C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Just ordered a QuickJack

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 07:51 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBSZ857
Is 21" the maximum height on all models of the quick lift or is that just for the 5000? Thanks in advance
Their web site will give you all the info.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:03 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by George_L
The Quickjack has mechanical stops at two different heights so they can't be lowered without releasing the stops. The mechanical stops are automatically set when raising the Quickjack so you can't forget to set them. I have really pushed on the car to see how safe they are and I can't budge the car. I have also run my car in gear (wheels spinning at 10 mph in 2nd gear) per the differential fill procedure with no problem. I don't think I would try that on jack stands.
Not going anywhere on jack stands not budging the car either. The 4 together are very strong. Not nothing against the quick jack but the stands are safe.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:48 AM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,426 Likes on 774 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Not going anywhere on jack stands not budging the car either. The 4 together are very strong. Not nothing against the quick jack but the stands are safe.
I've used jack stands for years without issue. The bonus with the quick jack is not having to jack up one end of the car and secure it and then do the other end. The whole car comes up at once. I do place jack stands under the cross members as added security but that's because I've been crushed once by a falling car and made a vow to never let that happen again.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:11 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

With the quickjack once you set it down on the stops the only way it could fall is if something hit the car in the side hard enough to tip it over. I can't imagine the stop bars crushing but I guess if they rusted for years they might get weaker.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:42 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

21 inches appears to be the limit no matter which blocks you use. Great for removing wheels and light maintenance but you definitely need a low clearance creeper. I am going to get a set from Cosco. The motorcycle lift adaptor was the deciding factor for me as well as portability.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:50 PM
TJC333
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
With the quickjack once you set it down on the stops the only way it could fall is if something hit the car in the side hard enough to tip it over. I can't imagine the stop bars crushing but I guess if they rusted for years they might get weaker.
The instruction manual for the Quickjack says you still need to use safety stands. I have the 5000 model and love it. If a weld brakes the car is coming down on you. No way I am getting under a car with only the Quickjack holding it up.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:00 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TJC333
The instruction manual for the Quickjack says you still need to use safety stands. I have the 5000 model and love it. If a weld brakes the car is coming down on you. No way I am getting under a car with only the Quickjack holding it up.
It's interesting that your manual says you need to use jack stands because mine doesn't. Maybe you have an older model or something? I found this on their website as well http://www.quickjack.com/why-quickja...t-jack-stands/
Old 11-12-2018, 04:32 PM
TJC333
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
It's interesting that your manual says you need to use jack stands because mine doesn't. Maybe you have an older model or something? I found this on their website as well http://www.quickjack.com/why-quickja...t-jack-stands/
Bought it new last month. Page 26 in the manual says "Do not work under and elevated vehicle unless properly rated vehicle jack stands are used and placed under the factory approved jacking points." I interpret this to mean safety stands are still required though it does appear to contradict with what you found on their website.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:40 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

Well I just got my quickjack the other day to install an xpipe and Like others have mention, I was not very comfortable being under the car. It is stable and doesn't move or wobble, there was room for the working and pulling the exhaust off with no issues but it was not a place I was 100% comfortable being in.

Thought about making some sort of elevated cradle for the tires, raise the car with quickjack, slide the tire cradle under it, lower and remove the jack? Repeat process to remove tire cradles. Now that I think of it, you could maybe even get the car higher then with a second lifting using the truck adapter after the first lift ... Hmm, I'm gonna work on this one.

Most likely though, I'll get a 4 post lift for under car work and use the quickjack for tires off the ground repairs. Added bonus is storage and making room for another toy!
Old 11-12-2018, 04:54 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Bought it new last month. Page 26 in the manual says "Do not work under and elevated vehicle unless properly rated vehicle jack stands are used and placed under the factory approved jacking points." I interpret this to mean safety stands are still required though it does appear to contradict with what you found on their website.
I got mine if Feb but I didn't see it in that manual. The one I downloaded didn't have it. It may be something new. It will take something a lot heavier than a car to crush those locking bars though. I always check that they are locked and I always have it in the top position when I go under a car. With a creeper it almost has to be anyway. I'll check my paper manual when I get home.
On page 28 it says not to work under an elevated vehicle unless a properly rated vehicle jack stands are in place under the factory recommended lift points but I don't think that is for the quick jacks because later it says never raise one side or one corner which would be impossible with a quickjack if you used it according to the instructions.

Last edited by badhabit_wb; 11-12-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:57 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

That's exactly how I take it as well. With that being said and the more I think about it it really is nothing more than a nice/easy way to lift all 4 corners at once. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome, but I think a lot of us are buying it, thinking it's more that just a fancy jack. I know I did!

Oh, and mine was missing the manual (Thank you UPS!)

Last edited by HooosierDaddy; 11-12-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:16 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Well.... Like normal someone has already beat me to the punch.

Wheel Cribs, Use quickjack to lift and place these under the tires! Much safer IMO. But by the time you purchase a quick jack and the wheel cribs needed to get it high enough you could have bought a 4 post lift.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:08 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy
Well.... Like normal someone has already beat me to the punch.

Wheel Cribs, Use quickjack to lift and place these under the tires! Much safer IMO. But by the time you purchase a quick jack and the wheel cribs needed to get it high enough you could have bought a 4 post lift.

Theres zero chance I’d ever work on a car that was perched on those things. No way to chock a wheel, and the depressions aren’t all that deep. I could see a car rolling off those way too easily.

There is a video on the QuickJack website that shows them loading something like 15,000# on to one with no failure.

My lift is arriving tomorrow. I’ll get it assembled and put the car up on it tomorrow night, and get some measurements from the floor up to a few points on the underside of the car. (x-pipe, diff drain plug, tranny drain plug, etc).

Last edited by MacRoadie; 11-12-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:18 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MacRoadie

Theres zero chance I’d ever work on a car that was perched on those things. No way to chock a wheel, and the depressions aren’t all that deep. I could see a car rolling off those way too easily.

There is a video on the QuickJack website that shows them loading something like 15,000# on to one with no failure.

My lift is arriving tomorrow. I’ll get it assembled and put the car up on it tomorrow night, and get some measurements from the floor up to a few points on the underside of the car. (x-pipe, diff drain plug, tranny drain plug, etc).
there was plenty of room under the lift. For me, I was uneasy with it. I'm sure that with more use and time I'd get use to it and come to trust it more... come to think of it, I've only used it once, maybe I shouldn't be giving opinions/advise based on my experience.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:00 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

I've had my car up on the lift quite a bit and I'm very comfortable with it now. I wouldn't crawl under it if I didn't think it was safe. In my opinion much safer than 4 jack stands.If I had to guess I'd say I've averaged 4 times a month since February. I swap tires and brakes after every event and I also put the big brake kit on using it and use it to lift the car for alignments. I'm guessing the 4 times a month is very conservative probably almost twice that. I got the 12v version and I wouldn't change that. It's faster than the 120v and I've fixed a quick disconnect for the battery cables so I can use it anywhere.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:09 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

If anyone who has a quickjack 5000 can tell me how you get the car up past 21 inches of total jack lift with any combination of quick jack accessories please tell me how.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:37 PM
chrispitude
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, group buy/discount code going on here:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=412773

Get notified of new replies

To Just ordered a QuickJack

Old 01-20-2019, 08:38 AM
Wtgrantham
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A million bad reviews on Costco on the quality on arrival of the quickjack and customer service. Any thoughts on that?
Old 01-20-2019, 09:13 AM
chrispitude
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wtgrantham
A million bad reviews on Costco on the quality on arrival of the quickjack and customer service. Any thoughts on that?
I think it's something you need to factor into your decision. Everyone seems to get what they need (eventually) and even those people are happy with the outcome, if not the process.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:43 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

When I got mine at my place of work the driver only left 2 packages. I knew it should of been 3 but I was not there when they came. About 30 mins later he returned with the third box that had the hydraulic pump. He didn't realize there was a third box.

Quick Reply: Just ordered a QuickJack