C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

What happened to the '15/'16 upgrades Tadge spoke about?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 12:17 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Satanspawn
Sadly, as expected, it's already been closed and nobody had the decency to even give a reason as to why.

The 'Ask Tadge' section is simply put, a pathetic waste of forum space. Sure, you can get answers from him, but the answers are to asinine questions that could be answered by common sense. Questions like "Should I use the new recommended oil weight?". Like c'mon, really?!

The section does little more than give a false sense of importance to it's facilitator, and presents what I believe to be an intentionally deceitful facade to the forum, that Tadge has his ear to the community. If he truly did, he wouldn't need a middleman to filter the questions he cannot, or will not answer...

I didn't think it was out of line to ask about the status of a kit that we were initially told was progressing in development nearly a year ago...
I really agree and really disagree with parts of your post. We the forum get to vote on the question that gets asked and I am equally disappointed with the inability to get actual engineering questions through the process. Unfortunately, those of us that are actually interested in the performance engineering side of the car are in the minority.

However, I think JVP has better things to do than play forum moderator but he's still doing it and I think it is extermely valuable. When we get good questions through the voting process to Tadge we typically get very good answers. I'm not aware of any other manufacturer that provides a method for the Internet to submit and get questions directly from the Chief Engineer.

I think asking about the kit was a fair question but the reality is that we're not going to get an answer because we'd either have a release date or we don't. There's no point in queuing up a question for voting that we know won't result in an answer.
The following users liked this post:
peterjank (03-12-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 12:53 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch Red Z06
There was never a “fix” for the overheating issues in the A8 cars. I think Tadge admitted it when he said, if you track your Z06, the M7 is the way to go. Even 17 and 18 A8 Z06’s will overheat on the track. My 15 A8 has never overheated on the street and I drive it hard in Florida during the summer months. I think at this point it’s a moot issue.
That's my understanding. They improved the rear cylinder intercooling which might prevent detonation, allow more timing, and run slightly cooler. But no major fix.

They just assumed you'd go away at some point, and we did.

The 'Ask Tadge' section is simply put, a pathetic waste of forum space.
I can't agree there. There's been a lot of good info there. If you're looking for your opportunity to get Tadge on the stand and grill him like an attorney cross-examining a witness, I don't think that's going to happen, and why would Tadge subject himself to that?

The questions should be substantive but polite. If they're just throwing him softballs to get to talk to the great Tadge, that's useless. But bitching at him does nothing either. Someone with diplomacy needs to work that relationship to get the most info out of it (or maybe it already is done that way, I have no idea).

Last edited by davepl; 03-11-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:33 PM
btwicked
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

As I've stated previously - any talk of this promised kit and/or overheating threads that get posted in the Ask Tadge section and JVP locks or deletes the threads.

Someone ask months ago what the part numbers are for the 15/16 kit so they could purchase the individual parts, since the "kit" has never been announced, from a dealer and POOF - deleted thread.

Why all the cloak and dagger BS with this topic?

The head engineer of the Corvette program announced that a fix was in the works to fix the ineffectively engineered cooling system and since that time all we have heard was crickets...

Typical snake oil salesman.

Don't hold you breath on a fix coming out BUT more importantly DONT go away quietly.
The following 3 users liked this post by btwicked:
Ornery (03-17-2018), pkincy (03-19-2018), Rodbuster56 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,994 Likes on 1,678 Posts

[QUOTE=HighBeta;1596762098]
Originally Posted by Satanspawn
Sadly, as expected, it's already been closed and nobody had the decency to even give a reason as to why.

/QUOTE]

Yes, it would be great to ask him again and I'd like to see that happen but the mods surely don't want to push the issue with the guy.
No, they don’t. Ironically, this is one of the few means we “the people” have to reach out and ask him...or in this case follow up...other than contacting an attorney.

As a 2016 Z06 owner (my 8th Corvette) who has experienced overheating issues on top of other significant repairs since day one, I do not think GM gets the damage Tadges statement has done.

He acknowledged the existence of the issue, while the silence and lack of follow up leaves me feeling left behind and ignored. As a result, I no longer trust GM to do the right thing in terms of the most expensive car I bought in my entire life.

In the past I have traded up about every 2 years, and I have no plans to do so anytime soon. Call me mellow dramatic, I don’t care...I’m just a frustrated Corvette brand loyalist who expected more.
Rodbuster56 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 08:55 PM
Satanspawn
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I really agree and really disagree with parts of your post. We the forum get to vote on the question that gets asked and I am equally disappointed with the inability to get actual engineering questions through the process. Unfortunately, those of us that are actually interested in the performance engineering side of the car are in the minority.

However, I think JVP has better things to do than play forum moderator but he's still doing it and I think it is extermely valuable. When we get good questions through the voting process to Tadge we typically get very good answers. I'm not aware of any other manufacturer that provides a method for the Internet to submit and get questions directly from the Chief Engineer.

I think asking about the kit was a fair question but the reality is that we're not going to get an answer because we'd either have a release date or we don't. There's no point in queuing up a question for voting that we know won't result in an answer.
Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
That's my understanding. They improved the rear cylinder intercooling which might prevent detonation, allow more timing, and run slightly cooler. But no major fix.

They just assumed you'd go away at some point, and we did.

I can't agree there. There's been a lot of good info there. If you're looking for your opportunity to get Tadge on the stand and grill him like an attorney cross-examining a witness, I don't think that's going to happen, and why would Tadge subject himself to that?

The questions should be substantive but polite. If they're just throwing him softballs to get to talk to the great Tadge, that's useless. But bitching at him does nothing either. Someone with diplomacy needs to work that relationship to get the most info out of it (or maybe it already is done that way, I have no idea).
Perhaps stating that the 'Ask Tadge' section is a waste of space was a bit too extreme. I wouldn't say that "a lot" of good info has come from it, but there certainly has been some. My frustration comes from the fact that many answered topics have been soft *****; answerable by anyone with half a brain. Meanwhile topics like this, that only Tadge has an answer for, get swept aside.

I'm not at all suggesting that the 'Ask Tadge' section turn into a place where we prop Tadge on a box and cross-exam him Jack McCoy-style about every negative aspect of any Corvette. However, he should be able to address some of the more glaring issues, such as the flawed design of the 15/16 supercharger and cooling system. I'm aware that he has addressed it in a couple of questions, but in doing so, he also made us aware of a kit that was in development. Given that there has been no other word on it in nearly a year, I think it's more than fair to ask if there has been any progress made toward releasing it.

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening because the question is never going to make it's way past the bouncer, whom is either taking it upon himself to protect Tadge from the perceived negativity, or has been instructed to because Tadge and GM want there to be as little noise about it as possible to let it snuff itself out.

Last edited by Satanspawn; 03-11-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:32 PM
Satanspawn
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Maybe we’ll get an answer soon after yet another class-action suit has popped up.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:13 PM
btwicked
Instructor

chirp
Old 03-17-2018, 01:50 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Tadge provides an answer:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...anagement.html
Old 03-17-2018, 01:27 PM
btwicked
Instructor

SO based on that answer... there is no kit. He lied when he stated that a kit will be available. So because of the substandard engineering in the Z06 cooling system, I have to upgrade to a ZR1 front end with radiators if I want my Z06 to perform as advertised!! The most track capable Corvette ever is not.

Way to go GM!!

Last edited by btwicked; 03-17-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:58 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Pretty sure it’s available and called the 2017 Z06 and later MY cars...
Old 03-17-2018, 02:25 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Vadge is going to look into it, as soon as he's finished looking into the c6z06 valve issue.
pkincy (03-19-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 09:03 PM
btwicked
Instructor

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Pretty sure it’s available and called the 2017 Z06 and later MY cars...
That's not true at all. all the autos from 15 to the present will overheat PERIOD. The 17 and up manuals are better than the 15 and 16 manuals but they still overheat.

wake up and look at the issues. The cooling system is inadequate to dissipate the heat of the supercharger and motor. Look at the large vents and accessory radiators on the ZR1 and also the ZL1 Camaro and you can see that GM learned from their substandard engineering defects on the Z06 but unfortunately... a little too late for people who bought a car marketed as the most track capable corvette ever.
thebishman (03-18-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 09:14 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by btwicked
That's not true at all. all the autos from 15 to the present will overheat PERIOD. The 17 and up manuals are better than the 15 and 16 manuals but they still overheat.

wake up and look at the issues. The cooling system is inadequate to dissipate the heat of the supercharger and motor. Look at the large vents and accessory radiators on the ZR1 and also the ZL1 Camaro and you can see that GM learned from their substandard engineering defects on the Z06 but unfortunately... a little too late for people who bought a car marketed as the most track capable corvette ever.
It might of not have been the most track capable Corvette ever but it is until the ZR1 hits the street the fastest 0-60 and 1/4 mile Corvette ever produced!
Old 03-17-2018, 09:39 PM
DSOMDream
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

The kit to fix overheating issues is pn# ZR1 . Sorry for me and you! Paul
Old 03-17-2018, 09:47 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by btwicked

Dude, your sarcasm radar is broke...

Finally, you are off topic with your comments. Go back and read OP’s original post, he’s simply looking for the 17+ upgrade bits in a backward compatible package.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:10 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by TXshaggy

Dude he’s simply looking for the 17+ upgrade bits in a backward compatible package.
Exactly and when I posted asking for an update in the “Ask Tadge” forum, it got immediately closed? It looks like GMPP could put a package together and solve this issue. If it was reasonably priced all these lawsuits would have gone away and the track guys would be happy campers. LG seems to have the only option which will set you back several grand and void your warranty.

Quick Reply: What happened to the '15/'16 upgrades Tadge spoke about?