C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Unexpected high revs when downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 01:49 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Road machine
Didn't you read your owners manual??? I knew about the rev matching and I have an automatic....you know why....because I read the manual. Seriously how can you own a car like this and not read the manual first thing??? Did you know you have a 500 mile break in and then need to change the oil. There is some very important information in that little book, and if you don't read it you may be screwing up a great car.
I'm amazed the salesman didn't tell him about it. It's practically the first thing they all throw out there.

Because race car.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:17 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I hear you. But generally, people are still going from "instinct" and today's cars can't be always driven by instinct nor are they instinct-driven (play on words ). The infotainment, performance mode, gauge display, etc. are all examples of spending hours figuring it out, or minutes by reading the manual. It's like a smart phone, as they continue to "improve"- you can guess at a lot and get some of it right. But as the phone gets more packed with stuff-you can't figure it out by going on instinct. Think about the "locking feature" on the iphones if you try too many times to unlock it.

The alternative frequently taken isn't to read when an issue comes up; it's to google a remedy, watch a youtube vid, read someone else's problem matching yours, or come on a forum.
That is a pretty sad statement....and I know you are not advocating for not reading the manual. The real issue is that there is a lot of information in the manual that will either make or break this great machine. The break in procedure for instance. But later the guy who didn't read the manual will be the guy bitching that his motor went bad just because he was reving it to red line the day he picked it up. I heard a ton of stories of people with C6 Z06s about the valve guide issue. I read the manual and it said that you should not rev the car above 3k when the engine is cold. How many that bitched about the valve issue didn't read that?? My C6 Z06 never gave me a bit of trouble, and I loved that car. Reading the manual is the first thing I do with any car I buy, and for some reason I never have problems with any of my cars. Go figure.
The following users liked this post:
AORoads (10-19-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 08:00 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by BELVIN20
I wish Rev Match would be on at car start up, but since I have had my Z for over 2 years, it is now automatic for me to turn it on as soon as I start the car, love the feature.
You took my words
Old 10-16-2018, 10:40 PM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 246 Posts

I do not need a lecture from either of you aholes. This forum is supposed to be aplace where you can ask for help if you are unsure of something. I dont need a condescending answer
The following 2 users liked this post by SuperdadZ06:
Hate2Wait (10-19-2018), Scoobydoobydoo (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 10:46 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

When I first purchased my C7 I didn't think much about the OM. I figured it was similar to all the other OMs in cars that I had purchased previously (including our 2015 GMC Terrain). Not something to pay particular attention to.

Once I attended the Spring Mountain School I realized that beyond the general sections where they tell you how to put on a seat belt there were large sections of the manual that required memorizing. Those sections involved display selection, driving mode selection and track/competitive driving recommendations which include driving tips and maintenance requirements for cars seeing track duty. There are a ton of things that all work together when driving the car and a driver absolutely needs to know what to select based on the situation they find themselves in.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
AORoads (10-19-2018), SuperdadZ06 (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 04:16 PM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

You obviously have more time on your hands then I do, I read the manual to get the basics but the way the car reacted I didn't realize it was the rev matching. As far as the forum goes I learned more from the nice people on it then the manual
Old 10-17-2018, 10:24 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Dude, I’m speechless...you own a M7 Z06 and are unaware of ARM, LOL. Never wondered what those big paddles behind the wheel did? I’m sorry, but you can add me to the a* list..what a joke, are you trolling us?
rikhek (10-20-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 10:28 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Bob
The A8 also has a rev match feature--it automatically blips the throttle on down shifts. Interestingly, as on your M7 the biggest A8 throttle blip occurs on the third to second downshift. Must be a bigger drop in gear ratio than the other shifts. --Bob
All auto's rev match but that is not the featured by GM with switchable with the unused paddles from the A8.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:37 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperdadZ06
You obviously have more time on your hands then I do, I read the manual to get the basics but the way the car reacted I didn't realize it was the rev matching. As far as the forum goes I learned more from the nice people on it then the manual
I make sure I have the time to make sure I know about my vehicles, you should make time for that as well. As to the bold....why would you read it for the basics???? You should read it for the details like the one you missed about rev matching. I sure hope that Break in is part of your basics.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:22 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

LOL, I only made it through about volume 3 of the owner's manual set on my wife's car. By then, I had forgotten half of volume 1, and figured the situation would only get worse if I carried on through volume 6.
Is there any chance that I might be forgiven?
Old 10-18-2018, 08:13 PM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

I make sure I have the time to make sure I know about my vehicles, you should make time for that as well. As to the bold....why would you read it for the basics???? You should read it for the details like the one you missed about rev matching. I sure hope that Break in is part of your basics.
dont worry pal, I read enough and am doing just fine.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:26 AM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Is that what these bright red thingys that say “REV MATCH” are for?
Old 10-19-2018, 05:25 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

I can't believe you have a new member here that just bought his first Z , asks a simple question and for 3 pages he gets he's dragged over the coals. So much for the "brotherhood" of owning a Corvette.

Last edited by Scoobydoobydoo; 10-19-2018 at 05:29 PM.
SuperdadZ06 (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 06:06 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoobydoobydoo
I can't believe you have a new member here that just bought his first Z , asks a simple question and for 3 pages he gets he's dragged over the coals. So much for the "brotherhood" of owning a Corvette.
It's one thing if he said he didn't read the manual. He said he did.

Then gets mad when we question, "did you read the manual?" Or, "read the manual".

Then he follows up with rude PM's as to why you made the posts you did. Should i copy and paste the messages? I didn't say anything bad in my original post other than, "at least he knows he has a 19Z".

But instead i get a PM with name calling, insinuating that i have no life and that i'm broke and if i even own a Z.

Broke? Where did that come from? We all own the same car. And i'm in the medical field so i'm far from broke.

The dude needs a chill pill. If he can't take criticism, then don't post on a public forum.
Parcival (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 06:37 PM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Your comment was condescending and mean, if you dont have anything nice to say you should just shut up. No one should be subject to criticism in this forum, its not what its about. If you want to be mean go find a hate website. Its amazing that I started a thread asking for help and have to put up with people like you. You give Vette owners a bad name
Old 10-19-2018, 06:42 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperdadZ06
Your comment was condescending and mean, if you dont have anything nice to say you should just shut up. No one should be subject to criticism in this forum, its not what its about. If you want to be mean go find a hate website. Its amazing that I started a thread asking for help and have to put up with people like you. You give Vette owners a bad name
You don't take sarcasm that well either. So what happens now?

Are we all robots where we can't joke a little bit? And you're directing most of your comments to me when technically my sarcasm was the least damaging to your ego.

LIke i said, take a damn chill pill and enjoy the car.

Oh and read the manual.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:16 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MacRoadie

Is that what these bright red thingys that say “REV MATCH” are for?
Some say so the Auto has the same feature! Not! Auto down shift on their own and those "Rev Match" thing'ys become Paddles.

Get notified of new replies

To Unexpected high revs when downshifting

Old 10-19-2018, 07:21 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

I think we all need to chill here. This place is suppose to be for Corvette enthusiasts who are here to share the enjoyment of owning Americas finest sports car. Not a place to be ridiculed and made to look like a dumb ***. It may be time to close this thread and move onto more important and meaningful things .

Last edited by Scoobydoobydoo; 10-19-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:23 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Didn't you read your owners manual??? I knew about the rev matching and I have an automatic....you know why....because I read the manual. Seriously how can you own a car like this and not read the manual first thing??? Did you know you have a 500 mile break in and then need to change the oil. There is some very important information in that little book, and if you don't read it you may be screwing up a great car.
Lighten up Francis shezz! I just learned about my remote start I have had the car over a year. But I do admit I don't use remote start. Garage stays within 2 degrees of the house temp.
SuperdadZ06 (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 07:45 PM
Satanspawn
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoobydoobydoo
In all fairness, he didn't get dragged over the coals because of his question. It was because of his attitude after he was presented answers that had a touch of sarcasm.

The following 2 users liked this post by Satanspawn:
Parcival (10-19-2018), Z0HS1CK (10-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Unexpected high revs when downshifting