C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C8--it must be tempting

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 01:37 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Savoy2001

I agree with you mostly. But when you say lights out better than c7 Z06 I have too question that. The current Z06/zr1 already hang with the world's best current me high end offerings so what can be"lights out" better? If you said incrementally better I would tend to agree. Is the 458/488 me lights out better than the 812 super fast? From what I've seen online and read the answer is no. Different driving experience yes but not lights out better. That's my take.
It's simple really.

The C6Z outperforms the C5Z. The C7Z outperforms the C6Z. The C8Z, will outperform the C7Z.

The car gets better with each generation that comes out. Why do people think the buck stops here with the C7Z/ZR? Because we think there's nothing more left GM can give us? I man when the C6ZR came about, 638hp, that was out of this world. We didn't think that was possible. And it was, and it's an amazing car. Then the C7Z came out and wrecked that in terms of overall engineering, hp numbers, sales. Then GM did it again with the C7 ZR1.

Don't be fooled to think the performance had hit it's limit. GM has prepared a whole new level of performance with each type of variant you buy. Whether you start at base or go to the top tier model. Whether it's a hybrid, or some monster engine with twin turbos making 800hp. It will be an absolute beast.

And the reason they can pull off more hp numbers, is because now it's mid engine. And traction will be there. Or perhaps they might do something like the acura nsx. But that'll be pricey.

But again we're all speculating. And it's fun dreaming about what the car would be. But all we have to do is wait, because it is coming to reality. So it's not just a dream anymore, it's happening.

The greatest corvette will be made with the C8 generation. Everyone just look at your C7's. You love them right? I know i love mine. But when the C8 comes out, that love might be gone LOL
Old 12-30-2018, 02:51 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
It's simple really.

The C6Z outperforms the C5Z. The C7Z outperforms the C6Z. The C8Z, will outperform the C7Z.
Perhaps, if you want to ignore the first-year C6 failing to out-perfom the most developed C5, and the first-year C7 failing to outperform the most developed C6's. I won't be in any rush to purchase the fisrt-year C8.

Old 12-30-2018, 03:01 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,345 Likes on 778 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

"The greatest corvette will be made with the C8 generation. Everyone just look at your C7's. You love them right? I know i love mine. But when the C8 comes out, that love might be gone"

And that's the way it happens! I look forward to the higher performance models of the C8 whenever that is!

Last edited by BearZ06; 12-30-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:08 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Perhaps, if you want to ignore the first-year C6 failing to out-perfom the most developed C5, and the first-year C7 failing to outperform the most developed C6's. I won't be in any rush to purchase the fisrt-year C8.
Like i said, we're not talking about debut models but the generation as a whole, it will be lights out better than the C7. Just as the C7 is lights out better than the C6. And who said anything about getting the first year? It didn't even debut yet. No pricing, no knowledge of what engines it's coming out with, no date it's hitting the showroom, hell we don't even know what the car looks like. And yet everyone is going bonkers,"oh no it's no good, too many problems, no way i'm getting the first year, i love my C7, i'll take it to the grave with me!!!! RAHHHHHHH!!".

It's childish but yet amusing to watch grown people talk like this lol

We don't know anything about the car, since nothing is revealed yet, but people want to shoot it down like it's totally discontinuing what you own or could own or previous models lol.

Like i said, IMHO, it sounds like insecurity.

We should all be happy and thank GM they're finally giving us a mid engine corvette. I never imagine so much dislike and mocking, corvette owners at that, over ANOTHER CORVETTE that went from a dream to a reality, and it didn't even debut yet. Crazy.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:38 PM
solotronics
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Cercone
180k is what I read for base model.
Sir, put down and step away from the crack pipe.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:44 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
It has to look good before I get excited because I find many expensive, mid-engine exotics ugly.
I agree it's going to need to look good in order to be excited about it. I just hope most of the renderings are off the mark (they usually are) because a lot of them are hideous. I've seen a few renderings I could live with. But I'm not basing anything off of those guesses. Just have to wait & see how it actually turns out. I differ from you since I like most rear mid-engine exotics so hopefully I'll like the C8. The one brand that I like the least when it comes to the look of their models is McLaren but they sure do perform well.

Originally Posted by MSG C5
If it is drop dead sexy and it does have the performance improvements speculated, then I'm sure I will probably get the itch in 2-3 years to trade up. However, it will be hard for me to part with my new C7Z Z07/M7 as I'm having so much fun with it, especially with the ARM matched up with my Borla X-pipe. This is my first manual since driving a work truck in college and I'm really enjoying rowing the gears as I have some nice back road twisties that I enjoy. I know automatic transmission technology is now more advanced than prior generation slush boxes, but it will be tough giving up this car to trade into the C8. If all works out well, maybe I will just add to the stable.

Either way, the future is here. I fully expect a Tesla-inspired full electric version within 5 years.
For now my plan is similar. I'd like to buy a C8 in a few years once the higher hp versions arrive & also keep my M7 Z07. I think it would be nice to have a front engine/rear drive M7 & a rear mid-engine with a DCT. Then I'd just have to decide which one to drive. Though life usually doesn't work out as I would like it to so I'll just have to wait & see what happens. Who knows, I could be driving an '86 Yugo 2 or 3 years from now. I guess it would be more correct to say I might be riding in the tow truck towing the Yugo 2 or 3 years from now (since they broke down every 100 feet or so ).
Old 12-30-2018, 04:48 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,345 Likes on 778 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by Cercone

180k is what I read for base model.

With GMs lack of support with the issues with the c7z, I doubt I’ll buy their top dog anymore.
NO WAY the base will be even near that number. Why don't we all just wait until GM does the talking, then we'll know.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 04:56 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Like i said, we're not talking about debut models but the generation as a whole, it will be lights out better than the C7. Just as the C7 is lights out better than the C6. And who said anything about getting the first year?
A number of people have. It's not all about you.

We don't know anything about the car,
Maybe you don't.....

Old 12-30-2018, 05:06 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
A number of people have. It's not all about you.

Maybe you don't.....

I'm more concerned about buying a first-year anything. And I can't think of an example where a fist-year Corvette was anything close to the final development of that series.
Take the C7 Stingray, versus the Z06 and C7 ZR1 for example, or the base C6, versus the C6 Z06 and C6 ZR1.
I know a lot of people worry about 1st year models but I don't. I had a '97 C5 & it was fine for the time I owned it. It had around 43K miles on it when I sold it. The biggest issue was when I turned it into a submarine & my insurance company spent $18K+ fixing it but the flooded out frontage road wasn't the cars fault.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:57 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
I know a lot of people worry about 1st year models but I don't. I had a '97 C5 & it was fine for the time I owned it. It had around 43K miles on it when I sold it. The biggest issue was when I turned it into a submarine & my insurance company spent $18K+ fixing it but the flooded out frontage road wasn't the cars fault.
lol it's funny the excuses people make to justify themselves into already stating why they don't like/won't upgrade to the C8. It really is laughable reading the comments daily anytime the C8 is mentioned.

Ok let's get the debut year out of the way, let's call it 2 known problems. But easy fixes, ok the 2021 model is better, with the 2022 model having already the performance variant on the way. Now what? People are still going to say, ehhh let me wait until the 6th or 7th year of the C8, then i'll upgrade just as the possible C9 is on the way lol.

People need to get over it already. The C8 is going to be epic. I can't wait for the debut.

So can't wait for that DUUALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL CLUTCHHHHHHHHH!!! LOL
Old 12-30-2018, 06:53 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Like i said, we're not talking about debut models but the generation as a whole, it will be lights out better than the C7. Just as the C7 is lights out better than the C6. And who said anything about getting the first year? It didn't even debut yet. No pricing, no knowledge of what engines it's coming out with, no date it's hitting the showroom, hell we don't even know what the car looks like. And yet everyone is going bonkers,"oh no it's no good, too many problems, no way i'm getting the first year, i love my C7, i'll take it to the grave with me!!!! RAHHHHHHH!!".

It's childish but yet amusing to watch grown people talk like this lol

We don't know anything about the car, since nothing is revealed yet, but people want to shoot it down like it's totally discontinuing what you own or could own or previous models lol.

Like i said, IMHO, it sounds like insecurity.

We should all be happy and thank GM they're finally giving us a mid engine corvette. I never imagine so much dislike and mocking, corvette owners at that, over ANOTHER CORVETTE that went from a dream to a reality, and it didn't even debut yet. Crazy.

its not insecurity and please dont take offense but your previous posts came across wrong...

you are comparing c8 z06 to c7 z06...or wjatever gm calls the c8 model comparable to the z06...

i simply thought as you stated in earlier posts that the c8 would from the get go put the c7 z06 on the trailer...and thats not the case...thats not what you meant...

i now understand where your coming from...and yes the higher performance versions of the c8 will out perform their c7 counterparts model for model...just as they have for most previous generations...

happy new year

Old 12-30-2018, 07:11 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok let's get the debut year out of the way, let's call it 2 known problems. But easy fixes, ok the 2021 model is better, with the 2022 model having already the performance variant on the way. Now what?
Then I might get one. We'll see.
People need to get over it already. The C8 is going to be epic. I can't wait for the debut.
So can't wait for that DUUALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL CLUTCHHHHHHHHH!!! LOL
Geez dude, it will be one of many mid/rear-engine performance cars, and the other brands won't be standing still....

Last edited by Warp Factor; 12-30-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:30 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by JerriVette

its not insecurity and please dont take offense but your previous posts came across wrong...

you are comparing c8 z06 to c7 z06...or wjatever gm calls the c8 model comparable to the z06...

i simply thought as you stated in earlier posts that the c8 would from the get go put the c7 z06 on the trailer...and thats not the case...thats not what you meant...

i now understand where your coming from...and yes the higher performance versions of the c8 will out perform their c7 counterparts model for model...just as they have for most previous generations...

happy new year

Yes i didn't say a base C8 will outperform A C7Z/ZR. But a base model will definitely be a lot better than a C7 stingray, possibly even better than a C7 Z51.

But like the history goes, the evolution of a certain model is always better than the previous gen model.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:46 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

I fully expect the c8 z51 to out perform the c7 grand sport...

we are in agreement.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:50 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

I fully expect the c8 z51 to out perform the c7 grand sport...

we are in agreement.
Oh without a doubt.

Which is why i always question the people who buy GS's over Z's.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:20 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Oh without a doubt.

Which is why i always question the people who buy GS's over Z's.
the overall track performance and balance of the grand sport has qon quite the automotive journalist accolades as one of the most amazing performance values ....

i believe gm missed the boat for increased grand sport sales even during the c7 run with at least another forty hp....

meanwhile the c7 grand sport has been a great sales success.

i fully expect the c8 z51 to be quite impressive in both performance and consumer demand...

we can estimate the driving and performance of the c8 z51 with dct to be the equal of the ferrari 458 and slihtly exceed the mclaren 570..

for seventy or 80 grand as you siggested...thats not too shabby
Old 12-31-2018, 06:34 AM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

It's simple really.

The car gets better with each generation that comes out. Why do people think the buck stops here with the C7Z/ZR? Because we think there's nothing more left GM can give us? I man when the C6ZR came about, 638hp, that was out of this world. We didn't think that was possible. And it was, and it's an amazing car. Then the C7Z came out and wrecked that in terms of overall engineering, hp numbers, sales. Then GM did it again with the C7 ZR1.

Don't be fooled to think the performance had hit it's limit. GM has prepared a whole new level of performance with each type of variant you buy. Whether you start at base or go to the top tier model. Whether it's a hybrid, or some monster engine with twin turbos making 800hp. It will be an absolute beast.

And the reason they can pull off more hp numbers, is because now it's mid engine. And traction will be there. Or perhaps they might do something like the acura nsx. But that'll be pricey.

But again we're all speculating. And it's fun dreaming about what the car would be. But all we have to do is wait, because it is coming to reality. So it's not just a dream anymore, it's happening.

The greatest corvette will be made with the C8 generation. Everyone just look at your C7's. You love them right? I know i love mine. But when the C8 comes out, that love might be gone LOL
I don't doubt it will perform better. I just don't believe it's going to be world's better. That's all I'm saying. I believe this will be an incremental improvement over the current gen high end offerings. Different driving experience for sure with me but not light years apart in terms off performance.

Get notified of new replies

To C8--it must be tempting

Old 12-31-2018, 07:21 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

With a low polar movement of inertia with rear mid engine versus a c7 s 50 50 weight distribution front mid engine with a transaxle design will deliver a driving experience completely different..

not so much the lateral g s being pulled....
Old 12-31-2018, 09:07 AM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

With a low polar movement of inertia with rear mid engine versus a c7 s 50 50 weight distribution front mid engine with a transaxle design will deliver a driving experience completely different..

not so much the lateral g s being pulled....
That's basically what I was getting at. Yes very different feel in the way the car handles and drives. Raw performance? Not going to be light years apart. It's going to be fairly close. Again look to the current crop of super cars that are ME from the world's best to see what I'm saying. We hang in their world already without A ME design so using logic I can figure the performance will be in the same realm.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 09:41 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
First bullet covers it all. The rest are all unknowns. As for 1st year problems for at least the last two decades 1st year models aren't a concern. Most 1st year problems went away with the use of Computer Aided Design and modeling tools that reduced design issues considerably by ensuring mating parts did fit together and parts were sufficiently durable.

Bill
Fitting together and parts being durable, aren't really the issues. they always start lower powered.....and then they find little things that a computer could not identify...like that the oil can would be too small and starve the engine of oil when on the track and taking long hard curves. I have no need to be the first on the block with the C8, only to be disappointed when the next model year comes out way faster/better. The last model year of every generation has always been the best.

Quick Reply: C8--it must be tempting