C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tiny bit hooked, newb track questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 04:19 PM
Never Settle
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16
Default Tiny bit hooked, newb track questions

WARNING track newbie speak.. . Please be kind.

So I’m not willing to admit it, completed my first track day at COTA in my own Z, but I might be a tiny bit hooked. Spring Mountain started it, I blame them lol.. I’m more glad that I made it home unscathed than my less than expected personal performance haha.

Unfortunately the Z is my only car and my daily driver, so I can’t get too crazy and do this very often (hoping maybe 2-3x a year) but after a full day my tires are pretty ratty. Ratty enough that the ride now feels rough.. I’m guessing they need balancing due to all the rubber pickup/loss? What’s the situation there? Is that normal, not normal? I’m hoping it’s the tires and not something else..

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2018, 04:41 PM
noel48
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I was spectating yesterday watching a friend in his 2015 white ZO6.He overheated during his laps every time.Lots of nice cars there.
I heard there was a 2017 Z that also experienced overheating.How did you do?
Old 03-18-2018, 04:50 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Never Settle
WARNING track newbie speak.. . Please be kind.

So I’m not willing to admit it, completed my first track day at COTA in my own Z, but I might be a tiny bit hooked. Spring Mountain started it, I blame them lol.. I’m more glad that I made it home unscathed than my less than expected personal performance haha.

Unfortunately the Z is my only car and my daily driver, so I can’t get too crazy and do this very often (hoping maybe 2-3x a year) but after a full day my tires are pretty ratty. Ratty enough that the ride now feels rough.. I’m guessing they need balancing due to all the rubber pickup/loss? What’s the situation there? Is that normal, not normal? I’m hoping it’s the tires and not something else..

Thanks!
bill Dearborn( his name and forum handle) needs to chime in on this. He has lots of track experience c6 and c7s.

Interested to hear what folks say. Unless you locked it up or spun and flat spotted the tires not sure what it would be- maybe bearings ?

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 03-18-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:56 PM
Never Settle
Pro

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by noel48
I was spectating yesterday watching a friend in his 2015 white ZO6.He overheated during his laps every time.Lots of nice cars there.
I heard there was a 2017 Z that also experienced overheating.How did you do?
I did meh, ok for me I guess On the bright side, I improved a bit more each session so I'd call that a win.

I didn't get an overheat probably because I didn't push very hard. Dash engine temp gauge got up to 265 IIRC but I wish I had better data, was too pumped and messed up on my PDR I swear I set the start/finish but it didn't capture laps. Next time I'll remember to check after each run.. lesson learned.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:01 PM
Never Settle
Pro

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

bill Dearborn( his name and forum handle) needs to chime in on this. He has lots of track experience c6 and c7s.

Interested to hear what folks say. Unless you locked it up or spun and flat spotted the tires not sure what it would be- maybe bearings ?

Ooh, hopefully not.. its not super rough, but definitely more bumpy or vibrate-y than before.

No didn't spin (thank god) but one dude did right in front me, hit the wall .. but most of if not all of my tires have lumps here and there on them.. seems to be less now but that could be my conscious hoping nothing's wrong best case I'll take em off to check em when I get a chance..
Old 03-18-2018, 05:41 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

You either picked up OPR (other people's rubber) or the tires slipped on the wheels. It's more likely the first possibility given that 1) you're a novice and 2) you're on street tires.

I suppose a not impossible third possibility is you bent a wheel on curbing or an off track excursion since these OEM wheels are practically paper-mache.

Last edited by spearfish25; 03-18-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:07 PM
Never Settle
Pro

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by spearfish25
You either picked up OPR (other people's rubber) or the tires slipped on the wheels. It's more likely the first possibility given that 1) you're a novice and 2) you're on street tires.

I suppose a not impossible third possibility is you bent a wheel on curbing or an off track excursion since these OEM wheels are practically paper-mache.
yep the OEM MPSS tires.. wheew I’m hoping it’s door #1 (OPR) then lol.

If it is that.. what’s some decent track wheels that won’t break the bank but yet aren’t paper mache.. ideally some that could fit the stock tire so I can at least keep it close to stock and flip flop the use being that it’s my daily..

Last edited by Never Settle; 03-18-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

It sure sounds like OPR. It will come off after a while. If you can go on a long highway drive where the tires can build some heat the stuff will come off quicker. You may need to clean the car after the trip but the excess rubber should be off.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Never Settle (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 07:47 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It sure sounds like OPR. It will come off after a while. If you can go on a long highway drive where the tires can build some heat the stuff will come off quicker. You may need to clean the car after the trip but the excess rubber should be off.

Bill
opr— learning something new here.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:48 PM
Never Settle
Pro

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Thanks Bill!

Any advice on a set of decent not too $$ track wheels? I'm probably asking for the impossible here though Preferably a set that can still fit the stock MPSS tires.. I was considering buying used GM Z06 stock wheels (some decent ones for sale in the forum, but if they're truly that fragile, maybe not?)

As for still fitting the stock size tires, I'm not good enough to say the MPSSs are bad.. seems fine for me.. or MPSCs are about the same price so they're also an option.. don't see a future with me on slicks, maybe.

Again, not looking to break the bank.. just a 2-3x a year thing so something I can switch out for the track and switch back for daily wheels/tire after..

As an aside, I see many folks go with 18s for track, I'm guessing for the better selection of tires? A performance thing? Lighter wheel? I'm not looking to beat anyone, just making sure I can keep driving this beast til the next one.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:37 PM
JBond214
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm local to Austin, also track my 2015 A8 Z06 (non-Z07) 2-3 times a year at COTA. Great track and good car for that track. Close to 20 days at COTA, no overheating (though I don't go out to the track when its 100 in August -- it's as hard on me as the car/tires when it's that hot). Mods are DSC controller w/ alignment, Ferodo DS 1.11 pads, and swapped the MPSS for Cup 2s. Consistently running laps in the mid-2:20s. Car is capable of low 2:20s in this set up with some more driver skill.

As for the tires feeling "unbalanced" after the track, I suggest that you drive on them for a while. The other rubber and the uneven track wear should even out in a bit of street driving. Also feel around inside the wheel to see if any pieces of rubber are stuck inside the wheel (I usually find some there, which can throw off the balance).

In terms of things to improve your track performance I'd recommend you look at (in this order): DSC controller (and alignment), higher friction brake pads (like ferodo), then putting cup 2s on the stock rims. Obviously the more you drive on track and improve your skill the better. These cars are generally capable of more than we are as "novice" drivers.

I haven't pulled the trigger on standalone track wheels because they are expensive for good quality ones. That said, I think dedicated track wheels with Cup 2s and keeping MPSS on the stock wheels for daily driving would be a good set up.

Soul Speed is a great local shop that can do a good job track prepping the Z06, including the alignment. http://www.soulspeed.com/home.php
Never Settle (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 04:40 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Just a piece of advice, buy track insurance as this is your daily driver. Lockton, or OnTrackInsurance are both good choices.

I will say this, tracking a car is rough on it. The paint takes a beating and parts get abused much faster (brakes, bushings, ball joints, etc.) There are a number of people who drive to the track, go all day, and then drive home but it is a gamble for sure.
Never Settle (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 07:48 PM
Never Settle
Pro

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by JBond214
I'm local to Austin, also track my 2015 A8 Z06 (non-Z07) 2-3 times a year at COTA. Great track and good car for that track. Close to 20 days at COTA, no overheating (though I don't go out to the track when its 100 in August -- it's as hard on me as the car/tires when it's that hot). Mods are DSC controller w/ alignment, Ferodo DS 1.11 pads, and swapped the MPSS for Cup 2s. Consistently running laps in the mid-2:20s. Car is capable of low 2:20s in this set up with some more driver skill.

As for the tires feeling "unbalanced" after the track, I suggest that you drive on them for a while. The other rubber and the uneven track wear should even out in a bit of street driving. Also feel around inside the wheel to see if any pieces of rubber are stuck inside the wheel (I usually find some there, which can throw off the balance).

In terms of things to improve your track performance I'd recommend you look at (in this order): DSC controller (and alignment), higher friction brake pads (like ferodo), then putting cup 2s on the stock rims. Obviously the more you drive on track and improve your skill the better. These cars are generally capable of more than we are as "novice" drivers.

I haven't pulled the trigger on standalone track wheels because they are expensive for good quality ones. That said, I think dedicated track wheels with Cup 2s and keeping MPSS on the stock wheels for daily driving would be a good set up.

Soul Speed is a great local shop that can do a good job track prepping the Z06, including the alignment. http://www.soulspeed.com/home.php
Sounds about right to me.. not diving too far out..
Old 03-19-2018, 07:52 PM
Never Settle
Pro

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by fleming23
Just a piece of advice, buy track insurance as this is your daily driver. Lockton, or OnTrackInsurance are both good choices.

I will say this, tracking a car is rough on it. The paint takes a beating and parts get abused much faster (brakes, bushings, ball joints, etc.) There are a number of people who drive to the track, go all day, and then drive home but it is a gamble for sure.
Amen to that. I used Lockton this time, just in case. Seeing some of the accidents this weekend, I'm glad I did.. Could have been me is how I felt.. and a small price to pay if god forbid something ugly occurred. Hopefully I'll never have to use it..

Some folks are telling me I'm crazy to be tracking my daily.. I agree to some degree, always in the back of my head..
Old 03-19-2018, 11:49 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Even driving to/from the track is a risk. Make sure you have AAA Premium Plus in case you have a breakage and need to tow the car home. It is a slippery slope. First some parking lot racing (autox). Then a few HPDEs. Then some brake pads and a second set of wheels with Cup 2s. Then a truck and trailer. Then you retire your DDer and buy a track car/race car. Soon you get competitive and run a full regional series which typically is 10 3 day weekends a year with lots of towing, fuel, ontrack fuel, race tires, entry fees, some breakage, etc. Before long you have spent your retirement fund as well as your kids education fund. But it sure is fun.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:00 AM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Never drive off line on a cool down lap, it will pick all sorts of crap that will stick and make it feel like a truck. Take it for a drive the next time it rains, a lot of it will just fall off. The other thing is that the edges of the grooves get hammered, they call it cupping, once that happens the tires will always make more noise, also beware you have heat cycled your tires several times and your grip level gets worse with each cycle so even driving on the streets you may experience less grip. Welcome to the dark side of going to the track, next will be brakes pads and rotors.
Never Settle (03-23-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 12:20 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

We have our LG GR7 wheels that are oem dimensions as well as OEM wheels that are about to come off of our new shop car if you decide to go with a second track dedicated set.

Last edited by Dane@LGmotorsports; 03-21-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tiny bit hooked, newb track questions

Old 03-21-2018, 02:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane@LGmotorsports
We have our LG GR7 wheels that are oem dimensions as well as OEM wheels that are about to come off of our new shop car if you decide to go with a second track dedicated set. We also developed the first and most widely chosen cooling kit that resolves the overheating issue.

OP: I believe the GR7s are the successors to the LG World Challenge wheels. I used those on my C6Z and they worked great. A rugged wheel that held up to all sorts of abuse including having a a C6Z pad guide pin bolt come loose and dig the back of the spokes. Took the wheel to Weld Craft Wheels in Michigan to have them check the damage and they were impressed with the quality of the wheel and were able to smooth off the rough edges so there wasn't any place where a crack could start. Used those wheels for another 4 years until I sold the car and the wheels.

If you want to purchase a stock size wheel that is reasonably priced and will hold up to track duty these should be the high on the list of ones to consider.

As for 18s the reason for that is a better selection of tires, wider tires and the chance to lower tire costs. I just purchased a set of Pirelli P Zeros for ~$750 shipped that fit on my set of 18x11 front and 18x12 rear wheels. They stick as well or better than the Cup2 tires and last as long for about half the price. You also get the chance to go with new or take off Hoosiers and Toyos. Just a much wider range of choices to keep tire costs down.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 03-21-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:39 AM
CW4L
Supporting Vendor

Received 730 Likes on 596 Posts

We can do Forgeline 18” ga1r, ga1r or ga3r for vettes w z07 brakes and we offer motorsports pricing for all our forum friends so you dont have to pay retail for Track rated and track specific wheels.

Call or text 440-915-6166

#1 Forged Wheel Master Distributor for Corvettes Worldwide since 2010
Call/Text 440-915-6166

Forgeline*Anrky*HRE*PUR*Brixton*Vorstein er*Akra*Brembo*IPE and Many More....

REVIEWS: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/whee...r-reviews.html

EMAIL: sales@cw4L.com
PHONE 440-915-6166 CALL OR TEXT ANYTIME!!!

Follow us on Instagram @custom_wheels_for_less

Old 03-22-2018, 09:56 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

I don't think there's a better FORGED wheel available than the Signature wheels from forum vendor Khoa at Deity Motorsports. When considering quality of construction, certifications and price they are unbeatable. I bought a set of 18" wheels for track and liked them so much I bought a second set for street as I kept bending the OEM wheels.

When compared to the better known brands they are almost half price for what is a very high quality forged wheel.
The following 2 users liked this post by rikhek:
Deity.Motorsports (03-22-2018), Never Settle (03-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Tiny bit hooked, newb track questions