C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Looking for input on the NX supercharger lid

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 09:55 PM
BrookenookZO6
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
What year is your Z06?
2018 1LZ M7....BMS Filter....Tony Mamo Ported Throttle Body....Borla X Pipe....Catless Magnaflow Comp Exhaust....
Old 03-21-2019, 10:07 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,837 Likes on 660 Posts

I've got the BMS filter, Mamo TB and an X-pipe as well on my '17. I wonder why you're not getting the loud whine everyone else has reported.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:18 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Driven yours anymore BrookenookZ06? Can you hear the increased whine at all?
Old 03-23-2019, 04:04 PM
BrookenookZO6
Racer

Driven yours anymore BrookenookZ06? Can you hear the increased whine at all?
Just got back from running a couple of errands around town....found a few opportunities to get on it a bit and...heard no whine....just my X Pipe and Exhaust ripping the air apart.... sounds just as the stock lid did...will say though....the difference in responsiveness and SOTP feel is really noticeable....
Old 03-23-2019, 04:39 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BrookenookZO6
Just got back from running a couple of errands around town....found a few opportunities to get on it a bit and...heard no whine....just my X Pipe and Exhaust ripping the air apart.... sounds just as the stock lid did...will say though....the difference in responsiveness and SOTP feel is really noticeable....
I'm disappointed to hear about the lack of whine, but the noticeable gain in responsiveness and feel might make it worth putting on. Btw, do you have the weatherstripping at the base of your windshield still on? I removed mine because it was supposed to help with the sound so I'm wondering if the new lid combined with that would make a difference.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:06 PM
BrookenookZO6
Racer

I'm disappointed to hear about the lack of whine, but the noticeable gain in responsiveness and feel might make it worth putting on. Btw, do you have the weatherstripping at the base of your windshield still on? I removed mine because it was supposed to help with the sound so I'm wondering if the new lid combined with that would make a difference.
No I definitely think it’s worth putting on just for the performance gain if anything!!! It seems most if not all others who have switched lids commented on a noticeable increase in the Supercharger whine....I don’t know.....it’s weird..... and kinda disappointing that I’m not getting ANY whine at all....it was 1 of the main reasons for me purchasing the lid and switching them out in the 1st place....yeah I still have my weatherstripping on and that will stay on.....will be interested to hear your results when you switch yours!!!
Old 03-24-2019, 10:37 AM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by BrookenookZO6
No I definitely think it’s worth putting on just for the performance gain if anything!!! It seems most if not all others who have switched lids commented on a noticeable increase in the Supercharger whine....I don’t know.....it’s weird..... and kinda disappointing that I’m not getting ANY whine at all....it was 1 of the main reasons for me purchasing the lid and switching them out in the 1st place....yeah I still have my weatherstripping on and that will stay on.....will be interested to hear your results when you switch yours!!!
Can you post a video so we can have a listen? Maybe try sending the manufacturer a quick email to see if it's normal to have increased whine after the installation of the lid
Old 03-24-2019, 05:16 PM
Ruderegime
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 101 Posts

Don't you have to remove the hood insulation and the hood weatherstripping to get the wine anyways?
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 07:21 PM
BrookenookZO6
Racer

Originally Posted by Ruderegime
Don't you have to remove the hood insulation and the hood weatherstripping to get the wine anyways?
That could very well be it Ruder....I haven’t and I’m not interested in removing either insulation or weatherstripping....maybe others can tell us their experience with removing one or both....
Old 03-24-2019, 09:15 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ruderegime
I've got the weatherstripping removed, but I'm going to keep the hood insulation on. I'll report back when I get my lid installed.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:41 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Devil
Can you post a video so we can have a listen? Maybe try sending the manufacturer a quick email to see if it's normal to have increased whine after the installation of the lid
FYI I recently called the manufacturer with regard to increased intake noise with their lid alone and they stressed that I would get no more sound from the supercharger than with the stock lid.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:17 AM
SGT_G
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
FYI I recently called the manufacturer with regard to increased intake noise with their lid alone and they stressed that I would get no more sound from the supercharger than with the stock lid.
I'm going to post another video today with my PRR showing my supercharger sound with the lid. It almost overpowers my exhaust.
BMadden (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 01:31 PM
BrookenookZO6
Racer

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Well...I don’t know what to believe now?? 🤪🤪 I guess the only way to hear it more is with the weatherstripping and Hood Liner removed....
Old 03-25-2019, 02:22 PM
SGT_G
Pro

Below is a video of the stock supercharger with the nx lid that also has the weatherstripping and hood insulation removed. Additionally I have a BMS filter, Mamo ported TB, Borla catless x pipe and BB Bullets exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ayD...ature=youtu.be
The following 7 users liked this post by SGT_G:
BlackBandit (07-27-2020), BMadden (03-25-2019), BrookenookZO6 (03-25-2019), mhpearlman (07-25-2020), Red Devil (03-25-2019), The Yav (07-12-2020), thelastday (03-25-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-25-2019, 05:09 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Wow, sounds like my buddies Hellcat, awesome!
Old 03-25-2019, 05:28 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SGT_G
Below is a video of the stock supercharger with the nx lid that also has the weatherstripping and hood insulation removed. Additionally I have a BMS filter, Mamo ported TB, Borla catless x pipe and BB Bullets exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ayD...ature=youtu.be
How much is the microphone in the PDR amplifying that sound vs. what you hear when you're actually driving it? Can you really hear it screaming like that from the driver's seat because if so that's damn impressive!
Old 03-25-2019, 05:30 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Compare SGT_G's video to this one. You can't hear any supercharger whine at all on this car.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for input on the NX supercharger lid

Old 03-25-2019, 05:37 PM
SGT_G
Pro

How much is the microphone in the PDR amplifying that sound vs. what you hear when you're actually driving it? Can you really hear it screaming like that from the driver's seat because if so that's damn impressive!
It's pretty damn close. When I go to car meets, people love hearing the deep exhaust note mixed with the very high pitched s/c scream.
BlackBandit (07-27-2020)
Old 03-25-2019, 05:55 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SGT_G
It's pretty damn close. When I go to car meets, people love hearing the deep exhaust note mixed with the very high pitched s/c scream.
Awesome. If I can hear anything close to that when I get mine on I'll be a happy camper. I've got the weatherstripping removed, but I don't think I'll get rid of the hood liner. I hope that doesn't muffle the sound too much.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:05 PM
SGT_G
Pro

Awesome. If I can hear anything close to that when I get mine on I'll be a happy camper. I've got the weatherstripping removed, but I don't think I'll get rid of the hood liner. I hope that doesn't muffle the sound too much.
It's a small difference to be honest.

Quick Reply: Looking for input on the NX supercharger lid