C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Heat Extractor Hoods for ZO6

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 08:31 PM
Dakota Slim
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Heat Extractor Hoods for ZO6

Any recommendations for a good functioning heat extractor hood or hood additions to extract heat from my ZO6. Looking for measurable functionality for track use but also want it to look good.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:41 PM
Black18Z06
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Good question, I'm interested too. These have caught my eye https://acscomposite.com/products/z0...conversion-kit
Other ACS products I have used so far have all been top shelf so I have no reason to believe these would not be as well. However, before I start cutting holes in my car I would like to see some IRL. I would also like to know if they make any difference at all other than just looking cool.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:50 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

They do make good items, and I have used a few over the yrs.

I have to question $700 for ABS plastic....

For them to be of value, there would have to be more air coming into the engine compartment than currently being extracted thru the hood vent we have now.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:17 PM
Black18Z06
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by db2xpert
They do make good items, and I have used a few over the yrs.

I have to question $700 for ABS plastic....

For them to be of value, there would have to be more air coming into the engine compartment than currently being extracted thru the hood vent we have now.
Totally true. This is definitely not a cheap mod. On top of that, it is not one that I would take on myself. I just can't imagine taking a saw to my hood. So, installation would have to be figured in and I doubt that it would be a trivial amount. Looking at it, the placement would be close to the supercharger and over the heads, more or less. So it is probable a good spot for some extraction. Air flow over the hood, especially at speed, may draw some air (and heat) out but I have no idea how much. Certainly, they don't do anything to cool airflow into the compartment. Hence, my doubt as to whether they are worthwhile.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:07 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The question to ask is if they have any wind tunnel data to show it actually works. The stock vent dumps air coming through the upper part of the radiator in the low pressure area at the front of the hood. That area exists on all cars. However, their extractors are placed further back on the hood and may not be dumping into a low pressure area. I know the base of the windshield is a high pressure area but that area between the back of the hood and the back of the stock vent may not be low pressure or lower pressure. If it is a high pressure area then the heat extractors really won't provide the benefit being sought. Data will tell all.

Bill
Old 07-18-2018, 03:35 PM
MCK_Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Black18Z06
Good question, I'm interested too. These have caught my eye https://acscomposite.com/products/z0...conversion-kit
Other ACS products I have used so far have all been top shelf so I have no reason to believe these would not be as well. However, before I start cutting holes in my car I would like to see some IRL. I would also like to know if they make any difference at all other than just looking cool.
LG Motorsports makes a nice extraction hood.
That being said LG just installed the ACS extractor kit mentioned above for me with a few changes.
I already had their race fan. They left the inner ducts off of the ACS kit and removed the factory duct that seemed to be trapping most of the hot air under the duct.
The inner ducts on the ACS kit would have severely limited the amount of air you could move out of the vents with a front mounted fan.
If you drive your car in the rain much you probably want to leave all three inner ducts in place though.

The result is pretty amazing.
You can stand next to the driver or passenger doors with the hood down and the engine running and dry your hair with the amount of hot air the fan is pushing out of the vents. (of course that comes at the cost of the loud fan that sounds like a killer drone when its on...)

Here are a few pics I took with my phone. (excuse all of the annoying reflections that make it hard to see details.)

The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 06:45 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

That looks interesting. I'm looking into it further.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:05 PM
HOWSER
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Certainly does look nice. Thank you for sharing.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:30 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Not bad at all.

Deity has a hood also

I agree with Bill, they should be more forward to perform at greatest potential.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-19-2018 at 01:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Deity.Motorsports (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 11:57 AM
0Deity.Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
Not bad at all.

Deity has a hood also

I agree with Bill, they should be more forward to perform at greatest potential.

thanks Mike!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-90-done.html

Get notified of new replies

To Heat Extractor Hoods for ZO6

Quick Reply: Heat Extractor Hoods for ZO6