C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

DeWitts TOC/EOC Combination system

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 07:31 AM
formula80_ca
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
Sorry, I have one, could ship out today
Awesome!

I put my order in 2 days ago.

Thanks,
Clive
Old 07-10-2019, 11:36 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by formula80_ca
Awesome!

I put my order in 2 days ago.

Thanks,
Clive
I just checked on this, the cooler is complete and packaged but we are waiting on the production baffles. The should be here in a 1-2 days. If you are in a real hurry I can fabricate one myself to get this out asap. Let me know what your level of urgency is.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:02 PM
formula80_ca
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi Tom,

I responded to your email as well.

If it was delivered here in upper Washington state by early in the week of July 22 then I would have enough time to go down across the border, smuggle it up to Canada (kidding... I'll have to pay some 🇨🇦 tax) and install it before my next track event.

Thanks,
Clive
Old 07-10-2019, 04:17 PM
tiborrules
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Tom, I have a 2015 Z06 Z07 M7. It has an aggressive cam and headwork making 711 whp. I've added the GM auxiliary radiator and wraped part of the exhaust and oil lines. I did my first track day with this car in April with outside temp around 78 degrees. Since it was my first time in this car I ran at about 85%. Coolant peaked at 224, oil at 257, and trans at 190. So they seemed to be ok for now. My concern was heat soak. I noticed that my power was down quite a bit during the later part of my first session plus the remainder of the sessions. I'm fine with installing your larger radiator and heat exchanger if that will help. Can I add the heat exchanger to my existing set up? What are my options?
Old 07-10-2019, 05:54 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by tiborrules
Tom, I have a 2015 Z06 Z07 M7. It has an aggressive cam and headwork making 711 whp. I've added the GM auxiliary radiator and wraped part of the exhaust and oil lines. I did my first track day with this car in April with outside temp around 78 degrees. Since it was my first time in this car I ran at about 85%. Coolant peaked at 224, oil at 257, and trans at 190. So they seemed to be ok for now. My concern was heat soak. I noticed that my power was down quite a bit during the later part of my first session plus the remainder of the sessions. I'm fine with installing your larger radiator and heat exchanger if that will help. Can I add the heat exchanger to my existing set up? What are my options?
It will replace your GM aux radiator. I’m going to try running the Dewitt’s plumbed 2017 style off the main radiator, then adding in my GM aux radiator underneath it plumbed with the hot oil cooler line first.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:42 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tiborrules
Can I add the heat exchanger to my existing set up? What are my options?
The only thing you could gain is to have an air type oil cooler with the 32-OC kit. (Oil/Coolant) I really don't think it would be worth it. If you add the race version (1149114M) radiator and keep the GM aux unit, you will have a boat load of cooling. this should bring your coolant way down and that will help keep the oil down as well.

Last edited by Tom@Dewitt; 07-10-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:45 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
The only thing you could gain is to have an air type oil cooler with the 32-OC kit. (Oil/Coolant) I really don't think it would be worth it. If you add the race version (1149114M) radiator and keep the GM aux unit, you will have a boat load of cooling. this should bring your coolant way down and that will help keep the oil down as well.
I don’t really know if the big radiators do much on a c7. Guys were overheating until the aux kits came out. That’s where the rubber hits the road so to speak. At least from temperatures posted on here. The aux really lowers temps and big radiators were a so-so. Happy to see other info tho.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:56 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

If your power was indeed down in the following sessions, it sounds more like increasing ambient temps to me, since it should've recovered after it cooled down. Of course, you can still improve it, but anything significant will likely require more air flow (opening up bumper, etc).
The following users liked this post:
tiborrules (07-11-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 07:09 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
I don’t really know if the big radiators do much on a c7. .
Then let me tell you, they do. That's why GM switched from a 32mm to a 50mm in 2017. DeWitts has a bunch of reports the 57mm greatly effected the coolant temperatures. The 70mm race version has received great reviews but very few people have actually tried it. I don't think DeWitts has sold more than 50 of them in the last two years.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:31 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

Tom, I ordered the 32-TO for my 2016 A8 Z06 (which has no other "mods"), last Saturday (July 7).

Is there anything I need to do or know about to get this installed?
I know I have to remove the front faschia.
Presumably the included instructions will be adequate for a "newbie" like me ?.

Thanks,

Gary

Last edited by NTMD8R; 07-10-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:55 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by NTMD8R
Tom, I ordered the 32-TO for my 2016 A8 Z06 (which has no other "mods"), last Saturday (July 7).

Thanks,

Gary
You don't have to remove the front fascia. Some notes. You'll need a 5 mm Allen wrench cut to size for the oil cooler.bypass. it's a pain. Or Amazon sells these little "low profile" ratcheting wrenches that saved me. I've put on/removed the bypass block a total of 5 times now. You'll cuss and yell at how annoying it is to put on those cap head bolts in that tiny space. Verify the cap screw heads fit the black block before getting under the car. I had a manufacturing problem with mine.

Make sure you use the new provided metal gasket and the mating faces are clean or else it will leak. Made that mistake. Double and triple check all the oil fittings for leaks. After warm up. Use a backup wrench on the -AN fittings. Don't overtighten the o ring fittings.

The car will now take 10.5 to 11 quarts. Mine was 11 pretty much exactly with a similarly sized cooler. Got to 75% of the hashed area.

You need some pick tools (harbor freight has some cheap ones) to remove the boss fitting c clips on the OEM oil cooler.

Make sure you do this with the oil filter removed. You'll have stuff dripping for a while so it would help to remove the filter and let it drop overnight so it doesn't continue to drop on you as you work.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 07-10-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:13 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by NTMD8R

Thanks,

Gary
Gary,
Bruno covered most of the tricks. The one thing I will add (and did to the instructions) is regarding the Transmission fluid. Since you cannot check this fluid level with a dip stick and adding any is a pain in the ***, the best thing you can do is not lose any. The new cooler will hold about 10 oz more than the GM unit, so buy a quart of whatever you have in there.. You should have Dexron HP but someone may have flushed it and switched to the Mobile 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP. Just be sure.
The first thing to do is catch every drop and drain the old cooler out. Pour all this fluid into the new cooler, plus the ten ounces, and plug the ports. Install the cooler full. You will probably lose a couple ounces when you pull the plugs and connect the lines but I don't think that is going to be worth trying to re-fill.

The full install instructions can be downloaded from the website below
Click here

Last edited by Tom@Dewitt; 07-10-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:47 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

So I don't have to remove the front faschia ?

Thanks Tom.

Last edited by NTMD8R; 07-11-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:17 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

From my build thread:

Originally Posted by X25
Just installed the DeWitts AUX cooler!
Simple modifications (explained later):
  1. Used plastic retainers that I've recovered from OEM deflector instead of rivets.
  2. Used the OEM plumbing, and just connected to them with 2x 5/8" hose connectors (not provided).
  3. Also needed 2 more hose clamps (kit comes with 4)

These are the contents out of the box. There were a few things missing for me; I'll get to that later.

We start by removing the bottom covers.

Here's the OEM AUX cooler in its full glory.

Once I removed it, I was greeted by all this crap trapped by the bottom of supercharger HX. Cigarette bud? The car is only at 3500 miles!

The area is now cut per instructions, and it's now time to install the deflector. Modification 1: Instead of using rivets, I just drilled two small holes by the deflector's sides, and used plastic retainers that I've removed from OEM deflector. This way, I can easily remove it if I need to.

New core is now installed. Here I put the OEM cooler on the top to show the difference in size. No, my hand is not that long; it's the fisheye effect of the wide-angle lens.

Modification 2: The OEM plumbing beautifully brings the lines all the way to the driver side. Instead of removing them completely, I just connected new hoses to these hoses. For that to work, you'll need 2x 5/8" heater hose connectors, like Gates 28604. These connectors did not come with the kit, but they were readily available at my local car parts store.

Here is the new core installed, with the first hose connected. This core looks like a symmetrical design, so I don't think it matters if you connect the hotter hose to one or the other.

Hose connectors connected to the OEM hose side. Modification 3: The kit came with 4 hose clamps, but if you do what I did, you will need 6 of them. I already had a few clamps laying around.

Here, the hoses are connected. Be careful not to keep the hoses too long, or they might kink.

Next up, cutting the 4 center ribs of the under tray. My long-handle dykes worked the best, and I was done in a few minutes.

How it looks (before I bolted down the bottom cover.

Done!! I did a test drive on the highway. I kept the car at 2nd gear, and kept revs at 5K+. This eventually increased the oil temps to 235 or so during my short drive, but coolant stayed around 212. Later I kept the car on first gear doing 50-55 MPH at my local state road (55 MPH speed limit), and I was able to hit 245 degrees F oil. and coolant got to 212 again. Well these lame tests don't tell much since I have OEM thermostat, but at least it seems to be working. The real test will be on Saturday at Oregon Raceway Park. 2300 ft elevation (think air) and expected 82 degrees F temps; almost identical to my last attempt, so I'm hoping to have a great comparison. Final Note, I did not open any holes on the bottom cover.

Last edited by X25; 07-11-2019 at 05:19 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by X25:
badhabit_wb (07-11-2019), BKorsaire (07-11-2019), Viking0728 (07-12-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 10:55 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Great install X25! I thought about including the two beaded hose couplings in the kit but that would only apply to 2018-19 cars that use the main radiator connections. It also introduces potential leak points. Nothing wrong with what you did, I probably would have done it too but it would create another specific instruction sheet for 14-17 and 18-19. Anyway, nice work! Looking forward to seeing the track results. td
Old 07-11-2019, 12:21 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Tom! Regarding what comes with the OEM cooler, I think it's non-base model 2016+ A8 cars and 2017+ M7 cars. So majority actually comes with the kit, but I'm sure those who don't would be more likely to get this kit.

For those who don't have the kit, though, they'll need to splice into the radiator hoses (if install will be like 17+ M7 cars). You might consider providing connectors for them?
Old 07-11-2019, 01:36 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Can't wait to see the track results. I'm getting a 19 in this month and this looks like the best bet for cooling.

Get notified of new replies

To DeWitts TOC/EOC Combination system

Old 07-13-2019, 08:32 AM
Pluggzz
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey all...just had the TC option installed this week along with the 70mm radiator in my 16 A8 Z. Tom, thank you for the phone conversation this week to help get this in properly!

Taking it to Watkins this weekend for Monday and Tuesday...and it looks like it will be mid 80's to 90. Will share results after I have it out!
The following 2 users liked this post by Pluggzz:
Basil2000 (07-13-2019), thebishman (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 04:20 PM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by Pluggzz
Hey all...just had the TC option installed this week along with the 70mm radiator in my 16 A8 Z. Tom, thank you for the phone conversation this week to help get this in properly!

Taking it to Watkins this weekend for Monday and Tuesday...and it looks like it will be mid 80's to 90. Will share results after I have it out!
Hi Pluggzz, I’m going to the glen this Monday and Tuesday too. I have a 15 z06 black on black with black rims. Massachusetts plates. Bone stock. My car was at the shop last week due to knock sensor. Had to clean the fuel system. Seems to be good now. I plan on upgrading cooling system this winter. This will be my 1st time to Watkins glen so I’m guessing i wont feel comfortable enough to push the car too hard this trip.
what will you be driving? If you see my car swing by and say hello.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:33 PM
Pluggzz
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Basil2000
Hi Pluggzz, I’m going to the glen this Monday and Tuesday too. I have a 15 z06 black on black with black rims. Massachusetts plates. Bone stock. My car was at the shop last week due to knock sensor. Had to clean the fuel system. Seems to be good now. I plan on upgrading cooling system this winter. This will be my 1st time to Watkins glen so I’m guessing i wont feel comfortable enough to push the car too hard this trip.
what will you be driving? If you see my car swing by and say hello.
Hey...awesome. I have a blue one with black rims and NY plates, first time here as well...we just arrived. Do you have the auto or manual? Will look out for you on Monday.

Quick Reply: DeWitts TOC/EOC Combination system