C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Carbon ceramic brake rotor resale

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 10:36 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 648 Likes on 277 Posts

Default Carbon ceramic brake rotor resale

I'm considering purchasing a wrecked '16 Z07. Left front corner is toast and every other exterior panel has been damaged, but the other three suspension corners might be OK, haven't seen in person yet. I'm trying to assess the value of parts and would like some help on how to determine the value of the used brake rotors. The car has 12k mlles and no track time. Besides obvious damage like chips or cracks, how else can I judge if the rotors are usable? I've see some discussion regarding weight measurements, but is there anything else I should look for? Any estimate of the value/rotor?
Old 03-24-2018, 12:27 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

The minimum weight is laser etched on the rotor hat. That is used to determine when they need to be discarded, not thickness.

If they have any chips in the perimeter they cannot be used and have the value of a garage wall decoration. I would look very closely at this because I think a lot of careless shops chip rotors when removing wheels. Plus if it was in a crash they could have been damaged.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 03-24-2018, 06:03 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Since they've been in a crash, it's very hard to judge what might be damaged.

Like Jason said, if there are no chips, cracks, or gouges on the face of the rotor, the weight is the determining factor in life remaining.

If the hats aren't bent/damaged causing some wobbly runout, and the weight of the front is at least 90 grams greater than minimum and the rears at least 70 grams greater than minimum, then I'll take a chance that they might be serviceable and give you $100 per rotor.

I'll also give you $50 for each set of pads if they still have at least 8mm pad thickness and don't appear to be bent or cracked.

PM me when you get them and let me know how they look.

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon ceramic brake rotor resale

Quick Reply: Carbon ceramic brake rotor resale