C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tyler Chevrolet - Niles Michigan Dealer Vehicle Abuse

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 09:13 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I had a video of a dude passing on a 2 lane and ran 4 of us off the road, else it would have been a head on at high speed.

Video clearly showed his front plate, face and plates of cars he was passing. I called the Ohio highway patrol and even went in person to offer the video.

Was told if they are not there they cannot do a post arrest.

If I was taking my car in for such a minor repair I would never have left it. My dealer knows I always wait for my car and stroll by the service bays as it’s being worked on.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:18 AM
Jvm728
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

GM hit me back and needs the file direct from PDR, not through YouTube, so I have to zip those up and transfer them. They don’t seem pleased. Also got a phone call from them. Am in hospital for some medical procedure stuff but should close loop on GM and police today after release.

10pm coverage from Monday night. This shows my mood a little better. Car looks mean. Scott Tyler is digging a deeper grave

The following 3 users liked this post by Jvm728:
Harbgrogan (11-14-2018), ShagVette (11-14-2018), silver74vette (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 10:53 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

car does look good in the rolling video. The concave wheels looks great too.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:46 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

move on and find another dealer is my opinion. I didn't see any damage to your car, traffic violations maybe but i don't think any compensation due to you and techs job none of your concern imo also you don't know the techs ability or qualifications, were you mad because it was a young lady. yes she was wrong but no damage to car so let dealer deal with it and quit crying about it on web. I have always found going to dealer best for satisfaction. my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by LT1driver; 11-15-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:49 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,837 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1driver
move on and find another dealer is my opinion. I didn't see any damage to your car, traffic violations maybe but i don't think any compensation due to you and techs job none of your concern imo
The tech's job is absolutely his concern because he took the customer's car on an unauthorized joyride. How can any reasonable person not get that?
Old 11-15-2018, 01:24 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

No it is dealers concern not owner or yours, people need to deal with this type of problem like an adult not crybaby going on social media, but people are free to do as they please. my 2 cents unless owner knows for sure it could have been authorized test drive with irresponsible driving etc. so as i said let dealer take care of their business. what I did or do to my employees is none of anybodies business especially on social media, Nuff said

Last edited by LT1driver; 11-15-2018 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:17 AM
Harbgrogan
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

what I did or do to my employees is none of anybodies business
Damn what did you do to those poor bastards?
Old 11-15-2018, 07:30 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,200 Likes on 592 Posts

No it is dealers concern not owner or yours, people need to deal with this type of problem like an adult not crybaby going on social media, but people are free to do as they please. my 2 cents unless owner knows for sure it could have been authorized test drive with irresponsible driving etc. so as i said let dealer take care of their business. what I did or do to my employees is none of anybodies business especially on social media, Nuff said
Most ridiculous post ever and you actually have employees working for you? Did you graduate high school? What you DO to them is your business but what they do to or how they treat customers is everyone's business. Read the OPs post in entirety. The dealer decided to brush this off rather than consider the actions of the employee and take proper action. Could have avoided all of the negative publicity. Now he gets to explain this to those at GM investigating the incident. In no way would this test drive ever be justified. It was wrong, they were wrong and this is a perfect example of a business that was caught and won't face up to their mistakes. If you cannot see the improper behavior in this I feel sorry for both your employees and your customers.
The following 5 users liked this post by JDSKY:
iw172 (11-15-2018), Majorhavok (01-07-2019), seamus2154 (11-16-2018), ShagVette (11-15-2018), tertiumquid (11-16-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 08:09 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I had a lengthy conversation about this subject with several of my Corvette buddies yesterday. What I find ironic is that we drive $90,000-$100,000+ cars, and yet we're hesitant to take them back to the dealer for oil changes, repairs, etc. I often wonder if Ferrari, Porsche, and Lamborghini owners feel the same way. My car is my passion and I want it treated as such.

Several years ago I took my Z06 to a local Chevrolet dealer a couple of times for an oil change. I'm not big on the dealership, but I know the technician very well and got to stay with my car and watch him change the oil. This same technician had done all the performance work on a my C5 at a private shop. After the oil change I heard some questionable rumors about the technician, so I decided to check the maintenance history on my car. When I checked, I found that my last oil change was not on my maintenance history, but warranty work for a "squeaky" dash was. Keep in mind I watched him put my car on the lift, change the oil, take it off the lift and back it out of the service bay. At no time did he enter my car to work on the dash, which by the way never had a squeak. What irritated me the most was that I had know this technician for years and considered him a good friend. When I called the service department and told them I wanted the warranty work removed from my vehicle history, they told me they couldn't do it. I then called the GM complaint line and told them the story. They didn't seem concerned at all, said there was nothing GM could do, and referred me back to the dealership. Admittedly, I got tired of getting the run around, and let the matter drop. I should have pursued it because in hindsight I know this tech was doing oil changes and other minor mechanical work and claiming time for nonexistent problems under warranty. What really bothers me is that I considered this person a trusted friend and he pulled the wool over my eyes. I know the dealership knows what was going on because it also happened to several other people I know. I haven't been back to the dealership or talked to the technician since.

As a side note, I should have know something was up when I asked what I owed and he said not to worry about it he'd "take care of it."

Last edited by DevilDog II; 11-15-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:11 AM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I had a lengthy conversation about this subject with several of my Corvette buddies yesterday. What I find ironic is that we drive $90,000-$100,000+ cars, and yet we're hesitant to take them back to the dealer for oil changes, repairs, etc. I often wonder if Ferrari, Porsche, and Lamborghini owners feel the same way. My car is my passion and I want it treated as such.

Several years ago I took my Z06 to a local Chevrolet dealer a couple of times for an oil change. I'm not big on the dealership, but I know the technician very well and got to stay with my car and watch him change the oil. This same technician had done all the performance work on a my C5 at a private shop. After the oil change I heard some questionable rumors about the technician, so I decided to check the maintenance history on my car. When I checked, I found that my last oil change was not on my maintenance history, but warranty work for a "squeaky" dash was. Keep in mind I watched him put my car on the lift, change the oil, take it off the lift and back it out of the service bay. At no time did he enter my car to work on the dash, which by the way never had a squeak. What irritated me the most was that I had know this technician for years and considered him a good friend. When I called the service department and told them I wanted the warranty work removed from my vehicle history, they told me they couldn't do it. I then called the GM complaint line and told them the story. They didn't seem concerned at all, said there was nothing GM could do, and referred me back to the dealership. Admittedly, I got tired of getting the run around, and let the matter drop. I should have pursued it because in hindsight I know this tech was doing oil changes and other minor mechanical work and claiming time for nonexistent problems under warranty. What really bothers me is that I considered this person a trusted friend and he pulled the wool over my eyes. I know the dealership knows what was going on because it also happened to several other people I know. I haven't been back to the dealership or talked to the technician since.

As a side note, I should have know something was up when I asked what I owed and he said not to worry about it he'd "take care of it."
What you are not taking into account is that Corvettes are a minor part of most dealerships revenue stream as opposed to the other brands you mention whose revenue stream is almost 100% upscale models (as opposed to the typical Chevy vehicle).

If you can take the car to a dealership, like Criswell in Md, who sells a lot of Corvettes and has techs who work on them all day full time, these kind of problems are highly unusual. One can complain that it shouldn't be that way but reality is what it is regradless what your feelings may dictate.

There is a Chevy dealership about 2 miles up the road from me. The one and only Corvette tech freely admits he spends little time working on Corvettes due to the typical business this dealership does. For that reason I drive about 40 miles to the above mentioned Chevy store to do work I choose not to do myself.

Last edited by ronsc1985; 11-15-2018 at 09:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DevilDog II (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 09:40 AM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Well instead of the manager admitting this was a problem and taking care of it the right way, now the dealership is blasted all over social media, the news, has tons of bad reviews. The manager could have avoided ALL of this by reprimanding the tech and apologizing and compensating the owner. Clearly the service manager is a complete idiot. Literally.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:25 AM
Jvm728
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennispro1986
Well instead of the manager admitting this was a problem and taking care of it the right way, now the dealership is blasted all over social media, the news, has tons of bad reviews. The manager could have avoided ALL of this by reprimanding the tech and apologizing and compensating the owner. Clearly the service manager is a complete idiot. Literally.
agree. Just got off of the phone with Chevrolet Customer care. They reviewed my information and said "Sorry we can't do anything. Dealerships are independently owned and operated. We understand your frustration. Anything else we can help with?"

So, oh well. News came to me on this one based on jalopnik article. I don't feel bad for telling the story, but it seems like case closed here. The sherrif office is taking the videos and they'll do whatever but I have no say in anything, which I'm totally fine with. I'm happy to report or tell the story but I'm not trying to force punishment. To me, the behavior and handling of it was pitiful. What an interesting week!
Harbgrogan (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 10:42 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
If you can take the car to a dealership, like Criswell in Md, who sells a lot of Corvettes and has techs who work on them all day full time, these kind of problems are highly unusual. One can complain that it shouldn't be that way but reality is what it is regradless what your feelings may dictate.
When I purchased my C5 I took it to this dealership (not where I purchased my C5) because of the technician. He was touted as one of the best Corvette techs in the country. As I said, he did all the performance work on my C5, which included a supercharger, cam, headers, transmission upgrades, suspension, brakes, etc., etc. What angers me the most is that regardless of our friendship, he decided to submit a warranty claim for work that he didn't perform on my car instead of an oil change. In addition, the dealership knew what he was doing because it happened to several other people. What's even more amazing is that he's still working at the dealership.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:42 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
When I purchased my C5 I took it to this dealership (not where I purchased my C5) because of the technician. He was touted as one of the best Corvette techs in the country. As I said, he did all the performance work on my C5, which included a supercharger, cam, headers, transmission upgrades, suspension, brakes, etc., etc. What angers me the most is that regardless of our friendship, he decided to submit a warranty claim for work that he didn't perform on my car instead of an oil change. In addition, the dealership knew what he was doing because it happened to several other people. What's even more amazing is that he's still working at the dealership.
It sounds like the dealership was making the mechanic charge for the warranty work, not the other way around. The dealership is the one that stands to make money from extra charges. The mechanic is paid hourly.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:24 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by 383vett
It sounds like the dealership was making the mechanic charge for the warranty work, not the other way around. The dealership is the one that stands to make money from extra charges. The mechanic is paid hourly.
Personally, I think the dealership didn't do or say anything because they would have owed GM thousands and thousands of dollars for the warranty work. Regardless, I'll never go back there again.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:37 PM
revo1059
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

This is a ridiculous statement.While social media can be a PITA, it can also be useful for when there is inaction on the part of a company. You really think the dealer would have done anything at all if this hadn't been made public? He's barely acknowledging it now. Maybe the tech learned something and won't take a customer car 94 in a 45 because of the publicity this has gotten. Maybe that saves a car down the road from crashing when that tech DOESN'T do 95 because of this.
Harbgrogan (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 01:17 PM
Texan79423
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 138 Posts

Enough is enough already. We can't ever allow this to happen again. Nothing is happening to satisfy me/us. We must take action!
The media is of no help, police don't care, I am so hurt by their actions. I propose we all meet at the dealership with bull horns maybe a 100 or so in the MOB. When they resist we rush them, run the sales staff out of the offices and have a real sit in. Mean while some of the more angered people do a smash and grab on accessories and parts.

We must take action!
seamus2154 (11-16-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Tyler Chevrolet - Niles Michigan Dealer Vehicle Abuse

Old 11-15-2018, 02:14 PM
Harbgrogan
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Enough is enough already. We can't ever allow this to happen again. Nothing is happening to satisfy me/us. We must take action!
The media is of no help, police don't care, I am so hurt by their actions. I propose we all meet at the dealership with bull horns maybe a 100 or so in the MOB. When they resist we rush them, run the sales staff out of the offices and have a real sit in. Mean while some of the more angered people do a smash and grab on accessories and parts.

We must take action!
Would you rather chant and bring tiki torches?
Old 11-15-2018, 03:44 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Awhile back, when I was racing every weekend, spring through fall, I got to know a lot of dealership mechanics from all makes. They universally did not like warranty repairs since the time allotted by the manufacturer was not sufficient to accomplish the tasks properly. They had to do it properly since any comebacks were on their time and unpaid. Since they were not paid hourly, but kind of by the job, they lost money. In order to get even they, with the approval of the dealerships, added in some warranty work that was not needed, not performed but charged to the manufacturers. The customer was not charged anything extra. Apparently the dealerships kept tabs on this so as to not be way out of range on the total warranty work being claimed. Since most everyone was doing it to some extent the manufacturers couldn't spot the overage.

I have no idea what goes on currently but I'd doubt anything has changed. When money is involved I have always found assume the worst and hope you get lucky..
Harbgrogan (11-15-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 10:45 AM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan79423

We must take action!
Don't forget to where hoodies and masks too!!!! We need total anarchy and must break things and act uncivil. Then the news will come and we can call it a "protest" and our first amendment right!! We must RESIST this corporate animal........

Quick Reply: Tyler Chevrolet - Niles Michigan Dealer Vehicle Abuse