C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

JTM Z06 intercooler tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 04:15 PM
JTMmotorsports
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default JTM Z06 intercooler tank

We are now offering an extra capacity water tank for the z06 supercharger system. The tank includes the appropriate AN hose ends, hose and hardware for a complete install and looks like a factory piece. It holds about 1.3 gallons of extra coolant and features a 4" fill cap and powder coated either black or a custom color of your desire.

Price is $499.95
Attached Images    
Old 03-19-2018, 04:45 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

That's sharp, I'll be in touch
Old 03-19-2018, 06:45 PM
JTMmotorsports
Racer

Originally Posted by hcvone
That's sharp, I'll be in touch
Thanks Bud, you can reach us at 631-392-1135
Old 03-20-2018, 11:39 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

It looks like you eliminated the stock fill port. I have been having an intermittent high rpm misfire on cylinder #8 that GM says is due to air in the intercooler. They say to open the fill port to check the coolant level to be sure there is no air in the horizontal intercooler lines at the top of the engine. The cap on your tank is lower than those lines, how can you be sure you have no air in them if the fill port isn't there?

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 03-20-2018 at 11:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Perf n Restore (03-21-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 12:57 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It looks like you eliminated the stock fill port. I have been having an intermittent high rpm misfire on cylinder #8 that GM says is due to air in the intercooler. They say to open the fill port to check the coolant level to be sure there is no air in the horizontal intercooler lines at the top of the engine. The cap on your tank is lower than those lines, how can you be sure you have no air in them if the fill port isn't there?

Bill
I believe it has to do with the stock reservoir being at the bottom and the pump cavitating. If the reservoir is above the pump then it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I believe it has to do with the stock reservoir being at the bottom and the pump cavitating. If the reservoir is above the pump then it shouldn't be an issue.
The dealer mechanic and I have been conversing with GM Engineering about my intermittent misfire since last September. GM Engineering has been quite adamant about telling me and the mechanic the way to tell if the intercooler is properly filled is to remove the cap on the fill port and check for air in the horizontal tubes. If there is air in the tubes the system has to be bled until no air exists in those tubes. They don't even mention the air gap in the reservoir which is required for expansion. They informed us they were releasing a new vacuum bleed tool this past January that would make it easier to ensure the air is out of the system. This actually makes sense since air in those tubes means the intercooler is getting a mixture of coolant and air. That would be similar to the hot water heating systems Northerners are used to where air in the plumbing decreases heat transfer from the radiators to the room whereas a certain amount of air in the expansion tank is required for the system to operate properly. In all of those systems the expansion tanks are any where from 5 ft to 20 ft or more below the radiators.

I have been thinking I wanted to get more intercooler coolant capacity but I also want to make sure the coolant level in those tubes is where they say it should be. What they are saying sounds logical and they should know more about how critical the fill level is than anybody else.

Bill
Old 03-20-2018, 02:22 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The dealer mechanic and I have been conversing with GM Engineering about my intermittent misfire since last September. GM Engineering has been quite adamant about telling me and the mechanic the way to tell if the intercooler is properly filled is to remove the cap on the fill port and check for air in the horizontal tubes. If there is air in the tubes the system has to be bled until no air exists in those tubes. They don't even mention the air gap in the reservoir which is required for expansion. They informed us they were releasing a new vacuum bleed tool this past January that would make it easier to ensure the air is out of the system. This actually makes sense since air in those tubes means the intercooler is getting a mixture of coolant and air. That would be similar to the hot water heating systems Northerners are used to where air in the plumbing decreases heat transfer from the radiators to the room whereas a certain amount of air in the expansion tank is required for the system to operate properly. In all of those systems the expansion tanks are any where from 5 ft to 20 ft or more below the radiators.

I have been thinking I wanted to get more intercooler coolant capacity but I also want to make sure the coolant level in those tubes is where they say it should be. What they are saying sounds logical and they should know more about how critical the fill level is than anybody else.

Bill
I agree it sounds logical, but it seems like several or more have been down that road....I tend to err towards user experience though when it comes to this kind of thing, and it also seems logical that ensuring a better fill on the reservoir will also result in a better fill on the tubes...might be 6 of 1.... ymmv.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:20 PM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm confused about the expansion. Usually that is accomplished through an overflow expansion tank/recovery system (back and forth), or just a release through the pressure cap without a recovery system. Seems any air should be forced to the highest point within the system itself and bled out there, which would seem to be the bleed screws on the lines running across the engine at top front.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:47 PM
JTMmotorsports
Racer

The main issue is having positive head on the pump and clearing the air out of the system, as mentioned if the pump is airbound it shuts off. Since this system uses a tank, air can bleed out into the tank and it will not effect the pump. There have been many of systems designed in this manner in many industries. There are definately circumtances where system designs will vary and are engineered differently. Example of your heating system, there is no tank thats supplying a positive head on the pumps. It simply relies on the water in the system to return back, but if an air pocket hits the pump it can become airbound and then not be able to push water through the system.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by JTMmotorsports
The main issue is having positive head on the pump and clearing the air out of the system, as mentioned if the pump is airbound it shuts off. Since this system uses a tank, air can bleed out into the tank and it will not effect the pump. There have been many of systems designed in this manner in many industries. There are definately circumtances where system designs will vary and are engineered differently. Example of your heating system, there is no tank thats supplying a positive head on the pumps. It simply relies on the water in the system to return back, but if an air pocket hits the pump it can become airbound and then not be able to push water through the system.
I agree with that and that is why I wondered about the fill port being removed. If there is air in those lines some of it will go through the intercooler and either back to the pump and the air pocket in the stock reservoir or to your tank depending on which side of the pump the tank is located on.

Bill
Old 03-20-2018, 04:03 PM
JTMmotorsports
Racer

Yes, and with our tank you can leave the stock fill port installed and utilize it to be sure of having everybit of the system bled. Only thing to remember is to drain the system slightly before opening the lid on the tank.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:24 PM
jlbjr
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

How do you bleed the system? Can you fill the resivoir by removing the filler cap and just fill til the level stabilizes like radiator? If the fluid level is above the intercooler it’s good right?
Old 03-21-2018, 10:52 AM
JTMmotorsports
Racer

Originally Posted by jlbjr
How do you bleed the system? Can you fill the resivoir by removing the filler cap and just fill til the level stabilizes like radiator? If the fluid level is above the intercooler it’s good right?
as stated above, with our tank you can leave the stock fill port installed and utilize it to be sure of having the system bled, You can fill the system through our tank and then top off through the stock fill port to ensure as much air as possible escapes.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

If you can do a vacuum bleed that would probably still be the best way to bleed the air since you have to get a certain amount of air out of the reservoir. The air goes to the top of the reservoir and all of the plumbing into and out of the reservoir is below the air level so pulling a vacuum helps remove air from the reservoir. The air trapped in the reservoir is at atmospheric pressure and if you pull 17 to 25 inches of vacuum it will expand and escape out through the plumbing until the air pressure of the remaining air in the reservoir equals the vacuum pressure.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To JTM Z06 intercooler tank

Quick Reply: JTM Z06 intercooler tank