feels way more racey. More support.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:55 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

I am not positive I am writing this in the right section or not so Mods please move if need be.
I've never been into v8's or corvettes for that matter, but I'm thinking about taking the plunge.
I'm a HUGE fan of forced induction, normally turbos. When the c7 first came out I fell in love with it, been in love with it since. I'm really considering purchasing a c7z. I've been floating on this forum for months, just signed up today.
I wanted to see if anyone had advice for me before buying one. I want to get a new one, but my budget is about 75k. I refuse to buy used, it has to be new.
Some things I plan on doing if I find one in my price range
-Have the car street aligned
-Install rear air duct covers along with front wheel rock guards
-Put some clear protective film on the mirrors and rear quarter panels
-500 mile oil change

Any other advice for me?
I'm going to be honest, I'm getting a car that I probably shouldn't be getting, its literally tapping the budget. I cant afford a 4k exhaust and 2k intake, but I love the car and I really want one.
don’t do this when you take it for a test drive

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-gone-bad.html
spoolin98 (03-15-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Any advice, new to Corvettes...

Old 03-15-2018, 07:05 PM
spoolin98
Pro

Originally Posted by Carvin
The comp seats envelope you much more. Feels way more racey. More support.
If you don't mind me asking what is your height and weight? When I sat in the stock seats I felt like the seats were hugging me, but I'm 6'1" 245lbs
Old 03-15-2018, 10:20 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

If you don't mind me asking what is your height and weight? When I sat in the stock seats I felt like the seats were hugging me, but I'm 6'1" 245lbs
You have almost 100lbs on me. I do recall a thread about body size and comp seats.

Last edited by Carvin; 03-15-2018 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Added
spoolin98 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 01:29 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

If you shop out of state you can get 18's for $5k less.

Quick Reply: Any advice, new to Corvettes...