C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2019 Z06 base or 2019 GS with options

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 09:10 AM
TimCarlson
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What is eeryone's opinion of the Automatic verse Manual, I was dead set on getting manual, but seems they are not as popular?
Old 10-27-2018, 09:36 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

I would go GS. I love power just as much as the next guy but it is really difficult to enjoy that extra power where I am stuck driving. The M7 gearing in the Z06 is really tall so it can attempt to deal with the extra torque. 66mph in 1st, 93mph in 2nd. You need a lot of space for the Z06 to stretch its legs, which is why you usually see those videos of guys doing highway pulls somewhere in Mexico. The brute force creates major traction issues in 1st gear and you have to feather 2nd gear or you will spin as well. So, the dilemma is you have all this power that you are paying $14k more than the GS for but are you getting your moneys worth. Don't get me wrong, overpowering the chassis and tires can be fun but can get annoying after a while.

The GS is often referred to the "sweet spot" in the Corvette lineup. It has the Z06 traction and suspension required to fully use the 460hp/465tq LT1. It is a better balanced package and you are able to put all the power down. Furthermore, the M7 gearing in the GS is more fun on the street to me. 1st gear takes you to 46mph, and 2nd gets you to 71mph. Still fast for the street but you are putting the power down and winding out gears, hearing the exhaust note sing. So, do you like super effortless power of the Z06 you would enjoying winding out the gears a bit more to extract the power?

Since it sounds like you are targeting a budget number you shouldn't compare a GS with options to a base Z06. If that is the case you should have labeled the post "additional 190hp or additional tech and creature comforts?" If you compare trim for trim then you will see the delta between a GS and Z06 is $14k. That is really what you need to ask yourself. What will you enjoy more, having the Z06 badge and extra power or the creature comforts? Also, think about what you would enjoy more a year from now. Keep in mind we have the ZR1 and the new mid engine C8 coming out.. Chasing horsepower and the next best thing is an expensive hobby.

For me, the top down, rowing your own gears and hearing the exhaust sing is really I need from this car. If you haven't heard the exhaust roar with the top down I highly recommend it. That said, I went with a 1LT GS Convertible M7 and it is awesome. Definitely fast enough, puts the power down, less expensive insurance and better gas mileage on the highway as side perks. Sweet spot.
The following users liked this post:
TimCarlson (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 09:38 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TimCarlson
What is eeryone's opinion of the Automatic verse Manual, I was dead set on getting manual, but seems they are not as popular?
The manual is less popular but more fun to drive. You save $1725 with a manual. My issue with the manual in the Z06 is the tall gearing. The stump pulling torque is great but you can't really wind out a gear.
TimCarlson (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 10:28 AM
TimCarlson
Heel & Toe

Thanks for your reply, I have a 2008 C6 z06 now, 18k miles and it is quick and fast as you most likely know, so for the first time I was asking for opinions, becasue I am concerened about going to a GS and missing the quickness of my z06... many of the other replys have opinions the GS is slow...My z06 is manual and it is a blast to drive,.. jus dont want to spend $40-$50k upgrading and miss my Z06............but it is 10 years old and time to get a new one... As far as a C8 I have a feeling thye will be $100k or more and most likley the better versions will take another year or 2 to come out. So I think I still have 3 years to enjoy a C7 z06 without getting run over by a c8......ha......rock on!
Old 10-27-2018, 10:43 AM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 310 Posts

Thanks for your reply, I have a 2008 C6 z06 now, 18k miles and it is quick and fast as you most likely know, so for the first time I was asking for opinions, becasue I am concerened about going to a GS and missing the quickness of my z06... many of the other replys have opinions the GS is slow...My z06 is manual and it is a blast to drive,.. jus dont want to spend $40-$50k upgrading and miss my Z06............but it is 10 years old and time to get a new one... As far as a C8 I have a feeling thye will be $100k or more and most likley the better versions will take another year or 2 to come out. So I think I still have 3 years to enjoy a C7 z06 without getting run over by a c8......ha......rock on!
My buddy has an 07 Ron Fellows C6 Z06 that’s modded and it’s barely faster than my 2017 GS. I don’t think you would miss the speed really, particularly if yours isn’t modded. If you know someone who has one or can get a dealer to let you take one for a spin go test it out and see what you think. I feel my GS is much better in corners than the old C6 Z06 as well.

You wont really be upgrading speed, but will be by far upgrading in everything else. However if you just want the extra 190hp of the Z06 I get that too.

As as far as manual vs auto, I got the auto and love it. One of the better autos I’ve had in a car for sure. Manuals can be more fun and when I get my project it will be a manual. Maybe find a dealer to test both of those out as well. That way you can which gives you the better experience you’d like to have.

Last edited by Mr Triple Black; 10-27-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:35 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by andreas g.
I have a base 16Z m7 paid $86000 out the door. Have put $10000 in mods. AFE, kook LT, 2300 Magnuson, 5% pulley with ATI balancer, expansion tank, and tuned. Love the car. Every corvette I’ve had has been moded. It’s a beast. Before the Supercharger upgrade went 197 at the Mojave magnum mile. No regrets
This! Makes the Corvette 1000 percent better and hard to beat for any stock car! Aftermarket makes a better blower!
Old 10-27-2018, 11:48 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Originally Posted by falcon5619
I would go GS. I love power just as much as the next guy but it is really difficult to enjoy that extra power where I am stuck driving. The M7 gearing in the Z06 is really tall so it can attempt to deal with the extra torque. 66mph in 1st, 93mph in 2nd. You need a lot of space for the Z06 to stretch its legs, which is why you usually see those videos of guys doing highway pulls somewhere in Mexico. . So, the dilemma is you have all this power that you are paying $14k more than the GS for but are you getting your moneys worth. Don't get me wrong, overpowering the chassis and tires can be fun but can get annoying after a while.

The GS is often referred to the "sweet spot" in the Corvette lineup. It has the Z06 traction and suspension required to fully use the 460hp/465tq LT1. It is a better balanced package and you are able to put all the power down. Furthermore, the M7 gearing in the GS is more fun on the street to me. 1st gear takes you to 46mph, and 2nd gets you to 71mph. Still fast for the street but you are putting the power down and winding out gears, hearing the exhaust note sing. So, do you like super effortless power of the Z06 you would enjoying winding out the gears a bit more to extract the power?

Since it sounds like you are targeting a budget number you shouldn't compare a GS with options to a base Z06. If that is the case you should have labeled the post "additional 190hp or additional tech and creature comforts?" If you compare trim for trim then you will see the delta between a GS and Z06 is $14k. That is really what you need to ask yourself. What will you enjoy more, having the Z06 badge and extra power or the creature comforts? Also, think about what you would enjoy more a year from now. Keep in mind we have the ZR1 and the new mid engine C8 coming out.. Chasing horsepower and the next best thing is an expensive hobby.

For me, the top down, rowing your own gears and hearing the exhaust sing is really I need from this car. If you haven't heard the exhaust roar with the top down I highly recommend it. That said, I went with a 1LT GS Convertible M7 and it is awesome. Definitely fast enough, puts the power down, less expensive insurance and better gas mileage on the highway as side perks. Sweet spot.

answering for yourself but be careful about making statements like "The brute force creates major traction issues in 1st gear and you have to feather 2nd gear or you will spin as well" because that's not factually correct.

There is no LT1 equipped stock GS or C7 that can accelerate quicker than even my non Z07 equipped A8 to 60. Not even on the street.

I've gone 3.2 in the heat and it always cracks off 3.3 3.4 without any tricks or special precautions. All nannies on.

and that is the only place an LT1 equipped C7 has a chance at being more capable or feeling more exhilarating than an lt4 equipped C7.

point is, unless you've owned not driven once or twice but own/ed an LT4 car? You dont know how to use it correctly. It took me 6 mos to figure out what I can and cant do before I extracted the most from it.

The magazine writers and occasional reviewers dont know what they're talking about spending a few days with the car here and there. Take it from the owners with pdr and go pro footage of what a Z06 is capable of in any owner's hands once they learn their car.

when the c7 came out I went with my buddy to pick up his low VIN number 7 speed z51 I drove that car and my other Buddies identical C7 as well as plenty of A6 and A8 LT1 equipped cars outside of one with a procharger nothing comes close to a driving one of these lt4 equip cards feels like and once you drive one be prepared did not feel fulfilled if you love The exhilaration of Brute acceleration and power.

the difference between a C6 and C6 Z06 is nothing compared to a C7 and a C7 ZO6.

it's more on par with a C6 and C6 ZR1 difference

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 10-27-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:47 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,145 Posts

If the ongoing rumors are true. There's going to be many versions of the C8. With a hybrid being 1000hp and of course in the 200k+ range. So you don't have to worry about seeing many of those everyday.

If you have a C6Z now, you'll be disappointed greatly going to a C7GS. A C6Z is almost as fast as a stage 1 C7Z, manual for manual.

If the prices are similar, why would anyone ever go with a slower car? THink about it.

Both same body styles, same price, one model being one up on the "status" list, and people go with the slower car? lol why? it makes no sense.

If the GS was 50k and the Z is 80-90K i get it. But both can be had for the same price, why would you want to give up 200hp?

If the power is too much for you, don't use all of it.

The thing about the Z06 is that even at partial throttle is still faster than a GS at partial throttle. With the Z you have immediately power and torque all the time. YOu basically are never in the wrong gear at the wrong rpm, because there is torque everywhere.

With the GS i'm sure you get torque too since it's a v8 but as you wind out the rpm's, you're not getting up to speed as fast as you like lol.

TimCarlson (10-28-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 02:21 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06

With the GS i'm sure you get torque too since it's a v8 but as you wind out the rpm's, you're not getting up to speed as fast as you like lol.
V configuration, and the number of cylinders, have almost nothing to to with peak torque values.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:37 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
V configuration, and the number of cylinders, have almost nothing to to with peak torque values.
But we're talking about the LT1 V8, so it does have torque.

I didn't say all v8's have the same torque as the v8 in the z06.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:20 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,837 Likes on 660 Posts

If the GS was 50k and the Z is 80-90K i get it. But both can be had for the same price, why would you want to give up 200hp?
Pretty much the only thing that needed to be posted in this thread.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:19 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

If the ongoing rumors are true. There's going to be many versions of the C8. With a hybrid being 1000hp and of course in the 200k+ range. So you don't have to worry about seeing many of those everyday.
I don't see a C8 being much more than 5-10% of the current C7s, there's no way GM prices the majority of its current customers out of the Corvette market. Just my opinion.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:41 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

If you have a C6Z now, you'll be disappointed greatly going to a C7GS. A C6Z is almost as fast as a stage 1 C7Z, manual for manual.

If the prices are similar, why would anyone ever go with a slower car? THink about it.

Both same body styles, same price, one model being one up on the "status" list, and people go with the slower car? lol why? it makes no sense.

If the power is too much for you, don't use all of it.

The thing about the Z06 is that even at partial throttle is still faster than a GS at partial throttle. With the Z you have immediately power and torque all the time. YOu basically are never in the wrong gear at the wrong rpm, because there is torque everywhere.

For some, it is not about being too powerful for the driver, it is too powerful for where we are stuck driving. I can barely use the power of my GS where I live except for a highway on-ramp. Triple digits show up real quick and then you are shutting it down. All that torque down low is great but you can't really wind it out without some real space and risking jail time. It really is a test of restraint all of the time. Now if I lived in a rural area with great roads then it would be a different story but I am stuck in traffic 90% of the time.

The delta in price between the GS and Z06 trim for trim is $14k. For some the extra power is a must have and for other the 460hp/465tq is more than enough to put a smile on the drivers face. There really is no wrong choice, whatever makes you happy.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:44 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

For some, it is not about being too powerful for the driver, it is too powerful for where we are stuck driving. I can barely use the power of my GS where I live except for a highway on-ramp. Triple digits show up real quick and then you are shutting it down. All that torque down low is great but you can't really wind it out without some real space and risking jail time. It really is a test of restraint all of the time. Now if I lived in a rural area with great roads then it would be a different story but I am stuck in traffic 90% of the time.

The delta in price between the GS and Z06 trim for trim is $14k. For some the extra power is a must have and for other the 460hp/465tq is more than enough to put a smile on the drivers face. There really is no wrong choice, whatever makes you happy.
The thread title, AGAIN, is BASE z06 vs GS WITH OPTIONS. I already pointed out that a 1LZ which is the base Z, vs a 2LT GS which is a GS with options is a good comparable match up. Meaning it's a similar price. Where is the 14k difference you speak of with a 1LZ vs a 2LT?

I live in NJ so trust me i know all about being stuck in traffic. But when there's open road, there's open road and there is NO regret having a "faster car". When is there ever any regret having a faster car?

If the car is too fast and you can't use the speed at that moment, you wait until you can.

With a slower car, all you can do is just have fun in short spurts. But when there's open road, you'll want a faster car.

We are happy my friend, that's why we bought Z's lol. I don't think we would be if we all had grand sports. It's a good car but there's a reason why a lot of us chose the z06. Which you're reading in this thread why.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:20 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

The thread title, AGAIN, is BASE z06 vs GS WITH OPTIONS. I already pointed out that a 1LZ which is the base Z, vs a 2LT GS which is a GS with options is a good comparable match up. Meaning it's a similar price. Where is the 14k difference you speak of with a 1LZ vs a 2LT?
A GS 2LT MSRP is 71k, a Z06 1LZ is MSRP 81.5k. So, 10.5k between a GS 2LT and Z06 1LZ.

For someone who is only after the supercharger then they would compare trim for trim. For example, a 1LT GS compared to 1LZ Z06 is a 14k delta. It’s all good, I realize we are in the Z06 forum. I was just providing a perspective from the GS point of view since that is what is being compared here. Some feel that the GS is fast enough. I love the Z06 and probably would have sprung for the extra cash if I felt I could use the extra power more often on the street.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:36 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

No, 1lz's can be had for about 70k at this time of the year. Look at the major Corvette dealers. I got my 1lz brand new with 7 miles on it for 68.8. A 2LT is actually more since it looks like the deals aren't as good as the z.

I get what you're trying to say. Most people dont care about power. But when both models are the same price, why not? There is no downside in going with the z other than the fact that you're either scared of the car or if you wanted a higher trim package z and then the prices shoot up.

but 1lz vs 2lt, same price. Makes absolutely zero sense going with the slower car. And by slower I mean a lot slower. Were not talking about a smaller difference between. the z06 and zr1. The gap between a gs and a z06 is huge.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:22 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

No, 1lz's can be had for about 70k at this time of the year. Look at the major Corvette dealers. I got my 1lz brand new with 7 miles on it for 68.8. A 2LT is actually more since it looks like the deals aren't as good as the z.

I get what you're trying to say. Most people dont care about power. But when both models are the same price, why not? There is no downside in going with the z other than the fact that you're either scared of the car or if you wanted a higher trim package z and then the prices shoot up.

but 1lz vs 2lt, same price. Makes absolutely zero sense going with the slower car. And by slower I mean a lot slower. Were not talking about a smaller difference between. the z06 and zr1. The gap between a gs and a z06 is huge.
I agree with with you on the power but not the price. I agree that you can get a heavily discounted 1LZ Z06 at 81k MSRP for the low 70s from a big dealer but the same discounts would apply to a 2LT GS, which can be had for in the low 60s. So anyway you slice it there is about a 10k delta between a 1LZ Z06 and a 2LT GS. It is great that GM gives us so many ways to configure a Corvette to our liking. Hopefully the trend will continue with the C8.

Get notified of new replies

To 2019 Z06 base or 2019 GS with options

Old 10-29-2018, 11:01 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

I agree with with you on the power but not the price. I agree that you can get a heavily discounted 1LZ Z06 at 81k MSRP for the low 70s from a big dealer but the same discounts would apply to a 2LT GS, which can be had for in the low 60s. So anyway you slice it there is about a 10k delta between a 1LZ Z06 and a 2LT GS. It is great that GM gives us so many ways to configure a Corvette to our liking. Hopefully the trend will continue with the C8.

if you wanna get technical and picky then yes you're right. But it depends on color/trim/trans.

but there are still 2LT's that are within 2-3k or even same price, as in under 1k difference with a 1LZ cars.

like I said I got my car for 68.8 with a window price of 71k. I might even still have the pic I snapped before I drove the car home.

so deals can be had, for both cars. Even at 10k difference, the obvious choice is the z. Because I did a quick gander at the other section and you gs guys are modifying for more power anyway lol. So what's the point?

get the z and have more power all with the warranty. Makes zero sense, again, to go with a gs. Unless the difference is about 20k.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:11 AM
TimCarlson
Heel & Toe

Hello gents..... thanks the opinions... to clearify the original question I had for the vete comunity... I was never comparing prices for a 2019 Z06 and a 2019 GS... I was asking .... If I can afford a base Z06 which I can get for $72k.. but can't afford to go much higher and don't want to spend more than that....or i could s less and get a GS with all the options... So Base new Z06.. or an optioned GS.....So not comparing pricing just asking for opiions on best car if I can only spend enoor a 2019Base Z06... rock on
Old 10-29-2018, 11:20 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Base Z06 without a doubt.

Quick Reply: 2019 Z06 base or 2019 GS with options