C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Best brake solution for Z06/Z07 (track use) is.... Z06 brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 07:10 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,397 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
That's amazing. I never got that kind of results. My rotors never lasted 5 days and I'd get a pedal that would go to the floor at least once every session and then be fine. Scared the crap out of me when it would happen. I think I was getting pad knock back. Switched to the Ap's and never had any trouble.
Some drive harder than others. Just like how many have never overheated a Z06 with an aux radiator.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 06-08-2019 at 07:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
badhabit_wb (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 07:30 PM
GShunter
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

Did anyone here switch from CCB to iron brakes? I mean the whole set up, calipers+ rotors+pads?
Just curious, how did you guys do it? Buy the whole set up new? or used? Any good vendors for the whole set up, specially the calipers?
Old 06-08-2019, 07:35 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Essex will sell you the AP kit to switch to iron brakes. There are also factory iron brakes that come up for sale on this site.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:45 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
That's amazing. I never got that kind of results. My rotors never lasted 5 days and I'd get a pedal that would go to the floor at least once every session and then be fine. Scared the crap out of me when it would happen. I think I was getting pad knock back. Switched to the Ap's and never had any trouble.
Yeah I’m no poorsha. Only running 2:06 at VIR full course, not 2:02’s.
badhabit_wb (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 09:45 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by GShunter
Did anyone here switch from CCB to iron brakes? I mean the whole set up, calipers+ rotors+pads?
Just curious, how did you guys do it? Buy the whole set up new? or used? Any good vendors for the whole set up, specially the calipers?
I swapped from OEM CCBs to OEM Iron calipers.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598485699

Last edited by X25; 06-08-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:56 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by rikhek
LOL. Hell, even Bruno who I believe knows the difference calls them "steel" rotors when they are in fact iron. Being an engineer this is one of my pet peeves. I tell younger engineers "words are important."

For some reason I get really annoyed by the multitude of people who don't know the difference between "rims" and "wheels". It's crazy how many people call wheels "rims". How many times have you read a post of someone asking where to buy a decent set of forged "rims". I think they'd be better off with the entire "wheel" being forged instead of just the "rim."

This is no different than calling a piston an engine. A piston is one specific piece/component of an engine, same as a rim is a specific component of a wheel. I realize I'm just **** and it just is what it is...

So, what size is the motor in your car ?
Old 07-17-2019, 10:21 PM
formula80_ca
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey guys,
I know this is an old thread, but i am at the same cross roads. I currently have Z07 CCBs and i plan to track the car, not a complete track car, but more like 5 track days a season. All my research points to CCBs being expensive to run. So my other options are
A. Girodisc CCB replacement rotors
B. Stock Z06 full brake kit
C. AP racing big brake kit.
D. Stock Z06 steel caliper with girodisc or other lighter rotors?

I sat and collected some numbers on the weights and cost for the first 3 options. This data is from different sources, so there will be some minor discrepancy here and there.

Btw, i will be holding on to the stock CCB set up, which i plan to re-install if i stop tracking or when i sell the car.
Having said that, looks like going to a Z06 steel set up is probably my ideal option, as in, its a good tradeoff between performance and cost. I get the fact that the AP racing kit is kickass, but so is the cost. I get the fact that running cost is lower, but so is it on the stock set up... replacement rotors are same cost as the rings for AP racing rotors.
Also, once i am doing using the Z06 stock set up, i might be able to recoup atleast 1000-1200 by selling all 4 calipers, right? So that should bring down my total investment for plan B to about 2500.

Am i missing some critical information here?
Your spreadsheet doesn't have one of the options you listed...

That's probably what I am going to do. P
Old 07-17-2019, 11:53 PM
deplorable01
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I emailed essex and inquired about why they don't offer replacement stock irons for z06 like they do for GTR and they just pointed to the whole kit and said that at this time they are not planning on offering stock iron replacement. Girodisc is selling theirs for 1K, so I think there is business case, but maybe they realized with better rotors their kit would not sell.

Regardless I think girodisc for rear is the right call because of the weight savings.

Front z06 irons could have been beefier or better designed. I guess GM figure if you are going to track it get the Z07 package. I have about 6-7 heavy track days on mine on 3rd set of OEM pads and they have cracks all over but none have yet to protrude to the edges. I did notice difference in OEM compound quality as some pads were wearing much faster than the others and I am having to rotate the pads as I am getting significant tapper, especially on the left side condsidering all my tracks are clock wise.

Later this summer I am planning to replace my OEM irons with camaro ss 1le rotors that also come on ATS V with race pad compound. Those are directional and should offer much better cooling than the stock pillar design, and lets face it both camaro and ATS are heavier cars. Only thing is you got to move over your OEM hats to the new IRON rings from camaro. I think they are about pound or so heavier, but they should offer significant cooling improvement vs stock. If I had money to throw around I would probably get the AP setup, but I feel that 1LE rotors and some race pads will be the best ticket for z06 track setup for the money at $355 per rotor.

Part #'s for Camaro Brakes
Left Side 23142500
Right Side 23189768
formula80_ca (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 12:14 AM
formula80_ca
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by deplorable01

Later this summer I am planning to replace my OEM irons with camaro ss 1le rotors that also come on ATS V with race pad compound. Those are directional and should offer much better cooling than the stock pillar design, and lets face it both camaro and ATS are heavier cars. Only thing is you got to move over your OEM hats to the new IRON rings from camaro. I think they are about pound or so heavier, but they should offer significant cooling improvement vs stock. If I had money to throw around I would probably get the AP setup, but I feel that 1LE rotors and some race pads will be the best ticket for z06 track setup for the money at $355 per rotor.

Part #'s for Camaro Brakes
Left Side 23142500
Right Side 23189768
I assume you have done the research but will these 100% for sure fit the corvette z06 J56 iron brake calipers?

So you can't buy the Camaro rotors and use Camaro hats, you have to change to OEM corvette J56 hats? That would mean more money spent on a hardware kit but if they stand up longer that would be better. Can you buy just the corvette hat without discs?

Last edited by formula80_ca; 07-18-2019 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Added a other question
Old 07-18-2019, 12:47 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Yep, the rings will fit. We did the other way around, and were able to fit DBA rings (made for C7 Z) onto my friend's
'17 Camaro SS 1LE.

To be honest, I'd still just go with Girodisc. It's $1K in the beginning, but will be $600 or so for a pair of ring replacements, not much different than OEM Camaro or AP rings (actually a bit cheaper).
Old 07-26-2019, 12:28 PM
whatyacallit
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a 2015 Z06/Z07/3LZ and wanted to know if there is an option for replacing just the ccb ring and use the origional hat and hardware. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2019, 01:07 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by whatyacallit
I have a 2015 Z06/Z07/3LZ and wanted to know if there is an option for replacing just the ccb ring and use the origional hat and hardware. Thanks!
No. There is not.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:11 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey guys,
I know this is an old thread, but i am at the same cross roads. I currently have Z07 CCBs and i plan to track the car, not a complete track car, but more like 5 track days a season. All my research points to CCBs being expensive to run. So my other options are
A. Girodisc CCB replacement rotors
B. Stock Z06 full brake kit
C. AP racing big brake kit.

I sat and collected some numbers on the weights and cost for the first 3 options. This data is from different sources, so there will be some minor discrepancy here and there.

Btw, i will be holding on to the stock CCB set up, which i plan to re-install if i stop tracking or when i sell the car.
Having said that, looks like going to a Z06 steel set up is probably my ideal option, as in, its a good tradeoff between performance and cost. I get the fact that the AP racing kit is kickass, but so is the cost. I get the fact that running cost is lower, but so is it on the stock set up... replacement rotors are same cost as the rings for AP racing rotors.
Also, once i am doing using the Z06 stock set up, i might be able to recoup atleast 1000-1200 by selling all 4 calipers, right? So that should bring down my total investment for plan B to about 2500.

Am i missing some critical information here?
I just realized your table is only adding up weight for 1 side. I know this is an old thread but that table is fairly wrong and should not be followed.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 07-26-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2021, 02:40 AM
grecoz06
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by cvp33
Stock GM, non-Z07, iron-ish/bronze brakes. Hawk DTC 70 front, 60 rear + Castro’s SRF = flawless braking. I’ve run 30min ON track/ 30min OFF track for 8.5 hours at VIR full course. Repeat braking front straight and back straight from 155 and 165mph with no issues.
How are those Hawk pads for the street? Squeaky? Any down sides? Thank you!
Old 11-16-2021, 06:47 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Default Z06

Originally Posted by grecoz06
How are those Hawk pads for the street? Squeaky? Any down sides? Thank you!
Great question. Also what about dust?

Quick Reply: Best brake solution for Z06/Z07 (track use) is.... Z06 brakes?